split screen - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on split screen - Ubuntu ; Hi. Is it possible to split the screen automatic in ubuntu . I'm using a 24" widescreen and want to split the screen so I have left a newsreader and right a browser, manualy this is no problem, but automatic ...

  1. split screen

    Hi.

    Is it possible to split the screen automatic in ubuntu . I'm using a 24"
    widescreen and want to split the screen so I have left a newsreader and
    right a browser, manualy this is no problem, but automatic ?

    grtz PaulX

  2. Re: split screen

    * -=MrX=- peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Is it possible to split the screen automatic in ubuntu . I'm using a 24"
    > widescreen and want to split the screen so I have left a newsreader and
    > right a browser, manualy this is no problem, but automatic ?

    Click on the system menu of each of the two windows after you've sized
    and located them. Then select the Remember option for each (if your
    window manager supports it).

    Some Window managers will let you save the running configuration when
    you log off, too.

    There are other ways I've heard of, but don't remember off-hand.

    --
    Perl 5 introduced everything else, including the ability to introduce
    everything else.

  3. Re: split screen

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:14:08 +0200
    -=MrX=- wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > Is it possible to split the screen automatic in ubuntu . I'm using a
    > 24" widescreen and want to split the screen so I have left a
    > newsreader and right a browser, manualy this is no problem, but
    > automatic ?
    >
    > grtz PaulX

    Not exactly what you're looking for, but... if you use KDE, you can
    tell it to remember the size and position of any window. So after you
    place the newsreader and browser where you want them to be, that's
    where they'll always be placed by default.

    jeff

  4. Re: split screen

    Linonut wrote:
    > * -=MrX=- peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Is it possible to split the screen automatic in ubuntu . I'm using a 24"
    >> widescreen and want to split the screen so I have left a newsreader and
    >> right a browser, manualy this is no problem, but automatic ?

    > Click on the system menu of each of the two windows after you've sized
    > and located them. Then select the Remember option for each (if your
    > window manager supports it).
    >
    > Some Window managers will let you save the running configuration when
    > you log off, too.
    >
    > There are other ways I've heard of, but don't remember off-hand.

    There's no button 'remember' .

  5. Re: split screen

    Jeff wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:14:08 +0200
    > -=MrX=- wrote:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to split the screen automatic in ubuntu . I'm using a
    >> 24" widescreen and want to split the screen so I have left a
    >> newsreader and right a browser, manualy this is no problem, but
    >> automatic ?
    >>
    >> grtz PaulX

    > Not exactly what you're looking for, but... if you use KDE, you can
    > tell it to remember the size and position of any window. So after you
    > place the newsreader and browser where you want them to be, that's
    > where they'll always be placed by default.
    >
    > jeff

    I'm using gnome. thnx anyway.

  6. Re: split screen

    On 07/09/2008 04:56 AM -=MrX=- scribbled:

    > Jeff wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:14:08 +0200
    >> -=MrX=- wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to split the screen automatic in ubuntu . I'm using a
    >>> 24" widescreen and want to split the screen so I have left a
    >>> newsreader and right a browser, manualy this is no problem, but
    >>> automatic ?
    >>>
    >>> grtz PaulX

    >> Not exactly what you're looking for, but... if you use KDE, you can
    >> tell it to remember the size and position of any window. So after you
    >> place the newsreader and browser where you want them to be, that's
    >> where they'll always be placed by default.
    >>
    >> jeff

    > I'm using gnome. thnx anyway.

    its under system>preferences>sessions session settings tab...

  7. Re: split screen

    On 2008-07-09, -=MrX=- hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * -=MrX=- peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to split the screen automatic in ubuntu . I'm using a 24"
    >>> widescreen and want to split the screen so I have left a newsreader and
    >>> right a browser, manualy this is no problem, but automatic ?

    >> Click on the system menu of each of the two windows after you've sized
    >> and located them. Then select the Remember option for each (if your
    >> window manager supports it).
    >>
    >> Some Window managers will let you save the running configuration when
    >> you log off, too.
    >>
    >> There are other ways I've heard of, but don't remember off-hand.
    >>

    > There's no button 'remember' .

    Lemme see, ah the old "~/.Xsession" or ~/.Xdefault might be of help
    here. I'm not entirely sure if this is still the case..

    Here are a couple of entries:

    xterm.vt100.geometry: 109x14+-6+60
    Terminal.vt100.geometry: 139x15+0+0
    !xfterm4.geometry: 139x15+0+0
    !xterm.geometry: 97x8+0+54
    !Netscape.geometry: 1022x746
    Netscape.geometry: 1150x840+-6+-6
    +++++++++++++++

    As I said I'm not entirely sure but you can split the window in such
    a way that the applications will start in a certain size and
    location on your screen. I had once XMSS configured to have it's
    three application, Player Equalizer and Play-list each time on the
    same place on the Window. If you use more Workspaces and you start
    the application it will be on the same spot too.

    !! xrdb -merge .Xresources or xrdb -load ~/.Xresources
    !-------------------START of XEMACS SETTINGS ---------------------

    OK in Gnome IIRC when you click on a Window to move it, one can see
    the geometry in a box. Use them and put it into the file.
    It could be that in gnome you need to create the .Xdefault or
    ..Xresources file. I simply symlinked one to the other.
    I'm a old ICEWM and XFCE user and sometimes I used Gnome.

    Maybe I fire up gnome just to see till then.

    Hope that this can get you on the right track....

    Dragomir Kollaric

  8. Re: split screen

    -=MrX=- wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Is it possible to split the screen automatic in ubuntu . I'm using a 24"
    > widescreen and want to split the screen so I have left a newsreader and
    > right a browser, manualy this is no problem, but automatic ?

    I know I've read of an application that will do that, but I don't
    remember it. The window manager is responsable for handling this, and
    metacity is the usual wm.

    Install enlightenment, package may be e16. You'll have an option to
    start e16-gnome-desktop or somesuch which uses enlightenment as wm.

    This does override some settings for window design, and doesn't allow
    you to move to a different desktop in the context menu.

    There are probably other window managers you can use with gnome as
    well.

    If you only care about these two apps:

    Set it up how you want them.
    Open an xterm and type xwininfo.
    Click in the first window and note the -geometry line.
    Create a shortcut to start that application and add the -geometry
    WxH+x+y.
    Repeat

    For slrn I use:
    xterm -geometry 80x24+384+256 -e slrn -h news.motzarella.org

    Unfortunately some programs misbehave, such as firefox.

    Google wmctrl, there was an article about it LinuxJournal in March
    2008. That is the command I was trying to recall earlier.

    HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Men do not stumble over mountains but molehills.

  9. Re: split screen

    * Jeff peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:14:08 +0200
    > -=MrX=- wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to split the screen automatic in ubuntu . I'm using a
    >> 24" widescreen and want to split the screen so I have left a
    >> newsreader and right a browser, manualy this is no problem, but
    >> automatic ?
    >>
    >> grtz PaulX

    > Not exactly what you're looking for, but... if you use KDE, you can
    > tell it to remember the size and position of any window. So after you
    > place the newsreader and browser where you want them to be, that's
    > where they'll always be placed by default.

    I screwed myself up with that feature in fluxbox. I told fluxbox to
    remember the Head and Workspace for Iceweasel. The next day, I kept
    wondering why it wasn't appearing. But it was, on Head 1, Workspace 2.

    Doh!

    --
    Nobody said computers were going to be polite.

+ Reply to Thread