FireFox will not save cookies for shopping... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on FireFox will not save cookies for shopping... - Ubuntu ; This has happened in both Windows and Linux. If I add items to a shopping cart at a commercial web site, then close the program, when I come back, the items are not saved in my cart. I have to ...

  1. FireFox will not save cookies for shopping...

    This has happened in both Windows and Linux. If I add items to a
    shopping cart at a commercial web site, then close the program, when I
    come back, the items are not saved in my cart. I have to go to the
    trouble of re-adding them, and I don't always remember what I wanted.

    I've double and triple checked the preferences for saving cookies, and
    it's always set to keep until they expire. And I doubt most web
    vendors would set shopping cart cookies to expire in under 24 hours.

    Hell, this time, I didn't even close FireFox; I had it openned for a
    couple of hours, then when I came back and created an account to make
    a purchase, I get an empty shopping cart.

  2. Re: FireFox will not save cookies for shopping...

    Todd wrote:

    > This has happened in both Windows and Linux. If I add items to a
    > shopping cart at a commercial web site, then close the program, when I
    > come back, the items are not saved in my cart. I have to go to the
    > trouble of re-adding them, and I don't always remember what I wanted.
    >
    > I've double and triple checked the preferences for saving cookies, and
    > it's always set to keep until they expire. And I doubt most web
    > vendors would set shopping cart cookies to expire in under 24 hours.

    I am not certain if your shop uses cookies to store shopping cart content,
    and if it does, which expire time is set.

    > Hell, this time, I didn't even close FireFox; I had it openned for a
    > couple of hours, then when I came back and created an account to make
    > a purchase, I get an empty shopping cart.

    Maybe firefox honors expire times more rigid than IE. Imagine the price went
    up in between, or the articles are not available anymore. Someone could
    therefore open a browser, keep the shopping cart for days and weeks and
    create a derivative income from reselling the articles or another one for
    his lawyer when sueing the shopping site owner for non-delivvery.
    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  3. Re: FireFox will not save cookies for shopping...

    Todd illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > This has happened in both Windows and Linux. If I add items to a
    > shopping cart at a commercial web site, then close the program, when I
    > come back, the items are not saved in my cart. I have to go to the
    > trouble of re-adding them, and I don't always remember what I wanted.
    >
    > I've double and triple checked the preferences for saving cookies, and
    > it's always set to keep until they expire. And I doubt most web
    > vendors would set shopping cart cookies to expire in under 24 hours.
    >
    > Hell, this time, I didn't even close FireFox; I had it openned for a
    > couple of hours, then when I came back and created an account to make
    > a purchase, I get an empty shopping cart.

    I have a couple of online stores setup. They have a cart time out of
    20 minutes.

    IIRC, both Virtuemart and OSCommerce implement a similarly short time
    out. I would asssume the store you visited have too. Especially if
    they have live stock checking.

    They wouldn't want to leave something in someones cart for 24 hours if
    they were down to their last saleable item, just in case someone else
    wants to purchase immediately.

    --
    "New York's such a wonderful city. Although I was at the library today.
    The guys are very rude. I said, "I'd like a card." He says, "You have

  4. Re: FireFox will not save cookies for shopping...

    Todd wrote:
    > This has happened in both Windows and Linux. If I add items to a
    > shopping cart at a commercial web site, then close the program, when I
    > come back, the items are not saved in my cart. I have to go to the
    > trouble of re-adding them, and I don't always remember what I wanted.
    >
    > I've double and triple checked the preferences for saving cookies, and
    > it's always set to keep until they expire. And I doubt most web
    > vendors would set shopping cart cookies to expire in under 24 hours.
    >
    > Hell, this time, I didn't even close FireFox; I had it openned for a
    > couple of hours, then when I came back and created an account to make
    > a purchase, I get an empty shopping cart.

    Perhaps you need to create the account before you use the shopping cart?

    --
    John

  5. Re: FireFox will not save cookies for shopping...

    "John F. Morse" wrote:

    >Perhaps you need to create the account before you use the shopping cart?

    Didn't know I needed to create an account, with user id and password,
    before I clicked the check out button. I don't know that I'll be
    buying from this vendor again. If I do, I'll give them my name and
    address again, the same as I would if I was buying from a paper
    catalogue. And I sure as hell don't want them storing my credit card
    information with my user id.

  6. Re: FireFox will not save cookies for shopping...

    Moog wrote:

    >I have a couple of online stores setup. They have a cart time out of
    >20 minutes.
    >
    >IIRC, both Virtuemart and OSCommerce implement a similarly short time
    >out. I would asssume the store you visited have too. Especially if
    >they have live stock checking.
    >
    >They wouldn't want to leave something in someones cart for 24 hours if
    >they were down to their last saleable item, just in case someone else
    >wants to purchase immediately.

    You must not want to keep your customers. And it's a really lame ass
    way of doing business.

    I can log-in to Amazon on any computer, and bring up a list of things
    that I added to my cart over a week ago.

    This is how things should work:

    The cart cookie would keep only the product id number and the time and
    date the item was added. The cart would not put a hold an any
    inventory. (This should be stated in the store's online policy; and
    anybody with any sense would understand it.) If all inventory was
    sold out, or the price went up, next time the cart was reloaded, a
    notice would be generated, rather than the cart, giving the customer
    options.

  7. Re: FireFox will not save cookies for shopping...

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    >Maybe firefox honors expire times more rigid than IE. Imagine the price went
    >up in between, or the articles are not available anymore. Someone could
    >therefore open a browser, keep the shopping cart for days and weeks and
    >create a derivative income from reselling the articles or another one for
    >his lawyer when sueing the shopping site owner for non-delivvery.

    Any competent judge overseeing such a suit would find for the
    retailer, and make the "customer" pay the retailer's legal fees.

    You know, if there was a law barring plaintiff's lawyers from
    collecting in frivolous lawsuits, there'd be a lot less frivolous
    lawsuits. The judge would have the authority to determine if the
    lawsuit was frivolous.

  8. Re: FireFox will not save cookies for shopping...

    Todd illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >>I have a couple of online stores setup. They have a cart time out of
    >>20 minutes.
    >>
    >>IIRC, both Virtuemart and OSCommerce implement a similarly short time
    >>out. I would asssume the store you visited have too. Especially if
    >>they have live stock checking.
    >>
    >>They wouldn't want to leave something in someones cart for 24 hours if
    >>they were down to their last saleable item, just in case someone else
    >>wants to purchase immediately.

    > You must not want to keep your customers. And it's a really lame ass
    > way of doing business.

    Point taken.

    > I can log-in to Amazon on any computer, and bring up a list of things
    > that I added to my cart over a week ago.

    The stocks at Amason are pretty much larger than most other online
    stores. They possibly do a live stock search prior to completing.

    I know I'd be a little annoyed if it allowed me to order and pay for
    something that wasn't in stock.

    > This is how things should work:
    >
    > The cart cookie would keep only the product id number and the time and
    > date the item was added. The cart would not put a hold an any
    > inventory. (This should be stated in the store's online policy; and
    > anybody with any sense would understand it.) If all inventory was
    > sold out, or the price went up, next time the cart was reloaded, a
    > notice would be generated, rather than the cart, giving the customer
    > options.

    Again. I don't see a problem with that, what I was suggesting is that
    some cart software has short limits for carts set "out of the box".

    There must be a reason for them being set up that way. I can actually
    see it, and it wouldn't bother me personally.

    As I've already said, I can see both sides of the coin.

    --
    "So I was getting into my car, and this bloke says to me "Can you give
    me a lift?" I said "Sure, you look great, the world's your oyster, go

+ Reply to Thread