minimalist sendmail install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on minimalist sendmail install - Ubuntu ; Hi. I share a couple of shell accounts, and send mail from whatever office I'm at by preparing each message beforehand as a textfile with the headers: From, To, Cc, Bcc, Subject and sending it: sendmail -t At home I ...

  1. minimalist sendmail install

    Hi. I share a couple of shell accounts, and send mail from whatever
    office I'm at by preparing each message beforehand as a textfile with
    the headers: From, To, Cc, Bcc, Subject
    and sending it: sendmail -t
    At home I have ubuntu 7.1 and it doesn't come with sendmail. I'd like
    to install the minimal necessary portion of sendmail so that I can
    send email this same way. N.B. I won't be using sendmail for anything
    else from this pc apart from the above usage.

    Could someone point to the downloads I'd need to accomplish this
    function without going for the full install?

  2. Re: minimalist sendmail install

    John Savage wrote:
    > Hi. I share a couple of shell accounts, and send mail from whatever
    > office I'm at by preparing each message beforehand as a textfile with
    > the headers: From, To, Cc, Bcc, Subject
    > and sending it: sendmail -t

    > At home I have ubuntu 7.1

    7.10?

    > and it doesn't come with sendmail.

    Yes, it does.

    --
    Niklaus

  3. Re: minimalist sendmail install

    In Mon, 23 Jun 2008 09:51:41, John Savage wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > Hi. I share a couple of shell accounts, and send mail from whatever
    > office I'm at by preparing each message beforehand as a textfile with
    > the headers: From, To, Cc, Bcc, Subject
    > and sending it: sendmail -t >
    > At home I have ubuntu 7.1 and it doesn't come with sendmail. I'd like
    > to install the minimal necessary portion of sendmail so that I can
    > send email this same way. N.B. I won't be using sendmail for anything
    > else from this pc apart from the above usage.
    >
    > Could someone point to the downloads I'd need to accomplish this
    > function without going for the full install?

    I use exim that can be configured to be as minimal (or as
    comprehensive) as needed... and it has a pretty neat documentation
    too.

    http://www.exim.org/

    $ sudo apt-get install exim4
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

    Saludos,
    AHG
    --
    "Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, and a dark side,
    and it holds the universe together..."

  4. Re: minimalist sendmail install

    On 2008-06-23, John Savage wrote:

    > At home I have ubuntu 7.1 and it doesn't come with sendmail. I'd like
    > to install the minimal necessary portion of sendmail so that I can
    > send email this same way. N.B. I won't be using sendmail for anything
    > else from this pc apart from the above usage.

    Of course sendmail can be installed if you wish but perhaps you could try
    my old friend msmtp?

    Andrew
    --
    Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  5. Re: minimalist sendmail install

    John Savage wrote:
    > Hi. I share a couple of shell accounts, and send mail from whatever
    > office I'm at by preparing each message beforehand as a textfile with
    > the headers: From, To, Cc, Bcc, Subject
    > and sending it: sendmail -t >
    > At home I have ubuntu 7.1 and it doesn't come with sendmail. I'd like
    > to install the minimal necessary portion of sendmail so that I can
    > send email this same way. N.B. I won't be using sendmail for anything
    > else from this pc apart from the above usage.
    >
    > Could someone point to the downloads I'd need to accomplish this
    > function without going for the full install?

    I believe Postfix is the standard default MTA for Ubuntu. It is a
    drop-in replacement for Sendmail, and supposedly easier to configure.

    Debian uses Exim4 as its default install, which may be easier -- or not.
    ;-)

    You could also use the mailx that is included in most any GNU/Linux
    install. Perhaps using the stdin and stdout redirects:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_streams

    --
    John

  6. Re: minimalist sendmail install

    John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > John Savage wrote:
    >> Hi. I share a couple of shell accounts, and send mail from whatever
    >> office I'm at by preparing each message beforehand as a textfile with
    >> the headers: From, To, Cc, Bcc, Subject
    >> and sending it: sendmail -t >>
    >> At home I have ubuntu 7.1 and it doesn't come with sendmail. I'd like
    >> to install the minimal necessary portion of sendmail so that I can
    >> send email this same way. N.B. I won't be using sendmail for anything
    >> else from this pc apart from the above usage.
    >>
    >> Could someone point to the downloads I'd need to accomplish this
    >> function without going for the full install?
    >>

    > I believe Postfix is the standard default MTA for Ubuntu. It is a
    > drop-in replacement for Sendmail, and supposedly easier to configure.
    >
    > Debian uses Exim4 as its default install, which may be easier -- or not.
    > ;-)
    >
    > You could also use the mailx that is included in most any GNU/Linux
    > install. Perhaps using the stdin and stdout redirects:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_streams

    Another alternative?

    Well just in case anyone's interested....
    qmail

    Works well for me on a couple of servers.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  7. Re: minimalist sendmail install

    On 2008-06-23, John Savage wrote:
    > Hi. I share a couple of shell accounts, and send mail from whatever
    > office I'm at by preparing each message beforehand as a textfile with
    > the headers: From, To, Cc, Bcc, Subject
    > and sending it: sendmail -t >
    > At home I have ubuntu 7.1 and it doesn't come with sendmail.

    Actually, it probably does, or if not, you could install it, but it's a
    bitch to configure, and complete overkill for your needs.

    > I'd like
    > to install the minimal necessary portion of sendmail so that I can
    > send email this same way. N.B. I won't be using sendmail for anything
    > else from this pc apart from the above usage.
    >
    > Could someone point to the downloads I'd need to accomplish this
    > function without going for the full install?

    I always use ssmtp. It looks like sendmail so you can still do:

    sendmail -t
    but the configuration is very simple. It's ideal if your ISP provides
    smtp service, as most do. And even if yours doesn't, you can use it
    with e.g. gmail by copying the the config from:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gmail_and_sSMTP

    or look in

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mutt.

    for an even simpler config.

    Sorry. It has no GUI configuration program as far as I know.

    Best of luck.

    Losher

  8. Re: minimalist sendmail install

    On 2008-06-26, Losher Ooka wrote:
    > On 2008-06-23, John Savage wrote:
    >> Hi. I share a couple of shell accounts, and send mail from whatever
    >> office I'm at by preparing each message beforehand as a textfile with
    >> the headers: From, To, Cc, Bcc, Subject
    >> and sending it: sendmail -t >>
    >> At home I have ubuntu 7.1 and it doesn't come with sendmail.

    > Actually, it probably does, or if not, you could install it, but it's a
    > bitch to configure, and complete overkill for your needs.

    Ubuntu comes with sendmail, postfix, and exim4. You can choose which
    one to use. Postfix and exim4 are very easy to use for simple
    configurations. Sendmail is excellent for very complicated setups.
    I use sendmail on my mailservers and postfix on my leaf nodes.

    They all provide a "sendmail" command that would work similarly for
    the simple task like sending email from a file.

    >> I'd like
    >> to install the minimal necessary portion of sendmail so that I can
    >> send email this same way. N.B. I won't be using sendmail for anything
    >> else from this pc apart from the above usage.
    >>
    >> Could someone point to the downloads I'd need to accomplish this
    >> function without going for the full install?

    > I always use ssmtp. It looks like sendmail so you can still do:
    >
    > sendmail -t >
    > but the configuration is very simple. It's ideal if your ISP provides
    > smtp service, as most do. And even if yours doesn't, you can use it
    > with e.g. gmail by copying the the config from:
    >
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gmail_and_sSMTP
    >
    > or look in
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mutt.
    >
    > for an even simpler config.
    >
    > Sorry. It has no GUI configuration program as far as I know.
    >
    > Best of luck.
    >
    > Losher

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: minimalist sendmail install

    Niklaus Kuehnis writes:
    >John Savage wrote:
    >> At home I have ubuntu 7.1

    >7.10?
    >
    >> and it doesn't come with sendmail.

    >Yes, it does.

    $ sendmail
    The program 'sendmail' can be found in the following packages:
    * nbsmtp (You will have to enable component called 'universe')
    * smail (You will have to enable component called 'universe')
    * nullmailer (You will have to enable component called 'universe')
    * exim4-daemon-heavy
    * masqmail (You will have to enable component called 'universe')
    * courier-mta (You will have to enable component called 'universe')
    * msmtp-mta (You will have to enable component called 'universe')
    * esmtp-run (You will have to enable component called 'universe')
    * ssmtp (You will have to enable component called 'universe')
    * sendmail-bin (You will have to enable component called 'universe')
    * xmail (You will have to enable component called 'universe')
    * postfix
    * exim4-daemon-light
    Try: sudo apt-get install
    bash: sendmail: command not found