Browsing with ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Browsing with ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Hi All I am new to linux. 2 weeks ago I downloaded ubuntu linux from http://www.ubuntu.com/ and have installed it on an AMD64 system. It is working very well and I m happy with it. Now I am getting broadband ...

  1. Browsing with ubuntu

    Hi All

    I am new to linux. 2 weeks ago I downloaded ubuntu linux from
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ and have installed it on an AMD64 system. It is
    working very well and I m happy with it. Now I am getting broadband
    connection for that system and would like to know do I need to have
    any additional protection like a firewall/antivirus/spyware blocker
    etc like I do on my windows system. I was under the impression that a
    linux system is secure by default because of the way it is built and
    operates. If I am wrong can you please let me know what additional
    soft wares to install and how to do it. My internet usage includes
    general surfing, usenet, P2P etc.

    Regards

    S K Nagesh

  2. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    Nagesh S K wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I am new to linux. 2 weeks ago I downloaded ubuntu linux from
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/ and have installed it on an AMD64 system. It is
    > working very well and I m happy with it. Now I am getting broadband
    > connection for that system and would like to know do I need to have
    > any additional protection like a firewall/antivirus/spyware blocker
    > etc like I do on my windows system. I was under the impression that a
    > linux system is secure by default because of the way it is built and
    > operates.

    I've never had anything like anti-virus software on my ubuntu machine,
    and I've never needed it. Windows started with the assumption "The user
    is the admin, and can do anything they want." No Unix system was ever
    built with that assumption. Back in the 70s, when Unix was getting
    going, the question on the minds of its designers was, "How do we keep
    this system secure?" Linux inherited a lot of ideas from its Unix
    ancestors.

    I use FireFox to browse the web.

    -- lawrence

  3. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    Den Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:07:34 +0530 skrev Nagesh S K:

    >Now I am getting broadband
    > connection for that system and would like to know do I need to have any
    > additional protection like a firewall/antivirus/spyware blocker etc like
    > I do on my windows system.

    Not really. But you could save some traffic using MoBlock, since you are
    using p2p.
    > I was under the impression that a linux
    > system is secure by default because of the way it is built and operates.
    > If I am wrong can you please let me know what additional soft wares to
    > install and how to do it. My internet usage includes general surfing,
    > usenet, P2P etc.

    It is. I read once, "I have antivirus on my linux, not for myself, but
    for my friends, who get files from me"

  4. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    Nagesh S K wrote:
    > Hi All

    > I am new to linux. 2 weeks ago I downloaded ubuntu linux from
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/ and have installed it on an AMD64 system. It is
    > working very well and I m happy with it. Now I am getting broadband
    > connection for that system and would like to know do I need to have
    > any additional protection like a firewall/antivirus/spyware blocker
    > etc like I do on my windows system. I was under the impression that a
    > linux system is secure by default because of the way it is built and
    > operates.

    Your linux system is secure if you use it in a reasonable way. You
    don't need any additional software IMO. But you should
    - keep your system up-to-date
    - use strong passwords
    - regularly backup your data

    > If I am wrong can you please let me know what additional
    > soft wares to install and how to do it. My internet usage includes
    > general surfing, usenet, P2P etc.

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  5. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    Nagesh S K wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I am new to linux. 2 weeks ago I downloaded ubuntu linux from
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/ and have installed it on an AMD64 system. It is
    > working very well and I m happy with it. Now I am getting broadband
    > connection for that system and would like to know do I need to have
    > any additional protection like a firewall/antivirus/spyware blocker
    > etc like I do on my windows system. I was under the impression that a
    > linux system is secure by default because of the way it is built and
    > operates. If I am wrong can you please let me know what additional
    > soft wares to install and how to do it. My internet usage includes
    > general surfing, usenet, P2P etc.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > S K Nagesh

    Get a router that has a hard firewall and enable it and that's all
    you'll need if you keep your Ubuntu install up-to-date.

  6. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

  7. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    Sparky wrote:

    > Nagesh S K wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> I am new to linux. 2 weeks ago I downloaded ubuntu linux from
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/ and have installed it on an AMD64 system. It is
    >> working very well and I m happy with it. Now I am getting broadband
    >> connection for that system and would like to know do I need to have
    >> any additional protection like a firewall/antivirus/spyware blocker
    >> etc like I do on my windows system. I was under the impression that a
    >> linux system is secure by default because of the way it is built and

    > It's more secure. Nothing is perfect.
    >
    >> operates. If I am wrong can you please let me know what additional
    >> soft wares to install and how to do it. My internet usage includes
    >> general surfing, usenet, P2P etc.

    > I'd suggest picking up a hardware router, or "broadband router" as
    > they're sometimes misnamed on the shelf at Wal*Mart. It will sit
    > between your computer and the world so that even if you happen to
    > misconfigure something on your computer you have a fair amount of
    > protection. Anyone poking around from the outside will generally see
    > the router, not your computer. If you buy the wireless type, make sure
    > you set up WPA encryption even if you don't use it so your neighbors
    > aren't stealing your bandwidth.
    >
    > Beyond that, keep everything updated. There's really no pressing need
    > for any antivirus or spyware software. If you browse with Firefox
    > there's a couple addons like NoScript that you should probably install,
    > but that's about it.

    So what about the 8,000+ Firefox spyware that SpyBot blocks in windows,
    none of these are effective in Firefox for Linux? Does FF for Linux
    handle cookies differently?

  8. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

  9. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    On 07/07/2008 11:38 AM User scribbled:

    > So what about the 8,000+ Firefox spyware that SpyBot blocks in windows,
    > none of these are effective in Firefox for Linux? Does FF for Linux
    > handle cookies differently?

    what 8000+ are you referring to here?
    Firefox doesn't do any spying I've ever heard of.

  10. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    jrg wrote:
    > On 07/07/2008 11:38 AM User scribbled:
    >

    >> So what about the 8,000+ Firefox spyware that SpyBot blocks in windows,
    >> none of these are effective in Firefox for Linux? Does FF for Linux
    >> handle cookies differently?

    > what 8000+ are you referring to here?
    > Firefox doesn't do any spying I've ever heard of.

    I just installed SpyBot S&D in my daughters XP laptop and when I ran
    "immunize" it claimed to block 191 cookies, and 8,792 each of images,
    installations, and pop ups in the Firefox section.

  11. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    On 07/10/2008 09:09 PM User scribbled:

    > jrg wrote:
    >> On 07/07/2008 11:38 AM User scribbled:
    >>

    >>> So what about the 8,000+ Firefox spyware that SpyBot blocks in windows,
    >>> none of these are effective in Firefox for Linux? Does FF for Linux
    >>> handle cookies differently?

    >> what 8000+ are you referring to here?
    >> Firefox doesn't do any spying I've ever heard of.

    > I just installed SpyBot S&D in my daughters XP laptop and when I ran
    > "immunize" it claimed to block 191 cookies, and 8,792 each of images,
    > installations, and pop ups in the Firefox section.

    thats /all/ stuff coming from outside - FF has /nothing/ to do with it.
    FF handles cookies by your instructions, pop up as well.

    Learn your software

  12. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    In jrg:

    [Snip...]

    > thats /all/ stuff coming from outside - FF has /nothing/ to do with it.
    > FF handles cookies by your instructions, pop up as well.

    Right, but phrickin' Mercun consumers don't seem to understand even good
    userland apps like FF are toast hosted by a POS OS like DozeAnything.

    > Learn your software

    ....and the real source of almost all net sewage--M$ botnets:

    It says a lot about the M$ mindset, where userland and OS are the same.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  13. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    jrg wrote:
    > On 07/10/2008 09:09 PM User scribbled:
    >
    >> jrg wrote:
    >>> On 07/07/2008 11:38 AM User scribbled:

    >>> what 8000+ are you referring to here?
    >>> Firefox doesn't do any spying I've ever heard of.

    >> I just installed SpyBot S&D in my daughters XP laptop and when I ran
    >> "immunize" it claimed to block 191 cookies, and 8,792 each of images,
    >> installations, and pop ups in the Firefox section.

    > thats /all/ stuff coming from outside - FF has /nothing/ to do with it.

    I never said it did.
    When I said "8000+ Firefox spyware" I was referring to the quantity of
    spyware items that SpyBot S&D supposedly blocks when you click immunize.
    By the way, the grand total FF + IE is 80,000+. I do believe that they
    exaggerate some.

    > FF handles cookies by your instructions, pop up as well.
    >
    > Learn your software

    Learn how to read

  14. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    "User" wrote in message
    news:AZqdnTGCpc_7HerVnZ2dnUVZ_oTinZ2d@trueband.net ...
    > jrg wrote:

    >>> I just installed SpyBot S&D in my daughters XP laptop and when I ran
    >>> "immunize" it claimed to block 191 cookies, and 8,792 each of images,
    >>> installations, and pop ups in the Firefox section.

    >> thats /all/ stuff coming from outside - FF has /nothing/ to do with it.

    > I never said it did.
    > When I said "8000+ Firefox spyware" I was referring to the quantity of
    > spyware items that SpyBot S&D supposedly blocks when you click immunize.
    > By the way, the grand total FF + IE is 80,000+. I do believe that they
    > exaggerate some.
    >
    >> FF handles cookies by your instructions, pop up as well.
    >>
    >> Learn your software

    > Learn how to read

    Spybot calls all cookies "spyware" ?
    It's just a cookie.
    Sounds like a useless program.

  15. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    Hobbes wrote:

    > "User" wrote:
    >> jrg wrote:
    >>> User scribbled:

    Cookies are just cookies, no matter your operating system. Set your
    options to block/ selectively block/ "don't ask me again"/ and other
    nice options.

    >>> thats /all/ stuff coming from outside - FF has /nothing/ to do with
    >>> it.

    >> I never said it did.
    >> When I said "8000+ Firefox spyware" I was referring to the quantity
    >> of spyware items that SpyBot S&D supposedly blocks when you click

    But you didn't say that, hence the questions and confusion. "the 8,000+
    Firefox spyware that SpyBot blocks" would tell a non-experienced reader
    that Firefox was .. bad?

    >> immunize. By the way, the grand total FF + IE is 80,000+. I do
    >> believe that they exaggerate some.

    "Shock and Awe."

    >>> FF handles cookies by your instructions, pop up as well.
    >>>

    > Spybot calls all cookies "spyware" ?
    > It's just a cookie.
    > Sounds like a useless program.

    SpybotS&D can be useful for Windows users who don't practice Safe Hex
    (which is most of 'em, I suppose). It's good at rooting out trojans and
    other maladies. But don't bother using the "Immunize" features, which,
    as I understand it, use the Registry to set blocks on cookies and web
    sites it feels may be malicious.

    But as you said, cookies can be annoying, but are harmless.

    --
    -bts

  16. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    On 07/11/2008 08:48 AM User scribbled:

    > jrg wrote:

    >>> I just installed SpyBot S&D in my daughters XP laptop and when I ran
    >>> "immunize" it claimed to block 191 cookies, and 8,792 each of images,
    >>> installations, and pop ups in the Firefox section.

    >> thats /all/ stuff coming from outside - FF has /nothing/ to do with it.

    > I never said it did.
    > When I said "8000+ Firefox spyware" I was referring to the quantity of
    > spyware items that SpyBot S&D supposedly blocks when you click immunize.
    > By the way, the grand total FF + IE is 80,000+. I do believe that they
    > exaggerate some.
    >
    >> FF handles cookies by your instructions, pop up as well.
    >>
    >> Learn your software

    > Learn how to read

    you wrote "8000+ firefox spyware."
    there is no firefox spyware and I never received any such msg. in using
    Spybot since it came out up to moving to linux.

    Maybe you should read the Spybot manual - you have way too many flags
    (80,000) (?) or maybe you should check the browsing history - somethings
    up.

  17. Re: Browsing with ubuntu

    On 07/11/2008 08:48 AM User scribbled:

    and BTW, sorry, can't offer much firsthand insight into linux treating
    cookies anyway different - intuitively, I'd say no, it doesn't.

+ Reply to Thread