How to remove Ubuntu ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to remove Ubuntu ? - Ubuntu ; I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would like to fix this problem or be able to remove it.I tried ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: How to remove Ubuntu ?

  1. How to remove Ubuntu ?

    I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would
    like to fix this problem or be able to remove it.I tried throught Vista
    and also through Ubuntu but nothing happens.

    Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

    Tom

  2. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    * Tom Canavan wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    > Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would
    > like to fix this problem or be able to remove it.I tried throught Vista
    > and also through Ubuntu but nothing happens.
    >
    > Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Tom
    >


    Format the partition under windows and reboot using the rescue CD and run
    fixmbr at the rescue prompt.

    What do you mean by you tried through Vista and then Ubuntu and nothing
    happens?

    --
    David

  3. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Tom Canavan wrote:
    > I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    > Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would
    > like to fix this problem or be able to remove it.I tried throught Vista
    > and also through Ubuntu but nothing happens.


    What's the name of your graphics chip?

    Do the display problems also happen with the live cd?

    Are you using the latest Ubuntu 8.04.1?

    --
    Niklaus

  4. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Tom Canavan wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    >> Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would
    >> like to fix this problem or be able to remove it.I tried throught Vista
    >> and also through Ubuntu but nothing happens.
    >>
    >> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    >
    > Format the partition under windows and reboot using the rescue CD and run
    > fixmbr at the rescue prompt.
    >
    > What do you mean by you tried through Vista and then Ubuntu and nothing
    > happens?
    >

    Going to the control panel and uninstalling and also clicking on the
    uninstall button in Ubuntu

  5. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > Tom Canavan wrote:
    >> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    >> Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would
    >> like to fix this problem or be able to remove it.I tried throught Vista
    >> and also through Ubuntu but nothing happens.

    >
    > What's the name of your graphics chip?
    >
    > Do the display problems also happen with the live cd?
    >
    > Are you using the latest Ubuntu 8.04.1?
    >

    ATI RADEON Xpress1150 Xpress1150 with 256MB HyperMemory for Inspiron 1501

    I have never tried the live cd

    Yes on Ubuntu 8.04.1

  6. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    * Tom Canavan wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Tom Canavan wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot
    >>> into Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing
    >>> jiggles.I would like to fix this problem or be able to remove it.I
    >>> tried throught Vista and also through Ubuntu but nothing happens.
    >>>
    >>> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>>

    >>
    >> Format the partition under windows and reboot using the rescue CD and
    >> run fixmbr at the rescue prompt.
    >>
    >> What do you mean by you tried through Vista and then Ubuntu and
    >> nothing happens?
    >>

    > Going to the control panel and uninstalling and also clicking on the
    > uninstall button in Ubuntu
    >


    Did you install using wubi?

    --
    David

  7. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Tom Canavan wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> SINNER wrote:
    >>> * Tom Canavan wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>>
    >>>> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot
    >>>> into Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing
    >>>> jiggles.I would like to fix this problem or be able to remove it.I
    >>>> tried throught Vista and also through Ubuntu but nothing happens.
    >>>>
    >>>> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>>
    >>>> Tom
    >>>>
    >>> Format the partition under windows and reboot using the rescue CD and
    >>> run fixmbr at the rescue prompt.
    >>>
    >>> What do you mean by you tried through Vista and then Ubuntu and
    >>> nothing happens?
    >>>

    >> Going to the control panel and uninstalling and also clicking on the
    >> uninstall button in Ubuntu
    >>

    >
    > Did you install using wubi?
    >

    Yes. I would like to get it running instead of getting rid of it

  8. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Tom Canavan schrieb:

    > I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    > Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would


    Edit xorg.conf and add the right screen resolution(s) as "Display"
    SubSections under the "Screen"-Section.

    Martin.
    --
    OS: openSUSE 10.2 (i586)
    Kernel: 2.6.18.8-0.10-default
    KDE: 3.5.9 "release 64.2"


  9. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    On 2008-07-08, Tom Canavan hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Tom Canavan wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> SINNER wrote:
    >>>> * Tom Canavan wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot
    >>>>> into Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing
    >>>>> jiggles.I would like to fix this problem or be able to remove it.I
    >>>>> tried throught Vista and also through Ubuntu but nothing happens.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Tom
    >>>>>
    >>>> Format the partition under windows and reboot using the rescue CD and
    >>>> run fixmbr at the rescue prompt.
    >>>>
    >>>> What do you mean by you tried through Vista and then Ubuntu and
    >>>> nothing happens?
    >>>>
    >>> Going to the control panel and uninstalling and also clicking on the
    >>> uninstall button in Ubuntu
    >>>

    >>
    >> Did you install using wubi?
    >>

    > Yes. I would like to get it running instead of getting rid of it


    Try running the live CD-ROM if it works OK then you could save
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf. But if the CD-rom gives you the same problem
    then it would need a bit more tweaking.

