slrn Sourceforge site - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on slrn Sourceforge site - Ubuntu ; Hi, The Ubuntu branch of the slrn mafia might be interested to see that the slrn website: http://slrn.sourceforge.net has been hugely updated and made ready for the upcoming version 0.9.9. The site is a little bare at the moment and ...

  1. slrn Sourceforge site

    Hi,

    The Ubuntu branch of the slrn mafia might be interested to see that the
    slrn website:

    http://slrn.sourceforge.net

    has been hugely updated and made ready for the upcoming version 0.9.9.
    The site is a little bare at the moment and I suspect contributions will
    doubtless be welcomed by the new webmaster: links, macros, patches etc
    etc.

    Regards,

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  2. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hi,
    >
    > The Ubuntu branch of the slrn mafia might be interested to see that the
    > slrn website:
    >
    > http://slrn.sourceforge.net
    >
    > has been hugely updated and made ready for the upcoming version 0.9.9.
    > The site is a little bare at the moment and I suspect contributions will
    > doubtless be welcomed by the new webmaster: links, macros, patches etc
    > etc.

    Nicely done, Mr Strong.

    Exceptionally good website. The K.I.S.S. Implemetation is superb. You
    can drill through the wealth of information on there with ease.

    --
    "I once had a large gay following, but I ducked into an alleyway and
    lost him." ~ Emo Philips

  3. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    On 2008-07-04, Moog wrote:
    > andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> The Ubuntu branch of the slrn mafia might be interested to see that the
    >> slrn website:
    >>
    >> http://slrn.sourceforge.net

    > Exceptionally good website. The K.I.S.S. Implemetation is superb. You
    > can drill through the wealth of information on there with ease.

    My blushes :-). I will be adding PJR's updated documentation shortly and
    crossing my fingers for a release of 0.9.9 soon. It is a great time to
    be involved with slrn at the moment!

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  4. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-07-04, Moog wrote:
    >> andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> The Ubuntu branch of the slrn mafia might be interested to see that the
    >>> slrn website:
    >>>
    >>> http://slrn.sourceforge.net

    >> Exceptionally good website. The K.I.S.S. Implemetation is superb. You
    >> can drill through the wealth of information on there with ease.

    > My blushes :-). I will be adding PJR's updated documentation shortly and
    > crossing my fingers for a release of 0.9.9 soon. It is a great time to
    > be involved with slrn at the moment!

    I've had a quick look at PJR's Doc site and it looks superb. It needs
    a little of the "Strong Touch" though on the naviagation front. IMHO.

    No offence meant Peter.

    Are you going to just link to it Andrew, or are you and Peter likely
    to collaborate (And I'm not talking about shaving your heads in a Nazi
    occupied France :-P)?

    --
    "I was in a bar the other night, hopping from barstool to barstool,
    trying to get lucky, but there wasn't any gum under any of them." ~ Emo

  5. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    * andrew wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Hi,

    > The Ubuntu branch of the slrn mafia might be interested to see that the
    > slrn website:

    > http://slrn.sourceforge.net

    > has been hugely updated and made ready for the upcoming version 0.9.9.
    > The site is a little bare at the moment and I suspect contributions will
    > doubtless be welcomed by the new webmaster: links, macros, patches etc
    > etc.

    Nicely done! Looking forward to the release.

    --
    David

  6. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, andrew had the audacity to say that:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The Ubuntu branch of the slrn mafia might be interested to see that the
    > slrn website:
    >
    > http://slrn.sourceforge.net
    >
    > has been hugely updated and made ready for the upcoming version 0.9.9.
    > The site is a little bare at the moment and I suspect contributions will
    > doubtless be welcomed by the new webmaster: links, macros, patches etc
    > etc.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andrew

    Wow, finally an all in one clearinghouse for info about slrn. I don't know
    what I'd do without this lil program!

    *R* *H*

    --
    "You will have an marvelous journey. And, young as you are, what matter if it
    costs you some pain -- or even a little blood?..."

  7. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 4 Jul 2008 20:29:26 GMT, Moog
    wrote:

    > andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-07-04, Moog wrote:
    >>> andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Exceptionally good website. The K.I.S.S. Implemetation is superb. You
    >>> can drill through the wealth of information on there with ease.

    >> My blushes :-). I will be adding PJR's updated documentation shortly and
    >> crossing my fingers for a release of 0.9.9 soon. It is a great time to
    >> be involved with slrn at the moment!

    > I've had a quick look at PJR's Doc site and it looks superb. It needs
    > a little of the "Strong Touch" though on the naviagation front. IMHO.
    >
    > No offence meant Peter.

    Have you seen ? I'm hoping that "The
    Strong Touch" will become noticeable after the more urgent task of updating
    existing slrn docs for the 0.9.9 release has been completed.

    > Are you going to just link to it Andrew, or are you and Peter likely
    > to collaborate (And I'm not talking about shaving your heads in a Nazi
    > occupied France :-P)?

    I think we'll be collaborating, but growing silly little black moustaches
    will be optional.

    --
    PJR :-)

  8. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 4 Jul 2008 20:29:26 GMT, Moog
    > wrote:
    >
    >> andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> My blushes :-). I will be adding PJR's updated documentation shortly and
    >>> crossing my fingers for a release of 0.9.9 soon. It is a great time to
    >>> be involved with slrn at the moment!

    >> I've had a quick look at PJR's Doc site and it looks superb. It needs
    >> a little of the "Strong Touch" though on the naviagation front. IMHO.
    >>
    >> No offence meant Peter.

    > Have you seen ? I'm hoping that "The
    > Strong Touch" will become noticeable after the more urgent task of updating
    > existing slrn docs for the 0.9.9 release has been completed.

    Yes. I have seen it Peter. Sorry if my comments sounded flippant, they
    weren't intended to.

    >> Are you going to just link to it Andrew, or are you and Peter likely
    >> to collaborate (And I'm not talking about shaving your heads in a Nazi
    >> occupied France :-P)?

    > I think we'll be collaborating, but growing silly little black moustaches
    > will be optional.

    Heh.

    --
    “Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented
    custard” ~ Spike Milligan.

  9. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    On 2008-07-04, Moog wrote:

    > I've had a quick look at PJR's Doc site and it looks superb. It needs
    > a little of the "Strong Touch" though on the naviagation front. IMHO.
    >
    > No offence meant Peter.
    >
    > Are you going to just link to it Andrew, or are you and Peter likely
    > to collaborate (And I'm not talking about shaving your heads in a Nazi
    > occupied France :-P)?

    There has been a great deal of collaboration already :-). PJR has
    undertaken I believe a much more onerous task in not only spearheading
    the project to get the slrn docs up to date but in restarting the
    slrn-doc project complete with its own subversion repository so that the
    documentation of slrn will continue on past the release of slrn 0.9.9

    http://slrn-doc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/slrn-doc/

    To produce a dozen or so web pages is much simpler :-).

    So the short answer is: I can always depend on PJR for guidance with the
    slrn material on the web site and for my own part I hope to become
    involved in the slrn-doc project after the release of 0.9.9.

    And is anybody seriously going to stay with the release version of slrn
    after the roller-coaster ride of slrn pre0.9.9 :-). 'svn update' is so
    much more fun!

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  10. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    * andrew wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Hi,

    > The Ubuntu branch of the slrn mafia might be interested to see that the
    > slrn website:

    > http://slrn.sourceforge.net

    > has been hugely updated and made ready for the upcoming version 0.9.9.
    > The site is a little bare at the moment and I suspect contributions will
    > doubtless be welcomed by the new webmaster: links, macros, patches etc
    > etc.

    Andrew,

    Just wanted to give you a pointer to jpn's hompage. He has written a
    considerable number of macros for slrn as well and I notice that it is
    not linked from your site. I havent seen jbn post in at least a couple
    of years but his macros are quite good.

    http://forestfield.org/

    --
    David

  11. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    On 2008-07-05, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    > Just wanted to give you a pointer to jpn's hompage. He has written a
    > considerable number of macros for slrn as well and I notice that it is
    > not linked from your site. I havent seen jbn post in at least a couple
    > of years but his macros are quite good.
    >
    > http://forestfield.org/

    Thanks for that I shall add this in. There are a great number of links on
    the site that point to macros / patches / walkthroughs etc that deal
    with older versions of slrn and s-lang. My strategy is to leave them all
    linked from on the site and hope that the stimulus of a new version of
    slrn may reanimate the pages.

    I note that jbn is still _very_ active on his blog pages, well worth a
    read.

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  12. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    On 2008-07-04, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, andrew had the audacity to say that:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The Ubuntu branch of the slrn mafia might be interested to see that the
    >> slrn website:
    >>
    >> http://slrn.sourceforge.net
    >>
    >> has been hugely updated and made ready for the upcoming version 0.9.9.
    >> The site is a little bare at the moment and I suspect contributions will
    >> doubtless be welcomed by the new webmaster: links, macros, patches etc
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > Wow, finally an all in one clearinghouse for info about slrn. I don't know
    > what I'd do without this lil program!

    Indeed. It deflects all the unecessary load and delivers the goods.

  13. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    On 2008-07-05, andrew wrote:
    > On 2008-07-04, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> I've had a quick look at PJR's Doc site and it looks superb. It needs
    >> a little of the "Strong Touch" though on the naviagation front. IMHO.
    >>
    >> No offence meant Peter.
    >>
    >> Are you going to just link to it Andrew, or are you and Peter likely
    >> to collaborate (And I'm not talking about shaving your heads in a Nazi
    >> occupied France :-P)?

    > There has been a great deal of collaboration already :-). PJR has
    > undertaken I believe a much more onerous task in not only spearheading
    > the project to get the slrn docs up to date but in restarting the
    > slrn-doc project complete with its own subversion repository so that the
    > documentation of slrn will continue on past the release of slrn 0.9.9
    >
    > http://slrn-doc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/slrn-doc/
    >
    > To produce a dozen or so web pages is much simpler :-).
    >
    > So the short answer is: I can always depend on PJR for guidance with the
    > slrn material on the web site and for my own part I hope to become
    > involved in the slrn-doc project after the release of 0.9.9.
    >
    > And is anybody seriously going to stay with the release version of slrn
    > after the roller-coaster ride of slrn pre0.9.9 :-). 'svn update' is so
    > much more fun!

    Look at this gentle reader, Andrew and PJR working on something, will make
    it better, and yet all they desire is more of us to use the programme, for
    it is good.

    Now where the hell is the profit in that? ( To quote a closed minds'
    thoughts

  14. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-07-04, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> I've had a quick look at PJR's Doc site and it looks superb. It needs
    >> a little of the "Strong Touch" though on the naviagation front. IMHO.
    >>
    >> No offence meant Peter.
    >>
    >> Are you going to just link to it Andrew, or are you and Peter likely
    >> to collaborate (And I'm not talking about shaving your heads in a Nazi
    >> occupied France :-P)?

    > There has been a great deal of collaboration already :-). PJR has
    > undertaken I believe a much more onerous task in not only spearheading
    > the project to get the slrn docs up to date but in restarting the
    > slrn-doc project complete with its own subversion repository so that the
    > documentation of slrn will continue on past the release of slrn 0.9.9
    >
    > http://slrn-doc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/slrn-doc/
    >
    > To produce a dozen or so web pages is much simpler :-).

    Absolutely. And it's great news that this is all happeneing.

    > So the short answer is: I can always depend on PJR for guidance with the
    > slrn material on the web site and for my own part I hope to become
    > involved in the slrn-doc project after the release of 0.9.9.
    >
    > And is anybody seriously going to stay with the release version of slrn
    > after the roller-coaster ride of slrn pre0.9.9 :-). 'svn update' is so
    > much more fun!

    Absolutely not. I want to use my bash history file frequntly.

    --
    On another night, they'd have won 2-2. ~ Ron Atkinson

  15. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 6 Jul 2008 05:33:55 GMT, Gordon
    wrote:

    > Look at this gentle reader, Andrew and PJR working on something, will make
    > it better, and yet all they desire is more of us to use the programme, for
    > it is good.

    slrn is a damn fine newsreader. I often suggest alternatives, such as
    gnus and tin, but I believe that slrn is probably the best.

    However, slrn seems to have a steep learning curve, and one of tbe
    aims of tbe slrn-doc project is to make that learning curve less
    steep.

    > Now where the hell is the profit in that? ( To quote a closed minds'
    > thoughts

    We don't need to be paid for having fun. Using slrn is fun, and
    writing/updating slrn documentation is fun too.

    I suppose Outlook Express and Forté Agent are well documented, but
    the authors of the documentation are unlikely to have a friendly chat
    with you on Usenet. Isn't open-source software great!

    --
    PJR :-)

  16. Re: slrn Sourceforge site

    On 2008-07-07, Peter J Ross wrote:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 6 Jul 2008 05:33:55 GMT, Gordon
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Look at this gentle reader, Andrew and PJR working on something, will make
    >> it better, and yet all they desire is more of us to use the programme, for
    >> it is good.

    > slrn is a damn fine newsreader. I often suggest alternatives, such as
    > gnus and tin, but I believe that slrn is probably the best.
    >
    > However, slrn seems to have a steep learning curve, and one of tbe
    > aims of tbe slrn-doc project is to make that learning curve less
    > steep.
    >
    >> Now where the hell is the profit in that? ( To quote a closed minds'
    >> thoughts

    > We don't need to be paid for having fun. Using slrn is fun, and
    > writing/updating slrn documentation is fun too.
    >
    > I suppose Outlook Express and Forté Agent are well documented, but
    > the authors of the documentation are unlikely to have a friendly chat
    > with you on Usenet. Isn't open-source software great!

    It sure is. And I'm glad to have you guys here...

    I gave myself a primer in slrn Score-ing yesterday, figuring out how
    to do all kinds of fun stuff. Rules like eliminating all posts from
    GoogleGroups, except for on one newsgroup (where about half of the
    people are google folks, and not likely to switch). Eliminating all
    posts crossposted to a specific newsgroup, while allowing the posts
    from the groups below it in the hierarchy...

    The more I use slrn, the more I love it. With some time and effort,
    you can make usenet look exactly as you want it to, eliminating most
    (or all) of the drooling morons.

    Thanks for the effort, guys!

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread