easy way to install ATI driver? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on easy way to install ATI driver? - Ubuntu ; Is there an easy way for a complete novice to install the Linux ATI video driver in Ubuntu 8.04? Alan -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. ** Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and ...

  1. easy way to install ATI driver?

    Is there an easy way for a complete novice to install the Linux ATI video
    driver in Ubuntu 8.04?

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.2R

  2. Re: easy way to install ATI driver?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:44:48 -0400, nobody wrote:

    > Is there an easy way for a complete novice to install the Linux ATI video
    > driver in Ubuntu 8.04?

    Yes, go to: System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers, tick the box
    next to ATI Driver. Be connected to t'internet when you do so it actually
    downloads it.

    The other way is to run Envy, you might need to install that first though.

    --
    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into mordor!

  3. Re: easy way to install ATI driver?

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > Is there an easy way for a complete novice to install the Linux ATI video
    > driver in Ubuntu 8.04?
    >

    > Alan

    Envy

  4. Re: easy way to install ATI driver?

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:44:48 -0400, nobody wrote:
    >
    >> Is there an easy way for a complete novice to install the Linux ATI video
    >> driver in Ubuntu 8.04?

    > Yes, go to: System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers, tick the box
    > next to ATI Driver. Be connected to t'internet when you do so it actually
    > downloads it...

    Don't know why, I assumed the OP already went there without luck...

  5. Re: easy way to install ATI driver?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:44:48 -0400, nobody wrote:

    > Is there an easy way for a complete novice to install the Linux ATI
    > video driver in Ubuntu 8.04?
    >

    > Alan

    The correct answer would depend of the precise question, since there are
    3 different Linux ATI drivers in existence.

    1. There is a proprietary driver by ATI (this one that was suggested to
    you up front by other folks). It provides a good 3D acceleration support
    but needs to be tweaked for this, and this is not an easy process.

    Plus it is still buggy. The final result would ultimately depend not only
    of your particular card model but of the hardware combination of yours.
    Like motherboard, etc. You can run into problems with it easily, like I
    did.

    My card is ATI Radeon 9550 and mobo is Asus P4PE. Whatever I did trying
    to configure the proprietary driver (fglx) it kept freezing my system on
    each log off or switching a user attempt. Then I found that this is a
    known and experienced by many users problem. There is a bug reported
    about this issue. And I do suspect that that was a mobo/ATI card
    combination problem.

    2. The second is xserver-xorg-video-ati "radeon" driver. It is an Open
    Source driver. It is quite mature, very stable and provides 3D
    acceleration support for quite a wide range of ATI card models. Check it
    here:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

    3. The third one is also Open Source driver and is called "radeonhd" as
    opposed to just "radeon" listed above.

    I could be mistaken here but it is still in early stages and does not
    have 3D support yet.

    Both of the Open Source drivers are well supported by ATI itself. I
    personally use #2, that is "radeon" driver. And I'm very happy with it.

    So, it's up to you to make your bid now. :-)

  6. Re: easy way to install ATI driver?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:53:10 -0700, clay wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:44:48 -0400, nobody wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there an easy way for a complete novice to install the Linux ATI video
    >>> driver in Ubuntu 8.04?

    >> Yes, go to: System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers, tick the box
    >> next to ATI Driver. Be connected to t'internet when you do so it actually
    >> downloads it...

    > Don't know why, I assumed the OP already went there without luck...

    You know what "assume" does? ;-)

    --
    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into mordor!

  7. Re: easy way to install ATI driver?

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > Is there an easy way for a complete novice to install the Linux ATI video
    > driver in Ubuntu 8.04?
    >

    > Alan

    I did this just yesterday. I have the most recent ATI, drivers released
    18th June, you can find them on their website. Everything seems to work
    flawlessly. I used this:

    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

    follow instructions for "Method 2"

    Regards
    Giuseppe

  8. Re: easy way to install ATI driver?

    nobody@junk.min.net illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Is there an easy way for a complete novice to install the Linux ATI video
    > driver in Ubuntu 8.04?

    Yes.

    System -> Adminstration -> Hardware Drivers

    Place a tick in the corresponding ATI Driver box.

    You will then need to log out and in again.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  9. Re: easy way to install ATI driver?

    On 2008-06-24, Vitorio Okio wrote:

    > Both of the Open Source drivers are well supported by ATI itself. I
    > personally use #2, that is "radeon" driver. And I'm very happy with it.

    I was using that one too (on Debian Lenny), but it didn't correctly
    manage my tty 1 to 6. Whenever I tried to switch to one of the tty
    text only screens my monitor displayed a "no signal" message. The tty
    itself worked; I just couldn't see it. Does this work for you? My
    resolution is 1440x900.

    Anyway, this forced me to use the closed fglrx driver, which handles
    the tty text only screens just fine.

    Mvg,
    Tommy
    --
    To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's
    problems.

  10. Re: easy way to install ATI driver?

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:59:34 +0000, TomB wrote:

    > On 2008-06-24, Vitorio Okio wrote:
    >
    >> Both of the Open Source drivers are well supported by ATI itself. I
    >> personally use #2, that is "radeon" driver. And I'm very happy with
    >> it.

    > I was using that one too (on Debian Lenny), but it didn't correctly
    > manage my tty 1 to 6. Whenever I tried to switch to one of the tty text
    > only screens my monitor displayed a "no signal" message. The tty itself
    > worked; I just couldn't see it. Does this work for you? My resolution is
    > 1440x900.
    >
    > Anyway, this forced me to use the closed fglrx driver, which handles the
    > tty text only screens just fine.

    I've just tried switching between tty-s and it did it flawlessly. Then I
    returned to X without any problems as well.

    My resolution is 1280x1024. It's native resolution form my 19'' ViewSonic.

+ Reply to Thread