Acer Travelmate 220: change display brightness? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Acer Travelmate 220: change display brightness? - Ubuntu ; Hello all, I have Kubuntu Hardy here running on an Acer Travelmate 220 laptop (Intel 82830 video card). The brightness keys (Fn+arrow keys) do not work at all, the other Fn keys do. Brightness is set to a very low ...

  1. Acer Travelmate 220: change display brightness?

    Hello all,

    I have Kubuntu Hardy here running on an Acer Travelmate 220 laptop (Intel
    82830 video card). The brightness keys (Fn+arrow keys) do not work at
    all, the other Fn keys do. Brightness is set to a very low level and I
    can't change it (Acer provides a Windows program called Notebook Manager
    to change brightness but nothing for Linux).

    Is there a program or driver that can set the display brightness on this
    laptop? (I do not need the special keys, I just want to change the
    brightness somehow.)

    Thanks
    Patrick

  2. Re: Acer Travelmate 220: change display brightness?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:35:19 +0200, Patrick Schueller wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have Kubuntu Hardy here running on an Acer Travelmate 220 laptop (Intel
    > 82830 video card). The brightness keys (Fn+arrow keys) do not work at all,
    > the other Fn keys do. Brightness is set to a very low level and I can't
    > change it (Acer provides a Windows program called Notebook Manager to
    > change brightness but nothing for Linux).
    >
    > Is there a program or driver that can set the display brightness on this
    > laptop? (I do not need the special keys, I just want to change the
    > brightness somehow.)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Patrick

    In Ubuntu there's a brightness applet you can add to the panel. Right
    click on a panel and select add to panel. I use this applet to control my
    laptop's brightness. Dunno if it's available on kubuntu, though.

  3. Re: Acer Travelmate 220: change display brightness?

    Am Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:07:12 +0100 schrieb Phil Stovell:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:35:19 +0200, Patrick Schueller wrote:

    >> Is there a program or driver that can set the display brightness on
    >> this laptop? (I do not need the special keys, I just want to change the
    >> brightness somehow.)

    > In Ubuntu there's a brightness applet you can add to the panel. Right
    > click on a panel and select add to panel. I use this applet to control
    > my laptop's brightness. Dunno if it's available on kubuntu, though.

    In the previous installation (which I removed due to a completely
    unrelated issue) I had both Gnome and KDE and also tried this applet. The
    brightness control was greyed out however, so I guess there is some sort
    of driver missing.

    Patrick

  4. Re: Acer Travelmate 220: change display brightness?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:33:41 +0200, Patrick Schueller wrote:

    > Am Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:07:12 +0100 schrieb Phil Stovell:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:35:19 +0200, Patrick Schueller wrote:

    >>> Is there a program or driver that can set the display brightness on
    >>> this laptop? (I do not need the special keys, I just want to change the
    >>> brightness somehow.)

    >> In Ubuntu there's a brightness applet you can add to the panel. Right
    >> click on a panel and select add to panel. I use this applet to control
    >> my laptop's brightness. Dunno if it's available on kubuntu, though.

    > In the previous installation (which I removed due to a completely
    > unrelated issue) I had both Gnome and KDE and also tried this applet. The
    > brightness control was greyed out however, so I guess there is some sort
    > of driver missing.
    >
    > Patrick

    Is there a BIOS setting to turn it off/on? The Fn keys work as well as the
    applet on my laptop.

+ Reply to Thread