Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Ubuntu ; Moshe Goldfarb. wrote: > F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote: > >> you bore me and I dont want to get into a long thread - flamewar > > And you're an idiot. > Please try and learn something about the ...

  1. Re: Will Moshe EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote:
    >
    >> you bore me and I dont want to get into a long thread - flamewar

    > And you're an idiot.
    > Please try and learn something about the topic before posting and
    > confirming to the world that you don't have a clue what you are talking
    > about.

    http://tinyurl.com/599u38

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp,
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    Subject: Re: how open source has influenced Windows Server 2008 ..

    Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 03:21:24 +0000 (UTC)

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > Oh, I see you've met Redhat!!!
    > https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/server/

    Why do you continually crosspost to other newsgroups? Are you so desperate
    for attention? Is your aim to start flame wars between newsgroups? usenet
    used to be a relatively friendly place until the likes of you started
    abusing it.

    Your immature posting style says so much about your obvious lack of
    education / intelligence. I hope it is the former as that can be remedied.
    --
    HPT

  2. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    > Linux is free.
    > Linux applications are free.
    >
    > So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    > desktop market?

    Depends on your definition of 'market'. Most of these surveys consider
    only the US and Northern Europe. If you were to include South America,
    China and Africa I think you would find the figure is much higher.

    Cheers

    Ian

  3. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    * John O. Kopf peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    > Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    > with it.
    >
    > FOR EXAMPLE: You have a file you want to write on a PC; You open the My
    > "Computer Icon", find the "3 Floppy" icon, and drag/drop the file onto it.
    >
    > In Linux, you're asked to MOUNT the floppy - What is "MOUNT"? When
    > you're done, you have to UNMOUNT it. These are inherited from the
    > multi-user UNIX environment. Meaning is not obvious to the newcomer.

    The 1990's is calling you. They want their FUD back.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsbFlashDrives

    Mounting your USB drive

    Generally all you need to do to use your storage device is to plug it
    into a USB port. The device should be automatically recognised and
    appear on your GNOME desktop.

    --
    Nobody knows the trouble I've been.

  4. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.
    >>
    >> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of
    >> the desktop market?
    >>

    > Depends on your definition of 'market'. Most of these surveys consider
    > only the US and Northern Europe. If you were to include South America,
    > China and Africa I think you would find the figure is much higher.

    Don't expect any truth from Moshe AKA flatfish. His only purpose in this
    forum is to disrupt reasonable posts by spouting his lies and insulting
    forum participants.

    W3Schools has Linux hits at 3.6%. 42% of hits are from US, which is
    heavily invested in Microsoft Windows, skewing numbers. Measure of
    Internet usage can be sometimes useful in indicating trends, but usage of
    Internet hits is not accurate. In other parts of the world, unlimited
    or extended usage of Internet is not practical due to lack of
    affordability of telecommunication services.

    Current market share methodologies do not reflect installed base.

    --
    HPT

  5. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it. I for
    one do not like open source apps, at present that's all that seems
    available. I put Linux in the same boat as OS-2, there was no interest in it
    plus no one wrote apps for it.

    --

    Bob Eyster
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium

    "John O. Kopf" wrote in message
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.
    >>
    >> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    >> desktop market?
    >>
    >> Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    >> SNIP
    >>
    >> Unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves and the numbers say, Linux
    >> is a stinker.....
    >>
    >> Thanks to Kman for doing the research and posting the original thread..
    >>

    > Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    > Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar with
    > it.
    >
    > FOR EXAMPLE: You have a file you want to write on a PC; You open the My
    > "Computer Icon", find the "3 Floppy" icon, and drag/drop the file onto
    > it.
    >
    > In Linux, you're asked to MOUNT the floppy - What is "MOUNT"? When you're
    > done, you have to UNMOUNT it. These are inherited from the multi-user
    > UNIX environment. Meaning is not obvious to the newcomer.
    >
    > John Kopf

  6. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 18:27:11 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    > 1h9uwgq999vza$.1tyxyay4wjkmj.dlg@40tude.net on 7/8/08 6:19 PM:
    >
    >>> Boy are you incredibly stupid. Get your Mom to sign you up for the
    >>> teletubbies newsgroup.

    >> Is that another Linux distribution?
    >>
    >> Teletubby Linux?
    >>
    >> Wow, have we hit 1000 different versions of Linux yet?
    >>
    >> Hey, screw the fragmentation and confusion, it's all about choice!!!
    >>
    >> Go Linux!!
    >>
    >> You GO Girl!!!!!

    > What I find amusing is how they are all grouped as "Linux" when convenient
    > but then talked about as different OSs based on Linux when that makes things
    > look better.

    It is the same thing as:

    Linux is the kernel.
    Linux is not the kernel

    Depending upon what fits the Linux loons argument at any given time.

    Like DFS says, they talk out of both sides of their mouth.
    Total hypocrites the Linux advocates are.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:08:24 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.
    >>
    >> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    >> desktop market?
    >>

    > Depends on your definition of 'market'. Most of these surveys consider
    > only the US and Northern Europe. If you were to include South America,
    > China and Africa I think you would find the figure is much higher.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded machines
    in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.

    Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:19:04 +0000, John O. Kopf wrote:

    > In Linux, you're asked to MOUNT the floppy - What is "MOUNT"? When
    > you're done, you have to UNMOUNT it. These are inherited from the
    > multi-user UNIX environment. Meaning is not obvious to the newcomer.

    Who uses floppy drives anymore?

    -Thufir

  9. Re: Will PISTA EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 03:48:02 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Linux now expanding at the rate of 1 million+ desktops per week and
    > increasing.

    Err, sounds nice, but seems more hopeful than anything else.

    -Thufir

  10. Re: Will PISTA EVER hit 1 percent????

    thufir, ye big-bellied imperfect speaker, you ruinious butt, you
    whoreson indistinguishable cur, ye kecked:

    > Err, sounds nice, but seems more hopeful than anything else.

    Anyone who runs a high-end Intel-based server, you brainless linuxfuxktard.

  11. Re: Will fsckwits EVER get a life??

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.
    >>
    >> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of
    >> the desktop market?

    >Depends on your definition of 'market'

    Quit feeding the mentally-ill flatfish troll. It's been asking the same
    asinine question for YEARS, and it knows very well the answers, even
    answering the question himself, recently.

  12. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote:

    > linux has become very easy to use.

    We know. Don't feed the mentally-ill, lying troll.

  13. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:00:02 -0400, Bob Eyster wrote:

    > One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it. I for
    > one do not like open source apps, at present that's all that seems
    > available. I put Linux in the same boat as OS-2, there was no interest in it
    > plus no one wrote apps for it.

    That's part of the problem for sure.

    People just don't like Linux when they try it.
    It's like trying to fit a square peg (Linux) in a round hole (Windows).

    (Now don't get all excited High Plains Thumper and Marti)

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:00:02 -0400, Bob Eyster wrote:
    >
    >> One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it. I for
    >> one do not like open source apps, at present that's all that seems
    >> available. I put Linux in the same boat as OS-2, there was no interest in it
    >> plus no one wrote apps for it.

    > That's part of the problem for sure.
    >
    > People just don't like Linux when they try it.
    > It's like trying to fit a square peg (Linux) in a round hole (Windows).
    >
    > (Now don't get all excited High Plains Thumper and Marti)

    I have a suggestion for you Moshe: if you don't like Linux, don't use it
    and stop all the whining about people who do or don't.

  15. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    oev8dsb8ho2d.1xrja943sa4iw$.dlg@40tude.net on 7/9/08 7:03 AM:

    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 18:27:11 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    >> 1h9uwgq999vza$.1tyxyay4wjkmj.dlg@40tude.net on 7/8/08 6:19 PM:

    >>> Is that another Linux distribution?
    >>>
    >>> Teletubby Linux?
    >>>
    >>> Wow, have we hit 1000 different versions of Linux yet?
    >>>
    >>> Hey, screw the fragmentation and confusion, it's all about choice!!!
    >>>
    >>> Go Linux!!
    >>>
    >>> You GO Girl!!!!!

    >> What I find amusing is how they are all grouped as "Linux" when convenient
    >> but then talked about as different OSs based on Linux when that makes things
    >> look better.

    > It is the same thing as:
    >
    > Linux is the kernel.
    > Linux is not the kernel
    >
    > Depending upon what fits the Linux loons argument at any given time.
    >
    > Like DFS says, they talk out of both sides of their mouth.
    > Total hypocrites the Linux advocates are.

    Well, the trolling "advocates". I am a Linux Advocate... I hand out Ubuntu
    CDs, I encourage people to try it, I expose people to it. I just do not lie
    about it nor do I feign ignorance or target people's personal and business
    life when I lose Usenet debates and otherwise play silly games.

    Those who do such things are the trolls of COLA... *not* the advocates.

    --
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan Simpson

  16. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-08, John O. Kopf wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.
    >>
    >> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of the
    >> desktop market?
    >>
    >> Something that is free is used by so little of the population?
    >> SNIP
    >>
    >> Unfortunately the numbers speak for themselves and the numbers say, Linux
    >> is a stinker.....
    >>
    >> Thanks to Kman for doing the research and posting the original thread..
    >>

    > Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    > Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    > with it.
    >
    > FOR EXAMPLE: You have a file you want to write on a PC; You open the My
    > "Computer Icon", find the "3 Floppy" icon, and drag/drop the file onto it.

    Nope.

    In Linux, modern Linux that is, you see a desktop icon appear when a new
    disk is detected. It mounts itself. If you like, you can hunt it down
    in the Linux equivalent of the "My Computer" which from the main desktop
    menu is Places->Computer.

    [deletia]

    Even Solaris back in the depths of time had an automounter...

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  17. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    * Bob Eyster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it. I for
    > one do not like open source apps, at present that's all that seems
    > available. I put Linux in the same boat as OS-2, there was no interest in it
    > plus no one wrote apps for it.

    AH ahah aha ha ha ha ha!

    Oh, you're serious!

    AH ahah aha ha ha ha ha!

    Idiot.

    --
    Theory of Selective Supervision:
    The one time in the day that you lean back and relax is

  18. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Op Wed, 09 Jul 2008 10:06:24 -0400, schreef Moshe Goldfarb.:

    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:08:24 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >>> Linux is free.
    >>> Linux applications are free.
    >>>
    >>> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of
    >>> the desktop market?
    >>>

    >> Depends on your definition of 'market'. Most of these surveys consider
    >> only the US and Northern Europe. If you were to include South America,
    >> China and Africa I think you would find the figure is much higher.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    > machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >
    > Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    Don't be stupid, do you really think any of these guys payed a dime for
    their XP? Do you think these same guys would have done that if they had
    to pay?

  19. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:08:24 +0100, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.
    >>
    >> So, the question is why is Linux still sitting at below 1 percent of
    >> the desktop market?
    >>

    > Depends on your definition of 'market'. Most of these surveys consider
    > only the US and Northern Europe. If you were to include South America,
    > China and Africa I think you would find the figure is much higher.

    I seem to remember in the not too distant past listening to a radio
    program where they were talking about the IT policy in government
    departments in Brazil. They are specifying Open Source now as the saving
    is so vast. It makes sense in some economies where they desperately need
    access to technology to keep up with the rest of the world.

    "Hmmm, tricky decision... feed the population or buy Microsoft???"

    I've gone from being and MCSE and ardent PC/Windows advocate over to
    Macs. I now run Ubuntu on an Intel PC laptop. As a web developer running
    Linux servers it makes sense as I can have our content management system
    running locally to demo to clients when an internet connection isn't
    accessible.

    It also gives me a business advantage over my competitors. There is
    NOTHING that I can't do on Ubuntu... NOTHING. And it's cost me £0.

    Apart from this nagging Flash problem that I'm sure I'll solve
    eventually, I absolutely bloody love Ununtu. It was just the best thing
    I could have done!
    --
    Andy Jacobs

  20. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 10:00:02 -0400, Bob Eyster wrote:

    > One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it. I
    > for one do not like open source apps, at present that's all that seems
    > available. I put Linux in the same boat as OS-2, there was no interest
    > in it plus no one wrote apps for it.

    For a counter-example showing proprietary software running on Linux:

    http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

    Yup, lotsa software is FOSS -- firefox being the epitome (after Linux/GNU
    itself) but not all software for Linux is FOSS.

    -Thufir