Newsreader with user folder - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newsreader with user folder - Ubuntu ; I'm currently using Thunderbird as mail and news reader but I'm interested to test another news reader which can allow me to share the message folder in another partition (for i.e.: all message are in "Document" partition and, having a ...

  1. Newsreader with user folder

    I'm currently using Thunderbird as mail and news reader but I'm
    interested to test another news reader which can allow me to share the
    message folder in another partition (for i.e.: all message are in
    "Document" partition and, having a multiple boot system (Ubuntu,
    OpenSuse, Win2000) I'm looking for a good newsreader that I can use in
    different platforms sharing the messages (so I don't need to download
    again messages which I read previously if I change the OS from Ubuntu to
    another linux distro.
    Working with Windows 2000 is not mandatory for me.
    Please, do you have any advice for other newsreader software which, as
    allow me to set another partition for the message folder?

    Thank you
    MrKappa

  2. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    MrKappa wrote thus:
    > I'm currently using Thunderbird as mail and news reader but I'm
    > interested to test another news reader which can allow me to share the
    > message folder in another partition (for i.e.: all message are in
    > "Document" partition and, having a multiple boot system (Ubuntu,
    > OpenSuse, Win2000) I'm looking for a good newsreader that I can use in
    > different platforms sharing the messages (so I don't need to download
    > again messages which I read previously if I change the OS from Ubuntu to
    > another linux distro.
    > Working with Windows 2000 is not mandatory for me.
    > Please, do you have any advice for other newsreader software which, as
    > allow me to set another partition for the message folder?
    >
    > Thank you
    > MrKappa

    Might be worth reading this:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_profiles_-_mail

    --
    Steve

    A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is
    never sure.
    - Segal's Law

  3. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    > Might be worth reading this:
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_profiles_-_mail

    Thank you Steve.

    Sorry maybe my explanation was not clear.
    I'm currently using Thunderbird in dual boot with sharing profile.
    What I would like to do now is the same with another news reader which
    allows to share the profile in the same way.
    For example: is it possible to share the profile (the messages folder)
    using Pan or Evolution or any other good newsreader? Which you do you
    suggest?
    Thank you

  4. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    MrKappa wrote in news:486f85c4$1@newsgate.x-
    privat.org:

    > I'm currently using Thunderbird as mail and news reader but I'm
    > interested to test another news reader which can allow me to share the
    > message folder in another partition (for i.e.: all message are in
    > "Document" partition and, having a multiple boot system (Ubuntu,
    > OpenSuse, Win2000) I'm looking for a good newsreader that I can use in
    > different platforms sharing the messages (so I don't need to download
    > again messages which I read previously if I change the OS from Ubuntu to
    > another linux distro.

    You could run Xnews in Wine. Xnews doesn't install, so you could just point
    to the folder where it resides, no matter which OS you are booted into.
    I've successfully used the same Xnews folder in both Linux and Windows.

  5. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    > You could run Xnews in Wine. Xnews doesn't install, so you could just point
    > to the folder where it resides, no matter which OS you are booted into.
    > I've successfully used the same Xnews folder in both Linux and Windows.

    Hi, I have tried also Xnews time ago but I had some problems (I cannot
    reply on messages). Maybe it was a compatibility problem with previous
    Wine version.
    I will try again. Thank you for your advice.
    BR
    MrKappa

  6. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    MrKappa wrote in news:4870c890@newsgate.x-
    privat.org:

    > Hi, I have tried also Xnews time ago but I had some problems (I cannot
    > reply on messages). Maybe it was a compatibility problem with previous
    > Wine version.

    Xnews needs some special tweaking to work correctly in Wine. Take a look
    here:

    http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/...s-under-Linux-
    HOWTO/index.html

    http://tinyurl.com/yuwv88

  7. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    MrKappa wrote:
    >> You could run Xnews in Wine. Xnews doesn't install, so you could just
    >> point to the folder where it resides, no matter which OS you are
    >> booted into. I've successfully used the same Xnews folder in both
    >> Linux and Windows.

    > Hi, I have tried also Xnews time ago but I had some problems (I cannot
    > reply on messages). Maybe it was a compatibility problem with previous
    > Wine version.
    > I will try again. Thank you for your advice.
    > BR
    > MrKappa

    Nothing to do with XNews.
    Unfortunately I got some errors when I try to send a message.
    For example if I write a message to post on a NG I got the message "You
    did not make any change" and the message cannot be sent.
    I have also visualization problems.
    So basically better for me to use some other client (if possible) or
    continue to use Thunderbird.

    Thank you

  8. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    MrKappa schreef:
    > I'm currently using Thunderbird as mail and news reader but I'm
    > interested to test another news reader which can allow me to share the
    > message folder in another partition (for i.e.: all message are in
    > "Document" partition and, having a multiple boot system (Ubuntu,
    > OpenSuse, Win2000) I'm looking for a good newsreader that I can use in
    > different platforms sharing the messages (so I don't need to download
    > again messages which I read previously if I change the OS from Ubuntu to
    > another linux distro.
    > Working with Windows 2000 is not mandatory for me.
    > Please, do you have any advice for other newsreader software which, as
    > allow me to set another partition for the message folder?
    >
    > Thank you
    > MrKappa

    It sounds to me it's not an other mail client you need but a different
    protocol.
    Perhaps your E-mail provider offers IMAP?

  9. Re: Newsreader with user folder

  10. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    MrKappa wrote in news:487102dd$1@newsgate.x-
    privat.org:

    > Nothing to do with XNews.
    > Unfortunately I got some errors when I try to send a message.

    How ironic. He ignored my post about tweaking Xnews to work properly in
    Wine, then replied to his own posts as if replying to me.

  11. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    elaich wrote:
    > MrKappa wrote:
    >
    >> Nothing to do with XNews.
    >> Unfortunately I got some errors when I try to send a message.

    > How ironic. He ignored my post about tweaking Xnews to work
    > properly in Wine, then replied to his own posts as if replying
    > to me.

    Look again. His 'answer' didn't quote you, and did quote his own
    message. In addition it was entered withing 7 minutes of you
    entering your message, so he almost certainly had not received your
    answer.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  12. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > elaich wrote:
    >> MrKappa wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nothing to do with XNews.
    >>> Unfortunately I got some errors when I try to send a message.

    >> How ironic. He ignored my post about tweaking Xnews to work
    >> properly in Wine, then replied to his own posts as if replying
    >> to me.

    > Look again. His 'answer' didn't quote you, and did quote his own
    > message. In addition it was entered withing 7 minutes of you
    > entering your message, so he almost certainly had not received your
    > answer.

    Hello' Nothing mysterious! I just received in delay the answer.
    I will try the tricks posted on the other message.

    Thank you

  13. Re: Newsreader with user folder

    > Xnews needs some special tweaking to work correctly in Wine. Take a look
    > here:
    >
    > http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/...s-under-Linux-
    > HOWTO/index.html
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yuwv88