Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970 - Ubuntu ; I have been tasked to set up a lab server that will be used to build and test various virtual hardware configurations. My plan was to use VirtualBox on 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 server. Day 1: Took possession of a ...

  1. Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970

    I have been tasked to set up a lab server that will be used to build and
    test various virtual hardware configurations. My plan was to use VirtualBox
    on 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 server.

    Day 1:
    Took possession of a new Dell PowerEdge 2970 server.
    2 Quad Core 2.1 GHz AMD 2352 CPUs
    16 GB RAM
    1TB (4 x 500 GB) RAID-1 disks
    Broadcom 5708 dual port NIC
    24x IDE CD/ROM

    Discovered the Dell system software and documentation is available only on
    DVD. Since I overlooked upgrading to a CD/DVD drive, I could not use the
    media delivered with the system (Thanks Mr. Dell!). Luckily Dell provided
    ISO CD images for the important stuff on the DVD. So I popped it into my
    WinXP laptop and burned a few disks.

    Booted on the System Config utility, ran hardware tests, all good to go.

    Inserted Ubuntu 8.04 Server AMD 64 disk I burned a few weeks ago. Ran a
    check on the disk and discovered checksum errors. Back to the WinXP laptop
    to download and burn a new install CD.

    Boot the PowerEdge on the CD, verified check sums, all is good to go. Began
    install and all went well through partitioning. Installation failed on
    trying to format the drives.

    Back to the WinXP laptop. Download and burn an Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop AMD 64
    image and burn a disk. Boot the PowerEdge on the disk and start using the
    trial option. Everything looks good. Click install from the desk top.
    Installation goes well until after partitioning. Install fails on "copying
    base system".

    That's it, bedtime.

    Day 2:
    Use the WinXP laptop to download and burn an Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop 32 bit
    version disk. Boot the PowerEdge on the disk using trial option. Boots ok,
    verify that the OS only sees 4 GB of RAM (oh well). Click install from the
    desktop. Install goes perfectly. System boots using only 25% of the
    installed RAM.

    Reboot system on the server AMD 64 bit install disk. Run through install
    process. I choose to erase the data on the partitions instead of formatting.
    All goes well until failure on "Copying base system."

    That's it, bedtime again (I can only work on this in the evenings).

    Day 3:
    Decided to seek help from the Ubuntu community via the alt. news group. Back
    to the WinXP laptop. Open Outlook and hop into the usenet groups.
    Discovered Verizon has removed all alt. news groups from their servers.

    Now totally frustrated, I realized that in the last three days I have relied
    on my WinXP laptop because it just works.

    So, logged onto MSDN, downloaded and burned a WinSvr 2003 64 bit. The
    install is going very nicely thank you. Tomorrow, I might actual get some
    work done on the new server.

    Later.

    P.S. Hey Verizon, I got something for you to hear.

  2. Re: Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970

    On 2008-06-26, Bio Wonders wrote:
    > I have been tasked to set up a lab server that will be used to build and
    > test various virtual hardware configurations. My plan was to use VirtualBox
    > on 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 server.
    >
    > Day 1:
    > Took possession of a new Dell PowerEdge 2970 server.
    > 2 Quad Core 2.1 GHz AMD 2352 CPUs
    > 16 GB RAM
    > 1TB (4 x 500 GB) RAID-1 disks
    > Broadcom 5708 dual port NIC
    > 24x IDE CD/ROM
    >
    > Discovered the Dell system software and documentation is available only on
    > DVD. Since I overlooked upgrading to a CD/DVD drive, I could not use the
    > media delivered with the system (Thanks Mr. Dell!). Luckily Dell provided
    > ISO CD images for the important stuff on the DVD. So I popped it into my
    > WinXP laptop and burned a few disks.
    >
    > Booted on the System Config utility, ran hardware tests, all good to go.
    >
    > Inserted Ubuntu 8.04 Server AMD 64 disk I burned a few weeks ago. Ran a
    > check on the disk and discovered checksum errors. Back to the WinXP laptop
    > to download and burn a new install CD.
    >
    > Boot the PowerEdge on the CD, verified check sums, all is good to go. Began
    > install and all went well through partitioning. Installation failed on
    > trying to format the drives.
    >
    > Back to the WinXP laptop. Download and burn an Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop AMD 64
    > image and burn a disk. Boot the PowerEdge on the disk and start using the
    > trial option. Everything looks good. Click install from the desk top.
    > Installation goes well until after partitioning. Install fails on "copying
    > base system".

    How does it fail, exactly, what is it saying?

    > That's it, bedtime.
    >
    > Day 2:
    > Use the WinXP laptop to download and burn an Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop 32 bit
    > version disk. Boot the PowerEdge on the disk using trial option. Boots ok,
    > verify that the OS only sees 4 GB of RAM (oh well). Click install from the
    > desktop. Install goes perfectly. System boots using only 25% of the
    > installed RAM.
    >
    > Reboot system on the server AMD 64 bit install disk. Run through install
    > process. I choose to erase the data on the partitions instead of formatting.
    > All goes well until failure on "Copying base system."
    >
    > That's it, bedtime again (I can only work on this in the evenings).
    >
    > Day 3:
    > Decided to seek help from the Ubuntu community via the alt. news group. Back
    > to the WinXP laptop. Open Outlook and hop into the usenet groups.
    > Discovered Verizon has removed all alt. news groups from their servers.
    >
    > Now totally frustrated, I realized that in the last three days I have relied
    > on my WinXP laptop because it just works.
    >
    > So, logged onto MSDN, downloaded and burned a WinSvr 2003 64 bit. The
    > install is going very nicely thank you. Tomorrow, I might actual get some
    > work done on the new server.

    What are you planning on doing on this server?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:50:07 -0500, Bio Wonders wrote:

    And as you're clearly not looking for assistance with your problem, the
    point of your post (other than trolling) is what?

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970

    "Stephan Rose" wrote in message
    news:ZZGdnYlMhI9kav7VnZ2dnUVZ_tTinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:50:07 -0500, Bio Wonders wrote:
    >

    > And as you're clearly not looking for assistance with your problem, the
    > point of your post (other than trolling) is what?
    >
    > --
    > Stephan
    > 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
    >
    > ???????????????
    > ?????????????

    Educating the masses.

  5. Re: Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970

    "Ignoramus27719" wrote in message
    news:XPmdnUwp_bkQiP7VnZ2dnUVZ_rDinZ2d@giganews.com ...
> [...]

    >> Back
    >> to the WinXP laptop. Open Outlook and hop into the usenet groups.
    >> Discovered Verizon has removed all alt. news groups from their servers.
    >>
    >> Now totally frustrated, I realized that in the last three days I have
    >> relied
    >> on my WinXP laptop because it just works.
    >>
    >> So, logged onto MSDN, downloaded and burned a WinSvr 2003 64 bit. The
    >> install is going very nicely thank you. Tomorrow, I might actual get some
    >> work done on the new server.

    > What are you planning on doing on this server?
    > --
    > Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
    > inattention
    > to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    > from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    > more readers you will need to find a different means of

    There is no specific error. It just says the install failed writing the base
    system to disk. I am assuming the problem is with the SCSI drivers. I just
    don't have time to resolve the issues. I get paid to write code, not trouble
    shoot operating system.

    The system will be used to create and test virtual device solutions. Sorry,
    I can't be more specific than that.

  6. Re: Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970

    On 2008-06-26, Bio Wonders wrote:

> [...]

    >>> to the WinXP laptop. Open Outlook and hop into the usenet groups.
    >>> Discovered Verizon has removed all alt. news groups from their servers.
    >>>
    >>> Now totally frustrated, I realized that in the last three days I have
    >>> relied
    >>> on my WinXP laptop because it just works.
    >>>
    >>> So, logged onto MSDN, downloaded and burned a WinSvr 2003 64 bit. The
    >>> install is going very nicely thank you. Tomorrow, I might actual get some
    >>> work done on the new server.

    >> What are you planning on doing on this server?

    > There is no specific error. It just says the install failed writing the base
    > system to disk. I am assuming the problem is with the SCSI drivers. I just
    > don't have time to resolve the issues. I get paid to write code, not trouble
    > shoot operating system.
    >
    > The system will be used to create and test virtual device solutions. Sorry,

    I had similar issue with a Dell poweredge (older server), model 2650.

    Just 5 or so days ago. What a coincidence.

    The problem was that there was a bug in Adaptec RAID controller
    firmware. I had to download a utility from Adaptec that upgraded that
    firmware of that controller. That fully resolved the problem.

    I hope that along with getting paid to write code, you also are paid
    to troubleshoot problems, and this problem can probably be resolved
    with a little troubleshooting, which would be a good practice of
    troubleshooting skills.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970

    "Ignoramus5512" wrote in message
    news:r6ydnczm990uqvnVnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-06-26, Bio Wonders wrote:
    >>
    >> "Ignoramus27719" wrote in message
    >> news:XPmdnUwp_bkQiP7VnZ2dnUVZ_rDinZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> How does it fail, exactly, what is it saying?

    >>> What are you planning on doing on this server?

    >> There is no specific error. It just says the install failed writing the
    >> base
    >> system to disk. I am assuming the problem is with the SCSI drivers. I
    >> just
    >> don't have time to resolve the issues. I get paid to write code, not
    >> trouble
    >> shoot operating system.
    >>
    >> The system will be used to create and test virtual device solutions.
    >> Sorry,
    >> I can't be more specific than that.
    >>

    > I had similar issue with a Dell poweredge (older server), model 2650.
    >
    > Just 5 or so days ago. What a coincidence.
    >
    > The problem was that there was a bug in Adaptec RAID controller
    > firmware. I had to download a utility from Adaptec that upgraded that
    > firmware of that controller. That fully resolved the problem.
    >
    > I hope that along with getting paid to write code, you also are paid
    > to troubleshoot problems, and this problem can probably be resolved
    > with a little troubleshooting, which would be a good practice of
    > troubleshooting skills.
    >
    > --
    > Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
    > inattention
    > to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    > from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    > more readers you will need to find a different means of
    > posting on Usenet.
    > http://improve-usenet.org/

    With over 35 years of programming I done my fair share of OS
    troubleshooting. This project just doesn't have any slack in the schedule.

    My preference is to run Linux as the host OS. Please provide specifics of
    the controllers.

    Thanks.

  8. Re: Ubuntu install on Dell PowerEdge 2970

    On 2008-06-27, Bio Wonders wrote:

    > "Ignoramus5512" wrote in message
    > news:r6ydnczm990uqvnVnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> On 2008-06-26, Bio Wonders wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Ignoramus27719" wrote in message
    >>> news:XPmdnUwp_bkQiP7VnZ2dnUVZ_rDinZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> There is no specific error. It just says the install failed writing the
    >>> base
    >>> system to disk. I am assuming the problem is with the SCSI drivers. I
    >>> just
    >>> don't have time to resolve the issues. I get paid to write code, not
    >>> trouble
    >>> shoot operating system.
    >>>
    >>> The system will be used to create and test virtual device solutions.
    >>> Sorry,
    >>> I can't be more specific than that.
    >>>

    >> I had similar issue with a Dell poweredge (older server), model 2650.
    >>
    >> Just 5 or so days ago. What a coincidence.
    >>
    >> The problem was that there was a bug in Adaptec RAID controller
    >> firmware. I had to download a utility from Adaptec that upgraded that
    >> firmware of that controller. That fully resolved the problem.
    >>
    >> I hope that along with getting paid to write code, you also are paid
    >> to troubleshoot problems, and this problem can probably be resolved
    >> with a little troubleshooting, which would be a good practice of
    >> troubleshooting skills.
    >>

    > With over 35 years of programming I done my fair share of OS
    > troubleshooting. This project just doesn't have any slack in the schedule.
    >
    > My preference is to run Linux as the host OS. Please provide specifics of
    > the controllers.

    this bug report lists a similar story to mine

    https://launchpad.net/bugs/149071

    I needed to download a utility from adaptec, it burned two diskettes
    and I had to boot from them and upgrade firmware.

    Whether you have same or different iossue, I have no idea.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

+ Reply to Thread