mounting in Ubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on mounting in Ubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu ; I'm having a look at some other distros (dare I say) on my test PC and want to be able to access (read) the other distro partitions from Ubuntu8.04 If I do > I can see all the partitions. I ...

  1. mounting in Ubuntu 8.04

    I'm having a look at some other distros (dare I say) on my test PC and want
    to be able to access (read) the other distro partitions from Ubuntu8.04

    If I do <> I can see all the partitions. I can also access
    them using Nautilus (Places>Computer).

    But << sudo cat /etc/fstab >> shows only fd0, scd0, and my / and swap Ubuntu
    partitions. None of the other partitions.
    So I added << /dev/sda9 /mnt/mepis ext3 defaults 0 0 >> Whereupon my
    Mepis partition disappeared from the Nautilus "places" side bar.

    Now if I do the same but this time mount the partition in /media rather than
    /mnt not only does it come back to Nautilus but it also appears as an icon
    on the Desktop.

    This is not what I read these last 2 days about how Linux does mounting!!

    Is this behaviour correct and can someone explain what I need to do to mount
    in /mnt and get the partitions to appear in Nautilus and as an icon on the
    desktop.
    Thanks
    Dave

  2. Re: mounting in Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-06-26, davesurrey hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > I'm having a look at some other distros (dare I say) on my
    > test PC and want to be able to access (read) the other
    > distro partitions from Ubuntu8.04
    >
    > If I do <> I can see all the partitions. I
    > can also access them using Nautilus (Places>Computer).
    >
    > But << sudo cat /etc/fstab >> shows only fd0, scd0, and
    > my / and swap Ubuntu partitions. None of the other
    > partitions. So I added << /dev/sda9 /mnt/mepis ext3
    > defaults 0 0 >> Whereupon my Mepis partition disappeared
    > from the Nautilus "places" side bar.
    >
    > Now if I do the same but this time mount the partition in
    > /media rather than /mnt not only does it come back to
    > Nautilus but it also appears as an icon on the Desktop.
    >
    > This is not what I read these last 2 days about how Linux
    >does mounting!!

    Don't know what you've been reading. :-(

    Now in *Ubuntu "vol_id" is used most of the time:

    UUID=ce99adfa-da77-4199-8e82-13579f10daa4 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
    to get this string:
    type as root in a shell: 'vol_id -u /dev/XYX' and start the line with
    'UUID='

    I used various Gnu/Linux distros myself too, and I haven't
    really bothered to read up in the changes and why the
    *Ubuntu developers use the above scheme.

    And yes I too had to unlearn, from mounting in /mount to
    use /media instead, but I don't really understand your
    misgivings about having to use /media instead of /mnt. As
    long as I can access the files, I really don't care that
    much.

    > Is this behaviour correct and can someone explain what I
    > need to do to mount in /mnt and get the partitions to
    > appear in Nautilus and as an icon on the desktop.

    > Thanks
    > Dave

    Dragomir Kollaric

  3. Re: mounting in Ubuntu 8.04

    http://www.unixtutorial.org/2008/05/ubuntu-uuid-how-to

    --
    John

  4. Re: mounting in Ubuntu 8.04

    "Dragomir Kollaric" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-26, davesurrey hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >
    >> I'm having a look at some other distros (dare I say) on my
    >> test PC and want to be able to access (read) the other
    >> distro partitions from Ubuntu8.04
    >>
    >> If I do <> I can see all the partitions. I
    >> can also access them using Nautilus (Places>Computer).
    >>
    >> But << sudo cat /etc/fstab >> shows only fd0, scd0, and
    >> my / and swap Ubuntu partitions. None of the other
    >> partitions. So I added << /dev/sda9 /mnt/mepis ext3
    >> defaults 0 0 >> Whereupon my Mepis partition disappeared
    >> from the Nautilus "places" side bar.
    >>
    >> Now if I do the same but this time mount the partition in
    >> /media rather than /mnt not only does it come back to
    >> Nautilus but it also appears as an icon on the Desktop.
    >>
    >> This is not what I read these last 2 days about how Linux
    >>does mounting!!

    > Don't know what you've been reading. :-(
    >
    > Now in *Ubuntu "vol_id" is used most of the time:
    >
    > UUID=ce99adfa-da77-4199-8e82-13579f10daa4 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
    > to get this string:
    > type as root in a shell: 'vol_id -u /dev/XYX' and start the line with
    > 'UUID='
    >
    > I used various Gnu/Linux distros myself too, and I haven't
    > really bothered to read up in the changes and why the
    > *Ubuntu developers use the above scheme.
    >
    > And yes I too had to unlearn, from mounting in /mount to
    > use /media instead, but I don't really understand your
    > misgivings about having to use /media instead of /mnt. As
    > long as I can access the files, I really don't care that
    > much.
    >

    >> Is this behaviour correct and can someone explain what I
    >> need to do to mount in /mnt and get the partitions to
    >> appear in Nautilus and as an icon on the desktop.

    >> Thanks
    >> Dave

    Hi Dragomir,
    Thanks for your comments.
    What have I been reading? Anything and everything I can get my hands on
    these past few days re booting, partitions and mounts!
    As always on the net there is a lot of info but much of it unclear, some
    outdated and also some clearly wrong.

    For example I've seen 3 things continually repeated:
    1. don't ever ever make a directory immediately under /
    2. you can put mount points anywhere you like. It's all the same.
    3. put mounts points of fixed drives under /mnt and for removables put under
    /media.
    ?*!

    Yes I have got it working now in Ubuntu and without invoking UUIDs (I did
    read why they had changed to this and it makes sense but I also like using
    volume IDs) but :
    4. it didn't work the way all the articles I read about mounting said it
    would.
    5. there is obviously some difference between mounting under/mnt and under
    /media in Ubuntu. eg automatically putting icons on the desktop and the way
    it interacts with Nautilus .
    My curiosity and desire to learn says I'd like to know more why the change
    and what are its consequences.
    Hopefully someone must know out there.
    Cheers.
    Dave

  5. Re: mounting in Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-06-26, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-06-26, davesurrey hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >
    >> I'm having a look at some other distros (dare I say) on my
    >> test PC and want to be able to access (read) the other
    >> distro partitions from Ubuntu8.04
    >>
    >> If I do <> I can see all the partitions. I
    >> can also access them using Nautilus (Places>Computer).
    >>
    >> But << sudo cat /etc/fstab >> shows only fd0, scd0, and
    >> my / and swap Ubuntu partitions. None of the other
    >> partitions. So I added << /dev/sda9 /mnt/mepis ext3
    >> defaults 0 0 >> Whereupon my Mepis partition disappeared
    >> from the Nautilus "places" side bar.
    >>
    >> Now if I do the same but this time mount the partition in
    >> /media rather than /mnt not only does it come back to
    >> Nautilus but it also appears as an icon on the Desktop.
    >>
    >> This is not what I read these last 2 days about how Linux
    >>does mounting!!

    > Don't know what you've been reading. :-(
    >
    > Now in *Ubuntu "vol_id" is used most of the time:
    >
    > UUID=ce99adfa-da77-4199-8e82-13579f10daa4 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
    > to get this string:
    > type as root in a shell: 'vol_id -u /dev/XYX' and start the line with
    > 'UUID='
    >
    > I used various Gnu/Linux distros myself too, and I haven't
    > really bothered to read up in the changes and why the
    > *Ubuntu developers use the above scheme.

    The reasons are simple. When using potentially non-persistent drive
    connections, the sdX (or hdX) designation can easily change. USB is
    an obvious one, but also affected are systems connected to a SAN. For
    instance, a few years ago I was called to work on a redhat server that
    wouldn't boot. The problem ended up being that the SAN connection
    wasn't working. When the SAN was working right, the SAN took the low
    designations (sda, sdb - sdf). The /boot partition on the local RAID
    adapter was pushed out to sdg. Without the SAN, the local /boot was
    now sda.

    This could be addressed through labels as well, but they need to be
    manually assigned, whereas the UUID is automatic and (in theory)
    unique.

    > And yes I too had to unlearn, from mounting in /mount to
    > use /media instead, but I don't really understand your
    > misgivings about having to use /media instead of /mnt. As
    > long as I can access the files, I really don't care that
    > much.

    I still use /mnt for most things. I don't need (or even want) icons
    for my mounts showing up on the desktop. I know where they are, so
    why clutter the desktop?

    >> Is this behaviour correct and can someone explain what I
    >> need to do to mount in /mnt and get the partitions to
    >> appear in Nautilus and as an icon on the desktop.

    Just mount them under /media if that is your goal. Seems simple
    enough...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  6. Re: mounting in Ubuntu 8.04

    On 2008-06-26, John F. Morse hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >> I used various Gnu/Linux distros myself too, and I haven't
    >> really bothered to read up in the changes and why the
    >> *Ubuntu developers use the above scheme.
    >>

    > http://www.unixtutorial.org/2008/05/ubuntu-uuid-how-to

    Thanks for the link, I guess I should have read up on it a
    bit earlier... :-) I'm using sometimes up to three different
    usb-sticks, external HDD's and assigning them the UUID in
    /etc/fstab allows me to mount them on the same mount-point,
    every time I connect them. No matter the order.

    To the other Poster, I used for years a light-wight
    file-manager called "worker" and I didn't get to use
    nautilus, also I like the old-way of mounting/unmounting the
    devices manually.....

    Dragomir Kollaric