Laptop LCD display help please - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Laptop LCD display help please - Ubuntu ; I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on an old E-Systems VIA-based laptop (VN800 Unichrome display chip) with a physical LCD resolution of 1024x768. But Ubuntu currently thinks that the desktop is 1280x1024 AFAICS, which is starting to become a continual nuisance with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Laptop LCD display help please

    I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on an old E-Systems VIA-based laptop (VN800
    Unichrome display chip) with a physical LCD resolution of 1024x768.
    But Ubuntu currently thinks that the desktop is 1280x1024 AFAICS,
    which is starting to become a continual nuisance with the bottom and
    right-hand borders of the desktop inaccessible. I didn't set this -
    it's just how the install ended up.

    The display driver is whatever Ubuntu will have installed by default
    and is working well enough to give a clear display except for the
    virtual desktop size.

    Can anyone advise how/whether the virtual desktop size can be changed
    please - bit of a newcomer to Linux here!

  2. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    John Dann wrote:
    > I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on an old E-Systems VIA-based laptop (VN800
    > Unichrome display chip) with a physical LCD resolution of 1024x768.
    > But Ubuntu currently thinks that the desktop is 1280x1024 AFAICS,
    > which is starting to become a continual nuisance with the bottom and
    > right-hand borders of the desktop inaccessible. I didn't set this -
    > it's just how the install ended up.
    >
    > The display driver is whatever Ubuntu will have installed by default
    > and is working well enough to give a clear display except for the
    > virtual desktop size.
    >
    > Can anyone advise how/whether the virtual desktop size can be changed
    > please - bit of a newcomer to Linux here!

    System->Preferences->Screen Resolution

    you should be able to set it down there.

  3. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 09:34:59 -0400, Ajay Simha
    wrote:

    >System->Preferences->Screen Resolution

    >you should be able to set it down there.

    Sorry, should have said I've tried that. Initially the resolution is
    shown as 'None'. So I set it to 1024x768 manually. The refresh shows
    61Hz with no option to change. Select Apply and the display corrupts
    completely until the system is rebooted... back to square 1!

  4. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:03:44 +0100, John Dann wrote:

    > Sorry, should have said I've tried that. Initially the resolution is
    > shown as 'None'. So I set it to 1024x768 manually. The refresh shows
    > 61Hz with no option to change. Select Apply and the display corrupts
    > completely until the system is rebooted... back to square 1!

    Try System | Administration | Screen & Graphics then change Model to
    Generic and LCD Panel, 1024x768.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  5. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 10:23:28 -0500, jebblue wrote:

    >Try System | Administration | Screen & Graphics then change Model to
    >Generic and LCD Panel, 1024x768.

    Thanks, but on my Ubuntu installation there's no System |
    Administration | Screen & Graphics menu option! Could this maybe be
    connected with the problem. If so, how might I fix it?

  6. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 14:16:08 +0100, John Dann wrote:

    > I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on an old E-Systems VIA-based laptop (VN800
    > Unichrome display chip) with a physical LCD resolution of 1024x768. But
    > Ubuntu currently thinks that the desktop is 1280x1024 AFAICS, which is
    > starting to become a continual nuisance with the bottom and right-hand
    > borders of the desktop inaccessible. I didn't set this - it's just how
    > the install ended up.
    >
    > The display driver is whatever Ubuntu will have installed by default and
    > is working well enough to give a clear display except for the virtual
    > desktop size.
    >
    > Can anyone advise how/whether the virtual desktop size can be changed
    > please - bit of a newcomer to Linux here!

    From what you describe "bottom and right-hand borders inaccessible" it
    sounds like it could be a virtual desktop setting problem - show us your
    xorg.conf file.

    You may have better luck with the via graphics using the 'openchrome' or
    'unichrome' driver - suggest you try both of them. Install from synaptic
    and change /etc/X11/xorg.conf as appropriate.

  7. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:41:13 +0100, John Dann
    wrote:

    OK - further information:

    If I do gksudo displayconfig-gtk (don't know exactly what I'm doing
    here - just following a recipe in a book!) from a terminal window then
    I get a bunch of error messages, the last of which refers to:

    File /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xf86misc.py

    in getSize

    return self.sizes[self.currentsizeid]

    IndexError: list index out of range

    ------------------

    So do I take it that the display configuration is actually being set
    by a Python file? And that in my particular installation this file is
    either corrupt or - perhaps more likely - has a bug that only surfaces
    on my rather unusual hardware configuration?

    Any ideas for a workaround? Or is this a red herring?

  8. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    John Dann wrote:

    > Can anyone advise how/whether the virtual desktop size can be changed
    > please - bit of a newcomer to Linux here!

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

    If that doesn't work, post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  9. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    John Dann wrote:
    > bblue

    >> Try System | Administration | Screen & Graphics then change Model to
    >> Generic and LCD Panel, 1024x768.

