editing bashrc - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on editing bashrc - Ubuntu ; I'm using 8.04. In preparing to use laszlo, I've installed the Java skd1.4. Part of the installation required that I edit bashrc. Using Places/search for, I have found the file and made the required changes but I'm unable to save ...

  1. editing bashrc

    I'm using 8.04. In preparing to use laszlo, I've installed the Java
    skd1.4. Part of the installation required that I edit bashrc. Using
    Places/search for, I have found the file and made the required changes
    but I'm unable to save changes. I get a 'you do not have permission'
    message.

    Questions are two fold. What should I be using to edit this and how do I
    save the changes.

    tia

  2. Re: editing bashrc

    frank wrote:
    > I'm using 8.04. In preparing to use laszlo, I've installed the Java
    > skd1.4. Part of the installation required that I edit bashrc. Using
    > Places/search for, I have found the file and made the required changes
    > but I'm unable to save changes. I get a 'you do not have permission'
    > message.

    > Questions are two fold. What should I be using to edit this and how do I
    > save the changes.

    In a Terminal type
    sudo gedit /path/to/file/filename

    What bashrc did you find? I only have
    /root/.bashrc
    /someuser/.bashrc
    /etc/bash.bashrc

    None of these is called bashrc.

    --
    Niklaus

  3. Re: editing bashrc

    * frank wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > I'm using 8.04. In preparing to use laszlo, I've installed the Java
    > skd1.4. Part of the installation required that I edit bashrc. Using
    > Places/search for, I have found the file and made the required changes
    > but I'm unable to save changes. I get a 'you do not have permission'
    > message.
    >
    > Questions are two fold. What should I be using to edit this and how
    > do I save the changes.
    >
    > tia

    copy the file to your home directory

    cp /etc/bashrc ~/.bashrc

    and edit it there. You may need to change permissions/ownership to edit
    it. Use the editor of your choice, its a flat text file.

    chown frank:frank ~/.bashrc

    to change the owner from root to frank if necessary.

    --
    David

+ Reply to Thread