Adding software to an Ubuntu box? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Adding software to an Ubuntu box? - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I have an U804 DT i386 machine that is hooked to a lan but NOT the Internet. I need to add an ftp server program to it for storing files. Which ftp server do you recommend and how ...

  1. Adding software to an Ubuntu box?

    Hi all,

    I have an U804 DT i386 machine that is hooked to a lan but NOT the
    Internet. I need to add an ftp server program to it for storing files.
    Which ftp server do you recommend and how do I install it?

    thanks,
    charles....

  2. Re: Adding software to an Ubuntu box?

    ***** charles wrote:
    > Hi all,

    > I have an U804 DT i386 machine that is hooked to a lan but NOT the
    > Internet. I need to add an ftp server program to it for storing files.
    > Which ftp server do you recommend and how do I install it?

    I once used wu-ftpd for that purpose. You might also consider using
    nfs instead.

    Installing: If there are few/no unmet dependencies and only few
    packages to install use dpkg -i. Else use apt-zip or aptoncd. And,
    first of all, have a look whether the packages are on the
    installation medium (maybe not the latest version, though).

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  3. Re: Adding software to an Ubuntu box?

    ***** charles wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an U804 DT i386 machine that is hooked to a lan but NOT the
    > Internet. I need to add an ftp server program to it for storing
    > files. Which ftp server do you recommend and how do I install it?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles....

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vsftpd

    Synaptic.

    --
    John

  4. Re: Adding software to an Ubuntu box?

    ***** charles wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an U804 DT i386 machine that is hooked to a lan but NOT the
    > Internet. I need to add an ftp server program to it for storing files.
    > Which ftp server do you recommend and how do I install it?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles....

    filezilla ?

+ Reply to Thread