Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04? - Ubuntu ; Hello, I have a rather old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 installed and working smoothly. Now I find myself needing some additional storage (my HD is just 60GB) and a solution to backup sensitive files, and I'm considering ...

  1. Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    Hello, I have a rather old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with Ubuntu 8.04
    installed and working smoothly. Now I find myself needing some
    additional storage (my HD is just 60GB) and a solution to backup
    sensitive files, and I'm considering buying one of these USB-powered
    2.5'' external drives.

    Are you aware of some specific brand/models that are known to work well
    on Ubuntu? Or, of some brands to avoid for the same reasons?

    Thanks very much
    Giuseppe

  2. Re: Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    Giuseppe:G: wrote:
    > Hello, I have a rather old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with Ubuntu 8.04
    > installed and working smoothly. Now I find myself needing some
    > additional storage (my HD is just 60GB) and a solution to backup
    > sensitive files, and I'm considering buying one of these USB-powered
    > 2.5'' external drives.
    >
    > Are you aware of some specific brand/models that are known to work well
    > on Ubuntu? Or, of some brands to avoid for the same reasons?
    >
    > Thanks very much
    > Giuseppe

    Buy a ATA hard drive with an external USB enclosure. It's cheaper and if
    the hard drive dies, you can replace it easily. You can format the
    external hard drive in NTFS so that it will work both with XP and Ubuntu.

  3. Re: Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:59:07 +0100, wrote:

    > Hello, I have a rather old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with Ubuntu 8.04
    > installed and working smoothly. Now I find myself needing some additional
    > storage (my HD is just 60GB) and a solution to backup sensitive files,
    > and I'm considering buying one of these USB-powered 2.5'' external drives.
    >
    > Are you aware of some specific brand/models that are known to work well on
    > Ubuntu? Or, of some brands to avoid for the same reasons?

    Since this isn't a popular scenario your chances of getting an answer from
    someone who has purchased a 2.5" external drive and used it with Ubuntu
    are pretty slim. However, I have a home made 2.5" external drive that
    works well with Ubuntu. The drive is a Seagate Momentus 100 gb in a Mad
    Dog external case formatted with NTFS. I would venture to say that any USB
    drive is going to work. However some newer externals that may have a power
    saving spindown mode may give you problems. There are ways around this
    though, I've done some reading on it.

    If you purchase a ready made drive and it doesn't work you can always
    return it.

  4. Re: Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    Giuseppe:G: wrote:
    > Hello, I have a rather old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with Ubuntu 8.04
    > installed and working smoothly. Now I find myself needing some
    > additional storage (my HD is just 60GB) and a solution to backup
    > sensitive files, and I'm considering buying one of these USB-powered
    > 2.5'' external drives.
    >
    > Are you aware of some specific brand/models that are known to work well
    > on Ubuntu? Or, of some brands to avoid for the same reasons?
    >
    > Thanks very much
    > Giuseppe

    I've been confidently using a wd drive with Ubutu/XP for about a year
    now for the same purpose,

    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=325

    Suspect the external power adaptor is the weakest part of the unit so
    generally don't leave it on all the time,

    Only problem I had was caused by not emptying the trash before soft
    disconnection.

    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=325

    --
    Bob
    If you must ask some God why those alcoholics keep on drinking - also

  5. Re: Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:59:07 +0100, wrote:

    > Hello, I have a rather old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with Ubuntu 8.04
    > installed and working smoothly. Now I find myself needing some additional
    > storage (my HD is just 60GB) and a solution to backup sensitive files,
    > and I'm considering buying one of these USB-powered 2.5'' external drives.

    The Western Digital Passport drives are good.

    I own an 80GiB version.

    MAKE SURE that the laptop has USB version 2.0, not an earlier version. An
    older, slower USB bus will make the drive unbearably slow.

    You can go to newegg.com, and buy a fast 16GiB flash drive. You can do a
    lot with 16GiB, and it will be faster than a hard drive.

    --
    He who is unable to live in society, or
    who has no need because he is sufficient

    -- Aristotle

  6. Re: Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    "Giuseppe:G:" wrote in message
    > Hello, I have a rather old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with Ubuntu 8.04
    > installed and working smoothly. Now I find myself needing some additional
    > storage (my HD is just 60GB) and a solution to backup sensitive files,
    > and I'm considering buying one of these USB-powered 2.5'' external drives.
    >
    > Are you aware of some specific brand/models that are known to work well on
    > Ubuntu? Or, of some brands to avoid for the same reasons?
    >
    > Thanks very much
    > Giuseppe

    In June I bought a Maxtor 250Gbyte 2.5" USB drive and it works perfectly on
    my Dell Inspiron 1000 using Ubuntu 7.10. Came formatted NTSP. Was plug and
    play. Drive also works perfectly on my desktop XP.

  7. Re: Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    slikdata@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > In June I bought a Maxtor 250Gbyte 2.5" USB drive and it works perfectly on
    > my Dell Inspiron 1000 using Ubuntu 7.10. Came formatted NTSP. Was plug and
    > play. Drive also works perfectly on my desktop XP.

    Thanks. Does it need to be connected to both usb ports in order to work
    or 1 is ok?

    Giuseppe

  8. Re: Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:26:40 +0100, wrote:

    > slikdata@bellsouth.net wrote:
    >> In June I bought a Maxtor 250Gbyte 2.5" USB drive and it works perfectly
    >> on my Dell Inspiron 1000 using Ubuntu 7.10. Came formatted NTSP. Was
    >> plug and play. Drive also works perfectly on my desktop XP.

    > Thanks. Does it need to be connected to both usb ports in order to work or
    > 1 is ok?
    >
    > Giuseppe

    If there is not enough power from one port you would need to power it from
    a wall adapter or USB power adapter. My external 2.5 won't start on one
    connection but it will run on one connection.

  9. Re: Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    "Giuseppe:G:" wrote in message
    > slikdata@bellsouth.net wrote:
    >> In June I bought a Maxtor 250Gbyte 2.5" USB drive and it works perfectly
    >> on my Dell Inspiron 1000 using Ubuntu 7.10. Came formatted NTSP. Was
    >> plug and play. Drive also works perfectly on my desktop XP.

    > Thanks. Does it need to be connected to both usb ports in order to work or
    > 1 is ok?
    >
    > Giuseppe

    It runs on the Inspiron with just the "Power + Data" USB plug in the laptop.

  10. Re: Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    On 2008-07-08, Meat Plow hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:59:07 +0100, wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, I have a rather old Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop with Ubuntu 8.04
    >> installed and working smoothly. Now I find myself needing some additional
    >> storage (my HD is just 60GB) and a solution to backup sensitive files,
    >> and I'm considering buying one of these USB-powered 2.5'' external drives.
    >>
    >> Are you aware of some specific brand/models that are known to work well on
    >> Ubuntu? Or, of some brands to avoid for the same reasons?

    > Since this isn't a popular scenario your chances of getting an answer from
    > someone who has purchased a 2.5" external drive and used it with Ubuntu
    > are pretty slim. However, I have a home made 2.5" external drive that
    > works well with Ubuntu. The drive is a Seagate Momentus 100 gb in a Mad
    > Dog external case formatted with NTFS. I would venture to say that any USB
    > drive is going to work. However some newer externals that may have a power
    > saving spindown mode may give you problems. There are ways around this
    > though, I've done some reading on it.

    I too use a "home-build" 2,5" external HDD 20GB. Bought the HDD from a
    auction-website wanted to refurbish a old Laptop, but then it got
    whacked off the table and there was no sense in fixing it. So I went
    and got me a enclosure for the drive. I split the drive 10/10
    ext3/vfat and have been using it without much problems. I had
    troubles with the cables though had to buy two of them then it
    worked.

    > If you purchase a ready made drive and it doesn't work you can always
    > return it.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  11. Re: Which external 2.5'' on Ubuntu 8.04?

    I have built several external discs, both 2.5 and 3.5 from bare drives and
    enclosures.

    All work well with Ubuntu. The brand is irrelevant - the key is to use NTFS
    and USB 2.0.

    "p" wrote in message news:g4vojm$auj$1@aioe.org...
    > Giuseppe:G: wrote:
    >>
    >> Are you aware of some specific brand/models that are known to work well
    >> on Ubuntu? Or, of some brands to avoid for the same reasons?

+ Reply to Thread