That slow Linux GUI thing... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on That slow Linux GUI thing... - Ubuntu ; Hello people, Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Hello people,

    Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed
    Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was very slow. I
    then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.

    This has been discussed a thousand times on the web but I never managed
    to get a clear and simple answer.

    Cheers

  2. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hello people,
    >
    > Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    > slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed
    > Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was very slow. I
    > then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    > Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.

    Well. First off, what window manager are you *actually* using.

    If you are referring to Gnome, then my dual boot laptop runs gnome one
    hell of a lot quicker than it runs the Wondows UI interface.

    If you are experiencing any slowdown, I would suggest you have a
    misconfiguration somewhere.

    You'll need to do some digging by running something like "top" from a
    terminal window to see what is hogging your resources. This will give
    you some clues.

    Post the output here if you'd like.

    > This has been discussed a thousand times on the web but I never managed
    > to get a clear and simple answer.

    Where? I've never seen any such discussions. Are you trolling?

    --
    "I ran three miles today. Finally I said, "Lady take your purse." ~ Emo
    Philips

  3. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:45:46 +0200, Théophane wrote:

    > Hello people,
    >
    > Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    > slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed
    > Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was very slow. I
    > then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    > Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.
    >
    > This has been discussed a thousand times on the web but I never managed
    > to get a clear and simple answer.
    >
    > Cheers

    Which "Linux GUI" do you refer to? If KDE is not 'responsive' enough for
    you, then try Gnome. If Gnome is not 'responsive' enough for you, then try
    XFCE, Enlightenment or one of the other 'lighter' desktops.

  4. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Hey,

    First off, YES, I'm obviously trolling

    I have had that slow GUI feeling on both Gnome and KDE on several
    Desktop and Laptop computers. Everytime I'm using a computer running
    Windows I'm impressed by the responsiveness of the GUI.

    As for previous threads dealing with that issue, I've read a lot of
    these on Nvidia's official forums :
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

    Moog a écrit :
    > Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Hello people,
    >>
    >> Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    >> slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was very slow. I
    >> then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    >> Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.

    > Well. First off, what window manager are you *actually* using.
    >
    > If you are referring to Gnome, then my dual boot laptop runs gnome one
    > hell of a lot quicker than it runs the Wondows UI interface.
    >
    > If you are experiencing any slowdown, I would suggest you have a
    > misconfiguration somewhere.
    >
    > You'll need to do some digging by running something like "top" from a
    > terminal window to see what is hogging your resources. This will give
    > you some clues.
    >
    > Post the output here if you'd like.
    >
    >> This has been discussed a thousand times on the web but I never managed
    >> to get a clear and simple answer.

    > Where? I've never seen any such discussions. Are you trolling?

  5. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hey,
    >
    > First off, YES, I'm obviously trolling
    >
    > I have had that slow GUI feeling on both Gnome and KDE on several
    > Desktop and Laptop computers. Everytime I'm using a computer running
    > Windows I'm impressed by the responsiveness of the GUI.
    >
    > As for previous threads dealing with that issue, I've read a lot of
    > these on Nvidia's official forums :
    > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

    Interesting...

    Are you using closed source nvidia drivers (possibly in beta) and
    judging the performance of the OS whilst doing it?

    First off. NVidia actually produce their windows drivers first and
    then produce a kinda version for linux *without* support. Unless you
    have it correctly configured, you will see issues.

    Post your xorg.conf file.

    Terminal
    $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    I'll show you how to get speed from the user interface.

    --
    Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to wear ear plugs. ~ Spike
    Milligan

  6. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Thophane wrote:

    > the GUI was very slow. I
    > then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    > Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.

    How do you define 'gui' in this context?

    Could you give a tangible measurable quantity of gui that can be compared
    one to the other?

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Thophane wrote:
    > Hello people,
    >
    > Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    > slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed
    > Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was very slow. I
    > then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    > Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.
    >
    > This has been discussed a thousand times on the web but I never managed
    > to get a clear and simple answer.
    >
    > Cheers

    If you want slow, try XP with tons of registry gunk and programs running
    in the background. My Ubuntu Gnome desktop is pretty much click/POW, and
    my XP is down to a crawl on the same machine, even for just scrolling a
    text opened in Notepad. If I use KDE Ubuntu it is just as fast.
    Use both for about 2 months and the windoze will come to a crawl while
    the Ubuntu stays fast.
    Go figure, huh?
    Bill Baka

  8. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    In article <486aa589$0$30691$426a74cc@news.free.fr>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Th=E9ophane?= wrote:
    >Hello people,
    >
    >Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    >slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed
    >Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was very slow. I
    >then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    >Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.
    >
    >This has been discussed a thousand times on the web but I never managed
    >to get a clear and simple answer.

    Mileages vary. Mine is different from yours as linux is faster (but that's
    kubuntu 7.10 vs XP).

  9. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Théophane wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > First off, YES, I'm obviously trolling

    Obviously
    You are also obviously top-posting, because you just don't get it.
    Manure spreaders like you should unload out of the rear, but it is
    fitting that you insist on unloading out of the front, therefore
    covering yourself with your own manure. Any farmers out there agree with
    this?

  10. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Moog wrote:

    > Post your xorg.conf file.
    >
    > Terminal
    > $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    Something someone told me the other day - move /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a
    backup file - so /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist. Xorg will then guess
    which driver to use. I tried it and went from using the slow VESA driver
    to an automagically configured NV driver.

    Don't think this will work to get the proprietary Nvidia driver going
    though. Sounds to me like you are using the VESA driver.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  11. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    In article , Joe wrote:
    >On 2008-07-01, Théophane wrote:
    >> Hello people,
    >>
    >> Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    >> slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was very slow. I
    >> then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    >> Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.
    >>
    >> This has been discussed a thousand times on the web but I never managed
    >> to get a clear and simple answer.

    >Not sure what, exactly, you mean... My gui is plenty fast, and I've
    >noticed no slowdown.
    >
    >If you are talking about the loading of certain apps, there is,
    >indeed, a good reason.
    >
    >For instance: Many windows apps, on install, set up a "quick loader",
    >which, in essence, is the same as having most of the app already
    >loaded before you click on it. Therefore, when you double-click on,
    >say, internet exploder, it only has to load the front end, not the
    >whole application. Linux, in general, does not do this. It loads
    >apps on demand.

    That typed, open office apparently loads all of itself when called (instead
    of just the spreadsheet or word processor you'll get with windows). Means
    the initial (say) spreadsheet might be a tad slower to start than (say) XL,
    but if you want to do any other office things (like word
    processing/presentation etc), it's way faster. Sometimes that annoys me ...
    but usually, it's great.

  12. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    On 2008-07-01, Théophane wrote:
    > Hello people,
    >
    > Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    > slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed
    > Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was very slow. I
    > then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    > Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.
    >
    > This has been discussed a thousand times on the web but I never managed
    > to get a clear and simple answer.
    >
    > Cheers

    Not sure what, exactly, you mean... My gui is plenty fast, and I've
    noticed no slowdown.

    If you are talking about the loading of certain apps, there is,
    indeed, a good reason.

    For instance: Many windows apps, on install, set up a "quick loader",
    which, in essence, is the same as having most of the app already
    loaded before you click on it. Therefore, when you double-click on,
    say, internet exploder, it only has to load the front end, not the
    whole application. Linux, in general, does not do this. It loads
    apps on demand.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  13. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 21:56:38 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:45:46 +0200, Thophane wrote:
    >
    >> Hello people,
    >>
    >> Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    >> slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed
    >> Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was very slow. I
    >> then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    >> Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.
    >>
    >> This has been discussed a thousand times on the web but I never managed
    >> to get a clear and simple answer.
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > Which "Linux GUI" do you refer to? If KDE is not 'responsive' enough for
    > you, then try Gnome. If Gnome is not 'responsive' enough for you, then try
    > XFCE, Enlightenment or one of the other 'lighter' desktops.

    fluxbox ;-)

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  14. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:45:46 +0200, Thophane wrote:

    > Hello people,
    >
    > Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    > slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I installed
    > Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was very slow. I
    > then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty obvious.
    > Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.
    >
    > This has been discussed a thousand times on the web but I never managed
    > to get a clear and simple answer.
    >
    > Cheers

    Did you install the restricted video driver or use Envy or are you using
    the Vesa one? Using Vesa would be the same as using the bog standard VGA
    driver in XP, which would give a very slow and unresponsive desktop.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  15. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Théophane schrieb:

    > Could anyone out there explain me precisely why the Linux GUI is way
    > slower than the Windows' one, even on the latest computers. I
    > installed Ubuntu 8.04 on an Aspire 3023 the other day and the GUI was
    > very slow. I then installed Windows XP and the difference was pretty
    > obvious. Windows' GUI was more responsive and way faster.

    If you're using Xgl: Uninstall it. My machine was slow, like hell:
    starting mc in "konsole" took about about 20 sec; you could watch it
    render the screen. I uninstalled Xgl and everything was fine.

    Greets
    Andreas

  16. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Moog a écrit :
    > Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Hey,
    >>
    >> First off, YES, I'm obviously trolling
    >>
    >> I have had that slow GUI feeling on both Gnome and KDE on several
    >> Desktop and Laptop computers. Everytime I'm using a computer running
    >> Windows I'm impressed by the responsiveness of the GUI.
    >>
    >> As for previous threads dealing with that issue, I've read a lot of
    >> these on Nvidia's official forums :
    >> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

    > Interesting...
    >
    > Are you using closed source nvidia drivers (possibly in beta) and
    > judging the performance of the OS whilst doing it?
    >
    > First off. NVidia actually produce their windows drivers first and
    > then produce a kinda version for linux *without* support. Unless you
    > have it correctly configured, you will see issues.
    >
    > Post your xorg.conf file.
    >
    > Terminal
    > $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    >
    > I'll show you how to get speed from the user interface.

    Using the vesa driver since the Nvidia driver is A SHAME
    Here is my Xorg file :

    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by failsafeDexconf, using
    # values from the debconf database and some overrides to use vesa mode.
    #
    # You should use dexconf or another such tool for creating a "real"
    xorg.conf
    # For example:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
    EndSection
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Boardname "vesa"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver "vesa"
    Screen 0
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    Vendorname "Generic LCD Display"
    Modelname "LCD Panel 1440x900"
    Horizsync 31.5-56.0
    Vertrefresh 56.0 - 65.0
    modeline "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync
    +vsync
    modeline "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync
    +vsync
    modeline "1280x768@60" 80.14 1280 1344 1480 1680 768 769 772 795
    -hsync +vsync
    modeline "1280x720@60" 74.48 1280 1336 1472 1664 720 721 724 746
    -hsync +vsync
    modeline "1280x800@60" 83.46 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828
    -hsync +vsync
    modeline "1440x900@60" 106.47 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932
    -hsync +vsync
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Defaultdepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 1440 900
    Modes "1440x900@60" "1280x800@60" "1280x720@60" "1280x768@60"
    "800x600@60" "800x600@56"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    Inputdevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection
    Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    Load "GLcore"
    Load "v4l"
    EndSection
    Section "device" #
    Identifier "device1"
    Boardname "vesa"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver "vesa"
    Screen 1
    EndSection
    Section "screen" #
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Defaultdepth 24
    Monitor "monitor1"
    EndSection
    Section "monitor" #
    Identifier "monitor1"
    Gamma 1.0
    EndSection
    Section "ServerFlags"
    EndSection

  17. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 10:32:38 +0200, Théophane wrote:

    > Moog a écrit :
    >> Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Hey,
    >>>
    >>> First off, YES, I'm obviously trolling
    >>>
    >>> I have had that slow GUI feeling on both Gnome and KDE on several
    >>> Desktop and Laptop computers. Everytime I'm using a computer running
    >>> Windows I'm impressed by the responsiveness of the GUI.
    >>>
    >>> As for previous threads dealing with that issue, I've read a lot of
    >>> these on Nvidia's official forums :
    >>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

    >> Interesting...
    >>
    >> Are you using closed source nvidia drivers (possibly in beta) and
    >> judging the performance of the OS whilst doing it?
    >>
    >> First off. NVidia actually produce their windows drivers first and then
    >> produce a kinda version for linux *without* support. Unless you have it
    >> correctly configured, you will see issues.
    >>
    >> Post your xorg.conf file.
    >>
    >> Terminal
    >> $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    >>
    >> I'll show you how to get speed from the user interface.
    >>

    > Using the vesa driver since the Nvidia driver is A SHAME Here is my Xorg
    > file :

    Well, that is the crux of the problem. The vesa driver is a very generic
    one and is going to give rather lethargic performance - that has nothing
    to do with the "Linux GUI" - it has to do with using the proper driver to
    get decent performance.

  18. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    On 07/02/2008 01:32 AM Thophane scribbled:

    > Moog a écrit :
    >> Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Hey,
    >>>
    >>> First off, YES, I'm obviously trolling
    >>>
    >>> I have had that slow GUI feeling on both Gnome and KDE on several
    >>> Desktop and Laptop computers. Everytime I'm using a computer running
    >>> Windows I'm impressed by the responsiveness of the GUI.
    >>>
    >>> As for previous threads dealing with that issue, I've read a lot of
    >>> these on Nvidia's official forums :
    >>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

    >> Interesting...
    >>
    >> Are you using closed source nvidia drivers (possibly in beta) and
    >> judging the performance of the OS whilst doing it?
    >>
    >> First off. NVidia actually produce their windows drivers first and
    >> then produce a kinda version for linux *without* support. Unless you
    >> have it correctly configured, you will see issues.
    >>
    >> Post your xorg.conf file.
    >>
    >> Terminal
    >> $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    >>
    >> I'll show you how to get speed from the user interface.
    >>

    > Using the vesa driver since the Nvidia driver is A SHAME
    > Here is my Xorg file :

    using Nvidia driver here with no problems - actually needed it to get
    full function from card. ubuntu complained and warned but installed it
    with no issues - maybe just dumb luck...

  19. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    ray a écrit :
    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 10:32:38 +0200, Théophane wrote:
    >
    >> Moog a écrit :
    >>> Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Interesting...
    >>>
    >>> Are you using closed source nvidia drivers (possibly in beta) and
    >>> judging the performance of the OS whilst doing it?
    >>>
    >>> First off. NVidia actually produce their windows drivers first and then
    >>> produce a kinda version for linux *without* support. Unless you have it
    >>> correctly configured, you will see issues.
    >>>
    >>> Post your xorg.conf file.
    >>>
    >>> Terminal
    >>> $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    >>>
    >>> I'll show you how to get speed from the user interface.
    >>>

    >> Using the vesa driver since the Nvidia driver is A SHAME Here is my Xorg
    >> file :
    >>

    > Well, that is the crux of the problem. The vesa driver is a very generic
    > one and is going to give rather lethargic performance - that has nothing
    > to do with the "Linux GUI" - it has to do with using the proper driver to
    > get decent performance.

    Well, the latest nvidia driver gives me an approximate 0.7 seconds
    latency when I switch between tabs in Firefox. I've noticed that on my
    8400MGS (forcing powermizer doesn't make things better). Scrolling in
    Firefox is also messy. It is slow as hell and I get 100% CPU usage. I
    can also confirm that poor behaviour on my brother's desktop (Nvidia
    7600) and on my flatmate's laptop (Nvidia 7600GS).
    Now on the contrary, Vesa might not be the best driver, but it is way
    more fast.

  20. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    jrg a crit :
    > On 07/02/2008 01:32 AM Thophane scribbled:
    >
    >> Moog a écrit :
    >>> Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Interesting...
    >>>
    >>> Are you using closed source nvidia drivers (possibly in beta) and
    >>> judging the performance of the OS whilst doing it?
    >>>
    >>> First off. NVidia actually produce their windows drivers first and
    >>> then produce a kinda version for linux *without* support. Unless you
    >>> have it correctly configured, you will see issues.
    >>>
    >>> Post your xorg.conf file.
    >>>
    >>> Terminal
    >>> $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    >>>
    >>> I'll show you how to get speed from the user interface.
    >>>

    >> Using the vesa driver since the Nvidia driver is A SHAME
    >> Here is my Xorg file :

    > using Nvidia driver here with no problems - actually needed it to get
    > full function from card. ubuntu complained and warned but installed it
    > with no issues - maybe just dumb luck...

    Hey jrg, what's your graphic card ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast