Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:32:43 -0700, Snit wrote: >> Linux is great, it's the better mousetrap. > > I am not disagreeing - bit what do you think Linux offers over other > common alternatives ... other than price? ...

  1. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:32:43 -0700, Snit wrote:

    >> Linux is great, it's the better mousetrap.

    > I am not disagreeing - bit what do you think Linux offers over other
    > common alternatives ... other than price?

    You're not agreeing, either. That is, your nuanced response confirms
    where you're coming from. From previous threads I know that you're mac
    head and either have no integrity or lack normal comprhension ability.

    Mac's are fine, but this begs the question of why a mac head trolls a
    Linux group.

    What, do you really need a list? Even with such a list, all you would
    reply with would be to babble on about how your students can't figure out
    how to open a folder.

    -Thufir

  2. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    John O. Kopf wrote:
    > the wharf rat wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > John O. Kopf wrote:
    > >> In Linux, you're asked to MOUNT the floppy - What is "MOUNT"? When

    > > Oh, horse****. (Troll****? Anyway...) Every Linux since 2001
    > > runs a volume manager when the graphical desktop is up. Damned things
    > > are in the way, but if you can't handle a mount command then they'll
    > > make it all work just like Windows.
    > >
    > > Geeez. I'm responding to trolls. Is there a doctor in the house?
    > >

    > My point is that the casual user inflicted with a mount insistence has
    > NO idea where to turn to determine what to do next. What does the
    > "volume manager" look like? Which icon brings it up?
    >
    > You snipped out my main point:
    >
    > "Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    > Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    > with it."
    >
    > John Kopf

    I'm sorry but that was a stupid statement. How do you get familiar with
    Linux in the first place? Maybe some are born with the knowledge?
    caver1

  3. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "thufir" stated in post
    rtddk.88260$gc5.84827@pd7urf2no on 7/9/08 6:20 PM:

    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:32:43 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >>> Linux is great, it's the better mousetrap.

    >> I am not disagreeing - bit what do you think Linux offers over other
    >> common alternatives ... other than price?

    > You're not agreeing, either.

    Damn, you are quick! I am asking a question - and since so many people in
    COLA draw silly conclusions and insist anyone who questions Linux must be
    against it I figured I would clarify so only the most extreme morons would
    not get it.

    And, looking below, you do not.

    What you do is spout of about the Mac... which is not even on topic (the
    topic is *Linux*, do you not get that?) and then you openly lie about my
    students (ah, you are obsessing over my professional life).

    Then you wonder why you are not able to understand my other comments - you ,
    someone who is completely unable to understand what you read.

    > That is, your nuanced response confirms where you're coming from. From
    > lack normal comprhension ability.
    >
    > Mac's are fine, but this begs the question of why a mac head trolls a
    > Linux group.
    >
    > What, do you really need a list?

    Need? What the heck are you talking about?

    > Even with such a list, all you would reply with would be to babble on about
    > how your students can't figure out how to open a folder.

    Please do not lie about me or my students. Thanks!

    --
    "And so, in no sense, is stability a reason to move to a new version. Itıs
    never a reason." - Bill Gates

  4. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "thufir" stated in post
    1jddk.67155$Jx.46253@pd7urf1no on 7/9/08 6:09 PM:

    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:25:53 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >>> In a utopia, sure, Linux would be the dominant OS *because* it's
    >>> better. Instead, ask *why* an inferior OS is dominant.

    >> ...better yet.
    >>
    >> Let's contemplate MS-DOS 5 vs. the original Macintosh.
    >>
    >> All the 68K machines blew away kludge clones in any technical criteria.

    > I have no idea what you're talking about, but that's ok

    At least this time you recognize you have no idea.

    That is a *huge* step up for you.

    --
    "Uh... ask me after we ship the next version of Windows [laughs] then I'll
    be more open to give you a blunt answer." - Bill Gates

  5. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    fake chrisv wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> Damian wrote:
    >>> With such a tiny installed linux base, makes you wonder how long any
    >>> of them will remain on the market. You can't stay in business long
    >>> even if all 7 linux users buy it.

    >> Idiot.
    >> Oh, hang on, that's Peter's line... Sorry Peter.

    > You can't take the truth very well, huh.

    What truth is that fake chrisv?
    If linux had such a pitiful userbase, there wouldn't be ANY proprietory
    software for it as it wouldn't be economically viable.
    Look at that list. Seems to be quite a bit (after all, that list was hardly
    exhaustive, was it?)

    There's a HELL of a lot more proprietory stuff than that.
    And you know why? Because it's so easy to port from Unix which was by
    definition a big business OS used on workstations covering almost every
    aspect of high end computing from graphics and audio production work to
    office and accounting. Oracle is MASSIVE for example. Some of their
    software dwarfs the cost of microsoft slopware by a VERY large amount.

    And many hardware manufacturers are bending over backwards to support linux
    now.

    In fact, some have been for nearly a decade. (Nvidia for one)
    Why would they waste their resources on such things if only "7 people" used
    it?

    You too are and idiot. And a coward. You can't even post under your real
    name, have to pretend to be someone else. (even though you've been known to
    be faking it for ages and no-one even believes you're the real chris_v
    anymore, so why continue to bother to consistently fail at discrediting him?)

    | in |good to you so far... |

  6. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "Damian" wrote in

    > DanS wrote:
    >> "Bob Eyster" wrote in
    >>
    >>> One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it.
    >>> I for one do not like open source apps, at present that's all that
    >>> seems available. I put Linux in the same boat as OS-2, there was no
    >>> interest in it plus no one wrote apps for it.

    >> Here's the problem.....for some reason, many people think that just
    >> because many Linux flavours are free (some aren't), that the only
    >> available s/w is free OSS. This is not the case. Here's a short list
    >> of commercial Linux apps, and a few larger players are
    >> represented......
    >>
    >> AccRev Enterprise v4.5.4
    >> Active State Komodo IDE v4.0.1
    >> AdventNet ManageEngine PasswordManager Pro v4.8
    >> AdventNet ManageEngine ServiceDesk Enterprise Plus v7.0

    >> Xilinx ChipScope Pro v9.2i x64
    >> Xilinx ChipScope Pro v9.2i x86
    >> Xilinx PlanAhead v9.2.7
    >>
    >> I'd also like to add RealBASIC 2007 to the list also. The 'Lite'
    >> version is free. But no the 'Pro' version. Additionally, in the 'Pro'
    >> version, if you stick with intrinsic functions and subs, the same
    >> source code can be used to compile for Windows, MAC, and Linux, with
    >> very little change.

    > With such a tiny installed linux base, makes you wonder how long any
    > of them will remain on the market.

    Only time will tell.

  7. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > You too are and idiot.

    That stands all by itself.

  8. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    CBFalconer, ye puking old sheep-whistling rogue, ye lispeth and wear
    strange suits, ye rued:

    **** off and die, you nutjob control freak.

    > for any articles that are crossposted to more than
    > two newsgroups. See this post. This has two major advantages:
    >
    > 1. It suppresses much of the spam.
    > 2. It prevents trying to send a message to a newsgroup your
    > server does not handle, and the associated errors.
    >
    > --
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

  9. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    chrisv wrote:
    > CBFalconer, ye puking old sheep-whistling rogue, ye lispeth and wear
    > strange suits, ye rued:
    >
    >> chrisv wrote:

    >>> We know. Don't feed the mentally-ill, lying troll.

    >> Please try to make a habit of always setting 'Followup-To' to a
    >> single newsgroup

    > **** off and die, you nutjob control freak.

    IAWTP

  10. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    thufir writes:

    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:32:43 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >>> Linux is great, it's the better mousetrap.

    >> I am not disagreeing - bit what do you think Linux offers over other
    >> common alternatives ... other than price?

    > You're not agreeing, either. That is, your nuanced response confirms
    > where you're coming from. From previous threads I know that you're mac
    > head and either have no integrity or lack normal comprhension ability.
    >
    > Mac's are fine, but this begs the question of why a mac head trolls a
    > Linux group.
    >
    > What, do you really need a list? Even with such a list, all you would
    > reply with would be to babble on about how your students can't figure out
    > how to open a folder.
    >

    > -Thufir

    You seem determined not to answer the question. I guess you are an
    "advocate" rather than an advocate.

  11. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > John O. Kopf wrote:
    >> My point is that the casual user inflicted with a mount insistence has
    >> NO idea where to turn to determine what to do next. What does the
    >> "volume manager" look like? Which icon brings it up?

    > It doesn't "look like" anything.
    > IT brings up the icons that represent the media that's inserted.
    > Put a CD in, and a CD icon appears on the desktop.
    > Put a memory stick in, and a hard disk icon appears on the desktop.
    > Put a memory card in, and a memory card icon appears on the desktop
    >
    > It may also pop up the file browser or (in the case of a digital camera
    > or digicam memory card) a graphics viewer.

    Actually depends on the distro, the DE of choice and the configuration
    of that DE. And Ray just uses the command line because he's clever
    enough apparently.

  12. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    CBFalconer writes:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote:
    >>
    >>> linux has become very easy to use.

    >> We know. Don't feed the mentally-ill, lying troll.

    > Please try to make a habit of always setting 'Followup-To' to a
    > single newsgroup for any articles that are crossposted to more than
    > two newsgroups. See this post. This has two major advantages:
    >
    > 1. It suppresses much of the spam.
    > 2. It prevents trying to send a message to a newsgroup your
    > server does not handle, and the associated errors.

    Do you never get tired of being a prissy old arsehole? You were posting
    with a double .sig for over a year before you silently took the advice
    kindly offered to you about better news servers and news clients. Get a
    life you interfering little busybody.

  13. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "Hadron" stated in post
    g54e6h$tjs$1@registered.motzarella.org on 7/10/08 12:36 AM:

    > thufir writes:

    >>> I am not disagreeing - bit what do you think Linux offers over other
    >>> common alternatives ... other than price?

    >> You're not agreeing, either. That is, your nuanced response confirms
    >> where you're coming from. From previous threads I know that you're mac
    >> head and either have no integrity or lack normal comprhension ability.
    >>
    >> Mac's are fine, but this begs the question of why a mac head trolls a
    >> Linux group.
    >>
    >> What, do you really need a list? Even with such a list, all you would
    >> reply with would be to babble on about how your students can't figure out
    >> how to open a folder.
    >>

    >> -Thufir

    > You seem determined not to answer the question. I guess you are an
    > "advocate" rather than an advocate.

    He babbled about Mac (Macs! What? Not even a part of the subject!) and
    then lies about my students.

    --
    Picture of a tuna milkshake: http://snipurl.com/f34z
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  14. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > DanS wrote:
    >> "Bob Eyster" wrote:
    >>
    >>> One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for
    >>> it. I for one do not like open source apps, at present that's
    >>> all that seems available. I put Linux in the same boat as OS-2,
    >>> there was no interest in it plus no one wrote apps for it.

    >> Here's the problem.....for some reason, many people think that
    >> just because many Linux flavours are free (some aren't), that
    >> the only available s/w is free OSS. This is not the case. Here's
    >> a short list of commercial Linux apps, and a few larger players
    >> are represented......
    >>
    >> AccRev Enterprise v4.5.4

    > ... snip about 50 ids ...
    >> Xilinx PlanAhead v9.2.7

    > Linux is released under GPL. All those groups must make the source
    > code available if they make the binaries available. Failure to
    > comply has stiff potential penalties.

    Where did you pull THAT one from?
    The only proprietory software on linux that needs to be GPL is that which
    statically links to LGPL libraries or links dynamically to GPL libs.

    As long as the software companies dynamically link to sensibly chosen
    LGPL libraries, they can do what the hell they want with their source code
    and licensing.

    That microsoft FUD (linux is a cancer) died years ago when everyone stomped
    on it.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  15. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Hadron wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell writes:
    >
    >> John O. Kopf wrote:
    >>> My point is that the casual user inflicted with a mount insistence has
    >>> NO idea where to turn to determine what to do next. What does the
    >>> "volume manager" look like? Which icon brings it up?

    >> It doesn't "look like" anything.
    >> IT brings up the icons that represent the media that's inserted.
    >> Put a CD in, and a CD icon appears on the desktop.
    >> Put a memory stick in, and a hard disk icon appears on the desktop.
    >> Put a memory card in, and a memory card icon appears on the desktop
    >>
    >> It may also pop up the file browser or (in the case of a digital camera
    >> or digicam memory card) a graphics viewer.

    > Actually depends on the distro, the DE of choice and the configuration
    > of that DE. And Ray just uses the command line because he's clever
    > enough apparently.

    So did I until ubuntu because, at least with SuSE a few years ago, automount
    was just intrusive. And it doesn't take a genius to type mount /media/cdrom
    anyway.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  16. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > chrisv wrote:
    >> F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote:
    >>
    >>> linux has become very easy to use.

    >> We know. Don't feed the mentally-ill, lying troll.

    > Please try to make a habit of always setting 'Followup-To' to a
    > single newsgroup for any articles that are crossposted to more than
    > two newsgroups. See this post. This has two major advantages:
    >
    > 1. It suppresses much of the spam.
    > 2. It prevents trying to send a message to a newsgroup your
    > server does not handle, and the associated errors.

    If the newsgroup is one to which I don't subscribe, I ignore followups.
    I'm not excluding myself from a conversation just because someone else
    thinks it's convenient.

  17. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >>> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded machines
    >>> in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >>>

    >> Where is this reported?
    >>
    >>> Why would that happen if Linux is so great?
    >>>

    >> You obviously never heard of Yellow Dog Linux.

    > Think you man red flag linux.
    > Yellowdog's the one for PowerPC, isn't it?

    Quite possibly. Linux is so widespread now it is difficult to keep track ;-)

    CHeers

    Ian

  18. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    John O. Kopf wrote:

    >> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    >> desktop market?

    > Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    > Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    > with it.

    Ubuntu is surely the best approach to make Linux accessible.
    The Linux community lost 15 years in desperate attempts to teach the
    bits and ropes to John Doe.

    Stuttleworth has understood to hide that stuff behind an acceptable GUI,
    and does an excellent job with Ubuntu.
    Now there is still a loooooong way in front of him.

    Additionally, Wine was not really a serious solution to run legacy
    programms. Also this is now coming close to maturity.

    And for the best: Microsoft is doing now mistakes on the top of mistakes...

    Wait and see.

    Laszlo

  19. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>
    >> You too are and idiot.

    > That stands all by itself.

    Poor fake chrisv, reduced to a lame spelling-lame.

    --
    A musician, an artist, an architect:
    the man or woman who is not one of these is not a Christian.

  20. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Linonut wrote:
    > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You too are and idiot.

    >> That stands all by itself.

    > Poor fake chrisv, reduced to a lame spelling-lame.

    indeedy. But then, strength of argument was never his... er... strong point.
    He's blunter than a sphere.