    > Thanks, but on my Ubuntu installation there's no System |
    > Administration | Screen & Graphics menu option! Could this maybe be
    > connected with the problem. If so, how might I fix it?

    I have a 'Screen Resolution' tool in System Preferences, but I might have
    added that. I don't have a System/ Admin/ Screen & Graphics.

    Synaptic search on resolution shows I have gnome-control-center and
    xresprobe, both of which seem applicable to making res changes.

    My experience in the past has been that resolution changer gizmos often
    don't have the resolution and the frequencies which I want.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 17:02:12 +0100, John Dann wrote:

    > So do I take it that the display configuration is actually being set by
    > a Python file? And that in my particular installation this file is
    > either corrupt or - perhaps more likely - has a bug that only surfaces
    > on my rather unusual hardware configuration?
    >
    > Any ideas for a workaround? Or is this a red herring?

    My mistake on the earlier call, I'm still on 7.10. Screen & Graphics
    for me points to "gksu displayconfig-gtk". If that isn't running for you
    then I guess file a bug: http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ReportProblem

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  11. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > John Dann wrote:
    >> bblue

    >>> Try System | Administration | Screen & Graphics then change Model to
    >>> Generic and LCD Panel, 1024x768.

    >> Thanks, but on my Ubuntu installation there's no System |
    >> Administration | Screen & Graphics menu option! Could this maybe be
    >> connected with the problem. If so, how might I fix it?

    > I have a 'Screen Resolution' tool in System Preferences, but I might have
    > added that. I don't have a System/ Admin/ Screen & Graphics.

    It turns out that I have a Screen & Graphics, but it isn't in
    SystemAdmin but in the Main Menu under Other and it is b0rken, see
    below. I can move it from Other menu to SysAdmin, but I don't know how
    to fix it.

    My Screen Resolution function activates gnome-display-properties,
    whereas my Screen & Graphics activates gksu displayconfig-gtk which
    fails, see below.

    If I run Screen & Graphics from the menu, it tries to run, but fails to
    display. If I run displayconfig from the commandline to see the error,
    I get this:

    gksu displayconfig-gtk
    File "/usr/bin/displayconfig-gtk", line 75, in
    app = DisplayConfig(options)
    File
    "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/displayconfiggtk/DisplayConfig.py",
    line 189, in __init__
    debug_scan_pci_filename=self.options.pcitable)
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/displayconfigabstraction.py",
    line 394, in __init__
    self._finalizeInit()
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/displayconfigabstraction.py",
    line 404, in _finalizeInit
    gfxcard._finalizeInit()
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/displayconfigabstraction.py",
    line 1123, in _finalizeInit
    screen._finalizeInit()
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/displayconfigabstraction.py",
    line 1588, in _finalizeInit
    (cw,ch,x,x) = self.x_live_screen.getSize()
    File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xf86misc.py", line 77, in getSize
    return self.sizes[self.currentsizeid]
    IndexError: list index out of range

    ....which will probably wrap in a mess.

    --
    Mike Easter

  12. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > John Dann wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone advise how/whether the virtual desktop size can be changed
    >> please - bit of a newcomer to Linux here!

    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

    That won't work on 8.04. It uses the "bulletproof" Xorg 7.3

    > If that doesn't work, post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

    Yes. That's what we need.

    --
    "So I went down my local ice~cream shop, and said 'I want to buy an
    ice~cream'. He said Hundreds & thousands?' I said 'We'll start with

  13. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    No ****? I didn't know that. A pity, it was a good tool.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  14. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Mark Warner typing:

    >>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

    >> That won't work on 8.04. It uses the "bulletproof" Xorg 7.3

    > No ****? I didn't know that. A pity, it was a good tool.

    Good if you run into a problem. The Bulletproof Xorg 7.3 is designed
    to get you a screen display without resorting to a reconfiguration.
    And to be fair, it works very well.

    All that command will now do is back up your old xorg.conf and replace
    it with what xorg thinks is "optimal" for your system.

    --
    "Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder
    a loved one because they're the devil." ~ Emo Philips

  15. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    Thanks for all the replies/advice but unfortunately the end result
    seems to be a big step backwards. I tried to reconfigure the
    card/screen and sort of succeeded but with the result that I now seem
    to be stuck in low-resolution mode (800x600) which is really just too
    low to usefully display a complex programming IDE with multiple panes
    etc.

    The system did seem to back up my xorg.conf (which I presume is the
    file where the display etc settings are stored?) but I've no idea how
    to try to go back to the previous version - I don't seem to be able
    simply to rename/overwrite the current xorg.conf file.

    Anyone got any ideas please on whether the situation can be rescued or
    should I just admit defeat and return to the Windows world (where life
    was quite a lot simpler and allowed me to actually get on with some
    real work and not spend hours having to constantly tinker with the
    system configuration)?

    The contents of the old xorg.conf version seem to be as follows (but I
    don't know whether this was a complete or only a partial copy of what
    went before):

    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by failsafeDexconf, using
    # values from the debconf database and some overrides to use vesa
    mode.
    #
    # You should use dexconf or another such tool for creating a "real"
    xorg.conf
    # For example:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
    EndSection
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Boardname "vesa"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver "vesa"
    Screen 0
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    Vendorname "Generic LCD Display"
    Modelname "LCD Panel 1024x768"
    Horizsync 31.5-48.0
    Vertrefresh 56.0 - 65.0
    modeline "640x480@60" 25.2 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -vsync
    -hsync
    modeline "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync
    +vsync
    modeline "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync
    +vsync
    modeline "1024x768@60" 65.0 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806
    -vsync -hsync
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Defaultdepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768@60" "800x600@60"
    "800x600@56" "640x480@60"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    Inputdevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection
    Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "v4l"
    EndSection
    Section "device" #
    Identifier "device1"
    Boardname "vesa"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver "vesa"
    Screen 1
    EndSection
    Section "screen" #
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Defaultdepth 24
    Monitor "monitor1"
    EndSection
    Section "monitor" #
    Identifier "monitor1"
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection
    Section "ServerFlags"
    EndSection

  16. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    * John Dann wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Thanks for all the replies/advice but unfortunately the end result
    > seems to be a big step backwards. I tried to reconfigure the
    > card/screen and sort of succeeded but with the result that I now seem
    > to be stuck in low-resolution mode (800x600) which is really just too
    > low to usefully display a complex programming IDE with multiple panes
    > etc.

    > The system did seem to back up my xorg.conf (which I presume is the
    > file where the display etc settings are stored?) but I've no idea how
    > to try to go back to the previous version - I don't seem to be able
    > simply to rename/overwrite the current xorg.conf file.

    sudo cp /path/to/backup /path/to/current

    [...]

    --
    David

  17. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 12:59:33 GMT, SINNER
    <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    >sudo cp /path/to/backup /path/to/current

    Ah OK - that makes sense - I was trying to do it through a graphical
    File Manager, which wouldn't let me complete the overwrite.

    Right: at least I'm now back (AFAICS) to where I was with a screen
    resolution of 1024x768. But I still have the original problem, ie the
    desktop seems to think that the screen is larger than that.

    So is there anything in my xorg.conf (see a couple of posts back in
    the thread) that might suggest what the problem might be? Must admit
    that I can't spot anything obvious. Is there maybe a different config
    file that controls the desktop size settings?

    Thanks for any further help.

  18. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    * John Dann wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:41:13 +0100, John Dann
    > wrote:

    > OK - further information:

    > If I do gksudo displayconfig-gtk (don't know exactly what I'm doing
    > here - just following a recipe in a book!) from a terminal window then
    > I get a bunch of error messages, the last of which refers to:

    > File /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xf86misc.py

    > in getSize

    > return self.sizes[self.currentsizeid]

    > IndexError: list index out of range

    > ------------------

    > So do I take it that the display configuration is actually being set
    > by a Python file? And that in my particular installation this file is
    > either corrupt or - perhaps more likely - has a bug that only surfaces
    > on my rather unusual hardware configuration?

    Actually displayconfig-gtk is the gui used to adjust the configuration
    and is located in the package of the same name.

    what is the output of

    xrandr

    --
    David

    > Any ideas for a workaround? Or is this a red herring?

  19. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 14:16:08 +0100, John Dann wrote:

    > I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on an old E-Systems VIA-based laptop (VN800
    > Unichrome display chip) with a physical LCD resolution of 1024x768. But

    I typed "ubuntu via vn800 unichrome" into Google and came up with:

    Hopefully that helps.
    --
    // This is my opinion.

  20. Re: Laptop LCD display help please

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 23:36:34 GMT, SINNER
    <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    >what is the output of xrandr?

    ------------------------------------
    Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 800, maximum 1280 x 800
    default connected
    1280x800 0.0
    1280x768 61.0
    1024x768 61.0
    800x600 61.0
    720x576 0.0
    720x540 0.0
    720x480 0.0
    640x480 61.0
    ----------------------------------

    I guess the problem is 'current 1280 x 800' (even though it doesn't
    seem to have a refresh rate assigned).

    Any way I can change this without changing the display driver? (I'd
    prefer to keep that as a last resort, having spent some hours already
    trying unsuccessfully to do it - plus the display is actually
    displaying fine in terms of quality, mouse movement/clicks etc, it's
    just that the desktop area is set to something bigger than the
    physical display.) Or am I still best off trying to find a compatible
    driver (the 8.04 openchrome driver is not compatible AFAICS with my
    VIA VN800 chipset)?

    JGD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast