Firefox 3 and Java - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Firefox 3 and Java - Ubuntu ; Ubuntu 7.04 w/ Firefox 3 I'm starting to have a problem with a Java applet in Firefox. It's on the NY Times website for the online acrostic puzzle. The applet was working just fine. It was getting late and I ...

  1. Firefox 3 and Java

    Ubuntu 7.04 w/ Firefox 3

    I'm starting to have a problem with a Java applet in Firefox. It's on
    the NY Times website for the online acrostic puzzle. The applet was
    working just fine. It was getting late and I left the browser "running"
    along with the applet. The next day the ability to type text in the
    applet or move the cursor using the tab key disappeared. In fact, the
    applet does not seem to respond to any keystroke.

    Ideas?

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  2. Re: Firefox 3 and Java

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:22:55 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > Ubuntu 7.04 w/ Firefox 3
    >
    > I'm starting to have a problem with a Java applet in Firefox. It's on
    > the NY Times website for the online acrostic puzzle. The applet was
    > working just fine. It was getting late and I left the browser "running"
    > along with the applet. The next day the ability to type text in the
    > applet or move the cursor using the tab key disappeared. In fact, the
    > applet does not seem to respond to any keystroke.
    >
    > Ideas?

    I have NoScript add-on installed on Firefox. Disabled it and then the
    applet worked. Renabled and it worked. NoScript must have seen
    something it did not like.

    Franz Fripplfrappl

  3. Re: Firefox 3 and Java

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:43:35 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:22:55 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu 7.04 w/ Firefox 3
    >>
    >> I'm starting to have a problem with a Java applet in Firefox. It's on
    >> the NY Times website for the online acrostic puzzle. The applet was
    >> working just fine. It was getting late and I left the browser
    >> "running" along with the applet. The next day the ability to type text
    >> in the applet or move the cursor using the tab key disappeared. In
    >> fact, the applet does not seem to respond to any keystroke.
    >>
    >> Ideas?

    > I have NoScript add-on installed on Firefox. Disabled it and then the
    > applet worked. Renabled and it worked. NoScript must have seen
    > something it did not like.

    I have some issues with firefox 2.0.0.14 with Java. It crashes the Gnome/
    X. It runs fine for a while and then after several minutes the display is
    locked up.

    It also throws a really irritating warning about java applets, and no
    matter how many times you whitelist a site, it still does it when you go
    back there.

    I can't be 100% that it is Firefox doing it, or if it is the jvm doing it.

    --
    Dog walks down the road. Gust of wind. Dog inside out.
    I've replaced my 'old joke' signature because a better man than me told

  4. Re: Firefox 3 and Java

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 17:32:40 +0000, A J Hawke wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:43:35 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:22:55 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu 7.04 w/ Firefox 3
    >>>
    >>> I'm starting to have a problem with a Java applet in Firefox. It's on
    >>> the NY Times website for the online acrostic puzzle. The applet was
    >>> working just fine. It was getting late and I left the browser
    >>> "running" along with the applet. The next day the ability to type text
    >>> in the applet or move the cursor using the tab key disappeared. In
    >>> fact, the applet does not seem to respond to any keystroke.
    >>>
    >>> Ideas?

    >> I have NoScript add-on installed on Firefox. Disabled it and then the
    >> applet worked. Renabled and it worked. NoScript must have seen
    >> something it did not like.

    > I have some issues with firefox 2.0.0.14 with Java. It crashes the Gnome/
    > X. It runs fine for a while and then after several minutes the display is
    > locked up.
    >
    > It also throws a really irritating warning about java applets, and no
    > matter how many times you whitelist a site, it still does it when you go
    > back there.
    >
    > I can't be 100% that it is Firefox doing it, or if it is the jvm doing it.

    Firefox 3 has some bugs. I never had problems with 2. Sometimes, maybe 20%
    of the time, if I close FF after visiting a site where java is needed I
    have to open a term and issue a killall firefox before it will run again.

  5. Re: Firefox 3 and Java

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 17:32:40 +0000, A J Hawke wrote:

    >>> I have NoScript add-on installed on Firefox. Disabled it and then the
    >>> applet worked. Renabled and it worked. NoScript must have seen
    >>> something it did not like.
    >>>

    >> I have some issues with firefox 2.0.0.14 with Java. It crashes the Gnome/
    >> X. It runs fine for a while and then after several minutes the display is
    >> locked up.
    >>
    >> It also throws a really irritating warning about java applets, and no
    >> matter how many times you whitelist a site, it still does it when you go
    >> back there.
    >>
    >> I can't be 100% that it is Firefox doing it, or if it is the jvm doing it.
    >>

    > Firefox 3 has some bugs. I never had problems with 2. Sometimes, maybe 20%
    > of the time, if I close FF after visiting a site where java is needed I
    > have to open a term and issue a killall firefox before it will run again.

    Despite Franz Fripplfrappl's and A.J. Hawke's (Firefox 2.0) Java
    testimonies, plus your own admission mentioning Java, you condemn
    Firefox 3 as the buggy program?

    How would you feel if, without knowing you, your reasons, your
    abilities, I just up and condemned you as a Meat Head?

    I'm running Firefox/1.5.0.12eol and have the identical problems when I
    leave a site with video.

    Firefox (Mozilla) has never been perfect, but the problems seem to be
    associated with Java and/or Flash, not pure Firefox-only HTML sites.

    To be fair to you, I think what you may have been trying to say is you
    have some bugs in your reasoning powers, or abilities to get them down
    in writing, and that is fully understandable.

    --
    John

  6. Re: Firefox 3 and Java

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 23:27:21 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> I have some issues with firefox 2.0.0.14 with Java. It crashes the
    >>> Gnome/ X. It runs fine for a while and then after several minutes the
    >>> display is locked up.
    >>>
    >>> It also throws a really irritating warning about java applets, and no
    >>> matter how many times you whitelist a site, it still does it when you
    >>>
    >>> I can't be 100% that it is Firefox doing it, or if it is the jvm doing
    >>> it.
    >>>

    >> Firefox 3 has some bugs. I never had problems with 2. Sometimes, maybe
    >> 20% of the time, if I close FF after visiting a site where java is
    >> needed I have to open a term and issue a killall firefox before it will
    >> run again.

    > Despite Franz Fripplfrappl's and A.J. Hawke's (Firefox 2.0) Java
    > testimonies, plus your own admission mentioning Java, you condemn Firefox
    > 3 as the buggy program?
    >
    > How would you feel if, without knowing you, your reasons, your abilities,
    > I just up and condemned you as a Meat Head?
    >
    > I'm running Firefox/1.5.0.12eol and have the identical problems when I
    > leave a site with video.
    >
    > Firefox (Mozilla) has never been perfect, but the problems seem to be
    > associated with Java and/or Flash, not pure Firefox-only HTML sites.
    >
    > To be fair to you, I think what you may have been trying to say is you
    > have some bugs in your reasoning powers, or abilities to get them down in
    > writing, and that is fully understandable.

    Was that a FLAME? LOL

    Look you pontificating ass-**** I was expressing my O-P-I-N-I-O-N not
    stating fact. Pay attention next time instead trying to milk some wit or
    humor out of that single brain cell of yours.

    And who/what the **** are a Franz Fripplfrappl and A.J. Hawke anyway and
    why should I know or really give a flying **** as to what testimonies they
    or anyone else sputter forth.

    To reiterate, I see FF3 as buggy. I had no problems with FF2. I couldn't
    possible give a **** less what your opinion is as it has no influence on
    my installation.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, May 2008
    COOSN-266-06-25794

  7. Re: Firefox 3 and Java

    What a pity when cousins marry.

    --
    Dog walks down the road. Gust of wind. Dog inside out.
    I've replaced my 'old joke' signature because a better man than me told
    me to ;-)

+ Reply to Thread