Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007? - Ubuntu ; I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop. I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at about 3.2 gig. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.

    I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    about 3.2 gig.

    The display is corrupt. It is a mess.

    It takes several minutes to load anyway.

    FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.

    What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?

    FACE

  2. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    > FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    > Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >
    > What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?

    Must you use M$'s emulator?

    VMWare Player is free. And there is also websites like
    EasyVMX to create virtual machine.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.8

  3. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    FACE wrote:
    > I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    > of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >
    > I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    > about 3.2 gig.
    >
    > The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >
    > It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >
    > FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    > Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >
    > What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?
    >
    > FACE

    I also recommend you use vmware as opposed to MSVPC. Not because the
    later is made by Microsoft, but because vmware is actually better (but
    not free).

  4. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:52:37 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, wrtpeeps
    , wrote

    >FACE wrote:
    >> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    >> of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >>
    >> I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    >> about 3.2 gig.
    >>
    >> The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >>
    >> It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >>
    >> FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    >> Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >>
    >> What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?
    >>
    >> FACE
    >>

    >I also recommend you use vmware as opposed to MSVPC. Not because the
    >later is made by Microsoft, but because vmware is actually better (but
    >not free).

    I appreciate both of your opinions. The whole thing is pretty academic
    anyway, since I am not doing this for any profit, but for fun only.

    The web was pretty rife with 'solutions' -- none of which worked in my
    situation. (I did wonder who this "Grub" was who had the command line ID
    in recovery mode, but I convinced the machine that I was "sudo" to
    reconfigure some system files....to no real avail though the desktop
    started out as colorful concentric circles and after some reconfiguring
    was finally capable of deciphering menus on it, though the detail menus
    went off the right side of the screen. :-))

    (Yes, yesterday was the first time that I put fingers to keyboard in a
    Linux product. Starting about 6:30 AM yesterday, by late last night I
    decided that the "gift" of the .iso for Ubuntu 7.10 server was really a
    curse.)

    FACE

  5. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:10:54 -0400, FACE wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:52:37 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, wrtpeeps
    > , wrote
    >
    >>FACE wrote:
    >>> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran
    >>> out of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    >>> about 3.2 gig.
    >>>
    >>> The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >>>
    >>> It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >>>
    >>> FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG
    >>> 3.11, Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >>>
    >>> What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?
    >>>
    >>> FACE
    >>>

    >>I also recommend you use vmware as opposed to MSVPC. Not because the
    >>later is made by Microsoft, but because vmware is actually better (but
    >>not free).

    > I appreciate both of your opinions. The whole thing is pretty academic
    > anyway, since I am not doing this for any profit, but for fun only.
    >
    > The web was pretty rife with 'solutions' -- none of which worked in my
    > situation. (I did wonder who this "Grub" was who had the command line
    > ID in recovery mode, but I convinced the machine that I was "sudo" to
    > reconfigure some system files....to no real avail though the desktop
    > started out as colorful concentric circles and after some reconfiguring
    > was finally capable of deciphering menus on it, though the detail menus
    > went off the right side of the screen. :-))
    >
    > (Yes, yesterday was the first time that I put fingers to keyboard in a
    > Linux product. Starting about 6:30 AM yesterday, by late last night I
    > decided that the "gift" of the .iso for Ubuntu 7.10 server was really a
    > curse.)
    >
    > FACE

    VMware Server is free and much more mature, give it a try. BTW you would
    be much better off running a Windows VM on top of Linux rather then Linux
    on MS. I assume you are using the 32 bit version of XP which can only use
    3.5G of RAM. 64 bit Linux will allow you to use as much RAM as your
    system can hold which is at least 8G assuming that your box uses DDR2.

  6. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    > I also recommend you use vmware as opposed to MSVPC. Not because the
    > later is made by Microsoft, but because vmware is actually better (but
    > not free).

    I only knew VMWare has a longer history than Virtual PC... and
    definitely more feature rich.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.8
    ^ ^ 20:24:01 up 8:49 0 users load average: 1.00 1.01 1.00
    (CSSA):

  7. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On 2008-06-23, wrtpeeps wrote:
    > FACE wrote:
    >> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    >> of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >>
    >> I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    >> about 3.2 gig.
    >>
    >> The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >>
    >> It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >>
    >> FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    >> Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >>
    >> What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?
    >>
    >> FACE
    >>

    > I also recommend you use vmware as opposed to MSVPC. Not because the
    > later is made by Microsoft, but because vmware is actually better (but
    > not free).

    VMWare is absolutely free (as in beer). It is closed-source, and
    requires registration, but does not require you to pay one pretty
    penny.

    And it is light years beyond M$'s crap VM Product.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  8. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:24:25 -0500, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, General
    Schvantzkopf , wrote

    >On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:10:54 -0400, FACE wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:52:37 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, wrtpeeps
    >> , wrote

    >>>I also recommend you use vmware as opposed to MSVPC. Not because the
    >>>later is made by Microsoft, but because vmware is actually better (but
    >>>not free).

    >> I appreciate both of your opinions. The whole thing is pretty academic
    >> anyway, since I am not doing this for any profit, but for fun only.
    >>
    >> The web was pretty rife with 'solutions' -- none of which worked in my
    >> situation. (I did wonder who this "Grub" was who had the command line
    >> ID in recovery mode, but I convinced the machine that I was "sudo" to
    >> reconfigure some system files....to no real avail though the desktop
    >> started out as colorful concentric circles and after some reconfiguring
    >> was finally capable of deciphering menus on it, though the detail menus
    >> went off the right side of the screen. :-))
    >>
    >> (Yes, yesterday was the first time that I put fingers to keyboard in a
    >> Linux product. Starting about 6:30 AM yesterday, by late last night I
    >> decided that the "gift" of the .iso for Ubuntu 7.10 server was really a
    >> curse.)
    >>
    >> FACE

    >VMware Server is free and much more mature, give it a try. BTW you would
    >be much better off running a Windows VM on top of Linux rather then Linux
    >on MS. I assume you are using the 32 bit version of XP which can only use
    >3.5G of RAM. 64 bit Linux will allow you to use as much RAM as your
    >system can hold which is at least 8G assuming that your box uses DDR2.

    Thanks for the info. I am downloading VMWare Player now.

    FACE

  9. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    > VMWare is absolutely free (as in beer). It is closed-source, and
    > requires registration, but does not require you to pay one pretty
    > penny.
    >
    > And it is light years beyond M$'s crap VM Product.

    I am seriously considering to buy it.
    The Linux version, of course.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.8
    ^ ^ 20:57:01 up 9:22 0 users load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
    (CSSA):

  10. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    FACE wrote:

    > (Yes, yesterday was the first time that I put fingers to keyboard in a
    > Linux product. Starting about 6:30 AM yesterday, by late last night I
    > decided that the "gift" of the .iso for Ubuntu 7.10 server was really a
    > curse.)
    >
    > FACE

    Sorry, but Linux isn't supported with VirtualPC. In particular, there is
    nothing like a decent display driver for linux guests, just for windows.
    Same may apply for network interfaces, you may also forget about usb.
    Since vmware does offer a (free as in beer, just "registration") vmware
    server - for windows hosts as well as for linux hosts - supporting almost
    every guest OS, you'd have done better using that one.
    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  11. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    FACE wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:24:25 -0500, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, General
    > Schvantzkopf , wrote
    >
    >> VMware Server is free and much more mature, give it a try. BTW you would
    >> be much better off running a Windows VM on top of Linux rather then Linux
    >> on MS. I assume you are using the 32 bit version of XP which can only use
    >> 3.5G of RAM. 64 bit Linux will allow you to use as much RAM as your
    >> system can hold which is at least 8G assuming that your box uses DDR2.

    > Thanks for the info. I am downloading VMWare Player now.

    Give Virtualbox a try too, it's free and I've heard nothing but good
    things about it. I've not got round to trying it yet but it certainly
    seems to have replaced VMWare as the tool of choice for many.

