user ubuntu will login in x seconds - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on user ubuntu will login in x seconds - Ubuntu ; Hi I got a CD image from here http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatI...desktopedition I did all the crap to make the CD, rebooted and then I get a f*cking login screen. There is no mention anywhere of what the login is in the instalation ...

  1. user ubuntu will login in x seconds

    Hi I got a CD image from here
    http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatI...desktopedition
    I did all the crap to make the CD, rebooted and then
    I get a f*cking login screen.

    There is no mention anywhere of what the login is in the
    instalation 'notes' if you can call them that. I am lost.

    I have googled the error and came up with stuff like this, but
    it does not appear to have a solution except stuff like this

    I have a AMD machine, it should be 64 bit.

    I am going to try tthe intel version which should work too.

    I can't get to the forum because I have not recieved a confirmation
    email.

    I feel really pissed off.

    OK I found the coonfirmation email in the spam folder (how appropiate).

    But can anyone help me?

    I feel really pissed off the whole thing seems like a sick joke.

    Remember I have never used ubuntu before.

    Anyhow I can't get past the login.

    There was something like "maybe" its a bug!!
    OR it somoething to do with my graphics card!! WTF!!

    To be honest it seems like the whole thing is a pile of sh*t.

    Am I right?

  2. Re: user ubuntu will login in x seconds

    On 2008-06-27, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > Hi I got a CD image from here
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatI...desktopedition
    > I did all the crap to make the CD, rebooted and then
    > I get a f*cking login screen.

    You did not.

    > There is no mention anywhere of what the login is in the
    > instalation 'notes' if you can call them that. I am lost.

    There is no login for the live CD.

    > I have googled the error and came up with stuff like this, but
    > it does not appear to have a solution except stuff like this

    Nice use of the engrish language...

    > I have a AMD machine, it should be 64 bit.

    Do you know?

    > I am going to try tthe intel version which should work too.
    >
    > I can't get to the forum because I have not recieved a confirmation
    > email.
    >
    > I feel really pissed off.

    Life sucks...

    > OK I found the coonfirmation email in the spam folder (how appropiate).

    Ahhh, I see where this is going...

    > But can anyone help me?

    Have you tried a psychiatrist?

    > I feel really pissed off the whole thing seems like a sick joke.

    Like your love life?

    > Remember I have never used ubuntu before.

    Obviously...

    > Anyhow I can't get past the login.

    Try packaging up the computer and sending it back to where you got
    it...

    > There was something like "maybe" its a bug!!
    > OR it somoething to do with my graphics card!! WTF!!

    Indeed...

    > To be honest it seems like the whole thing is a pile of sh*t.
    >
    > Am I right?

    Piss poor troll attempt, but throw another bum on the killfile...

    Stick with Windows. This is clearly over your head...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: user ubuntu will login in x seconds

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > Hi I got a CD image from here
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatI...desktopedition I did all
    > the crap to make the CD, rebooted and then I get a f*cking login
    > screen.
    >
    > There is no mention anywhere of what the login is in the instalation
    > 'notes' if you can call them that. I am lost.

    Did you RTFM?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...d64/index.html

    > I have googled the error and came up with stuff like this, but it
    > does not appear to have a solution except stuff like this

    > I have a AMD machine, it should be 64 bit.

    Given not all AMD processors are 64 bit, it may pay you to be sure about
    that.

    > I am going to try tthe intel version which should work too.
    >
    > I can't get to the forum because I have not recieved a confirmation
    > email.
    >
    > I feel really pissed off.
    >
    > OK I found the coonfirmation email in the spam folder (how
    > appropiate).
    >
    > But can anyone help me?
    >
    > I feel really pissed off the whole thing seems like a sick joke.
    >
    > Remember I have never used ubuntu before.
    >
    > Anyhow I can't get past the login.
    >
    > There was something like "maybe" its a bug!! OR it somoething to do
    > with my graphics card!! WTF!!

    Seems you chose the alternate CD. I believe anyone capable of using a
    computer could get past the login screen after installing from the Live
    CD after even a very brief trial period.

    I did have difficulty with a Canon i250 printer I could never solve
    with the 64 bit release, so happily stayed with 32 bit releases and
    a Canon/Linux 32 bit i250 driver that worked until I eventually obtained
    a better supported printer.

    After that experience I would suggest starting off with the live, as
    distinct from alternate, 32 bit CD. The live CD, if your ram is up to
    it, gives the opportunity of running Ubuntu before you need even imagine
    your computer can't run it.

    > To be honest it seems like the whole thing is a pile of sh*t.
    >
    > Am I right?

    IMO Joe may be right.

    With Ubuntu security, I've never needed to bother with virus
    or malware removal, and with the superior file system I will never need
    to defrag. Also, amongst other neat things, the Ubuntu operating system
    is *always* as transparent as I need it to be.

    Bob

  4. Re: user ubuntu will login in x seconds

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> Hi I got a CD image from here
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatI...desktopedition I did all the
    >> crap to make the CD, rebooted and then I get a f*cking login screen.
    >>
    >> There is no mention anywhere of what the login is in the instalation
    >> 'notes' if you can call them that. I am lost.

    > Did you RTFM?
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...d64/index.html
    >

    >> I have googled the error and came up with stuff like this, but it does
    >> not appear to have a solution except stuff like this

    >> I have a AMD machine, it should be 64 bit.

    > Given not all AMD processors are 64 bit, it may pay you to be sure about
    > that.

    I tried an earlier version 7.10 and it seemed fine.
    No login screen either.

    >> I am going to try tthe intel version which should work too.
    >>
    >> I can't get to the forum because I have not recieved a confirmation
    >> email.
    >>
    >> I feel really pissed off.
    >>
    >> OK I found the coonfirmation email in the spam folder (how appropiate).
    >>
    >> But can anyone help me?
    >>
    >> I feel really pissed off the whole thing seems like a sick joke.
    >>
    >> Remember I have never used ubuntu before.
    >>
    >> Anyhow I can't get past the login.
    >>
    >> There was something like "maybe" its a bug!! OR it somoething to do with
    >> my graphics card!! WTF!!

    > Seems you chose the alternate CD. I believe anyone capable of using a
    > computer could get past the login screen after installing from the Live
    > CD after even a very brief trial period.

    Well that shows how very very wrong you can be then doesn't it?

    > I did have difficulty with a Canon i250 printer I could never solve
    > with the 64 bit release, so happily stayed with 32 bit releases and
    > a Canon/Linux 32 bit i250 driver that worked until I eventually obtained
    > a better supported printer.
    >
    > After that experience I would suggest starting off with the live, as
    > distinct from alternate, 32 bit CD. The live CD, if your ram is up to
    > it, gives the opportunity of running Ubuntu before you need even imagine
    > your computer can't run it.

    Yes I had the earlier version running fine in ram.
    I am very vary about letting that software near my PC in case
    it damages it. I will try it on a spare disk though.

    >> To be honest it seems like the whole thing is a pile of sh*t.
    >>
    >> Am I right?

    > IMO Joe may be right.
    >
    > With Ubuntu security, I've never needed to bother with virus
    > or malware removal, and with the superior file system I will never need
    > to defrag. Also, amongst other neat things, the Ubuntu operating system
    > is *always* as transparent as I need it to be.
    >
    > Bob

  5. Re: user ubuntu will login in x seconds

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > "Bob" wrote in message
    >> Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>> Hi I got a CD image from here
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatI...desktopedition I did
    >>> all the crap to make the CD, rebooted and then I get a f*cking
    >>> login screen.
    >>>
    >>> There is no mention anywhere of what the login is in the
    >>> instalation 'notes' if you can call them that. I am lost.

    >> Did you RTFM?
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...d64/index.html
    >>
    >>> I have googled the error and came up with stuff like this, but it
    >>> does not appear to have a solution except stuff like this
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=602239
    >>>
    >>> I have a AMD machine, it should be 64 bit.

    >> Given not all AMD processors are 64 bit, it may pay you to be sure
    >> about that.

    > I tried an earlier version 7.10 and it seemed fine. No login screen
    > either.
    >

    >>> I am going to try tthe intel version which should work too.
    >>>
    >>> I can't get to the forum because I have not recieved a
    >>> confirmation email.
    >>>
    >>> I feel really pissed off.
    >>>
    >>> OK I found the coonfirmation email in the spam folder (how
    >>> appropiate).
    >>>
    >>> But can anyone help me?
    >>>
    >>> I feel really pissed off the whole thing seems like a sick joke.
    >>>
    >>> Remember I have never used ubuntu before.
    >>>
    >>> Anyhow I can't get past the login.
    >>>
    >>> There was something like "maybe" its a bug!! OR it somoething to
    >>> do with my graphics card!! WTF!!

    >> Seems you chose the alternate CD. I believe anyone capable of using
    >> a computer could get past the login screen after installing from
    >> the Live CD after even a very brief trial period.

    > Well that shows how very very wrong you can be then doesn't it?

    LOL I can't argue with that

    >> I did have difficulty with a Canon i250 printer I could never solve
    >> with the 64 bit release, so happily stayed with 32 bit releases
    >> and a Canon/Linux 32 bit i250 driver that worked until I eventually
    >> obtained a better supported printer.
    >>
    >> After that experience I would suggest starting off with the live,
    >> as distinct from alternate, 32 bit CD. The live CD, if your ram is
    >> up to it, gives the opportunity of running Ubuntu before you need
    >> even imagine your computer can't run it.

    > Yes I had the earlier version running fine in ram. I am very vary
    > about letting that software near my PC in case it damages it. I will
    > try it on a spare disk though.

    Good Luck!

    Are you going to read the correct installation manual first?

    I've been contentedly running Ubuntu 24/7 for about a year now and even
    though I've mentioned my processor locked at full load in another thread
    here, its so long since I've read of wrecked hardware I don't see it as
    a problem with later releases of Ubuntu.

    Bob

  6. Re: user ubuntu will login in x seconds

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> "Bob" wrote in message

    >>> Did you RTFM?
    >>> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...d64/index.html

    >>> Given not all AMD processors are 64 bit, it may pay you to be sure
    >>> about that.

    >> I tried an earlier version 7.10 and it seemed fine. No login screen
    >> either.

    >>> Seems you chose the alternate CD. I believe anyone capable of using
    >>> a computer could get past the login screen after installing from
    >>> the Live CD after even a very brief trial period.

    >> Well that shows how very very wrong you can be then doesn't it?

    > LOL I can't argue with that
    >

    >>> I did have difficulty with a Canon i250 printer I could never solve
    >>> with the 64 bit release, so happily stayed with 32 bit releases
    >>> and a Canon/Linux 32 bit i250 driver that worked until I eventually
    >>> obtained a better supported printer.
    >>>
    >>> After that experience I would suggest starting off with the live,
    >>> as distinct from alternate, 32 bit CD. The live CD, if your ram is
    >>> up to it, gives the opportunity of running Ubuntu before you need
    >>> even imagine your computer can't run it.

    >> Yes I had the earlier version running fine in ram. I am very vary
    >> about letting that software near my PC in case it damages it. I will
    >> try it on a spare disk though.

    > Good Luck!
    >
    > Are you going to read the correct installation manual first?
    >
    > I've been contentedly running Ubuntu 24/7 for about a year now and even
    > though I've mentioned my processor locked at full load in another thread
    > here, its so long since I've read of wrecked hardware I don't see it as
    > a problem with later releases of Ubuntu.

    I am talking about screwing up the existing operating system.
    There clearly is a problem with the instalatiion in some circumstances.

    > Bob

  7. Re: user ubuntu will login in x seconds

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    snip

    > I am talking about screwing up the existing operating system. There
    > clearly is a problem with the instalatiion in some circumstances.

    Other than the possibility of deleting relatively obscure files such
    as Gigabyte OS backup even with a manual format, hopefully someone with
    more than my thimble of knowledge will give your claim the intelligent
    response it deserves.

    If you can do with a chuckle, mention of obscure files/formats may be
    adequately detailed in the appropriate Ubuntu installation manuals, but
    having never known of their existence 'till I first replied in this
    thread, I've not even read one of them. RTFM indeed!

    Bob

  8. Re: user ubuntu will login in x seconds

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    snip

    > I am talking about screwing up the existing operating system. There
    > clearly is a problem with the instalatiion in some circumstances.

    Other than the possibility of deleting relatively obscure files such
    as Gigabyte OS backup even with a manual format, hopefully someone with
    more than my thimble of knowledge will give your claim the intelligent
    response it deserves.

    If you can do with a chuckle, mention of obscure files/formats may be
    adequately detailed in the appropriate Ubuntu installation manuals, but
    having never known of their existence 'till I first replied in this
    thread, I've not even read one of them. RTFM indeed!

    Bob

  9. Re: user ubuntu will login in x seconds

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    snip

    > I am talking about screwing up the existing operating system. There
    > clearly is a problem with the instalatiion in some circumstances.

    Other than the possibility of deleting relatively obscure files such
    as Gigabyte OS backup even with a manual format, hopefully someone with
    more than my thimble of knowledge will give your claim the intelligent
    response it deserves.

    If you can do with a chuckle, mention of obscure files/formats may be
    adequately detailed in the appropriate Ubuntu installation manuals, but
    having never known of their existence 'till I first replied in this
    thread, I've not even read one of them. RTFM indeed!

    Bob

  10. Re: user ubuntu will login in x seconds

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > snip
    >>
    >> I am talking about screwing up the existing operating system. There
    >> clearly is a problem with the instalatiion in some circumstances.
    >>

    > Other than the possibility of deleting relatively obscure files such
    > as Gigabyte OS backup even with a manual format, hopefully someone with
    > more than my thimble of knowledge will give your claim the intelligent
    > response it deserves.
    >
    > If you can do with a chuckle, mention of obscure files/formats may be
    > adequately detailed in the appropriate Ubuntu installation manuals, but
    > having never known of their existence 'till I first replied in this
    > thread, I've not even read one of them. RTFM indeed!

    Well I am going to try and Wubi a different version
    this avoids formatting or partitioning show it should be relatively save.
    Downloading it now, will post how I get on with it.
    (assuminig my computer is still 'alive')

    > Bob

+ Reply to Thread