Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine - Ubuntu ; Whenever I read a Linux newbie (like me) complain about the need to use command line, every man and his dog comes out of the woodwork to say how secure the system is and how they must learn how it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85

  1. Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    Whenever I read a Linux newbie (like me) complain about the need to use
    command line, every man and his dog comes out of the woodwork to say how
    secure the system is and how they must learn how it all works in order
    to run it properly.
    Now I really believe that this is true.
    I also believe that this is just fine, and suits many people who love to
    get down and dirty with there Op. Sys. and learn a huge amount of code.

    I guess I take issue with the development of fancy GUI's and the
    pretence that these distros can actually be used by mum and dad. At
    first sight they appear to be as user friendly as that "other" OS, but
    in reality are never going to tread that territory.

    Giving people 95% GUI is worse than giving them none, because it can
    still only be functional if you are a command line aficionado, and want
    to learn a whole new language.

    Like many Windows people I have become curious about the Linux
    phenomenon and have spent weeks with first Ubuntu 7.10/8.04, and more
    recently Mandriva 2008...both running under VirtualBox.
    They install beautifully and look fantastic. Internet configs itself,
    email is a breeze...hey this is really cool.

    Then I try to play an audio CD...!

    Initially Ubuntu popped it onto the desktop and fired up a CD
    player...perfect. Unfortunately it's never done it again since. It has
    also never done it ever with Mandriva.
    OK I'll Google a fix. Lots and lots of command line ways to achieve my
    end, and I've tried so many of them my head is
    spinning...permissions...mounting/unmounting...attached folders etc.
    None have worked ever, and each helpful person gives different code to
    the last one..!

    You see it's that 5% that will never allow mum & dad access to these
    OS's.

    Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking any Linux distro, I am sure they
    are fantastic at what they do, but per-lease, don't pretend the public
    will ever take them up.

    So why bother with a GUI? Pure deception if you ask me. Leave it all on
    the terminal and let the code boys have their fun. Just stop pretending
    it will compete with Windows.

    I can easily play a CD under DOS...Windows...OS/2...eCS...you name it,
    but Linux?

    I hope the people who sell these distros pre-installed onto laptops
    point this out to their prospective buyers? They could be very pissed
    off, otherwise.

    regards

    Jules
    Brisbane, Australia

  2. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    Julian Cann wrote:
    > Complete and Utter Drivel.

    You get about a 1/2 on the troll meter.

    My parents (both in their 60s) use a Linux PC I set up for them. Not one
    problem in 2 years.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    > Initially Ubuntu popped it onto the desktop and fired up a CD
    > player...perfect. Unfortunately it's never done it again since. It has
    > also never done it ever with Mandriva.

    The auto-mount thing is always a problem in my opinion ...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.8

  4. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Julian Cann wrote:
    > > Complete and Utter Drivel.

    > You get about a 1/2 on the troll meter.

    *That* much?
    His troll attempt would have been invalid 4 years ago. Now his "arguments"
    are completely bogus and utterly stupid

    > My parents (both in their 60s) use a Linux PC I set up for them. Not one
    > problem in 2 years.

    My wife (who is far from being "computer-literate") asked me 2 month ago to
    install linux on her laptop because of the constant problems she had with
    windows (XP).
    Since then I have not heard a single complaint. She does not really notice
    big differences in usage, as there are none worth mentioning. Just the
    problems vanished.

    And she does not even know that a command-line exists.

    And yes, the laptop ran out of the box with linux, Wireless and sound
    included

  5. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    Julian Cann wrote:
    > Whenever I read a Linux newbie (like me) complain about the need to use
    > command line, every man and his dog comes out of the woodwork to say how
    > secure the system is and how they must learn how it all works in order
    > to run it properly.
    > Now I really believe that this is true.
    > I also believe that this is just fine, and suits many people who love to
    > get down and dirty with there Op. Sys. and learn a huge amount of code.
    >
    > I guess I take issue with the development of fancy GUI's and the
    > pretence that these distros can actually be used by mum and dad. At
    > first sight they appear to be as user friendly as that "other" OS, but
    > in reality are never going to tread that territory.
    >
    > Giving people 95% GUI is worse than giving them none, because it can
    > still only be functional if you are a command line aficionado, and want
    > to learn a whole new language.
    >
    > Like many Windows people I have become curious about the Linux
    > phenomenon and have spent weeks with first Ubuntu 7.10/8.04, and more
    > recently Mandriva 2008...both running under VirtualBox.
    > They install beautifully and look fantastic. Internet configs itself,
    > email is a breeze...hey this is really cool.
    >
    > Then I try to play an audio CD...!
    >
    > Initially Ubuntu popped it onto the desktop and fired up a CD
    > player...perfect. Unfortunately it's never done it again since. It has
    > also never done it ever with Mandriva.
    > OK I'll Google a fix. Lots and lots of command line ways to achieve my
    > end, and I've tried so many of them my head is
    > spinning...permissions...mounting/unmounting...attached folders etc.
    > None have worked ever, and each helpful person gives different code to
    > the last one..!
    >
    > You see it's that 5% that will never allow mum & dad access to these
    > OS's.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking any Linux distro, I am sure they
    > are fantastic at what they do, but per-lease, don't pretend the public
    > will ever take them up.
    >
    > So why bother with a GUI? Pure deception if you ask me. Leave it all on
    > the terminal and let the code boys have their fun. Just stop pretending
    > it will compete with Windows.
    >
    > I can easily play a CD under DOS...Windows...OS/2...eCS...you name it,
    > but Linux?
    >
    > I hope the people who sell these distros pre-installed onto laptops
    > point this out to their prospective buyers? They could be very pissed
    > off, otherwise.
    >
    > regards

    Interesting because this install of Ubuntu 8.04 required NO command
    lines. None. Zilch. I set the whole thing up using the GUI.

    Alias

  6. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    Julian Cann illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I can easily play a CD under DOS...Windows...OS/2...eCS...you name it,
    > but Linux?

    No problems playing CD's here. I haven't tweaked anything at all
    regarding CD playback in the commandline.

    What have you done in your GUI to break it?

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  7. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Julian Cann wrote:
    > > Complete and Utter Drivel.

    > You get about a 1/2 on the troll meter.

    Some people see a troll behind every bush. Troll mania or something.

    What you are describing as complete and utter drivel are the expressed
    concerns by a self-proclaimed newbie who likes linux and has some
    believable experience with trouble who is of the opinion that installing
    and configuring linux distros may require more than 'simple' GUI interface
    configurations.

    Most experienced linux users would agree that command line and text file
    configurations which are not performed with a GUI are a valuable asset in
    the management of solving some linux problems. You should saying that all
    linux configurations can be easily accomplished with a GUI. Some
    experienced linux gurus who can solve any kind of configuration problem
    imaginable don't know how to configure some particular issue with a GUI
    and will provide a simple commandline to solve some problem.

    Saying, 'you must be a troll; I'm an experienced linux user and I've set
    up systems for those who don't know how to set up an operating system and
    its apps and those systems and users I've set up don't have any trouble
    with what I've set up.' ... is not actually addressing the issues which
    were brought up.

    Here's the wiki's definition of an internet/usenet troll
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

    --
    Mike Easter

  8. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    I am a command line aficionado, but I agree with the OP.

    Lately I have been observing too much feature chasing, and not enough
    care about stability.

  9. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > You should saying
    > that all linux configurations can be easily accomplished with a GUI.

    s/should/seem to be/

    .... so, fixing the end of that par...

    You seem to be saying that all linux configurations can be easily
    accomplished with a GUI. Some
    experienced linux gurus who can solve any kind of configuration problem
    imaginable don't know how to configure some particular issue with a GUI
    and will provide a simple commandline to solve some problem.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:29:36 +1000, Julian Cann wrote:

