system tray terminology - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on system tray terminology - Ubuntu ; In Vista, there is a bar across the bottom of the screen. It contains tiny icons. The ones on the left are frequently used but currently unrunning programs. The ones in the middle represent running programs. The ones on the ...

  1. system tray terminology

    In Vista, there is a bar across the bottom of the screen. It contains
    tiny icons. The ones on the left are frequently used but currently
    unrunning programs.

    The ones in the middle represent running programs.

    The ones on the right represent system tasks, e.g.
    screen/keyboard/mouse/volume controls.

    Are there equivalents in Ubuntu Linux?

    What are they called there?

    I have heard the terms "system tray" "task bar" "notification area".
    What precisely do each of these terms refer to?

    I am interested both in official terminology and common use.

    I ask because I maintain the Java glossary for Java programmers who
    try to write code that runs everywhere.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

  2. Re: system tray terminology

    * Roedy Green wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > In Vista, there is a bar across the bottom of the screen. It contains
    > tiny icons. The ones on the left are frequently used but currently
    > unrunning programs.
    >
    > The ones in the middle represent running programs.
    >
    > The ones on the right represent system tasks, e.g.
    > screen/keyboard/mouse/volume controls.
    >
    > Are there equivalents in Ubuntu Linux?
    >
    > What are they called there?
    >
    > I have heard the terms "system tray" "task bar" "notification area".
    > What precisely do each of these terms refer to?

    System tray hold icons on the right that represent background processes,
    same as XP (sorry, I dont run Vista) And is called the same thing in both
    OS's.

    Task bar is also the same in XP and Gnome (default DE in Ubuntu) In
    Ubuntu the running tasks are located on a 'Panel' referred to as the
    well.. Panel or Task Bar, and the notification area is an area that shows
    sytem notifications, typically that there are updates available or a
    system reboot is required.

    --
    David

  3. Re: system tray terminology

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > In Vista, there is a bar across the bottom of the screen. It contains
    > tiny icons. The ones on the left are frequently used but currently
    > unrunning programs.
    >
    > The ones in the middle represent running programs.
    >
    > The ones on the right represent system tasks, e.g.
    > screen/keyboard/mouse/volume controls.
    >
    > Are there equivalents in Ubuntu Linux?
    >
    > What are they called there?
    >
    > I have heard the terms "system tray" "task bar" "notification area".
    > What precisely do each of these terms refer to?
    >
    > I am interested both in official terminology and common use.
    >
    > I ask because I maintain the Java glossary for Java programmers who
    > try to write code that runs everywhere.

    In Ubuntu, using GNOME, and many other GNU/Linux distros, it is called
    the Panel.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Panel

    --
    John