noob question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on noob question - Ubuntu ; I wanna install ubuntu, I've got a c2d cpu, do i install the x386 version or the 64bit version, only reason i ask is the file is name amd64 when i select 64bit. can i install ubuntu to run within ...

  1. noob question

    I wanna install ubuntu, I've got a c2d cpu, do i install the x386 version or
    the 64bit version, only reason i ask is the file is name amd64 when i select
    64bit.

    can i install ubuntu to run within virtual pc, or do i need to have a
    seperate partition?

    TIA

    ALi

  2. Re: noob question

    ALi wrote:
    > I wanna install ubuntu, I've got a c2d cpu, do i install the x386 version or
    > the 64bit version, only reason i ask is the file is name amd64 when i select
    > 64bit.

    You can install the 32bit or the 64bit version. AMD64 and Intel64 are
    supposed to be compatible OSs.

    There may be reasons to run 32bit on a 64bit machine, i.e. better
    driver and other software support.

    > can i install ubuntu to run within virtual pc,

    No, but that's not an Ubuntu question.

    > or do i need to have a
    > seperate partition?

    IMHO you should test using a live cd and then install on one or two
    separate partitions.

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  3. Re: noob question

    On 2008-06-23, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > ALi wrote:
    >> I wanna install ubuntu, I've got a c2d cpu, do i install the x386 version or
    >> the 64bit version, only reason i ask is the file is name amd64 when i select
    >> 64bit.

    > You can install the 32bit or the 64bit version. AMD64 and Intel64 are
    > supposed to be compatible OSs.

    I guess you mean architectures ;-)

    > There may be reasons to run 32bit on a 64bit machine, i.e. better
    > driver and other software support.
    >
    >> can i install ubuntu to run within virtual pc,

    > No, but that's not an Ubuntu question.

    Why not? Ubuntu runs fine in virtualisation software such as VMWare
    and VirtualBox. With wubi he even can install 8.04 as an "application"
    under windows...

    >> or do i need to have a
    >> seperate partition?

    > IMHO you should test using a live cd and then install on one or two
    > separate partitions.

    That's one possibility.

    > HTH,
    > Niklaus

    Mvg,
    Tommy
    --
    Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
    ~ Ralph Wiggum

  4. Re: noob question

    "TomB" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-23, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    >> ALi wrote:
    >>> I wanna install ubuntu, I've got a c2d cpu, do i install the x386
    >>> version or
    >>> the 64bit version, only reason i ask is the file is name amd64 when i
    >>> select
    >>> 64bit.

    >> You can install the 32bit or the 64bit version. AMD64 and Intel64 are
    >> supposed to be compatible OSs.

    > I guess you mean architectures ;-)
    >
    >> There may be reasons to run 32bit on a 64bit machine, i.e. better
    >> driver and other software support.
    >>
    >>> can i install ubuntu to run within virtual pc,

    >> No, but that's not an Ubuntu question.

    > Why not? Ubuntu runs fine in virtualisation software such as VMWare
    > and VirtualBox. With wubi he even can install 8.04 as an "application"
    > under windows...
    >
    >>> or do i need to have a
    >>> seperate partition?

    >> IMHO you should test using a live cd and then install on one or two
    >> separate partitions.

    > That's one possibility.
    >
    >> HTH,
    >> Niklaus

    > Mvg,
    > Tommy
    > --
    > Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
    > ~ Ralph Wiggum

    thanks for your help

  5. Re: noob question

    TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-06-23, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > > ALi wrote:
    > >> I wanna install ubuntu, I've got a c2d cpu, do i install the x386 version or
    > >> the 64bit version, only reason i ask is the file is name amd64 when i select
    > >> 64bit.

    > > You can install the 32bit or the 64bit version. AMD64 and Intel64 are
    > > supposed to be compatible OSs.

    > I guess you mean architectures ;-)

    Probably. :-/

    > >> can i install ubuntu to run within virtual pc,

    > > No, but that's not an Ubuntu question.

    > Why not? Ubuntu runs fine in virtualisation software such as VMWare
    > and VirtualBox. With wubi he even can install 8.04 as an "application"
    > under windows...

    You may be right again. Virtual PC does not support Linux but
    it kind of works.

    --
    Niklaus

  6. Re: noob question

    On 2008-06-23, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > TomB wrote:

    >> > No, but that's not an Ubuntu question.

    >> Why not? Ubuntu runs fine in virtualisation software such as VMWare
    >> and VirtualBox. With wubi he even can install 8.04 as an "application"
    >> under windows...

    > You may be right again. Virtual PC does not support Linux but
    > it kind of works.

    Or possibly I may have to apologise myself for not knowing that Virtual
    PC actually *is* a program.

    Mvg,
    Tommy
    --
    Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with
    the seat missing, but it hurts.

  7. Re: noob question

    TomB wrote:

    > Or possibly I may have to apologise myself for not knowing that Virtual
    > PC actually *is* a program.

    No problem. There's a "noob" in all of us.

    mfg,
    Niklaus

  8. Re: noob question

    On 2008-06-23, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > TomB wrote:
    >>
    >> Or possibly I may have to apologise myself for not knowing that Virtual
    >> PC actually *is* a program.

    > No problem. There's a "noob" in all of us.
    >
    > mfg,
    > Niklaus

    Ieuwww, get it out of me!!!

    Mvg,
    Tommy
    --
    Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple
    of trees stuck in it.

  9. Re: noob question

    TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-06-23, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > >
    > > No problem. There's a "noob" in all of us.
    > >
    > > mfg,
    > > Niklaus

    > Ieuwww, get it out of me!!!

    *lol* No way. But remember, there's always someone noobier than
    yourself. ;-)

    Cheers,
    Niklaus

  10. Re: noob question

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:27:50 +0000, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:

    > TomB wrote:
    >> On 2008-06-23, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    >> >
    >> > No problem. There's a "noob" in all of us.
    >> >
    >> > mfg,
    >> > Niklaus

    >> Ieuwww, get it out of me!!!

    > *lol* No way. But remember, there's always someone noobier than
    > yourself. ;-)

    Dan C will be along in a moment to point them out and tell them to bugger
    off ;-)

    --
    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into mordor!

  11. Re: noob question

    On 2008-06-23, Trevor Best wrote:

    Love your sig line:

    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into
    mordor!

    Perhaps you need to install the mordor daemon?

    Andrew
    --
    Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  12. Re: noob question

    On 2008-06-23, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > ALi wrote:

    >> can i install ubuntu to run within virtual pc,

    > No, but that's not an Ubuntu question.

    I would say the answer is yes.

    However, installing onto a seperate partition is probably easier to do for
    starters

+ Reply to Thread