Installing Ubuntu inside windows - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Installing Ubuntu inside windows - Ubuntu ; I see the option is available to install, and uninstall, Ubuntu from "inside" windows without the need for a dedicated HD partition. Is there a downside to trying Ubuntu this way first? For instance, how easy is it to uninstall ...

  1. Installing Ubuntu inside windows

    I see the option is available to install, and uninstall, Ubuntu from
    "inside" windows without the need for a dedicated HD partition.

    Is there a downside to trying Ubuntu this way first? For instance, how
    easy is it to uninstall it from windows XP. Have there been any
    reported issues doing it this way?

    Also, what are the space requirements for doing it this way, as oppopsed
    to the "normal" HD partioning which requires at least 4 GB.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Installing Ubuntu inside windows

    Suzie wrote:
    > I see the option is available to install, and uninstall, Ubuntu from
    > "inside" windows without the need for a dedicated HD partition.
    >
    > Is there a downside to trying Ubuntu this way first? For instance, how
    > easy is it to uninstall it from windows XP. Have there been any
    > reported issues doing it this way?
    >
    > Also, what are the space requirements for doing it this way, as oppopsed
    > to the "normal" HD partioning which requires at least 4 GB.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I used the installer for a test run of ubuntu. Installed, used ubuntu
    for a while, uninstalled. It worked fine (for me, anyway) through the
    whole cycle. From the wubi site:
    http://wubi-installer.org/
    Requirements
    Memory 256 MB memory
    Harddisk Space 5 GB harddisk space
    Operating System Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista
    Others may chime in with more info.

    --
    norm

  3. Re: Installing Ubuntu inside windows

    norm wrote:
    > Suzie wrote:
    >> I see the option is available to install, and uninstall, Ubuntu from
    >> "inside" windows without the need for a dedicated HD partition.
    >>
    >> Is there a downside to trying Ubuntu this way first? For instance, how
    >> easy is it to uninstall it from windows XP. Have there been any
    >> reported issues doing it this way?
    >>
    >> Also, what are the space requirements for doing it this way, as
    >> oppopsed to the "normal" HD partioning which requires at least 4 GB.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > I used the installer for a test run of ubuntu. Installed, used ubuntu
    > for a while, uninstalled. It worked fine (for me, anyway) through the
    > whole cycle. From the wubi site:
    > http://wubi-installer.org/
    > Requirements
    > Memory 256 MB memory
    > Harddisk Space 5 GB harddisk space
    > Operating System Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista
    > Others may chime in with more info.

    I noticed that Ubuntu responds a lot slower than on it's own partition.
    I believe NTFS is slower than ext3, and FAT certainly is, but the
    majority of the slowdown seemed to come from ntfs3g, which is obviously
    essential for normal operation.

    Separate partition is always going to be better if you decide to keep
    Ubuntu on your system.

+ Reply to Thread