    > Whenever I read a Linux newbie (like me) complain about the need to use
    > command line, every man and his dog comes out of the woodwork to say how
    > secure the system is and how they must learn how it all works in order
    > to run it properly.
    > Now I really believe that this is true. I also believe that this is just
    > fine, and suits many people who love to get down and dirty with there
    > Op. Sys. and learn a huge amount of code.
    >
    > I guess I take issue with the development of fancy GUI's and the
    > pretence that these distros can actually be used by mum and dad. At
    > first sight they appear to be as user friendly as that "other" OS, but
    > in reality are never going to tread that territory.
    >
    > Giving people 95% GUI is worse than giving them none, because it can
    > still only be functional if you are a command line aficionado, and want
    > to learn a whole new language.
    >
    > Like many Windows people I have become curious about the Linux
    > phenomenon and have spent weeks with first Ubuntu 7.10/8.04, and more
    > recently Mandriva 2008...both running under VirtualBox. They install
    > beautifully and look fantastic. Internet configs itself, email is a
    > breeze...hey this is really cool.
    >
    > Then I try to play an audio CD...!
    >
    > Initially Ubuntu popped it onto the desktop and fired up a CD
    > player...perfect. Unfortunately it's never done it again since. It has
    > also never done it ever with Mandriva. OK I'll Google a fix. Lots and
    > lots of command line ways to achieve my end, and I've tried so many of
    > them my head is spinning...permissions...mounting/unmounting...attached
    > folders etc. None have worked ever, and each helpful person gives
    > different code to the last one..!
    >
    > You see it's that 5% that will never allow mum & dad access to these
    > OS's.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking any Linux distro, I am sure they
    > are fantastic at what they do, but per-lease, don't pretend the public
    > will ever take them up.
    >
    > So why bother with a GUI? Pure deception if you ask me. Leave it all on
    > the terminal and let the code boys have their fun. Just stop pretending
    > it will compete with Windows.
    >
    > I can easily play a CD under DOS...Windows...OS/2...eCS...you name it,
    > but Linux?
    >
    > I hope the people who sell these distros pre-installed onto laptops
    > point this out to their prospective buyers? They could be very pissed
    > off, otherwise.
    >
    > regards

    I seldom reply to comments such as these but here are my two cents.

    I currently use kubuntu hardy on the computer I use most. I've used
    Linux since about 2000 and kubuntu so far is the best and easiest I've
    used. At this household we use Linux and Mac. My wife can use any
    of the major os's if I'm there as a support person. On the other hand
    if something doesn't work the way it should she is lost on any of them.

    I think most people would be better off with a computer appliance where
    you just use it and don't change anything and software is hardwired.
    I can screw around with the gui endlessly just in the same manner my
    dad would putter around in his workshop in the garage but I don't
    recommend it to anyone anymore. If anyone asks I recommend Mac and
    they still buy Windows. If someone has an interest in computers and
    some knowledge I would recommend Linux but I don't run into many that
    do.

    bob

  11. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    Mum, Dad, Sis, Bro, Auntie, Uncle, Gramma, Grampa, Oh Hell no relatives or
    non relatives will ever use Upyourbuttoo becuase it's made for the basement
    marturbator boys.

    "Julian Cann" wrote in message
    news:MPG.22cb3f5f7a5c879c9896b0@news.motzarella.or g...
    > Whenever I read a Linux newbie (like me) complain about the need to use
    > command line, every man and his dog comes out of the woodwork to say how
    > secure the system is and how they must learn how it all works in order
    > to run it properly.
    > Now I really believe that this is true.
    > I also believe that this is just fine, and suits many people who love to
    > get down and dirty with there Op. Sys. and learn a huge amount of code.
    >
    > I guess I take issue with the development of fancy GUI's and the
    > pretence that these distros can actually be used by mum and dad. At
    > first sight they appear to be as user friendly as that "other" OS, but
    > in reality are never going to tread that territory.
    >
    > Giving people 95% GUI is worse than giving them none, because it can
    > still only be functional if you are a command line aficionado, and want
    > to learn a whole new language.
    >
    > Like many Windows people I have become curious about the Linux
    > phenomenon and have spent weeks with first Ubuntu 7.10/8.04, and more
    > recently Mandriva 2008...both running under VirtualBox.
    > They install beautifully and look fantastic. Internet configs itself,
    > email is a breeze...hey this is really cool.
    >
    > Then I try to play an audio CD...!
    >
    > Initially Ubuntu popped it onto the desktop and fired up a CD
    > player...perfect. Unfortunately it's never done it again since. It has
    > also never done it ever with Mandriva.
    > OK I'll Google a fix. Lots and lots of command line ways to achieve my
    > end, and I've tried so many of them my head is
    > spinning...permissions...mounting/unmounting...attached folders etc.
    > None have worked ever, and each helpful person gives different code to
    > the last one..!
    >
    > You see it's that 5% that will never allow mum & dad access to these
    > OS's.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking any Linux distro, I am sure they
    > are fantastic at what they do, but per-lease, don't pretend the public
    > will ever take them up.
    >
    > So why bother with a GUI? Pure deception if you ask me. Leave it all on
    > the terminal and let the code boys have their fun. Just stop pretending
    > it will compete with Windows.
    >
    > I can easily play a CD under DOS...Windows...OS/2...eCS...you name it,
    > but Linux?
    >
    > I hope the people who sell these distros pre-installed onto laptops
    > point this out to their prospective buyers? They could be very pissed
    > off, otherwise.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > --
    > Jules
    > Brisbane, Australia