    --
    [ste]

  12. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:42:37 -0400, FACE wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:24:25 -0500, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, General
    > Schvantzkopf , wrote
    >
    >>On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:10:54 -0400, FACE wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:52:37 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, wrtpeeps
    >>> , wrote

    >>> I appreciate both of your opinions. The whole thing is pretty
    >>> academic anyway, since I am not doing this for any profit, but for fun
    >>> only.
    >>>
    >>> The web was pretty rife with 'solutions' -- none of which worked in my
    >>> situation. (I did wonder who this "Grub" was who had the command line
    >>> ID in recovery mode, but I convinced the machine that I was "sudo" to
    >>> reconfigure some system files....to no real avail though the desktop
    >>> started out as colorful concentric circles and after some
    >>> reconfiguring was finally capable of deciphering menus on it, though
    >>> the detail menus went off the right side of the screen. :-))
    >>>
    >>> (Yes, yesterday was the first time that I put fingers to keyboard in a
    >>> Linux product. Starting about 6:30 AM yesterday, by late last night I
    >>> decided that the "gift" of the .iso for Ubuntu 7.10 server was really
    >>> a curse.)
    >>>
    >>> FACE

    >>VMware Server is free and much more mature, give it a try. BTW you would
    >>be much better off running a Windows VM on top of Linux rather then
    >>Linux on MS. I assume you are using the 32 bit version of XP which can
    >>only use 3.5G of RAM. 64 bit Linux will allow you to use as much RAM as
    >>your system can hold which is at least 8G assuming that your box uses
    >>DDR2.

    > Thanks for the info. I am downloading VMWare Player now.
    >
    > FACE

    You want VMware Server not VMware Player.

  13. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    FACE wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:24:25 -0500, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, General
    > Schvantzkopf , wrote
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:10:54 -0400, FACE wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:52:37 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, wrtpeeps
    >>> , wrote

    >>> I appreciate both of your opinions. The whole thing is pretty academic
    >>> anyway, since I am not doing this for any profit, but for fun only.
    >>>
    >>> The web was pretty rife with 'solutions' -- none of which worked in my
    >>> situation. (I did wonder who this "Grub" was who had the command line
    >>> ID in recovery mode, but I convinced the machine that I was "sudo" to
    >>> reconfigure some system files....to no real avail though the desktop
    >>> started out as colorful concentric circles and after some reconfiguring
    >>> was finally capable of deciphering menus on it, though the detail menus
    >>> went off the right side of the screen. :-))
    >>>
    >>> (Yes, yesterday was the first time that I put fingers to keyboard in a
    >>> Linux product. Starting about 6:30 AM yesterday, by late last night I
    >>> decided that the "gift" of the .iso for Ubuntu 7.10 server was really a
    >>> curse.)
    >>>
    >>> FACE

    >> VMware Server is free and much more mature, give it a try. BTW you would
    >> be much better off running a Windows VM on top of Linux rather then Linux
    >> on MS. I assume you are using the 32 bit version of XP which can only use
    >> 3.5G of RAM. 64 bit Linux will allow you to use as much RAM as your
    >> system can hold which is at least 8G assuming that your box uses DDR2.

    > Thanks for the info. I am downloading VMWare Player now.
    >
    > FACE

    Player only allows you to play vm's that have already been created. So
    you won't be able to set your own one up.

    You want either server or workstation.

  14. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    * Andy wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Player only allows you to play vm's that have already been created. So
    > you won't be able to set your own one up.
    >
    > You want either server or workstation.

    This is not the case.

    www.easyvmx.com

    --
    David

  15. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:58:56 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Andy
    , wrote

    >FACE wrote:
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:24:25 -0500, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, General
    >> Schvantzkopf , wrote

    >>> VMware Server is free and much more mature, give it a try. BTW you would
    >>> be much better off running a Windows VM on top of Linux rather then Linux
    >>> on MS. I assume you are using the 32 bit version of XP which can only use
    >>> 3.5G of RAM. 64 bit Linux will allow you to use as much RAM as your
    >>> system can hold which is at least 8G assuming that your box uses DDR2.

    >> Thanks for the info. I am downloading VMWare Player now.
    >>
    >> FACE
    >>

    >Player only allows you to play vm's that have already been created. So
    >you won't be able to set your own one up.
    >
    >You want either server or workstation.

    Thanks Andy, I am downloading VMWare Server Beta 2.0, rel 2 now.
    I understand that with Player I can use some of the pre-configured
    "appliances" from VMWare -- I got Fedora 9 earlier.

    It also says that the VM's of other products can be run under VMPlayer.
    If that is true, I can create the virtual hard disks under MS VPC and
    maybe with a rename use them under VMware player. but I am not there yet.

    But in any event, with VMWare Server, I will be now covered.

    FACE

  16. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    FACE wrote:
    > I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    > of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >
    > I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    > about 3.2 gig.
    >
    > The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >
    > It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >
    > FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    > Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >
    > What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?

    I'd be surprised if MS VPC 2007 supports anything but another Windows OS.

    BICBW.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  17. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:26:37 -0400, FACE wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:58:56 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Andy
    > , wrote
    >
    >>FACE wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:24:25 -0500, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, General
    >>> Schvantzkopf , wrote

    >>> Thanks for the info. I am downloading VMWare Player now.
    >>>
    >>> FACE
    >>>

    >>Player only allows you to play vm's that have already been created. So
    >>you won't be able to set your own one up.
    >>
    >>You want either server or workstation.

    > Thanks Andy, I am downloading VMWare Server Beta 2.0, rel 2 now. I
    > understand that with Player I can use some of the pre-configured
    > "appliances" from VMWare -- I got Fedora 9 earlier.
    >
    > It also says that the VM's of other products can be run under VMPlayer.
    > If that is true, I can create the virtual hard disks under MS VPC and
    > maybe with a rename use them under VMware player. but I am not there
    > yet.
    >
    > But in any event, with VMWare Server, I will be now covered.
    >
    > FACE

    You can't run an MS VPC under VMware Player. By other VMs they mean other
    VMware VMs. There are a number of VMware products, Server which is free,
    Workstation which costs $189, and an enterprise product. The difference
    between VMware Server and VMware Workstation is that Workstation has
    Shared Folders which allows you to mount a host directory in the guest
    VM. With Server you have to use NFS or SAMBA to access a host directory.
    The Shared Folders are much faster than an NFS mount. Also the virtual IO
    performance of Workstation is much better than the virtual IO performance
    of Server. If all of your disk access is to the virtual disk then you
    won't see any difference in performance between Server and Workstation,
    if you need to access to directories on the host machine then Workstation
    is better.

    Initially you should try Server, you will probably find that it's fast
    enough. However once you are comfortable with VMs you might want to try
    Workstation. There is a 30 day free trial of Workstation so you can
    benchmark it if you you want. However I wouldn't bother until you have
    everything working in Server.

    BTW I don't know if you can migrate a Server 2.0 VM to Workstation, you
    can migrate a Server 1.0.6 VM. Workstation looks like Server 1.x with the
    exception of the addition of Shared Folders and support for 8G VMs,
    Server 1 is limited to 3.6G VMs. Server 2.0 also supports 8G VMs but it
    has a completely different GUI.

  18. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    "FACE" wrote in message
    > I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    > of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >
    > I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    > about 3.2 gig.
    >
    > The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >
    > It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >
    > FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    > Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >
    > What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?
    >
    > FACE

    I have had it working:-

    I followed this provided by a nice man in the vista group.

    On the Ubuntu boot menu, select Start or install Ubuntu and hit F6. Add
    i8042.noloop to the end of the line, and press Enter. This will make
    the mouse work in recent versions of the kernel.

    When Ubuntu boots to the Live CD and XWindows loads, the graphics will
    be... not good. You're going to need to change the color depth to make
    it display correctly. To do that:
    Hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to drop to a console.
    Type sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf and press Enter.
    Press CTRL W, type depth and press Enter. You should see a line that
    says "DefaultDepth 24". Delete 24 and type 16.
    Press CTRL O, and press Enter to save the file.
    Press CTRL X to exit the nano editor.
    Press CTRL-ALT-F7 to switch back to XWindows - that graphics will still
    not be right.
    Press CTRL-ALT-Backspace to reload XWindows. The graphics should be
    good to go now.

    Run the installation like you normally would. When installation is
    complete, Ubuntu will boot, and the video should be correct (it was for
    me - if it's not, repeat the step listed above), but the mouse won't
    work. To fix the mouse in a more permenant manner, we'll need to add a
    kernel parameter to the GRUB loader. Here's how:
    Boot into Ubuntu on the hard drive.
    Hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to drop to a console and log in.
    Type sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    Press CTRL W and type end default options, then press Enter.
    The first entry in the list below is the entry containing the
    information to boot Ubuntu in regular mode. Find the line that starts
    with kernel and go all the way to the end of it. At the end, type
    i8042.noloop, press CTRL O, and press Enter to save.
    At this point, you can do the same with the other entries, like the
    recovery mode one if you care enough to bother. If not, just hit CTRL X
    to exit nano.
    Type sudo reboot to reboot the VM.

    <<<<<

    Ubuntu doesn't recognise the virtual hardware in VPC properly so you have to
    fix it.
    I have not tried in with 804.

  19. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:28:21 -0400, FACE wrote:

    > I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    > of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >
    > I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    > about 3.2 gig.
    >
    > The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >
    > It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >
    > FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    > Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >
    > What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?

    What desktop? Isn't the server version only character based?

    --
    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into mordor!

  20. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:59:57 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu,
    "dennis@home" , wrote

    >"FACE" wrote in message
    >> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    >> of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >>
    >> I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    >> about 3.2 gig.
    >>
    >> The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >>
    >> It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >>
    >> FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    >> Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >>
    >> What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?
    >>
    >> FACE
    >>

    >I have had it working:-
    >
    >I followed this provided by a nice man in the vista group.
    >

    >On the Ubuntu boot menu, select Start or install Ubuntu and hit F6. Add
    >i8042.noloop to the end of the line, and press Enter. This will make
    >the mouse work in recent versions of the kernel.
    >

    >When Ubuntu boots to the Live CD and XWindows loads, the graphics will
    >be... not good. You're going to need to change the color depth to make
    >it display correctly. To do that:
    >Hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to drop to a console.

    This one as not respected.

    >Type sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf and press Enter.

    I got here by restarting and going to the menu and starting server only.

    >Press CTRL W, type depth and press Enter. You should see a line that
    >says "DefaultDepth 24". Delete 24 and type 16.

    "24" was not found, but I did type DefaultDepth 16

    >Press CTRL O, and press Enter to save the file.

    CTRL-O was successful, Enter said no such directory (I rechecked the
    target directories -- they were correct)

    Apparently, my install has serious problems here...........

    But thanks anyway, I am holding onto this..................

    FACE

    >Press CTRL X to exit the nano editor.
    >Press CTRL-ALT-F7 to switch back to XWindows - that graphics will still
    >not be right.
    >Press CTRL-ALT-Backspace to reload XWindows. The graphics should be
    >good to go now.
    >

    >Run the installation like you normally would. When installation is
    >complete, Ubuntu will boot, and the video should be correct (it was for
    >me - if it's not, repeat the step listed above), but the mouse won't
    >work. To fix the mouse in a more permenant manner, we'll need to add a
    >kernel parameter to the GRUB loader. Here's how:
    >Boot into Ubuntu on the hard drive.
    >Hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to drop to a console and log in.
    >Type sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    >Press CTRL W and type end default options, then press Enter.
    >The first entry in the list below is the entry containing the
    >information to boot Ubuntu in regular mode. Find the line that starts
    >with kernel and go all the way to the end of it. At the end, type
    >i8042.noloop, press CTRL O, and press Enter to save.
    >At this point, you can do the same with the other entries, like the
    >recovery mode one if you care enough to bother. If not, just hit CTRL X
    >to exit nano.
    >Type sudo reboot to reboot the VM.
    >

    ><<<<<
    >
    >Ubuntu doesn't recognise the virtual hardware in VPC properly so you have to
    >fix it.
    >I have not tried in with 804.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast