CTRL-C CTRL-V - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on CTRL-C CTRL-V - Ubuntu ; Hi guys, I'm new to Ubuntu, I'm loving it and all, but is there a way to bind CTRL-C/CTRL-V to have copy/paste behaviour consistently throughout? Cheers Giuseppe...

  1. CTRL-C CTRL-V

    Hi guys, I'm new to Ubuntu, I'm loving it and all, but is there a way to
    bind CTRL-C/CTRL-V to have copy/paste behaviour consistently throughout?

    Cheers
    Giuseppe

  2. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    Giuseppe:G: wrote:
    > Hi guys, I'm new to Ubuntu, I'm loving it and all, but is there a way to
    > bind CTRL-C/CTRL-V to have copy/paste behaviour consistently throughout?

    Graphical terminal or virtual console?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.9

  3. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    > Giuseppe:G: wrote:
    >> Hi guys, I'm new to Ubuntu, I'm loving it and all, but is there a way to
    >> bind CTRL-C/CTRL-V to have copy/paste behaviour consistently throughout?

    > Graphical terminal or virtual console?

    Terminal 2.22.1

  4. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:01:43 +0100, Giuseppe:G: wrote:

    > Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >> Giuseppe:G: wrote:
    >>> Hi guys, I'm new to Ubuntu, I'm loving it and all, but is there a way
    >>> to bind CTRL-C/CTRL-V to have copy/paste behaviour consistently
    >>> throughout?

    >> Graphical terminal or virtual console?
    >>

    > Terminal 2.22.1

    I have to use Edit > Paste with my pointing device to paste text into
    Terminal.

  5. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    Dave wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:01:43 +0100, Giuseppe:G: wrote:
    >> Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Graphical terminal or virtual console?
    >>>

    >> Terminal 2.22.1

    > I have to use Edit > Paste with my pointing device to paste text into
    > Terminal.

    When in the terminal window, use Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V.

    So, to paste from somewhere else's Ctrl-C, use Ctrl-Shift-V in the
    terminal.

    Or, if you don't like the default behaviour, go to terminal's
    Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts...
    and change them to Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V
    but I suspect someone had a reason for the addition of Shift, eh?

    --
    -bts

  6. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:31:00 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Dave wrote:

    >>> Terminal 2.22.1

    >> I have to use Edit > Paste with my pointing device to paste text into
    >> Terminal.

    > When in the terminal window, use Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V.
    >
    > So, to paste from somewhere else's Ctrl-C, use Ctrl-Shift-V in the
    > terminal.
    >
    > Or, if you don't like the default behaviour, go to terminal's Edit >
    > Keyboard Shortcuts...
    > and change them to Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V
    > but I suspect someone had a reason for the addition of Shift, eh?

    That reason is, Ctrl+C is assigned to cancel current task running in the
    console. So you better set something other than it.

  7. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    Atilla Filiz wrote:

    >> Or, if you don't like the default behaviour, go to terminal's
    >> Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts...
    >> and change them to Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V
    >> but I suspect someone had a reason for the addition of Shift, eh?

    > That reason is, Ctrl+C is assigned to cancel current task running in
    > the console. So you better set something other than it.

    Yep, I forgot what it was. :-) I have no problem remembering to
    include the Shift when using the terminal.

    --
    -bts

  8. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    On 2008-06-28, Atilla Filiz wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:31:00 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Dave wrote:

    >>> I have to use Edit > Paste with my pointing device to paste text into
    >>> Terminal.

    >> When in the terminal window, use Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V.
    >>
    >> So, to paste from somewhere else's Ctrl-C, use Ctrl-Shift-V in the
    >> terminal.
    >>
    >> Or, if you don't like the default behaviour, go to terminal's Edit >
    >> Keyboard Shortcuts...
    >> and change them to Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V
    >> but I suspect someone had a reason for the addition of Shift, eh?

    > That reason is, Ctrl+C is assigned to cancel current task running in the
    > console. So you better set something other than it.

    Or change your keyboard interrupt character to something else - e.g.:

    stty intr

    --

  9. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    Op Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:41:42 +0100, schreef Giuseppe:G::

    > Hi guys, I'm new to Ubuntu, I'm loving it and all, but is there a way to
    > bind CTRL-C/CTRL-V to have copy/paste behaviour consistently
    > throughout?

    Mark with you're mouse. Middle mouse click for copy and... middle mouse
    click again for paste. Works within terminal as in gui.

    --
    /Jos

    Linux op mijn desktop - http://www.digiplace.nl

  10. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    Jos Herni wrote:

    > Mark with you're mouse. Middle mouse click for copy and... middle mouse
    > click again for paste. Works within terminal as in gui.

    Cook thanks!

    Giuseppe

  11. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    Jos Herni wrote:
    > Op Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:41:42 +0100, schreef Giuseppe:G::
    >
    >> Hi guys, I'm new to Ubuntu, I'm loving it and all, but is there a way to
    >> bind CTRL-C/CTRL-V to have copy/paste behaviour consistently
    >> throughout?

    > Mark with you're mouse. Middle mouse click for copy and... middle mouse
    > click again for paste. Works within terminal as in gui.

    ehm...cool

  12. Re: CTRL-C CTRL-V

    in a terminal the cpoy and paste commands are:

    copy, CTRL+Insert
    paste SHIFT+Insert

    hope that helps as both ^c and ^v mean somthing else to a unix shell
    das

    Giuseppe:G: wrote:
    > Hi guys, I'm new to Ubuntu, I'm loving it and all, but is there a way to
    > bind CTRL-C/CTRL-V to have copy/paste behaviour consistently throughout?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Giuseppe

+ Reply to Thread