Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD - Ubuntu ; Notice my BIOS allows a USB device to be boot device. Rather then burn a CD from the ubuntu-8.04.1.iso download, is there a way to copy iso file to a 1 gb flash card to use as the installer. Just ...

  1. Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    Notice my BIOS allows a USB device to be boot device. Rather then burn a
    CD from the ubuntu-8.04.1.iso download, is there a way to copy iso file to a
    1 gb flash card to use as the installer.

    Just for clarification - installing OS on a HDD, not trying to install
    ubuntu on flash card

    Thanks

    Bob

  2. Re: Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    M Harris illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Notice my BIOS allows a USB device to be boot device. Rather then burn a
    > CD from the ubuntu-8.04.1.iso download, is there a way to copy iso file to a
    > 1 gb flash card to use as the installer.
    >
    > Just for clarification - installing OS on a HDD, not trying to install
    > ubuntu on flash card
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes. However, you don't really tell us how you want to achieve this,
    Bob,

    Are you thinking of doing it from a Linux or windows computer?

    The best thing you can do is visit
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

    This site has numerous articles on achieving what you want.

    --
    "Now, most dentist's chairs go up and down, don't they? The one I was
    in went back and forwards. I thought 'This is unusual'. And the dentist

  3. Re: Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    M Harris wrote:
    > Notice my BIOS allows a USB device to be boot device. Rather then burn a
    > CD from the ubuntu-8.04.1.iso download, is there a way to copy iso file to a
    > 1 gb flash card to use as the installer.
    >
    > Just for clarification - installing OS on a HDD, not trying to install
    > ubuntu on flash card
    >
    > Thanks

    Does this help?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/5qq5gm

    --
    Bob
    RTFM? I can't even count them, let alone read them!

  4. Re: Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    Hello Moog & Bob

    The machine that I've downloaded the .iso file is XP and it will be
    installed dual boot on an XP machine. The /5qq5gm webpage appears to
    require linux already be installed. Chicken & egg problem here

  5. Re: Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    M Harris illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hello Moog & Bob
    >
    > The machine that I've downloaded the .iso file is XP and it will be
    > installed dual boot on an XP machine. The /5qq5gm webpage appears to
    > require linux already be installed. Chicken & egg problem here

    You didn't read much on the site a pointed you to.

    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05...rial/#more-387

    --
    "New York's such a wonderful city. Although I was at the library today.
    The guys are very rude. I said, "I'd like a card." He says, "You have

  6. Re: Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 06:44:14 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > M Harris illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Notice my BIOS allows a USB device to be boot device. Rather then
    >> burn a CD from the ubuntu-8.04.1.iso download, is there a way to copy
    >> iso file to a 1 gb flash card to use as the installer.
    >>
    >> Just for clarification - installing OS on a HDD, not trying to install
    >> ubuntu on flash card
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Yes. However, you don't really tell us how you want to achieve this,
    > Bob,
    >
    > Are you thinking of doing it from a Linux or windows computer?
    >
    > The best thing you can do is visit
    > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
    >
    > This site has numerous articles on achieving what you want.

    No - I don't believe they do. They have articles on installing to a flash
    disk. He wants to use a flash disk as installation medium to install to a
    hard drive.

  7. Re: Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 03:18:36 -0400, M Harris wrote:

    > Hello Moog & Bob
    >
    > The machine that I've downloaded the .iso file is XP and it will be
    > installed dual boot on an XP machine. The /5qq5gm webpage appears to
    > require linux already be installed. Chicken & egg problem here

    Suggest you try installing as a virtual machine rather than a dual boot -
    much more convenient, and you may be able to install direct from the iso
    file - at least that is possible on Linux with virtualbox.

  8. Re: Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    M Harris schreef:
    > Notice my BIOS allows a USB device to be boot device. Rather then burn a
    > CD from the ubuntu-8.04.1.iso download, is there a way to copy iso file to a
    > 1 gb flash card to use as the installer.
    >
    > Just for clarification - installing OS on a HDD, not trying to install
    > ubuntu on flash card
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bob

    When I do a Google search for Make a USB drive bootable I get many
    useful links, try it!

  9. Re: Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    ray illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 06:44:14 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> M Harris illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Notice my BIOS allows a USB device to be boot device. Rather then
    >>> burn a CD from the ubuntu-8.04.1.iso download, is there a way to copy
    >>> iso file to a 1 gb flash card to use as the installer.
    >>>
    >>> Just for clarification - installing OS on a HDD, not trying to install
    >>> ubuntu on flash card
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Yes. However, you don't really tell us how you want to achieve this,
    >> Bob,
    >>
    >> Are you thinking of doing it from a Linux or windows computer?
    >>
    >> The best thing you can do is visit
    >> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
    >>
    >> This site has numerous articles on achieving what you want.

    > No - I don't believe they do. They have articles on installing to a flash
    > disk. He wants to use a flash disk as installation medium to install to a
    > hard drive.

    Jeez. What do you think a persistent Live CD is?

    You boot into a Live CD, but can save files to it's /home folder.

    However, you can *also* still install to hard drive as you can with
    any livecd.

    --
    "Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5
    people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or

  10. Re: Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    Moog - other problem with advice link at link says first burn a CD. Goal
    was to avoid burning CD and just overwrite a flash card with latest iso then
    use it to do installs for folks. At this point it appears burning CD is
    easy way to go.

    Ray - yes I want to try virtual box but I still need an 'install iso' media
    for others.

    Dirk - not trying to use FC for HDD which is, as you suggest, easy

    "Moog" wrote in message
    M Harris illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hello Moog & Bob
    >
    > The machine that I've downloaded the .iso file is XP and it will be
    > installed dual boot on an XP machine. The /5qq5gm webpage appears to
    > require linux already be installed. Chicken & egg problem here

    You didn't read much on the site a pointed you to.

    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05...rial/#more-387

  11. Re: Installing 8.04 from a CF rather then CD

    M Harris illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog - other problem with advice link at link says first burn a CD. Goal
    > was to avoid burning CD and just overwrite a flash card with latest iso then
    > use it to do installs for folks. At this point it appears burning CD is
    > easy way to go.

    You could do similar with a wndows iso mounter program (for instance)

    Sorry fella, but the fact that you didn't mention anything about CD's
    and also the fact that you ignored my link to the generic page with
    hundreds of different options (including direct windows ISO Howto:'s) all
    points to the fact that you "don't want to listen".

    No problem though. Good luck.

    --
    "My mother was like a sister to me, only we didn't have sex quite so
    often." ~ Emo Philips

+ Reply to Thread