remote login from XP? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on remote login from XP? - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I need to do a remote login from an XPH box into an Kubuntu 8.04 box that is running ssh. Is this possible and what software do I need to install on the XPH side to make this ...

  1. remote login from XP?

    Hi all,

    I need to do a remote login from an XPH box into an Kubuntu 8.04 box
    that is running ssh. Is this possible and what software do I need to
    install on the XPH side to make this work?

    thanks,
    charles.....

  2. Re: remote login from XP?

    ***** charles wrote in news:tqD8k.9837$xZ.4465
    @nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I need to do a remote login from an XPH box into an Kubuntu 8.04 box
    > that is running ssh. Is this possible and what software do I need to
    > install on the XPH side to make this work?
    >
    > thanks,
    > charles.....

    Sure is. All you need is something like putty and you'll be able
    to open an ssh connection to your machine.

    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

    I use the putty-0.60-installer.exe

  3. Re: remote login from XP?

    I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    > Sure is. All you need is something like putty and you'll be able
    > to open an ssh connection to your machine.

    Yup. Unless you want a GUI-like FTP client (for SSH of course) to your
    files. Then winscp is your app:
    http://winscp.net/eng/docs/screenshots

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: remote login from XP?

    On Thursday 26 Jun 2008 06:11 I_Am_The_Walrus licked a pencil and jotted:

    > ***** charles wrote in news:tqD8k.9837$xZ.4465
    > @nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I need to do a remote login from an XPH box into an Kubuntu 8.04 box
    >> that is running ssh. Is this possible and what software do I need to
    >> install on the XPH side to make this work?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> charles.....
    >>

    > Sure is. All you need is something like putty and you'll be able
    > to open an ssh connection to your machine.
    >
    > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
    >
    > I use the putty-0.60-installer.exe

    I can also vouch for putty. I use it from work on an XP box to one of my PCs
    at home. Set some port forwarding in it and you can open up webmin, vnc,
    cups etc. I haven't got anything at work that will allow me to open X
    sessions but if you have the patience you can do that over the tunnel too.

    You can set up enough port forwards in it to bounce on to other machines on
    your home network too with just the one port forward in your router.

    HTH

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  5. Re: remote login from XP?

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 05:11:35 +0000, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:

    > ***** charles wrote in news:tqD8k.9837$xZ.4465
    > @nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I need to do a remote login from an XPH box into an Kubuntu 8.04 box
    >> that is running ssh. Is this possible and what software do I need to
    >> install on the XPH side to make this work?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> charles.....
    >>

    > Sure is. All you need is something like putty and you'll be able
    > to open an ssh connection to your machine.
    >
    > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
    >
    > I use the putty-0.60-installer.exe

    In addition to putty, install xming on the XP box. This will enable you
    to use the XP box as an X server, so that any GUI applications running on
    the Ubuntu box will display on the XP box.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

  6. Re: remote login from XP?

    "MarkA" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.06.27.02.01.18.866828@nowhere.com...
    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 05:11:35 +0000, I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    >
    > > ***** charles wrote in news:tqD8k.9837$xZ.4465
    > > @nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:
    > >
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> I need to do a remote login from an XPH box into an Kubuntu 8.04 box
    > >> that is running ssh. Is this possible and what software do I need to
    > >> install on the XPH side to make this work?
    > >>
    > >> thanks,
    > >> charles.....
    > >>

    > > Sure is. All you need is something like putty and you'll be able
    > > to open an ssh connection to your machine.
    > >
    > > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
    > >
    > > I use the putty-0.60-installer.exe

    > In addition to putty, install xming on the XP box. This will enable you
    > to use the XP box as an X server, so that any GUI applications running on
    > the Ubuntu box will display on the XP box.
    >
    > --
    > MarkA
    > Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

    Thanks to all for your posts and sorry it so long to respond.
    I'll try putty. I only need command line link.

    later,
    charles.....

+ Reply to Thread