That slow Linux GUI thing... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on That slow Linux GUI thing... - Ubuntu ; On 07/03/2008 01:30 AM Thťophane scribbled: >>>> >>> Using the vesa driver since the Nvidia driver is A SHAME >>> Here is my Xorg file : >> >> >> using Nvidia driver here with no problems - actually needed it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    On 07/03/2008 01:30 AM Thťophane scribbled:

    >>> Using the vesa driver since the Nvidia driver is A SHAME
    >>> Here is my Xorg file :

    >> using Nvidia driver here with no problems - actually needed it to get
    >> full function from card. ubuntu complained and warned but installed it
    >> with no issues - maybe just dumb luck...

    > Hey jrg, what's your graphic card ?

    oldie but goodie - Geforce4 MX 420 w/ TV - 64mg DDR

  2. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    On 2008-07-03, Théophane hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Well, the latest nvidia driver gives me an approximate 0.7 seconds
    > latency when I switch between tabs in Firefox. I've noticed that on my
    > 8400MGS (forcing powermizer doesn't make things better). Scrolling in
    > Firefox is also messy. It is slow as hell and I get 100% CPU usage. I
    > can also confirm that poor behaviour on my brother's desktop (Nvidia
    > 7600) and on my flatmate's laptop (Nvidia 7600GS).
    > Now on the contrary, Vesa might not be the best driver, but it is way
    > more fast.

    In this case please *COMPLAIN* to nvidia to write better drivers for
    their cards. Don't blame GNU/Linux for issues the hardware-peddlers
    if they provide "better" drivers for the *other* OS. From your
    Subject I gather that you are blaming Linux for the problem you're
    having.

    Have you also tried the "nv" driver?

    Mind you, I'm using a AGP nvidia card too, GForce 5500.

    [ 34.321822] agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0
    [ 34.321885] agpgart: Setting up Nforce3 AGP.
    [ 34.333368] agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xe0000000
    [ 80.656684] agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
    [ 80.656695] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
    [ 80.656711] agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode

    [ 53.824240] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  3. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    * Thťophane peremptorily fired off this memo:

    Bull****.

    --
    "There... I've run rings 'round you logically"
    -- Monty Python's Flying Circus

  4. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    OK. The thing that stands out for me is that you are using the vesa
    driver. You also have a load of 3d and 2d mudules loading. This
    implies that you have previously tried to install the NVidia beta
    drivers.

    If you want my opinion....

    Delete that xorg.conf file or reconfigure it.

    Reboot.

    Install the ubuntu packaged nvidia driver at
    System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

    You'll then get a much more stable Xorg that uses the driver
    specifically compiled for Ubuntu.

    Forget about any web tips on forums to get you an extra 0.99% of linear
    shading*. They only tend to get you into trouble.

    * I made that bit up - could you tell?

    --
    "I was with this girl the other night and from the way she was
    responding to my skillful caresses, you would have sworn that she was

  5. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Well, the latest nvidia driver gives me an approximate 0.7 seconds
    > latency when I switch between tabs in Firefox. I've noticed that on my
    > 8400MGS (forcing powermizer doesn't make things better). Scrolling in
    > Firefox is also messy. It is slow as hell and I get 100% CPU usage. I
    > can also confirm that poor behaviour on my brother's desktop (Nvidia
    > 7600) and on my flatmate's laptop (Nvidia 7600GS).
    > Now on the contrary, Vesa might not be the best driver, but it is way
    > more fast.

    Ditch the "latest" then and run with the one tested and implemeted to
    work specifically with Ubuntu instead of piddling around with beta
    "trialware".

    --
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I
    realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked

  6. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Linonut a ťcrit :
    > * Thťophane peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Well, the latest nvidia driver gives me an approximate 0.7 seconds
    >> latency when I switch between tabs in Firefox. I've noticed that on my
    >> 8400MGS (forcing powermizer doesn't make things better). Scrolling in
    >> Firefox is also messy. It is slow as hell and I get 100% CPU usage. I
    >> can also confirm that poor behaviour on my brother's desktop (Nvidia
    >> 7600) and on my flatmate's laptop (Nvidia 7600GS).
    >> Now on the contrary, Vesa might not be the best driver, but it is way
    >> more fast.

    > Bull****.

    I guess you just have no 8400MGS.
    This has been argued online a thousand times, weather you want it or
    not. Just google it and you'll see.

  7. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Moog a écrit :
    > Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    > OK. The thing that stands out for me is that you are using the vesa
    > driver. You also have a load of 3d and 2d mudules loading. This
    > implies that you have previously tried to install the NVidia beta
    > drivers.
    >
    > If you want my opinion....
    >
    > Delete that xorg.conf file or reconfigure it.
    >
    > Reboot.
    >
    > Install the ubuntu packaged nvidia driver at
    > System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers
    >
    > You'll then get a much more stable Xorg that uses the driver
    > specifically compiled for Ubuntu.
    >
    > Forget about any web tips on forums to get you an extra 0.99% of linear
    > shading*. They only tend to get you into trouble.
    >
    > * I made that bit up - could you tell?

    I tried the Nvidia beta driver just to see if I could get better
    performances than the driver Ubuntu ships with (the one in the repos).
    And it obviously didn't get any better. The official Ubuntu packages
    have the same crappy performances.
    I repeat this only stands for the 8400MGS 256MB card. We are a couple of
    hundred people to face this issue, so I guess I'm not the idiot of the
    village.

  8. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    * Thťophane wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Linonut a ťcrit :
    >> * Thťophane peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Well, the latest nvidia driver gives me an approximate 0.7 seconds
    >>> latency when I switch between tabs in Firefox. I've noticed that on my
    >>> 8400MGS (forcing powermizer doesn't make things better). Scrolling in
    >>> Firefox is also messy. It is slow as hell and I get 100% CPU usage. I
    >>> can also confirm that poor behaviour on my brother's desktop (Nvidia
    >>> 7600) and on my flatmate's laptop (Nvidia 7600GS).
    >>> Now on the contrary, Vesa might not be the best driver, but it is way
    >>> more fast.

    >> Bull****.

    > I guess you just have no 8400MGS.
    > This has been argued online a thousand times, weather you want it or
    > not. Just google it and you'll see.

    I have an 8400GS. I am running Ubuntu Hardy and dual booting WinXP SP3.
    I have all the little graphic niceties of compiz turned under Gnome and
    without a doubt, the Ubuntu side of the machine is noticeably faster. I
    took the recommended nvidia drivers, no beta in use.

    --
    David

  9. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog a écrit :
    >> Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >> OK. The thing that stands out for me is that you are using the vesa
    >> driver. You also have a load of 3d and 2d mudules loading. This
    >> implies that you have previously tried to install the NVidia beta
    >> drivers.
    >>
    >> If you want my opinion....
    >>
    >> Delete that xorg.conf file or reconfigure it.
    >>
    >> Reboot.
    >>
    >> Install the ubuntu packaged nvidia driver at
    >> System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers
    >>
    >> You'll then get a much more stable Xorg that uses the driver
    >> specifically compiled for Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Forget about any web tips on forums to get you an extra 0.99% of linear
    >> shading*. They only tend to get you into trouble.
    >>
    >> * I made that bit up - could you tell?
    >>

    > I tried the Nvidia beta driver just to see if I could get better
    > performances than the driver Ubuntu ships with (the one in the repos).
    > And it obviously didn't get any better. The official Ubuntu packages
    > have the same crappy performances.
    > I repeat this only stands for the 8400MGS 256MB card. We are a couple of
    > hundred people to face this issue, so I guess I'm not the idiot of the
    > village.

    Yes. I've read those. To a man, they are being told to reconfigure
    their xorg and install via the hardware drivers section. The majority
    are saying to works.

    You won't know until you try it.

    I repeat.

    backup your xorg.conf file. Delete, let Xorg coonfigure again. Enable
    the nvidia driver in the hardware drivers entry. Then change your
    secreen resolution.

    The outcome will be that you xorg.conf file isn't a mess and you're
    using the driver intended for the distribution.

    --
    "I was with this girl the other night and from the way she was
    responding to my skillful caresses, you would have sworn that she was
    conscious from the top of her head to the tag on her toes." ~ Emo
    Philips

  10. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Moog a écrit :
    > Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog a écrit :
    >>> Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>

    >>> OK. The thing that stands out for me is that you are using the vesa
    >>> driver. You also have a load of 3d and 2d mudules loading. This
    >>> implies that you have previously tried to install the NVidia beta
    >>> drivers.
    >>>
    >>> If you want my opinion....
    >>>
    >>> Delete that xorg.conf file or reconfigure it.
    >>>
    >>> Reboot.
    >>>
    >>> Install the ubuntu packaged nvidia driver at
    >>> System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers
    >>>
    >>> You'll then get a much more stable Xorg that uses the driver
    >>> specifically compiled for Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> Forget about any web tips on forums to get you an extra 0.99% of linear
    >>> shading*. They only tend to get you into trouble.
    >>>
    >>> * I made that bit up - could you tell?
    >>>

    >> I tried the Nvidia beta driver just to see if I could get better
    >> performances than the driver Ubuntu ships with (the one in the repos).
    >> And it obviously didn't get any better. The official Ubuntu packages
    >> have the same crappy performances.
    >> I repeat this only stands for the 8400MGS 256MB card. We are a couple of
    >> hundred people to face this issue, so I guess I'm not the idiot of the
    >> village.

    > Yes. I've read those. To a man, they are being told to reconfigure
    > their xorg and install via the hardware drivers section. The majority
    > are saying to works.
    >
    > You won't know until you try it.
    >
    > I repeat.
    >
    > backup your xorg.conf file. Delete, let Xorg coonfigure again. Enable
    > the nvidia driver in the hardware drivers entry. Then change your
    > secreen resolution.
    >
    > The outcome will be that you xorg.conf file isn't a mess and you're
    > using the driver intended for the distribution.

    Did all that and had insanely lame performances. Now I'm back with vesa
    which is way faster.

    Anyways, forget it, I guess the only way to get rid of this is buying
    another laptop making sure there is no nvidia graphic card on it.

    Bellow a couple of threads related to that 8400M GS issue :

    http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=8379

  11. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Did all that and had insanely lame performances. Now I'm back with vesa
    > which is way faster.

    Did you remove all tghe modules and driver settings you had in your
    xorg.conf? There seems to be far too much going on in the one you
    posted.

    > Anyways, forget it, I guess the only way to get rid of this is buying
    > another laptop making sure there is no nvidia graphic card on it.

    Actually, I get superb performance out of my 9500M GS.

    > Bellow a couple of threads related to that 8400M GS issue :
    >
    > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101161
    > http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=8379
    > http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=50214

    These links all seem to be pre-hardy.
    I take it you've disabled "powermmizer" as suggested in a number of
    those threads?

    --
    "You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They
    left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine.' So that

  12. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    Moog a écrit :
    > Théophane illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Did all that and had insanely lame performances. Now I'm back with vesa
    >> which is way faster.

    > Did you remove all tghe modules and driver settings you had in your
    > xorg.conf? There seems to be far too much going on in the one you
    > posted.

    Yes, I've got a brand new clean xorg file

    >> Anyways, forget it, I guess the only way to get rid of this is buying
    >> another laptop making sure there is no nvidia graphic card on it.

    > Actually, I get superb performance out of my 9500M GS.
    >
    >> Bellow a couple of threads related to that 8400M GS issue :
    >>
    >> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101161
    >> http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=8379
    >> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=50214

    > These links all seem to be pre-hardy.
    > I take it you've disabled "powermmizer" as suggested in a number of
    > those threads?

    Indeed, and I still have terrible performances.

  13. Re: That slow Linux GUI thing...

    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=555844
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=587207
    >>> http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=8379
    >>> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=50214

    >> These links all seem to be pre-hardy.
    >> I take it you've disabled "powermmizer" as suggested in a number of
    >> those threads?

    > Indeed, and I still have terrible performances.

    Hmmm. Without being in front of the machine, I'm afraid I can offer
    little more by way of help.

    --
    People always ask me, "Where were you when Kennedy was shot?" Well, I
    don't have an alibi." ~ Emo Philips

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2