USB error on boot ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on USB error on boot ? - Ubuntu ; Just before I wipe and reinstall xubuntu (following, I believe, a problem with changing a graphic option in the control panel - the one I thought i'd sorted a week or so ago...) I'm getting a USB 1-1 (IIRC) error ...

  1. USB error on boot ?

    Just before I wipe and reinstall xubuntu (following, I believe, a
    problem with changing a graphic option in the control panel - the one
    I thought i'd sorted a week or so ago...)

    I'm getting a USB 1-1 (IIRC) error on boot, and being dumped into
    initramfs with an error code of -71

    Anyone know what it is and how to resolve it ?

  2. Re: USB error on boot ?

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    > Just before I wipe and reinstall xubuntu (following, I believe, a
    > problem with changing a graphic option in the control panel - the one
    > I thought i'd sorted a week or so ago...)
    >
    > I'm getting a USB 1-1 (IIRC) error on boot, and being dumped into
    > initramfs with an error code of -71
    >
    > Anyone know what it is and how to resolve it ?

    "Wipe and reinstall" is so "Windowzish"!

    Not only is a pure waste of time, but you will not learn anything.

    To fix your problem, and learn as you go, try Googling the error message.

    First you will need to know the exact message -- not just as you recall
    it. Repeat the trouble condition, write down the exact error message,
    and then you will have some tools for searching.

    You can also look through your dmesg and lspci outputs for errors.

    Please don't thumb your nose at using a CLI to shoot trouble. It is a
    valuable tool. After all, your goal is to fix the problem, not advocate
    the GUI is better than the CLI.

    If more Windows people used the available tools to fix their broken
    Windows OS, maybe there would be less wiping and reinstalling. ;-)

    --
    John

  3. Re: USB error on boot ?

    > To fix your problem, and learn as you go, try Googling the error message.

    OK, minor point of order here - if it had happened to my only working
    system, and dumped me in the same place, the only means i'd have of
    getting online would be a live boot CD.

    Perhaps this would be sufficient to resolve it, but then again, if you
    happened to hit as many problems as I had on my laptop trying to get a
    PCMCIA wifi card going... can't install ndiswrapper as no network
    connection, etc. (luckily i've got kit I can shunt around and a spare
    RJ45 or two :-} ) and it fails at completely random intervals to
    connect without me having to re-enter the WPA password - but sometimes
    the dialogue box I need to use is also greyed out...

    > First you will need to know the exact message -- not just as you recall
    > it. Repeat the trouble condition, write down the exact error message,
    > and then you will have some tools for searching.

    Will do

    > You can also look through your dmesg and lspci outputs for errors.

    While i've used lspci (although i'm not au-fait with the output) I
    wouldn't know where to start looking for dmesg - nor whether I could
    look at it from the initramfs sticking point :-}

    > Please don't thumb your nose at using a CLI to shoot trouble. It is a
    > valuable tool. After all, your goal is to fix the problem, not advocate
    > the GUI is better than the CLI.

    I'm having a go ! - the problem is that newish users like myself don't
    know all the ins and outs and commands to use, what to look for or
    where to find the answers in an intelligible format :-}

    Sod it, i'll fall back to my Redhat 5.9 beta CD from when I first
    started trying to use linux many years ago :-}

+ Reply to Thread