    It used that one could reconfigure the xorg.conf by running:
    "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xorg.conf" but I gather this is no
    longer the case.



    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    This signature is licensed under the GPL and may be
    freely distributed as long as a copy of the GPL is included... :-)


  10. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-07-08, Tom Canavan hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > > SINNER wrote:
    > >> * Tom Canavan wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > >>
    > >>> SINNER wrote:
    > >>>> * Tom Canavan wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > >>>>
    > >>>>> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot
    > >>>>> into Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing
    > >>>>> jiggles.I would like to fix this problem or be able to remove it.I
    > >>>>> tried throught Vista and also through Ubuntu but nothing happens.
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>> Tom
    > >>>>>
    > >>>> Format the partition under windows and reboot using the rescue CD and
    > >>>> run fixmbr at the rescue prompt.
    > >>>>
    > >>>> What do you mean by you tried through Vista and then Ubuntu and
    > >>>> nothing happens?
    > >>>>
    > >>> Going to the control panel and uninstalling and also clicking on the
    > >>> uninstall button in Ubuntu
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >> Did you install using wubi?
    > >>

    > > Yes. I would like to get it running instead of getting rid of it


    > Try running the live CD-ROM if it works OK then you could save
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf. But if the CD-rom gives you the same problem
    > then it would need a bit more tweaking.


    > It used that one could reconfigure the xorg.conf by running:
    > "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xorg.conf" but I gather this is no
    > longer the case.


    Do you mean "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"? AFAIK it still does some
    reconfiguring but in a different way than before.

    --
    Niklaus

  11. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Niklaus Kuehnis illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > Do you mean "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"? AFAIK it still does some
    > reconfiguring but in a different way than before.


    Xorg 7.3 simply backs up your xorg.conf and replaces it with a "safe
    option".

    This is perhaps a good thing for the new user and does give it a
    "bulletproof" feel, but it makes it a bit awkward to "unlearn" what
    you've learned.

    --
    "Women: You can't live with them, and you can't get them to dress up in
    a skimpy little Nazi costume and beat you with a warm squash or
    something..." ~ Emo Philips

  12. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    On 2008-07-09, Niklaus Kuehnis hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> It used that one could reconfigure the xorg.conf by running:
    >> "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow xorg.conf" but I gather this is no
    >> longer the case.

    >
    > Do you mean "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"? AFAIK it still does some
    > reconfiguring but in a different way than before.


    Yes but it doesn't give one the option which video-card one wants to
    use. I've got a nvidia-card here, and never see the option to select
    it. BTW I'm running the 64bit version of 8.04 if this matters, but
    I've seen it on the 7.10 32bit too.

    >




    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    This signature is licensed under the GPL and may be
    freely distributed as long as a copy of the GPL is included... :-)


  13. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    > Tom Canavan schrieb:
    >
    >> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    >> Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would

    >
    > Edit xorg.conf and add the right screen resolution(s) as "Display"
    > SubSections under the "Screen"-Section.
    >
    > Martin.

    Where do I find Ubuntu live CD? I downloaded what I hought was live cd
    but it won't boot up.

  14. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Tom Canavan wrote:
    > Where do I find Ubuntu live CD? I downloaded what I hought was live cd
    > but it won't boot up.


    What is the file called and how did you burn it?

    It should be called ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso and you should
    burn it as an iso or image. If the file is listed on the cd, you
    burnt it the wrong way.

    I don't know if Vista is able to burn an iso. WinXP isn't.

    --
    Niklaus

  15. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Tom Canavan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    >> · Tom Canavan schrieb:
    >>
    >>> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    >>> Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would

    >>
    >> Edit xorg.conf and add the right screen resolution(s) as "Display"
    >> SubSections under the "Screen"-Section.
    >>
    >> Martin.

    > Where do I find Ubuntu live CD? I downloaded what I hought was live cd
    > but it won't boot up.


    You may well have the "alternate CD". In which case, it won't.

    I suggest you re-download.

    Here is a link
    http://astromirror.uchicago.edu/ubuntu-releases/8.04.1/
    Pick the "Desktop CD" and preferably the PC(Intel x86)CD

    HTH

    --
    "So I was getting into my car, and this bloke says to me "Can you give
    me a lift?" I said "Sure, you look great, the world's your oyster, go
    for it.'" ~ Tim Vine

  16. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > Tom Canavan wrote:
    >> Where do I find Ubuntu live CD? I downloaded what I hought was live cd
    >> but it won't boot up.

    >
    > What is the file called and how did you burn it?
    >
    > It should be called ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso and you should
    > burn it as an iso or image. If the file is listed on the cd, you
    > burnt it the wrong way.
    >
    > I don't know if Vista is able to burn an iso. WinXP isn't.
    >

    Yes you were right I figured it out and did get it to boot up and the
    screen was the same as iNSTALLED VERSION

  17. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Moog wrote:
    > Tom Canavan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    >>> · Tom Canavan schrieb:
    >>>
    >>>> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    >>>> Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would
    >>> Edit xorg.conf and add the right screen resolution(s) as "Display"
    >>> SubSections under the "Screen"-Section.
    >>>
    >>> Martin.

    >> Where do I find Ubuntu live CD? I downloaded what I hought was live cd
    >> but it won't boot up.

    >
    > You may well have the "alternate CD". In which case, it won't.
    >
    > I suggest you re-download.
    >
    > Here is a link
    > http://astromirror.uchicago.edu/ubuntu-releases/8.04.1/
    > Pick the "Desktop CD" and preferably the PC(Intel x86)CD
    >
    > HTH
    >

    I figured it out and got the cd to boot up but the screen did the same
    thing as the installed version.I did find an area where it said screen
    resolution but I couldn't get it to do anything.


  18. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Tom Canavan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Tom Canavan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    >>>> · Tom Canavan schrieb:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    >>>>> Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would
    >>>> Edit xorg.conf and add the right screen resolution(s) as "Display"
    >>>> SubSections under the "Screen"-Section.
    >>>>
    >>>> Martin.
    >>> Where do I find Ubuntu live CD? I downloaded what I hought was live cd
    >>> but it won't boot up.

    >>
    >> You may well have the "alternate CD". In which case, it won't.
    >>
    >> I suggest you re-download.
    >>
    >> Here is a link
    >> http://astromirror.uchicago.edu/ubuntu-releases/8.04.1/
    >> Pick the "Desktop CD" and preferably the PC(Intel x86)CD
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>

    > I figured it out and got the cd to boot up but the screen did the same
    > thing as the installed version.I did find an area where it said screen
    > resolution but I couldn't get it to do anything.


    OK. I had similar recently on an old Motherboard with integrated Intel
    Graphics and manged to set it up correctly with a little tweak to the
    xorg.conf file.

    It was fairly simple, the monitor was not supported. It was a
    Widescreen Samsung.
    I simply switched the monitor to a more "mainstream" model and things
    just worked perfectly from then on.

    I you want to know, and I'm going to tell you anyway, the monitor did
    not correctly report back to X. No amount of rweaking could make it
    happen.

    In windows, it works OK, but *only* when the poprietory driver from
    the disk is loaded,

    **** happens. Move on.

    --
    "I got a letter from the IRS. Apparently I owe them $800. So I sent
    them a letter back. I said, "If you'll remember, I fastened my return
    with a paper clip, which according to your very own latest government
    pentagon spending figures will more than make up for the difference." ~
    Emo Philips

  19. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Moog wrote:
    > Tom Canavan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> Tom Canavan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>> Martin Schnitkemper wrote:
    >>>>> · Tom Canavan schrieb:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop that also runs Vista. When I boot into
    >>>>>> Ubuntu The screen is only 3/4 across and the whole thing jiggles.I would
    >>>>> Edit xorg.conf and add the right screen resolution(s) as "Display"
    >>>>> SubSections under the "Screen"-Section.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Martin.
    >>>> Where do I find Ubuntu live CD? I downloaded what I hought was live cd
    >>>> but it won't boot up.
    >>> You may well have the "alternate CD". In which case, it won't.
    >>>
    >>> I suggest you re-download.
    >>>
    >>> Here is a link
    >>> http://astromirror.uchicago.edu/ubuntu-releases/8.04.1/
    >>> Pick the "Desktop CD" and preferably the PC(Intel x86)CD
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>

    >> I figured it out and got the cd to boot up but the screen did the same
    >> thing as the installed version.I did find an area where it said screen
    >> resolution but I couldn't get it to do anything.

    >
    > OK. I had similar recently on an old Motherboard with integrated Intel
    > Graphics and manged to set it up correctly with a little tweak to the
    > xorg.conf file.
    >
    > It was fairly simple, the monitor was not supported. It was a
    > Widescreen Samsung.
    > I simply switched the monitor to a more "mainstream" model and things
    > just worked perfectly from then on.
    >
    > I you want to know, and I'm going to tell you anyway, the monitor did
    > not correctly report back to X. No amount of rweaking could make it
    > happen.
    >
    > In windows, it works OK, but *only* when the poprietory driver from
    > the disk is loaded,
    >
    > **** happens. Move on.
    >

    I'm working with a laptop here

  20. Re: How to remove Ubuntu ?

    Tom Canavan illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > I'm working with a laptop here


    Yup. I knew that. I was just re-capping *my* experience.

    Bring your laptop around to my house and I'll have it working in no
    time.

    Alternatively, check out your local LUG.
    http://www.linux.org/groups/

    I think you have either a misconfiguration issue or pethaps hardware,
    but there's nothing quite like a "guru" getting a look close up.

    --
    "I once had a large gay following, but I ducked into an alleyway and
    lost him." ~ Emo Philips

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast