Defrag - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Defrag - Ubuntu ; Under the impression that ext3 file systems never need defragging, I was surprised to see the following. http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/admin/defrag Can anyone explain why it existed for Feisty, and why its not in the 8.04 repositories? TYIA -- Bob RTFM? I can't ...

  1. Defrag

    --
    Bob
    RTFM? I can't even count them, let alone read them!

  2. Re: Defrag

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:07:41 +1000, Bob wrote:

    > Under the impression that ext3 file systems never need defragging, I was
    > surprised to see the following.
    > http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/admin/defrag
    >
    > Can anyone explain why it existed for Feisty,

    It's not an absolute "does not need defragging", just less likely to
    become fragmented in the first place, when a disk becomes more full it
    becomes less likely that a contiguous space large enough to hold a file
    will exist and some files will get fragmented as a result. Although that
    said, it is unlikely that a disk will become so fragmented as to actually
    need defragging in order to improve performance.

    > and why its not in the 8.04 repositories?

    Got me there ;-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  3. Re: Defrag

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:07:41 +1000, Bob wrote:
    >
    >> Under the impression that ext3 file systems never need defragging,
    >> I was surprised to see the following.
    >> http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/admin/defrag
    >>
    >> Can anyone explain why it existed for Feisty,

    > It's not an absolute "does not need defragging", just less likely to
    > become fragmented in the first place, when a disk becomes more full
    > it becomes less likely that a contiguous space large enough to hold a
    > file will exist and some files will get fragmented as a result.
    > Although that said, it is unlikely that a disk will become so
    > fragmented as to actually need defragging in order to improve
    > performance.
    >
    >> and why its not in the 8.04 repositories?

    > Got me there ;-)

    Thanks for your reply, Trevor. Repositories or not, maybe we could win a
    wager or two elsewhere regarding the package's actual existence!

    Must confess though I didn't read the site properly before posting here.
    It doesn't mention ext3 at all, only ext2, minix and xiafs filesystems.

    The only fragging that ever bothered me with ext2 was when I installed
    7.04 without reading glasses on, and didn't discover my error 'till I
    did a fresh ext3 install of 8.04 and wondered how on earth Ubuntu had
    borked my precious home partition files.

    --
    Bob
    RTFM? I can't even count them, let alone read them!

  4. Re: Defrag

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 20:01:32 +1000, Bob wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:07:41 +1000, Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>> Under the impression that ext3 file systems never need defragging,
    >>> I was surprised to see the following.
    >>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/admin/defrag
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone explain why it existed for Feisty,

    >> It's not an absolute "does not need defragging", just less likely to
    >> become fragmented in the first place, when a disk becomes more full
    >> it becomes less likely that a contiguous space large enough to hold a
    >> file will exist and some files will get fragmented as a result.
    >> Although that said, it is unlikely that a disk will become so
    >> fragmented as to actually need defragging in order to improve
    >> performance.
    >>
    >>> and why its not in the 8.04 repositories?

    >> Got me there ;-)

    > Thanks for your reply, Trevor. Repositories or not, maybe we could win a
    > wager or two elsewhere regarding the package's actual existence!
    >
    > Must confess though I didn't read the site properly before posting here.
    > It doesn't mention ext3 at all, only ext2, minix and xiafs filesystems.

    ext3 is ext2 with journaling so ext2 stuff will recognise it, e.g. the
    filesystem checker (fsck) is the ext2 one.

    > The only fragging that ever bothered me with ext2 was when I installed
    > 7.04 without reading glasses on, and didn't discover my error 'till I
    > did a fresh ext3 install of 8.04 and wondered how on earth Ubuntu had
    > borked my precious home partition files.

    There's a lot to be said for separate /home partitions but a lot more to
    be said about backing them up ;-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  5. [OT] X-Face (WAS Re: Defrag)

    * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    Trevor, do you know that your Xface isnt displayed properly? Or is that on
    purpose?

    --
    David

  6. Re: [OT] X-Face (WAS Re: Defrag)

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 17:11:49 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >

    > Trevor, do you know that your Xface isnt displayed properly? Or is that on
    > purpose?

    Had no idea, Pan doesn't display them. Seemed to have wrapped. Any better
    now?

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  7. Re: [OT] X-Face (WAS Re: Defrag)

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 18:41:42 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 17:11:49 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>

    >> Trevor, do you know that your Xface isnt displayed properly? Or is that on
    >> purpose?

    > Had no idea, Pan doesn't display them. Seemed to have wrapped. Any better
    > now?

    no idea what that was supposed to be even after removing newlines :-\

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  8. Re: [OT] X-Face (WAS Re: Defrag)

    Trevor Best wrote in
    newsan.2008.07.07.17.47.05.184125@besty.org.uk:

    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 18:41:42 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 17:11:49 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>>

    >>> Trevor, do you know that your Xface isnt displayed properly? Or is
    >>> that on purpose?

    >> Had no idea, Pan doesn't display them. Seemed to have wrapped. Any
    >> better now?

    > no idea what that was supposed to be even after removing newlines :-\

    Now it's a VERY grainy full-face portrait - I think..

  9. Re: [OT] X-Face (WAS Re: Defrag)

    Trevor Best wrote in
    newsan.2008.07.07.17.41.41.962908@besty.org.uk:

    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 17:11:49 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>

    >> Trevor, do you know that your Xface isnt displayed properly? Or is
    >> that on purpose?

    > Had no idea, Pan doesn't display them. Seemed to have wrapped. Any
    > better now?

    I don't know what it's supposed to be but whatever it is probably isn't
    displayed right.

    Ken

  10. Re: [OT] X-Face (WAS Re: Defrag)

    * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 18:41:42 +0100, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 17:11:49 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Trevor Best wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>>

    >>> Trevor, do you know that your Xface isnt displayed properly? Or is
    >>> that on purpose?

    >> Had no idea, Pan doesn't display them. Seemed to have wrapped. Any
    >> better now?

    > no idea what that was supposed to be even after removing newlines :-\

    Yup, OK on this post.

    --
    David

  11. Re: [OT] X-Face (WAS Re: Defrag)

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 17:49:52 +0000, Ken wrote:

    > Now it's a VERY grainy full-face portrait - I think..

    Yes, that's what I look like IRL ;-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

+ Reply to Thread