modifying system file? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on modifying system file? - Ubuntu ; Alan Illeman wrote thus: > file: /boot/grub/men.lst > line: kernal .... wish to add "acpi=off noacpi" > > to prevent 'ACPI unable to locate RSDP' at boot > > but.. system complains that I don't have permission > to modify ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

  1. Re: modifying system file?

    Alan Illeman wrote thus:
    > file: /boot/grub/men.lst
    > line: kernal .... wish to add "acpi=off noacpi"
    >
    > to prevent 'ACPI unable to locate RSDP' at boot
    >
    > but.. system complains that I don't have permission
    > to modify this file. How do I get this permission?

    sudo gedit or sudo kate then open menu.lst modify, save and close

    --
    Steve

    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it
    holds the universe together....
    - Carl Zwanzig

  2. Re: modifying system file?

    Alan Illeman wrote:

    > file: /boot/grub/men.lst
    > line: kernal .... wish to add "acpi=off noacpi"
    >
    > to prevent 'ACPI unable to locate RSDP' at boot
    >
    > but.. system complains that I don't have permission
    > to modify this file. How do I get this permission?

    Make a backup first.

    sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

    Your Windows clock appears to be an hour in the future.

    --
    -bts

  3. Re: modifying system file?

    Alan Illeman wrote:

    > It's now 10AM (EST)
    >
    >> --
    >> -bts
    >> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    And yet...your driving it !

  4. modifying system file?

    file: /boot/grub/men.lst
    line: kernal .... wish to add "acpi=off noacpi"

    to prevent 'ACPI unable to locate RSDP' at boot

    but.. system complains that I don't have permission
    to modify this file. How do I get this permission?

    tia
    Alan

  5. Re: modifying system file?

    Hobbes wrote:
    >>> --
    >>> -bts
    >>> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    > And yet...your driving it !

    With your infinite experience with Linux/Ubuntu, I'd be sure that you
    have heard of Wine. 40tude Dialog is an excellent newsreader.

    Check this header.

    --
    -bts

  6. Re: modifying system file?

    Alan Illeman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote in message news:g483do$6bm$1@registered.motzarella.org...
    >> Alan Illeman wrote:
    >>
    >> > file: /boot/grub/men.lst
    >> > line: kernal .... wish to add "acpi=off noacpi"
    >> >
    >> > to prevent 'ACPI unable to locate RSDP' at boot
    >> >
    >> > but.. system complains that I don't have permission
    >> > to modify this file. How do I get this permission?

    >> Make a backup first.
    >>
    >> sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup
    >> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

    > Thanks (you too Steve).
    >
    > Is there a tutorial somewhere for commands? (I used to be a
    > DOS & C programmer years ago).

    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...ode/index.html

    It's fairly heavy reading but contains everything you'll ever need.

    > Is "sudo" supervisor-do ?

    Super-user

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    The page above describes the reasoning regarding sudo use. It's a
    great piece of frontline security, IMHO.

    --
    "Well, my brother says Hello. So, hooray for speech therapy." ~ Emo
    Philips

  7. Re: modifying system file?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:

    >> And yet...your driving it !

    > With your infinite experience with Linux/Ubuntu, I'd be sure that you
    > have heard of Wine. 40tude Dialog is an excellent newsreader.
    >
    > Check this header.

    Or this one...

    --
    -bts

  8. Re: modifying system file?

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:02:01 -0500, Alan Illeman wrote:

    > Is there a tutorial somewhere for commands?

    Let's see,
    $ locate bin/ | wc -l
    4409

    With over 4,000 programs installed on my linux distribution.
    That would be some tutorial.

    You might want to try the command
    man man

    then some examples like
    man -k owner
    man -k permission
    man -k \(

    Some light reading found here for scripting.
    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

    For a small command list by function, there is
    http://www.linuxcommand.org/superman_pages.php

    You might want to bookmark, http://groups.google.com/advanced_search

    Using tutorial for commands in the first box
    and asterisk linux asterisk in the group box we find.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 43,300 for tutorial for commands
    group:*linux*

  9. Re: modifying system file?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >> And yet...your driving it !

    > With your infinite experience with Linux/Ubuntu, I'd be sure that you
    > have heard of Wine. 40tude Dialog is an excellent newsreader.
    >
    > Check this header.

    Wow !
    a Linux user that likes Outlook Express...
    who'd of thunk it ?

  10. Re: modifying system file?

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote in message news:g483do$6bm$1@registered.motzarella.org...
    > Alan Illeman wrote:
    >
    > > file: /boot/grub/men.lst
    > > line: kernal .... wish to add "acpi=off noacpi"
    > >
    > > to prevent 'ACPI unable to locate RSDP' at boot
    > >
    > > but.. system complains that I don't have permission
    > > to modify this file. How do I get this permission?

    > Make a backup first.
    >
    > sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup
    > sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

    Thanks (you too Steve).

    Is there a tutorial somewhere for commands? (I used to be a
    DOS & C programmer years ago). Is "sudo" supervisor-do ?

    > Your Windows clock appears to be an hour in the future.

    It's now 10AM (EST)

    > --
    > -bts
    > -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

  11. Re: modifying system file?

    Hobbes wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>>
    >>> And yet...your driving it !

    >> With your infinite experience with Linux/Ubuntu, I'd be sure that you
    >> have heard of Wine. 40tude Dialog is an excellent newsreader.
    >>
    >> Check this header.

    > Wow !
    > a Linux user that likes Outlook Express...
    > who'd of thunk it ?

    You're backpeddling...

    ...or did you mean your copy of:

    ...but I hope you weren't implying that 40tude Dialog is anything like
    Outhouse Distress, because is sure ain't.

    --
    -bts

  12. Re: modifying system file?

    On 2008-06-29, Moog wrote:
    > Alan Illeman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Make a backup first.
    >>>
    >>> sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup
    >>> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

    >> Thanks (you too Steve).
    >>
    >> Is there a tutorial somewhere for commands? (I used to be a
    >> DOS & C programmer years ago).

    > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...ode/index.html
    >
    > It's fairly heavy reading but contains everything you'll ever need.
    >
    >> Is "sudo" supervisor-do ?

    > Super-user

    Actually, switch user. It defaults to root if nothing else is
    specified, but will allow you to switch to any user on the system,
    which is quite useful when users call saying that they can't access
    whatever file... You can su joe - , and have access to everything
    just like joe sees it.

    I know that man says super user these days, but it used to be reported
    as switch user... ;-)

    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    > The page above describes the reasoning regarding sudo use. It's a
    > great piece of frontline security, IMHO.

    Yup...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  13. Re: modifying system file?

    > Hobbes wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> With your infinite experience with Linux/Ubuntu, I'd be sure that you
    >>> have heard of Wine. 40tude Dialog is an excellent newsreader.
    >>>
    >>> Check this header.

    >> Wow !
    >> a Linux user that likes Outlook Express...
    >> who'd of thunk it ?

    > You're backpeddling...
    >
    > ..or did you mean your copy of:
    >
    > ..but I hope you weren't implying that 40tude Dialog is anything like
    > Outhouse Distress, because is sure ain't.
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    No...I was using Thunderbird within ubuntu...a craptacular combination of
    unusability.
    I should have noticed it was Alan Illeman that was using OE.
    I see my error now that I am viewing this thread from WinMail.
    My mistake.

  14. Re: modifying system file?

    "Hobbes" wrote in news:g48is8$eka$1@aioe.org:

    > No...I was using Thunderbird within ubuntu...a craptacular combination
    > of unusability.

    Thunderbird sucks for Usenet under any OS.

  15. Re: modifying system file?

    "DanS" wrote in message
    news:Xns9ACC8F9056275thisnthatadelphianet@85.214.9 0.236...
    > "Hobbes" wrote in news:g48is8$eka$1@aioe.org:
    >
    >> No...I was using Thunderbird within ubuntu...a craptacular combination
    >> of unusability.

    > Thunderbird sucks for Usenet under any OS.

    Yeah ... I didn't like Pan either.
    I hit on one someday

  16. Re: modifying system file?

    Hobbes wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Hobbes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wow !
    >>> a Linux user that likes Outlook Express...
    >>> who'd of thunk it ?

    >> ..but I hope you weren't implying that 40tude Dialog is anything like
    >> Outhouse Distress, because is sure ain't.
    >>

    > No...I was using Thunderbird within ubuntu...a craptacular combination
    > of unusability.

    Well, it is better than OE .. by about this much: |<-->|

    > I should have noticed it was Alan Illeman that was using OE. I see my
    > error now that I am viewing this thread from WinMail.

    > My mistake.

    Apology accepted. ;-)

    From other post:
    > Yeah ... I didn't like Pan either.
    > I hit on one someday

    Pan is ok; better than Tbird by about this much:
    |<------------------------------------->|

    Hey, next time you are using Ubuntu, consider setting up Dialog in Wine.
    There are tons of options, to personalize your experience. Install the
    msttcorefonts first, if you haven't already.

    --
    -bts

  17. Re: modifying system file?

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:26:59 -0400, Hobbes wrote:

    >> Thunderbird sucks for Usenet under any OS.

    > Yeah ... I didn't like Pan either.
    > I hit on one someday

    Bugger off, Win-droid. Vista, no less! LOL. Wanker.

  18. Re: modifying system file?

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:26:59 -0400, Hobbes wrote:
    >
    >>> Thunderbird sucks for Usenet under any OS.

    >> Yeah ... I didn't like Pan either.
    >> I hit on one someday

    > Bugger off, Win-droid. Vista, no less! LOL. Wanker.

    Windroid ?
    you make that word up ?
    I'm also a Chevydroid.
    And a Lindroid.
    I'll use just about anything !

    Clothe diapers giving you a rash ?
    Try > http://www.prima.com.tr/tr_TR/home.php

  19. Re: modifying system file?

    Moog wrote:
    >> Is "sudo" supervisor-do ?
    >>

    > Super-user

    Switch User DO {this-and-that}.

    Without an optional username (sudo -u someuser command), it defaults to
    you, the logged-in user (whoami), as the user, who is normally in the
    adm group, or has root privileges in the /etc/sudoers file.

    The same as su (Switch User), which is not "Super User."

    I have a suspicion this will need to be reposted every month or so as
    another FAQ. ;-)

    --
    John

  20. Re: modifying system file?

    Hobbes wrote:
    > Alan Illeman wrote:
    >

    >> It's now 10AM (EST)
    >>
    >>> --
    >>> -bts
    >>> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

    > And yet...your driving it !

    N00b!

    --
    John