Question about proxies - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Question about proxies - Ubuntu ; I did a google search on "surfing anonymously" and came across a page which told me to add the following line as a proxy entry http://rosinstrument.com/cgi-bin/proxy.pac I did so and all the checks I did from there on show the ...

  1. Question about proxies

    I did a google search on "surfing anonymously" and came across a page
    which told me to add the following line as a proxy entry

    http://rosinstrument.com/cgi-bin/proxy.pac

    I did so and all the checks I did from there on show the desired
    result (my IP is masked). So I then did a google search for

    "slrn posting anonymously" and was greeted with a page that
    told me it was not going to complete my search because my search
    criteria was simliar to a request for viruses and trojans.

    I am assuming that the proxy server I am going through is
    responsible for this, but what I want to know is, is there
    a way to set up a proxy server outside of Firefox on my own
    machine so that I can redirect requests out through it
    for all internet access?

    Is Squid a good choice for this or are there better ones available?

    thanks

    --
    I am the Cranky Geek Wannabe. Dvorak didn't answer me so I went ahead
    and made myself the Cranky Geek Wannabe. I claim no offiliation with

  2. Re: Question about proxies

    Crankygeek Wannabe wrote:
    > I did a google search on "surfing anonymously" and came across a page
    > which told me to add the following line as a proxy entry
    >
    > http://rosinstrument.com/cgi-bin/proxy.pac

    There are advantages and disadvantages to using a proxy server for web
    surfing. Some people who choose a web proxy for anonymity choose bad
    proxy servers. The site you show is about 'Free Public Proxy Servers
    Lists' which includes the good the bad and the ugly.

    > I did so and all the checks I did from there on show the desired
    > result (my IP is masked).

    .... if you trust your web proxy more than you trust the website server.
    That is not uniformly a good idea.

    > "slrn posting anonymously" and was greeted with a page that
    > told me it was not going to complete my search because my search
    > criteria was simliar to a request for viruses and trojans.

    The business of avoiding posting an NPH nntppostinghost line in your
    headers of your newsgroup posts to this group can be accomplished by using
    a newsprovider that doesn't stamp the line. There are free and pay
    newsservers which don't stamp NPH -- most do not.

    Your aliant provider gives you the name of a newsserver news.aliant.net,
    but that news is outsourced to newshosting. That is news.aliant.net =
    cname aliant.svc.highwinds-media.com which = 66.250.146.207 no rDNS which
    is a newshosting IP

    If I try to access the news.aliant.net newsserver from my IP, it doesn't
    want me to engage; which is a common practice with providers not letting
    foreign IPs have access to login to the server.

    Some decisions that people make about using proxies is counterproductive.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Question about proxies

    On 2008-06-29, Crankygeek Wannabe wrote:
    > I did a google search on "surfing anonymously" and came across a page
    > which told me to add the following line as a proxy entry
    >
    > http://rosinstrument.com/cgi-bin/proxy.pac
    >
    > I did so and all the checks I did from there on show the desired
    > result (my IP is masked). So I then did a google search for
    >
    > "slrn posting anonymously" and was greeted with a page that
    > told me it was not going to complete my search because my search
    > criteria was simliar to a request for viruses and trojans.
    >
    > I am assuming that the proxy server I am going through is
    > responsible for this, but what I want to know is, is there
    > a way to set up a proxy server outside of Firefox on my own
    > machine so that I can redirect requests out through it
    > for all internet access?
    >
    > Is Squid a good choice for this or are there better ones available?
    >
    > thanks

    Squid is my favorite, and is very flexible (caching proxy). There are
    others out there, though...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread