Lexmark printer on Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Lexmark printer on Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Hello, A friend of mine has just installed Ubuntu, but realizes now that her Lexmark printer (3400 series) does not work... Does anyone have an experience installing this kind of printer? I've noticed that it is marked as working perfectly ...

  1. Lexmark printer on Ubuntu

    Hello,

    A friend of mine has just installed Ubuntu, but realizes now that her
    Lexmark printer (3400 series) does not work...

    Does anyone have an experience installing this kind of printer? I've
    noticed that it is marked as working perfectly on openprinting.org
    (http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...m=Lexmark-3400). But
    I don't know how to make it work on Ubuntu, if possible.

    Any advice is very welcome.

    --
    Patrick

  2. Re: Lexmark printer on Ubuntu

    Patrick schreef:
    > Hello,
    >
    > A friend of mine has just installed Ubuntu, but realizes now that her
    > Lexmark printer (3400 series) does not work...
    >
    > Does anyone have an experience installing this kind of printer? I've
    > noticed that it is marked as working perfectly on openprinting.org
    > (http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...m=Lexmark-3400). But
    > I don't know how to make it work on Ubuntu, if possible.
    >
    > Any advice is very welcome.

    is it connected with a USB cable?

  3. Re: Lexmark printer on Ubuntu

    Le 08.07.2008 22:51, Ro a écrit :
    > Patrick schreef:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> A friend of mine has just installed Ubuntu, but realizes now that her
    >> Lexmark printer (3400 series) does not work...
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an experience installing this kind of printer? I've
    >> noticed that it is marked as working perfectly on openprinting.org
    >> (http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...m=Lexmark-3400).
    >> But I don't know how to make it work on Ubuntu, if possible.
    >>
    >> Any advice is very welcome.
    >>

    > is it connected with a USB cable?

    Yes. Any clue?

  4. Re: Lexmark printer on Ubuntu

    Patrick schreef:
    > Le 08.07.2008 22:51, Ro a écrit :
    >> Patrick schreef:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> A friend of mine has just installed Ubuntu, but realizes now that her
    >>> Lexmark printer (3400 series) does not work...
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have an experience installing this kind of printer? I've
    >>> noticed that it is marked as working perfectly on openprinting.org
    >>> (http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...m=Lexmark-3400).
    >>> But I don't know how to make it work on Ubuntu, if possible.
    >>>
    >>> Any advice is very welcome.
    >>>

    >> is it connected with a USB cable?

    > Yes. Any clue?

    after connect to usb -> did Ubuntu offers you a generic printer driver?
    if not; try a different usb port after reboot.

    Can ubuntu 'see' the device? or is there no response at all?

  5. Re: Lexmark printer on Ubuntu

    On 2008-07-08, Patrick hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > A friend of mine has just installed Ubuntu, but realizes now that her
    > Lexmark printer (3400 series) does not work...
    >
    > Does anyone have an experience installing this kind of printer? I've
    > noticed that it is marked as working perfectly on openprinting.org
    > (http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...m=Lexmark-3400). But
    > I don't know how to make it work on Ubuntu, if possible.
    >
    > Any advice is very welcome.

    "http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/CUPSDocumentation"

    The instruction for CUPS was on the same website you posted.
    In *Ubuntu (I'm using XFCE) so the Menu could be different.
    Sytems | Settings | Printer (or Printing as in my case)
    "New Printer" (the printer should be turned on) then it could be
    recognized as a "USB" device, then you need to select the model.

    Or you follow the instructions using CUPS.

    I hope you get this going...

    Dragomir Kollaric

  6. Re: Lexmark printer on Ubuntu

    Hi again,

    Le 09.07.2008 20:31, Dragomir Kollaric a écrit :
    > On 2008-07-08, Patrick hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>
    >> A friend of mine has just installed Ubuntu, but realizes now that her
    >> Lexmark printer (3400 series) does not work...
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an experience installing this kind of printer? I've
    >> noticed that it is marked as working perfectly on openprinting.org
    >> (http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...m=Lexmark-3400). But
    >> I don't know how to make it work on Ubuntu, if possible.
    >>

    > "http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/CUPSDocumentation"
    >
    > The instruction for CUPS was on the same website you posted.
    > In *Ubuntu (I'm using XFCE) so the Menu could be different.
    > Sytems | Settings | Printer (or Printing as in my case)
    > "New Printer" (the printer should be turned on) then it could be
    > recognized as a "USB" device, then you need to select the model.

    Thanks for your reply.
    The printer is recognized as USB device, however the model (3400) does
    not exist in the database.

    > Or you follow the instructions using CUPS.

    I've read this, but the Lexmark 3400 page has no PPD file. The page is
    marked as "not verified" and indeed the recommended driver is "epsonc"
    which seems an odd choice for a Lexmark printer.

    Other suggestions are welcome.

    --
    Patrick

  7. Re: Lexmark printer on Ubuntu

    On 2008-07-09, Patrick hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Hi again,
    >
    > Le 09.07.2008 20:31, Dragomir Kollaric a écrit :
    >> On 2008-07-08, Patrick hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>>
    >>> A friend of mine has just installed Ubuntu, but realizes now that her
    >>> Lexmark printer (3400 series) does not work...
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have an experience installing this kind of printer? I've
    >>> noticed that it is marked as working perfectly on openprinting.org
    >>> (http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...m=Lexmark-3400). But
    >>> I don't know how to make it work on Ubuntu, if possible.
    >>>

    >> "http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/CUPSDocumentation"
    >>
    >> The instruction for CUPS was on the same website you posted.
    >> In *Ubuntu (I'm using XFCE) so the Menu could be different.
    >> Sytems | Settings | Printer (or Printing as in my case)
    >> "New Printer" (the printer should be turned on) then it could be
    >> recognized as a "USB" device, then you need to select the model.

    > Thanks for your reply.
    > The printer is recognized as USB device, however the model (3400) does
    > not exist in the database.
    >

    >> Or you follow the instructions using CUPS.

    > I've read this, but the Lexmark 3400 page has no PPD file. The page is
    > marked as "not verified" and indeed the recommended driver is "epsonc"
    > which seems an odd choice for a Lexmark printer.

    Yeah I have seen and read a bit more on this. But have
    you/he tried it? I don't think that this would be typo.

    I've seen a 3200 driver for a Lexmark, have you tried that?

    Sometimes other drivers could work. But seriously I doubt
    it. I hate the thought of having to dual boot into a another
    OS just to print a few pages. Come to think of it, one
    printer I used I could only change the cartridge if I booted
    win98, and I kept that installation til I got me another
    printer. I know it doesn't help here, but I tell you this so
    that you know I sympathize with him.

    So maybe he should set on his wish-list for x-mas a new printer.

    Sorry other then that I can't give you more advice....