grub menu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on grub menu - Ubuntu ; hello, after many system update, grub offer many too many selection in boot menu. is there a way to only keep last valid option? thanks in advance...

  1. grub menu

    hello,
    after many system update, grub offer many too many selection in boot menu.
    is there a way to only keep last valid option?
    thanks in advance

  2. Re: grub menu

    jfj illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > hello,
    > after many system update, grub offer many too many selection in boot menu.
    > is there a way to only keep last valid option?
    > thanks in advance

    Yup.

    Rather than get dirty with the grub menu.list file, which you can do
    if you wish, I would suggest simply installing the nifty
    startupmanager utility

    Open a terminal
    $ sudo apt-get install startupmanager

    You can then run it from
    System -> Administration -> Startup Manager.

    Limit the number of kernels to the amount you require.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  3. Re: grub menu

    jfj wrote:
    > hello,
    > after many system update, grub offer many too many selection in boot menu.
    > is there a way to only keep last valid option?
    > thanks in advance

    In /boot/grub/menu.lst change
    # howmany=all
    # howmany=2

    This will show the two latest kernels in the Grub menu. IMO you
    shouldn't use howmany=1 to have a second choice in case the kernel
    gets corrupted.

    To free disk space, you can also uninstall the older kernels.

    HTH,
    Niklaus

+ Reply to Thread