Ubuntu 7.10 security? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10 security? - Ubuntu ; What are the experienced suggestions for on-line security in 7.10? My system is only accessed by me and I have no email, web, or whatever servers. I only browse the web, read and post text messages to Usenet and read ...

  1. Ubuntu 7.10 security?

    What are the experienced suggestions for on-line security in 7.10? My
    system is only accessed by me and I have no email, web, or whatever
    servers. I only browse the web, read and post text messages to Usenet and
    read and send e-mail. I delete all e-mail spam unread. Most personal mail
    comes through Gmail; I only use my ISP e-mail for a couple of ham radio
    mailing lists.

    Use ClamAV to configure for viruses or is the feeling that Linux viruses
    are too rare to bother?

    Firestarter to configure the iptables firewall or will iptables usually
    work fine with the default settings?

    Anything else?

    To get away from the continual CPU and HD drag in Windows from virus
    scanning, anti-spyware scanning, and software guarding against on-line
    attacks which slow my system way down is one of the many reasons I am
    switching to Linux. Just wishful thinking?

    TIA

    Ken

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 security?

    Ken wrote:
    > What are the experienced suggestions for on-line security in 7.10? My
    > system is only accessed by me and I have no email, web, or whatever
    > servers. I only browse the web, read and post text messages to Usenet and
    > read and send e-mail. I delete all e-mail spam unread. Most personal mail
    > comes through Gmail; I only use my ISP e-mail for a couple of ham radio
    > mailing lists.
    >
    > Use ClamAV to configure for viruses or is the feeling that Linux viruses
    > are too rare to bother?
    >
    > Firestarter to configure the iptables firewall or will iptables usually
    > work fine with the default settings?
    >
    > Anything else?
    >
    > To get away from the continual CPU and HD drag in Windows from virus
    > scanning, anti-spyware scanning, and software guarding against on-line
    > attacks which slow my system way down is one of the many reasons I am
    > switching to Linux. Just wishful thinking?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ken

    You don't need clam or Firestarter. You do need a router with its
    firewall enabled. May I also suggest upgrading to 8.04, Hardy Heron. I
    like it MUCH better than 7.10. I would recommend doing a clean install,
    not an upgrade.

    Alias

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 security?

    I think that the most important thing that you can do for yourself is
    to run system updates daily. You can also subscribe to ubuntu
    vulnerability mailing list

    http://www.ubuntu.com/taxonomy/term/1+2/0

    you can also use ufw to set up a firewall.

    Since you do not export many services they cannot be a source of a
    problem, unless you are running something that you are not aware of.

  4. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 security?

    Op Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:07:35 +0000, schreef Ken:

    > What are the experienced suggestions for on-line security in 7.10? My
    > system is only accessed by me and I have no email, web, or whatever
    > servers. I only browse the web, read and post text messages to Usenet
    > and read and send e-mail. I delete all e-mail spam unread. Most personal
    > mail comes through Gmail; I only use my ISP e-mail for a couple of ham
    > radio mailing lists.
    >
    > Use ClamAV to configure for viruses or is the feeling that Linux viruses
    > are too rare to bother?
    >
    > Firestarter to configure the iptables firewall or will iptables usually
    > work fine with the default settings?
    >
    > Anything else?
    >
    > To get away from the continual CPU and HD drag in Windows from virus
    > scanning, anti-spyware scanning, and software guarding against on-line
    > attacks which slow my system way down is one of the many reasons I am
    > switching to Linux. Just wishful thinking?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ken

    Most of my customers have your profile when changing to Ubuntu. The
    default install options are just fine as long as you don't do anything
    else as what your stated you won't need bothering with anti virus or
    firestarter.

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.10 security?

    On 2008-06-25, Ken wrote:
    > What are the experienced suggestions for on-line security in 7.10? My
    > system is only accessed by me and I have no email, web, or whatever
    > servers. I only browse the web, read and post text messages to Usenet and
    > read and send e-mail. I delete all e-mail spam unread. Most personal mail
    > comes through Gmail; I only use my ISP e-mail for a couple of ham radio
    > mailing lists.
    >
    > Use ClamAV to configure for viruses or is the feeling that Linux viruses
    > are too rare to bother?
    >
    > Firestarter to configure the iptables firewall or will iptables usually
    > work fine with the default settings?
    >
    > Anything else?
    >
    > To get away from the continual CPU and HD drag in Windows from virus
    > scanning, anti-spyware scanning, and software guarding against on-line
    > attacks which slow my system way down is one of the many reasons I am
    > switching to Linux. Just wishful thinking?

    If you are not installing any server apps, and especially if you are
    connecting through a Router with NAT, you needn't bother with the
    firewall either. You don't have any open ports that a bad guy can get
    in through. And anti-virus is a waste...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread