mouse runs away - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on mouse runs away - Ubuntu ; Well, the pointer on the screen actually. I've had this problem with Windows for years. The pointer will suddenly disappear from where I have it and show up in either the top or bottom left. It's such a pain in ...

  1. mouse runs away

    Well, the pointer on the screen actually.

    I've had this problem with Windows for years. The pointer will
    suddenly disappear from where I have it and show up in either the top
    or bottom left. It's such a pain in the middle of games like Unreal
    Tournament, when I'm in a firefight and suddenly find myself spinning
    and staring at the ceiling or the floor.

    I thought it might be because I use a Logitech mouse, and Bill wants
    everyone to buy his mice. But then I wondered if it might be a trojan
    or virus running some other program through the start menu.

    But now it's happening on Ubuntu 8.04. And everyone knows Linux
    doesn't get trojans or viruses.

    Anybody got any ideas or heard of this problem?

  2. Re: mouse runs away

    You need to use 'cat' to catch your mouse:

    cat /dev/mouse

    just kidding

  3. Re: mouse runs away

    Todd wrote:
    > Well, the pointer on the screen actually.
    >
    > I've had this problem with Windows for years. The pointer will
    > suddenly disappear from where I have it and show up in either the top
    > or bottom left. It's such a pain in the middle of games like Unreal
    > Tournament, when I'm in a firefight and suddenly find myself spinning
    > and staring at the ceiling or the floor.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I use a Logitech mouse, and Bill wants
    > everyone to buy his mice. But then I wondered if it might be a trojan
    > or virus running some other program through the start menu.
    >
    > But now it's happening on Ubuntu 8.04. And everyone knows Linux
    > doesn't get trojans or viruses.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas or heard of this problem?

    I've concluded the system (video) hangs momentarily, the mouse movement
    is cached, then when the system wakes up the mouse reappears wherever
    you've moved it to.
    Very apparent when running heavy apps like video rendering and/or
    unraring that buries the CPU. Need real patients when actually trying to
    click on something.

  4. Re: mouse runs away

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:21:58 -0700
    Todd wrote:

    > Well, the pointer on the screen actually.
    >
    > I've had this problem with Windows for years. The pointer will
    > suddenly disappear from where I have it and show up in either the top
    > or bottom left. It's such a pain in the middle of games like Unreal
    > Tournament, when I'm in a firefight and suddenly find myself spinning
    > and staring at the ceiling or the floor.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I use a Logitech mouse, and Bill wants
    > everyone to buy his mice. But then I wondered if it might be a trojan
    > or virus running some other program through the start menu.
    >
    > But now it's happening on Ubuntu 8.04. And everyone knows Linux
    > doesn't get trojans or viruses.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas or heard of this problem?

    I see this too, with a cheap optical Logitech mouse on Ubuntu. Every
    once in a while, the cursor "jumps". It doesn't happen very often.

    I blamed the cheap mouse. It doesn't seem to happen with other ones.
    Otherwise it works fine though.

    --
    Was ist ist, was nicht ist ist moeglich

  5. Re: mouse runs away

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:21:58 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > Well, the pointer on the screen actually.
    >
    > I've had this problem with Windows for years. The pointer will suddenly
    > disappear from where I have it and show up in either the top or bottom
    > left. It's such a pain in the middle of games like Unreal Tournament,
    > when I'm in a firefight and suddenly find myself spinning and staring at
    > the ceiling or the floor.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I use a Logitech mouse, and Bill wants
    > everyone to buy his mice. But then I wondered if it might be a trojan or
    > virus running some other program through the start menu.
    >
    > But now it's happening on Ubuntu 8.04. And everyone knows Linux doesn't
    > get trojans or viruses.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas or heard of this problem?

    You've got a bad mouse or something is interfering with the signal. There
    are several electronic computer and home use devices that can interfere
    with the radio signal from the mouse to its receiver. Cordless phones,
    cell phones, other cordless stuff, even your PC can emit spurious radio
    frequencies that can interfere with your mouse. I suppose if you had the
    right mouse even bad wiring or things like a light dimmer could also
    interfere. Start moving some of the obvious things around and see what
    happens. Move the receiver closer to the mouse. Buy a new mouse. Trade it
    to a friend.

  6. Re: mouse runs away

    Todd wrote:
    > Well, the pointer on the screen actually.
    >
    > I've had this problem with Windows for years. The pointer will
    > suddenly disappear from where I have it and show up in either the top
    > or bottom left. It's such a pain in the middle of games like Unreal
    > Tournament, when I'm in a firefight and suddenly find myself spinning
    > and staring at the ceiling or the floor.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I use a Logitech mouse, and Bill wants
    > everyone to buy his mice. But then I wondered if it might be a trojan
    > or virus running some other program through the start menu.
    >
    > But now it's happening on Ubuntu 8.04. And everyone knows Linux
    > doesn't get trojans or viruses.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas or heard of this problem?

    Replace the mouse.

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  7. Re: mouse runs away

    Todd schreef:
    > Well, the pointer on the screen actually.
    >
    > I've had this problem with Windows for years. The pointer will
    > suddenly disappear from where I have it and show up in either the top
    > or bottom left. It's such a pain in the middle of games like Unreal
    > Tournament, when I'm in a firefight and suddenly find myself spinning
    > and staring at the ceiling or the floor.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I use a Logitech mouse, and Bill wants
    > everyone to buy his mice. But then I wondered if it might be a trojan
    > or virus running some other program through the start menu.
    >
    > But now it's happening on Ubuntu 8.04. And everyone knows Linux
    > doesn't get trojans or viruses.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas or heard of this problem?

    With an optical mouse this is a very common problem caused by dirt on
    the LED's and/or a too shiny mouse mat.

    Start by cleaning the mouse and try with a piece of regular printer
    paper for mouse mat.

  8. Re: mouse runs away

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:21:58 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > Well, the pointer on the screen actually.
    >
    > I've had this problem with Windows for years. The pointer will suddenly
    > disappear from where I have it and show up in either the top or bottom
    > left. It's such a pain in the middle of games like Unreal Tournament,
    > when I'm in a firefight and suddenly find myself spinning and staring at
    > the ceiling or the floor.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I use a Logitech mouse, and Bill wants
    > everyone to buy his mice. But then I wondered if it might be a trojan
    > or virus running some other program through the start menu.
    >
    > But now it's happening on Ubuntu 8.04. And everyone knows Linux doesn't
    > get trojans or viruses.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas or heard of this problem?

    I've seen it sometimes, I don't think Bill has anything against Logitech,
    AFAIK he rather likes them. Wireless? Low Battery? Otherwise get another
    mouse. Logitech LX7 is rather nice.

    --
    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into mordor!

  9. Re: mouse runs away

    > Well, the pointer on the screen actually.
    >
    > I've had this problem with Windows for years. The pointer will
    > suddenly disappear from where I have it and show up in either the top
    > or bottom left. It's such a pain in the middle of games like Unreal
    > Tournament, when I'm in a firefight and suddenly find myself spinning
    > and staring at the ceiling or the floor.

    I've seen two variations of this problem...

    #1 - Sunlight is hitting the mouse and enough is getting through the
    casing to affect the sensors. Only an issue if it happens when you
    aren't holding the mouse.

    #2 - Bad mouse. We have several optical mice at work that occasionally
    shoot off in one direction. It happens just as the mice are lifted or
    placed down. The light sensor having issues. Our mice arre cheap junk.
    Yours could simply be dust on the lens.

    I'd suggest buying a new mouse someplace with a good return policy. If
    it works, great. If not, return it and keep looking.

    --
    Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80/

    Want a great newsgroup reader that will filter out the flood of
    newgroup spam?
    Try MesNews - http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

    If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!

  10. Re: mouse runs away

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 04:32:59 +0000, Calab wrote:

    > I'd suggest buying a new mouse someplace with a good return policy. If
    > it works, great. If not, return it and keep looking.

    Don't buy it from Dabs then, you open it? you bought it! Doesn't surprise
    me now that they're part of BT.

    --
    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into mordor!

  11. Re: mouse runs away

    Todd wrote:
    > Well, the pointer on the screen actually.
    >
    > I've had this problem with Windows for years. The pointer will
    > suddenly disappear from where I have it and show up in either the top
    > or bottom left. It's such a pain in the middle of games like Unreal
    > Tournament, when I'm in a firefight and suddenly find myself spinning
    > and staring at the ceiling or the floor.
    >
    > I thought it might be because I use a Logitech mouse, and Bill wants
    > everyone to buy his mice. But then I wondered if it might be a trojan
    > or virus running some other program through the start menu.
    >
    > But now it's happening on Ubuntu 8.04. And everyone knows Linux
    > doesn't get trojans or viruses.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas or heard of this problem?

    I had the same problem,..

    stupid me had still plugged in the drawing tablet, with the pen (?) on
    it :'(

+ Reply to Thread