  12. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    WhoKnew wrote:
    > Mum, Dad, Sis, Bro, Auntie, Uncle, Gramma, Grampa, Oh Hell no relatives or
    > non relatives will ever use Upyourbuttoo becuase it's made for the basement
    > marturbator boys.

    Let's see, I'm a grand dad and a dad and it's been a looooooooong time
    since I was a boy and there is no basement where I live. I guess you can
    cry now that your stereotype has been destroyed.

    Alias

    > "Julian Cann" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.22cb3f5f7a5c879c9896b0@news.motzarella.or g...
    >> Whenever I read a Linux newbie (like me) complain about the need to use
    >> command line, every man and his dog comes out of the woodwork to say how
    >> secure the system is and how they must learn how it all works in order
    >> to run it properly.
    >> Now I really believe that this is true.
    >> I also believe that this is just fine, and suits many people who love to
    >> get down and dirty with there Op. Sys. and learn a huge amount of code.
    >>
    >> I guess I take issue with the development of fancy GUI's and the
    >> pretence that these distros can actually be used by mum and dad. At
    >> first sight they appear to be as user friendly as that "other" OS, but
    >> in reality are never going to tread that territory.
    >>
    >> Giving people 95% GUI is worse than giving them none, because it can
    >> still only be functional if you are a command line aficionado, and want
    >> to learn a whole new language.
    >>
    >> Like many Windows people I have become curious about the Linux
    >> phenomenon and have spent weeks with first Ubuntu 7.10/8.04, and more
    >> recently Mandriva 2008...both running under VirtualBox.
    >> They install beautifully and look fantastic. Internet configs itself,
    >> email is a breeze...hey this is really cool.
    >>
    >> Then I try to play an audio CD...!
    >>
    >> Initially Ubuntu popped it onto the desktop and fired up a CD
    >> player...perfect. Unfortunately it's never done it again since. It has
    >> also never done it ever with Mandriva.
    >> OK I'll Google a fix. Lots and lots of command line ways to achieve my
    >> end, and I've tried so many of them my head is
    >> spinning...permissions...mounting/unmounting...attached folders etc.
    >> None have worked ever, and each helpful person gives different code to
    >> the last one..!
    >>
    >> You see it's that 5% that will never allow mum & dad access to these
    >> OS's.
    >>
    >> Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking any Linux distro, I am sure they
    >> are fantastic at what they do, but per-lease, don't pretend the public
    >> will ever take them up.
    >>
    >> So why bother with a GUI? Pure deception if you ask me. Leave it all on
    >> the terminal and let the code boys have their fun. Just stop pretending
    >> it will compete with Windows.
    >>
    >> I can easily play a CD under DOS...Windows...OS/2...eCS...you name it,
    >> but Linux?
    >>
    >> I hope the people who sell these distros pre-installed onto laptops
    >> point this out to their prospective buyers? They could be very pissed
    >> off, otherwise.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jules
    >> Brisbane, Australia

  13. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    And you are a known liar so nothings been destroyed you turd gurgling piece
    of garbage linsux user

    "Alias" wrote in message
> [...]

    >>> None have worked ever, and each helpful person gives different code to
    >>> the last one..!
    >>>
    >>> You see it's that 5% that will never allow mum & dad access to these
    >>> OS's.
    >>>
    >>> Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking any Linux distro, I am sure they
    >>> are fantastic at what they do, but per-lease, don't pretend the public
    >>> will ever take them up.
    >>>
    >>> So why bother with a GUI? Pure deception if you ask me. Leave it all on
    >>> the terminal and let the code boys have their fun. Just stop pretending
    >>> it will compete with Windows.
    >>>
    >>> I can easily play a CD under DOS...Windows...OS/2...eCS...you name it,
    >>> but Linux?
    >>>
    >>> I hope the people who sell these distros pre-installed onto laptops
    >>> point this out to their prospective buyers? They could be very pissed

  14. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:48:39 +0000, WhoKnew wrote:

    > Mum, Dad, Sis, Bro, Auntie, Uncle, Gramma, Grampa, Oh Hell no relatives
    > or non relatives will ever use Upyourbuttoo becuase it's made for the
    > basement marturbator boys.

    If you are going to try and be abusive, please spell the words properly
    or people will laugh at you - like they are now.

    BTW, why are you so down on your family?

  15. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    On Tuesday 24 Jun 2008 08:36 johnny bobby bee licked a pencil and jotted:

    > Julian Cann wrote:
    > > Complete and Utter Drivel.

    > You get about a 1/2 on the troll meter.
    >
    > My parents (both in their 60s) use a Linux PC I set up for them. Not one
    > problem in 2 years.

    Now, see there is a perfect opportunity to be properly rude and you don't
    let rip nearly enough.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  16. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    Ignoramus19021 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I am a command line aficionado, but I agree with the OP.

    Hmmm

    > Lately I have been observing too much feature chasing, and not enough
    > care about stability.

    Care to offer a few pointers?

    Are you trying to tell me you are struggling to run an Audio CD from
    Ubuntu too? Do you think that is "feature chasing"?

    You seem to have one hell of a chip on your shoulder about something?

    I'm surprised you didn't tell the OP to enable his root account.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  17. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:16:15 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Ignoramus19021 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I am a command line aficionado, but I agree with the OP.

    > Hmmm
    >
    >> Lately I have been observing too much feature chasing, and not enough
    >> care about stability.

    > Care to offer a few pointers?
    >
    > Are you trying to tell me you are struggling to run an Audio CD from
    > Ubuntu too? Do you think that is "feature chasing"?
    >
    > You seem to have one hell of a chip on your shoulder about something?

    Chip on HIS shoulder?

    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the IRONY!!!!!!!!!!

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, May 2008
    COOSN-266-06-25794

  18. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/fedora/+bug/203537

    > Are you trying to tell me you are struggling to run an Audio CD from
    > Ubuntu too? Do you think that is "feature chasing"?

    I do not normally use CDs and DVDs. I will try inserting a DVD into my
    laptop later tonight to see if it works.

    Yesterday, I spent 10 minutes yesterday trying to kill runaway Compiz.

    > You seem to have one hell of a chip on your shoulder about something?
    >
    > I'm surprised you didn't tell the OP to enable his root account.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  19. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    Meat Plow illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:16:15 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus19021 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I am a command line aficionado, but I agree with the OP.

    >> Hmmm
    >>
    >>> Lately I have been observing too much feature chasing, and not enough
    >>> care about stability.

    >> Care to offer a few pointers?
    >>
    >> Are you trying to tell me you are struggling to run an Audio CD from
    >> Ubuntu too? Do you think that is "feature chasing"?
    >>
    >> You seem to have one hell of a chip on your shoulder about something?

    > Chip on HIS shoulder?
    >
    > ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the IRONY!!!!!!!!!!

    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  20. Re: Mum & Dad will never use a Linux machine

    Ignoramus19021 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-06-24, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus19021 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I am a command line aficionado, but I agree with the OP.

    >> Hmmm
    >>
    >>> Lately I have been observing too much feature chasing, and not enough
    >>> care about stability.

    >> Care to offer a few pointers?

    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/fedora/+bug/203537

    And? How does that actually relate directly to Ubuntu.

    We've discussed this one previously and you've been told that it all
    points to the BIOS. This is generally closed software/hardware that
    the Kernel team or Distro maintainers cannot second guess.

    With all respect to developers of either distro your bug-report landed
    in (Fedora and Ubuntu), how are they supposed to combat it?

    Who produces the BIOS? You could possibly inform them of the issue and
    see if they feel like they can allocate some resources to solving the
    issue by allocating either the code or some help to the Linux
    Community.

    >> Are you trying to tell me you are struggling to run an Audio CD from
    >> Ubuntu too? Do you think that is "feature chasing"?

    > I do not normally use CDs and DVDs. I will try inserting a DVD into my
    > laptop later tonight to see if it works.

    It was a CD.
    A movie file will need to download proprietory software. As you well
    know.

    Let's not get into the reasons why this software is not installed as
    default. You know them as well as anyone else.

    > Yesterday, I spent 10 minutes yesterday trying to kill runaway Compiz.

    Don't run compiz then.