Flash - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Flash - Ubuntu ; Evening All I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now. I'm using a mixture of Filezilla, Quanta Plus and Kompozer for any bits of development and I'm almost at the point where I'd happily rely on Ubuntu ...

  1. Flash

    Evening All

    I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now. I'm using a
    mixture of Filezilla, Quanta Plus and Kompozer for any bits of
    development and I'm almost at the point where I'd happily rely on Ubuntu
    for everything.

    There is one small glitch that I really want to get over and that's Flash
    support. General Flash works fine but there are certain exceptions. On
    the BBC web site, for example, I can't view any of the video clips. When
    I click on a clip to play it, it comes up with a black screen with very
    pixelated writing which appears to say "This content isn't..." and then I
    can' read any more.

    Also, on this site:

    http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.u...p?contentId=98

    Clicking play just makes a .flv icon flash over and over but the content
    never loads.

    I'm using FF by the way.

    --
    Andy Jacobs

  2. Re: Flash

    Andy Jacobs schreef:
    > Evening All
    >
    > I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now. I'm using a
    > mixture of Filezilla, Quanta Plus and Kompozer for any bits of
    > development and I'm almost at the point where I'd happily rely on Ubuntu
    > for everything.
    >
    > There is one small glitch that I really want to get over and that's Flash
    > support. General Flash works fine but there are certain exceptions. On
    > the BBC web site, for example, I can't view any of the video clips. When
    > I click on a clip to play it, it comes up with a black screen with very
    > pixelated writing which appears to say "This content isn't..." and then I
    > can' read any more.
    >
    > Also, on this site:
    >
    > http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.u...p?contentId=98
    >
    > Clicking play just makes a .flv icon flash over and over but the content
    > never loads.
    >
    > I'm using FF by the way.

    For that last site, when I click on the F symbol that Flasblock shows I
    get a video of a guy called Simon that's doing things with bend sticks
    and little balls.

    On this BBC site:
    "http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7493155.stm"
    There is a neat movie about more balls, but maybe they are nuts...

    That's on Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3.5, FF 3.0 and Flash from the Adobe site:
    "http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Linux"
    Take the tar.gz

    In other words, no problem.

  3. Re: Flash

    Andy Jacobs wrote:
    > Evening All

    > I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now. I'm using a
    > mixture of Filezilla, Quanta Plus and Kompozer for any bits of
    > development and I'm almost at the point where I'd happily rely on Ubuntu
    > for everything.

    > There is one small glitch that I really want to get over and that's Flash
    > support. General Flash works fine but there are certain exceptions. On
    > the BBC web site, for example, I can't view any of the video clips. When
    > I click on a clip to play it, it comes up with a black screen with very
    > pixelated writing which appears to say "This content isn't..." and then I
    > can' read any more.

    > Also, on this site:

    > http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.u...p?contentId=98

    > Clicking play just makes a .flv icon flash over and over but the content
    > never loads.

    Both BBC and the above link work here (audio not tested). Ubuntu
    8.08, FF-2.

    --
    Niklaus

  4. Re: Flash

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 21:27:39 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Andy Jacobs schreef:
    >> Evening All
    >>
    >> I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now. I'm using a
    >> mixture of Filezilla, Quanta Plus and Kompozer for any bits of
    >> development and I'm almost at the point where I'd happily rely on
    >> Ubuntu for everything.
    >>
    >> There is one small glitch that I really want to get over and that's
    >> Flash support. General Flash works fine but there are certain
    >> exceptions. On the BBC web site, for example, I can't view any of the
    >> video clips. When I click on a clip to play it, it comes up with a
    >> black screen with very pixelated writing which appears to say "This
    >> content isn't..." and then I can' read any more.
    >>
    >> Also, on this site:
    >>
    >> http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.u...p?contentId=98
    >>
    >> Clicking play just makes a .flv icon flash over and over but the
    >> content never loads.
    >>
    >> I'm using FF by the way.
    >>

    > For that last site, when I click on the F symbol that Flasblock shows I
    > get a video of a guy called Simon that's doing things with bend sticks
    > and little balls.
    >
    > On this BBC site:
    > "http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7493155.stm" There is a neat movie
    > about more balls, but maybe they are nuts...
    >
    > That's on Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3.5, FF 3.0 and Flash from the Adobe
    > site:
    > "http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?

    P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Linux"
    > Take the tar.gz
    >
    > In other words, no problem.

    Hi

    Thanks for that. I downloaded Flash from Adobe and installed it. It
    just said to remove xpti.dat from my Mozilla or Firefox directory, which
    I did, but I still get the same problem. I'm running FF3, Ubuntu 8.04 on
    Gnome 2.22.2.

    Best regards

    Andy Jacobs

  5. Re: Flash

  6. Re: Flash

    Andy Jacobs wrote:
    > Evening All
    >
    > I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now. I'm using a
    > mixture of Filezilla, Quanta Plus and Kompozer for any bits of
    > development and I'm almost at the point where I'd happily rely on Ubuntu
    > for everything.
    >
    > There is one small glitch that I really want to get over and that's Flash
    > support. General Flash works fine but there are certain exceptions. On
    > the BBC web site, for example, I can't view any of the video clips. When
    > I click on a clip to play it, it comes up with a black screen with very
    > pixelated writing which appears to say "This content isn't..." and then I
    > can' read any more.
    >
    > Also, on this site:
    >
    > http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.u...p?contentId=98
    >
    > Clicking play just makes a .flv icon flash over and over but the content
    > never loads.
    >
    > I'm using FF by the way.

    The video about golf loads just fine running Hardy Heron and FF3.

  7. Re: Flash

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:11:30 -0500, Andy Jacobs wrote:

    > Also, on this site:
    >
    > http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.u...p?contentId=98
    >
    > Clicking play just makes a .flv icon flash over and over but the content
    > never loads.
    >
    > I'm using FF by the way.

    Works for me on 7.10. I use mozplugger, Adobe Flash, all the gstreamer
    stuff. Worked fine when I clicked on the link.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  8. Re: Flash

    Andy Jacobs illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Evening All
    >
    > I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now. I'm using a
    > mixture of Filezilla, Quanta Plus and Kompozer for any bits of
    > development and I'm almost at the point where I'd happily rely on Ubuntu
    > for everything.
    >
    > There is one small glitch that I really want to get over and that's Flash
    > support. General Flash works fine but there are certain exceptions. On
    > the BBC web site, for example, I can't view any of the video clips. When
    > I click on a clip to play it, it comes up with a black screen with very
    > pixelated writing which appears to say "This content isn't..." and then I
    > can' read any more.
    >
    > Also, on this site:
    >
    > http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.u...p?contentId=98
    >
    > Clicking play just makes a .flv icon flash over and over but the content
    > never loads.
    >
    > I'm using FF by the way.

    Andy,

    It all loads here too.

    Suggestion
    Open a terminal and type.

    $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    $ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

    By the way. How's Paul Hawksby? ;-)

    --
    "I ran three miles today. Finally I said, "Lady take your purse." ~ Emo
    Philips

  9. Re: Flash

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 05:08:39 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Andy Jacobs illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Evening All
    >>
    >> I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now. I'm using a
    >> mixture of Filezilla, Quanta Plus and Kompozer for any bits of
    >> development and I'm almost at the point where I'd happily rely on
    >> Ubuntu for everything.
    >>
    >> There is one small glitch that I really want to get over and that's
    >> Flash support. General Flash works fine but there are certain
    >> exceptions. On the BBC web site, for example, I can't view any of the
    >> video clips. When I click on a clip to play it, it comes up with a
    >> black screen with very pixelated writing which appears to say "This
    >> content isn't..." and then I can' read any more.
    >>
    >> Also, on this site:
    >>
    >> http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.u...p?contentId=98
    >>
    >> Clicking play just makes a .flv icon flash over and over but the
    >> content never loads.
    >>
    >> I'm using FF by the way.

    > Andy,
    >
    > It all loads here too.
    >
    > Suggestion
    > Open a terminal and type.
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras $ sudo apt-get install
    > flashplugin-nonfree

    Still the same

    > By the way. How's Paul Hawksby? ;-)

    That's interesting! I didn't have a clue who Paul Hawksby was. I just
    Googled the name and now I see.

    --
    Andy Jacobs

  10. Re: Flash

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:11:30 -0500, Andy Jacobs wrote:

    > Evening All
    >
    > I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now. I'm using a
    > mixture of Filezilla, Quanta Plus and Kompozer for any bits of
    > development and I'm almost at the point where I'd happily rely on Ubuntu
    > for everything.
    >
    > There is one small glitch that I really want to get over and that's
    > Flash support. General Flash works fine but there are certain
    > exceptions. On the BBC web site, for example, I can't view any of the
    > video clips. When I click on a clip to play it, it comes up with a
    > black screen with very pixelated writing which appears to say "This
    > content isn't..." and then I can' read any more.
    >
    > Also, on this site:
    >
    > http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.u...p?contentId=98
    >
    > Clicking play just makes a .flv icon flash over and over but the content
    > never loads.
    >
    > I'm using FF by the way.

    I get exactly the same problem, I think it's because I'm using the AMD64
    bit version of Ubuntu; what are you using?

  11. Re: Flash

    Dai Agnostic wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:11:30 -0500, Andy Jacobs wrote:
    >
    >> Evening All
    >>
    >> I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now. I'm using a
    >> mixture of Filezilla, Quanta Plus and Kompozer for any bits of
    >> development and I'm almost at the point where I'd happily rely on Ubuntu
    >> for everything.
    >>
    >> There is one small glitch that I really want to get over and that's
    >> Flash support. General Flash works fine but there are certain
    >> exceptions. On the BBC web site, for example, I can't view any of the
    >> video clips. When I click on a clip to play it, it comes up with a
    >> black screen with very pixelated writing which appears to say "This
    >> content isn't..." and then I can' read any more.
    >>
    >> Also, on this site:
    >>
    >> http://www.portsmouthgolfcentre.co.u...p?contentId=98
    >>
    >> Clicking play just makes a .flv icon flash over and over but the content
    >> never loads.
    >>
    >> I'm using FF by the way.

    > I get exactly the same problem, I think it's because I'm using the AMD64
    > bit version of Ubuntu; what are you using?

    I am using the 64bit 8.04 and both links play ok. flash installed from
    the repo NOT from the Adobe site.

  12. Re: Flash

    Andy Jacobs illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Suggestion
    >> Open a terminal and type.
    >>
    >> $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras $ sudo apt-get install
    >> flashplugin-nonfree

    > Still the same

    Are you running 64 bit Ubuntu?

    >> By the way. How's Paul Hawksby? ;-)

    > That's interesting! I didn't have a clue who Paul Hawksby was. I just
    > Googled the name and now I see.

    Oh well. ;-)

    It would have been great had you been the *real* Andy Jacobs.
    No offence meant BTW.

    --
    "Women: You can't live with them, and you can't get them to dress up in
    a skimpy little Nazi costume and beat you with a warm squash or

+ Reply to Thread