Disk activity with Kubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Disk activity with Kubuntu - Ubuntu ; Is there any reason why my disk activity light has started constantly flickering, and the disk constantly ticking away as it's accessed? This only happens when I am runnning Linux, Windows XP only shows disk activity like this when I ...

  1. Disk activity with Kubuntu

    Is there any reason why my disk activity light has started constantly
    flickering, and the disk constantly ticking away as it's accessed? This only
    happens when I am runnning Linux, Windows XP only shows disk activity like this
    when I am doing a defrag.

  2. Re: Disk activity with Kubuntu

    Steve wrote:

    > Is there any reason why my disk activity light has started constantly
    > flickering, and the disk constantly ticking away as it's accessed? This
    > only happens when I am runnning Linux, Windows XP only shows disk activity
    > like this when I am doing a defrag.

    Just run "top". Suppose it's some indexer (desktop search daemon) like
    beagled.
    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  3. Re: Disk activity with Kubuntu

    Steve wrote:

    > Is there any reason why my disk activity light has started constantly
    > flickering, and the disk constantly ticking away as it's accessed?
    > This only happens when I am runnning Linux, Windows XP only shows disk
    > activity like this when I am doing a defrag.

    There are several reasons for a longer period of disk-activity:
    - apt looks, what is installed and checks, wether you can update
    something.
    - locate rebuilds its database. If you're using mlocate, it usually
    won't take long, if you didn't update your system recently.
    - Mail-delivery runs.
    - The popularity-contest-script is running and lookt, what you have
    installed. (This is turned off by default.)

    Or maybe something I forgot.

    Greetings
    Andreas

+ Reply to Thread