Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007? - Ubuntu ; On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:50:13 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Trevor Best , wrote >On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:28:21 -0400, FACE wrote: > >> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out >> of room ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

  1. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:50:13 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Trevor Best
    , wrote

    >On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:28:21 -0400, FACE wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    >> of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >>
    >> I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    >> about 3.2 gig.
    >>
    >> The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >>
    >> It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >>
    >> FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    >> Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >>
    >> What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?

    >What desktop? Isn't the server version only character based?

    I installed unbuntu 7.10 server.
    I then heard that it had a desktop.
    Using the same iso file as for the server, I entered:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    It went to work and sent the VM size from ~.8 gig (server only)
    to ~3,2 gig (server & desktop + apps on the install .iso)

    I now consider the desktop a loss..........

    FACE

  2. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:26:37 -0400, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, FACE
    , wrote

    >It also says that the VM's of other products can be run under VMPlayer.
    >If that is true, I can create the virtual hard disks under MS VPC and
    >maybe with a rename use them under VMware player. but I am not there yet.

    Followup to the above:

    I've been there now. It claims that it will use MS Virtual PC VM's, but
    when it goes to convert the management file (.VMC) it hits an
    irrecoverable error. I tried a couple.

    (Funny thing is, .vmc is in VMPlayer's predefined drop-down filtetype box,
    so it may be VM additions or something........)

    FACE

  3. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:35:33 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > FACE wrote:
    >> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    >> of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >>
    >> I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    >> about 3.2 gig.
    >>
    >> The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >>
    >> It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >>
    >> FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    >> Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >>
    >> What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?

    > I'd be surprised if MS VPC 2007 supports anything but another Windows OS.

    Not "support" but I've had SuSE running in a MS VM before now, not great
    but it worked. The VM Tools are Windows Only though.

    --
    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into mordor!

  4. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:30:00 -0400, FACE wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:50:13 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Trevor Best
    > , wrote
    >
    >>On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:28:21 -0400, FACE wrote:
    >>
    >>> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    >>> of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    >>> about 3.2 gig.
    >>>
    >>> The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >>>
    >>> It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >>>
    >>> FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    >>> Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >>>
    >>> What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?

    >>What desktop? Isn't the server version only character based?

    > I installed unbuntu 7.10 server.
    > I then heard that it had a desktop.
    > Using the same iso file as for the server, I entered:
    > sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

    Ah, that explains it.

    > It went to work and sent the VM size from ~.8 gig (server only)
    > to ~3,2 gig (server & desktop + apps on the install .iso)
    >
    > I now consider the desktop a loss..........

    Did you run out of disk space during this install, increase the disk size
    and try again from where you left off or did you try installing again from
    scratch? There might be some rubbish left over after a failed install.

    Did you try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"?

    --
    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into mordor!

  5. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:14:40 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Trevor Best
    , wrote

    >On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:30:00 -0400, FACE wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:50:13 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Trevor Best
    >> , wrote

    >>>What desktop? Isn't the server version only character based?

    >> I installed unbuntu 7.10 server.
    >> I then heard that it had a desktop.
    >> Using the same iso file as for the server, I entered:
    >> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

    >Ah, that explains it.
    >
    >> It went to work and sent the VM size from ~.8 gig (server only)
    >> to ~3,2 gig (server & desktop + apps on the install .iso)
    >>
    >> I now consider the desktop a loss..........

    >Did you run out of disk space during this install, increase the disk size
    >and try again from where you left off or did you try installing again from
    >scratch? There might be some rubbish left over after a failed install.
    >
    >Did you try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"?

    I originally had a 2 gig expandable disk. When the OS was complete it was
    a little less than .8 gig.

    I went to get the desktop and it expanded and it ran out of space before
    it finished retrieving the files.

    I restarted from scratch with a 4 gig expandable disk. Of that one I used
    about 3.2 gig to completely install the OS and desktop. i used "sudo
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" twice. With that, I did manage to take it
    from ridiculously corrupted to half-way readable if you held your head
    kinda ****ed to one side but it was still corrupted.

    (The first time through Xserver was for resolution, the second time for
    color depth,IIRC )

    FACE

  6. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    FACE wrote:
    > I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran out
    > of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.

    It doesn't have a "desktop"!

    My Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server only needed a little over 500 MB to install.

    --
    John

  7. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    "Trevor Best" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.06.23.22.12.29.239964@besty.org.uk...
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:35:33 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:
    >
    >> FACE wrote:
    >>> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran
    >>> out
    >>> of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> I remade the virtual machine to a 4 gig allowance and it completed at
    >>> about 3.2 gig.
    >>>
    >>> The display is corrupt. It is a mess.
    >>>
    >>> It takes several minutes to load anyway.
    >>>
    >>> FWIW, the machine runs XP Pro, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95, WFWG 3.11,
    >>> Dos 6.22, as VMs just fine.
    >>>
    >>> What is the best Linux OS to install under MS VPC 2007?

    >> I'd be surprised if MS VPC 2007 supports anything but another Windows OS.

    > Not "support" but I've had SuSE running in a MS VM before now, not great
    > but it worked. The VM Tools are Windows Only though.

    IIRC these work on VPC but I haven't tried them.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/vir...stsupport.mspx

  8. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:37:49 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu,
    "dennis@home" , wrote

    >"Trevor Best" wrote in message
    >newsan.2008.06.23.22.12.29.239964@besty.org.uk...

    >>> I'd be surprised if MS VPC 2007 supports anything but another Windows OS.

    >> Not "support" but I've had SuSE running in a MS VM before now, not great
    >> but it worked. The VM Tools are Windows Only though.

    >IIRC these work on VPC but I haven't tried them.
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/vir...stsupport.mspx

    Has anyone tried these? I will have soon after the (supposedly) bootable
    Knoppix iso completes download.

    I got it after I saw your message and It says to install it *within* the
    virtual machine, but it is an .msi (microsoft installation). ??

    FACE

  9. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:28:21 -0400, FACE wrote:

    > I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran
    > out of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.

    Sorry, but this does not compute. The server edition with a desktop? You
    didn't bother to google the minimum space requirements for an ubuntu
    install before you started? Perhaps you'd better stick with windows.

  10. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On 25 Jun 2008 07:47:10 GMT, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Derek Turner
    , wrote

    >On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:28:21 -0400, FACE wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran
    >> out of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >>

    >Sorry, but this does not compute. The server edition with a desktop? You
    >didn't bother to google the minimum space requirements for an ubuntu
    >install before you started? Perhaps you'd better stick with windows.

    You are the second one to question this. I did not reply to the first
    because it was undeserving of reply.

    You have tried sudo apt-get install xorg gdm xubuntu-desktop from the
    7.1 distro?

    FACE

  11. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    Op Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:49:37 -0400, schreef FACE:

    > On 25 Jun 2008 07:47:10 GMT, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Derek Turner
    > , wrote
    >
    >>On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:28:21 -0400, FACE wrote:
    >>
    >>> I installed Ubuntu 7.10 server twice yesterday. The first time it ran
    >>> out of room on a 2 gig partition installing the desktop.
    >>>

    >>Sorry, but this does not compute. The server edition with a desktop? You
    >>didn't bother to google the minimum space requirements for an ubuntu
    >>install before you started? Perhaps you'd better stick with windows.

    > You are the second one to question this. I did not reply to the first
    > because it was undeserving of reply.
    >
    > You have tried sudo apt-get install xorg gdm xubuntu-desktop from the
    > 7.1 distro?

    I think you dont understand what people mean when they ask you why the
    hell you would have a server edition with an desktop. Normaly this is not
    done as servers usualy run under memory thight conditions and a desktop
    is considered overkill and resource hogging. (What it actually is :-) Now
    running out of space on your two gig might well be caused by the fact
    that you forgot to instruct apt to remove the packages from the cache
    after installation. Is that correct?

  12. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:36:08 +0000, nyarnon wrote:

    > Op Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:49:37 -0400, schreef FACE:
    >
    >> On 25 Jun 2008 07:47:10 GMT, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Derek Turner
    >> , wrote

    >>>Sorry, but this does not compute. The server edition with a desktop?
    >>>You didn't bother to google the minimum space requirements for an
    >>>ubuntu install before you started? Perhaps you'd better stick with
    >>>windows.

    >> You are the second one to question this. I did not reply to the first
    >> because it was undeserving of reply.
    >>
    >> You have tried sudo apt-get install xorg gdm xubuntu-desktop from the
    >> 7.1 distro?
    >>

    > I think you dont understand what people mean when they ask you why the
    > hell you would have a server edition with an desktop. Normaly this is
    > not done as servers usualy run under memory thight conditions and a
    > desktop is considered overkill and resource hogging. (What it actually
    > is :-) Now running out of space on your two gig might well be caused by
    > the fact that you forgot to instruct apt to remove the packages from the
    > cache after installation. Is that correct?

    There is no reason not to install the desktop on a server, it only takes
    disk space which is free in the era of terabyte disks. As long as you run
    the server at Init 3 (No X) it doesn't use any RAM. Having the desktop
    available is useful for configuration, when you need it you do a startx
    to start up X and then you can use the GUI tools. When you are done you
    do an init 3 and you are back to no X.

  13. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On 25 Jun 2008 12:36:08 GMT, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, nyarnon
    , wrote

    >Op Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:49:37 -0400, schreef FACE:
    >
    >> On 25 Jun 2008 07:47:10 GMT, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Derek Turner
    >> , wrote

    >>>Sorry, but this does not compute. The server edition with a desktop? You
    >>>didn't bother to google the minimum space requirements for an ubuntu
    >>>install before you started? Perhaps you'd better stick with windows.

    >> You are the second one to question this. I did not reply to the first
    >> because it was undeserving of reply.
    >>
    >> You have tried sudo apt-get install xorg gdm xubuntu-desktop from the
    >> 7.1 distro?
    >>

    >I think you dont understand what people mean when they ask you why the
    >hell you would have a server edition with an desktop. Normaly this is not
    >done as servers usualy run under memory thight conditions and a desktop
    >is considered overkill and resource hogging. (What it actually is :-) Now
    >running out of space on your two gig might well be caused by the fact
    >that you forgot to instruct apt to remove the packages from the cache
    >after installation. Is that correct?

    Reasonable statement and question.

    The command consisted of 3 sections: 1. Get 2. Unpackage. 3. Install.

    After entry, I did not see how i could really interrupt it without
    stopping it.

    The reason that the original allocation was 2 gig was for the server only,
    and for that it was more than adequate.

    When the message came across that 1809 Meg of application would be
    retrieved, I knew it would run out of room. It did give me a yes/no
    option to continue and I just let it run, knowing that it would not
    complete, but not realizing how much clock time would elapse before it
    failed on no more room.

    Another explanation I have heard for not originally getting the desktop is
    that is that it is considered a security problem for a server. I can
    understand that.

    I am guessing the X-FACE is you. Your hair fell to your upper lip! :-)

    (Personally, I wish there were the equivalent of an IBM yellow card for
    Linux.)

    FACE

  14. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    Op Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:41:31 -0500, schreef General Schvantzkopf:

    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:36:08 +0000, nyarnon wrote:
    >
    >> Op Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:49:37 -0400, schreef FACE:
    >>
    >>> On 25 Jun 2008 07:47:10 GMT, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Derek Turner
    >>> , wrote

    >>> You are the second one to question this. I did not reply to the first
    >>> because it was undeserving of reply.
    >>>
    >>> You have tried sudo apt-get install xorg gdm xubuntu-desktop from
    >>> the 7.1 distro?
    >>>

    >> I think you dont understand what people mean when they ask you why the
    >> hell you would have a server edition with an desktop. Normaly this is
    >> not done as servers usualy run under memory thight conditions and a
    >> desktop is considered overkill and resource hogging. (What it actually
    >> is :-) Now running out of space on your two gig might well be caused by
    >> the fact that you forgot to instruct apt to remove the packages from
    >> the cache after installation. Is that correct?

    > There is no reason not to install the desktop on a server, it only takes
    > disk space which is free in the era of terabyte disks.

    Is it now? Not on my VPS it isn't. Anyway why would I want to install a
    preconfigured server setup is resources are plentfull?

    > As long as you
    > run the server at Init 3 (No X) it doesn't use any RAM.

    Why would I install a desktop and then not use it? To fill diskspace?

    > Having the
    > desktop available is useful for configuration, when you need it you do a
    > startx to start up X and then you can use the GUI tools.

    Most servers are configured by webbased tools from another location
    i.o.w. have there own desktop. Why bother tunneling X.

    > When you are
    > done you do an init 3 and you are back to no X.

    You must be a professional, I bow my head humbely.

  15. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    FACE wrote:
    > Thanks Andy, I am downloading VMWare Server Beta 2.0, rel 2 now.
    > I understand that with Player I can use some of the pre-configured
    > "appliances" from VMWare -- I got Fedora 9 earlier.
    >
    > It also says that the VM's of other products can be run under VMPlayer.
    > If that is true, I can create the virtual hard disks under MS VPC and
    > maybe with a rename use them under VMware player. but I am not there yet.
    >
    > But in any event, with VMWare Server, I will be now covered.
    >
    > FACE

    I don't want to spoil the fun here, but, I have seen on some other
    groups that MSVPC is a joke compared to VMware. I've even read in some
    magazines basically the same opinion, but watered down so they don't
    offend 'you know who' in Redmond.
    Anyway, if you MUST use windows, good luck.
    I'm playing with various configurations myself, but running XP (no Vista
    here, ever) under Ubuntu makes a whole lot more sense to me than running
    Ubuntu under windows of any sort.
    Bill Baka

  16. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:25:54 -0700, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Bill
    , wrote

    >FACE wrote:
    >> Thanks Andy, I am downloading VMWare Server Beta 2.0, rel 2 now.
    >> I understand that with Player I can use some of the pre-configured
    >> "appliances" from VMWare -- I got Fedora 9 earlier.
    >>
    >> It also says that the VM's of other products can be run under VMPlayer.
    >> If that is true, I can create the virtual hard disks under MS VPC and
    >> maybe with a rename use them under VMware player. but I am not there yet.
    >>
    >> But in any event, with VMWare Server, I will be now covered.
    >>
    >> FACE

    >I don't want to spoil the fun here, but, I have seen on some other
    >groups that MSVPC is a joke compared to VMware. I've even read in some
    >magazines basically the same opinion, but watered down so they don't
    >offend 'you know who' in Redmond.
    >Anyway, if you MUST use windows, good luck.
    >I'm playing with various configurations myself, but running XP (no Vista
    >here, ever) under Ubuntu makes a whole lot more sense to me than running
    >Ubuntu under windows of any sort.
    >Bill Baka

    Well I've been there now. VMPlayer managed not to convert any MS VPC,
    even though the filetypes were preconfigured into the VMWARE's conversion
    dropdown box as "MS Virtual PC". I tried 3 and got "irrecoverable error"
    on all of them. However, I did find a way into VMPplayer *after* first
    time in where I can change certain aspects of a machines' configuration
    -- in my case, it was memory allocation.

    FACE

  17. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:10:51 -0400, FACE wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:37:49 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu,
    > "dennis@home" , wrote
    >

    >>IIRC these work on VPC but I haven't tried them.
    >>
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/vir...stsupport.mspx

    > Has anyone tried these? I will have soon after the (supposedly) bootable
    > Knoppix iso completes download.

    I have had SuSE working, I think 9 & 10 in MSVPC2007 (not Virtual Server
    as in Dennis' Link) but I did try Ubuntu 8.04 desktop today at work, the
    LiveCD did not boot. I didn't investigate any further than that.

    --
    trevor@leoben:~$ telnet mordor
    telnet: could not resolve mordor/telnet: One does not simply telnet into mordor!

  18. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:35:24 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Trevor Best
    , wrote

    >On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:10:51 -0400, FACE wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:37:49 +0100, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu,
    >> "dennis@home" , wrote
    >>

    >>>IIRC these work on VPC but I haven't tried them.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/vir...stsupport.mspx

    >> Has anyone tried these? I will have soon after the (supposedly) bootable
    >> Knoppix iso completes download.

    >I have had SuSE working, I think 9 & 10 in MSVPC2007 (not Virtual Server
    >as in Dennis' Link) but I did try Ubuntu 8.04 desktop today at work, the
    >LiveCD did not boot. I didn't investigate any further than that.

    This is not a knoppix forum, but I will relate the situation I hit with
    that package.........

    Knoppix 5.1 booted just fine into its desktop. But the pointer was
    frozen. I considered that no real problem since I wanted to enter a
    command from the command line -- knoppix boot install, or something like
    that. I didn't need the pointer or the desktop.

    So I did a ctl-alt-f2 to drop to commandline mode.

    It dropped okay -- to a black screen, no prompt, no nothing, and nothing
    got its attention.............

    So I figured if I had my pointer I could find a command entry point from
    the administrator menu on the desktop.

    Reading the text for VM Linux additions, I saw that pointer integration
    was part of it. But............the iso does not autoload anything, it
    requires command line entries.........

    (Looks like most of the linux packages are variations of red hat.)

    FACE

  19. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    FACE wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:25:54 -0700, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Bill
    > , wrote
    >
    >> FACE wrote:
    >>> Thanks Andy, I am downloading VMWare Server Beta 2.0, rel 2 now.
    >>> I understand that with Player I can use some of the pre-configured
    >>> "appliances" from VMWare -- I got Fedora 9 earlier.
    >>>
    >>> It also says that the VM's of other products can be run under VMPlayer.
    >>> If that is true, I can create the virtual hard disks under MS VPC and
    >>> maybe with a rename use them under VMware player. but I am not there yet.
    >>>
    >>> But in any event, with VMWare Server, I will be now covered.
    >>>
    >>> FACE

    >> I don't want to spoil the fun here, but, I have seen on some other
    >> groups that MSVPC is a joke compared to VMware. I've even read in some
    >> magazines basically the same opinion, but watered down so they don't
    >> offend 'you know who' in Redmond.
    >> Anyway, if you MUST use windows, good luck.
    >> I'm playing with various configurations myself, but running XP (no Vista
    >> here, ever) under Ubuntu makes a whole lot more sense to me than running
    >> Ubuntu under windows of any sort.
    >> Bill Baka

    > Well I've been there now. VMPlayer managed not to convert any MS VPC,
    > even though the filetypes were preconfigured into the VMWARE's conversion
    > dropdown box as "MS Virtual PC". I tried 3 and got "irrecoverable error"
    > on all of them. However, I did find a way into VMPplayer *after* first
    > time in where I can change certain aspects of a machines' configuration
    > -- in my case, it was memory allocation.
    >
    > FACE

    VMware server is free, and I've heard 'probably here' as well as other
    places that MSVPC doesn't play nice with others. Did I get it right that
    you are trying to run MSVPC under VMware under Linux??
    I know that the buzz is that VMware can run other VM's or systems, like
    DOS, windows whatever, or even some other Linux under Ubuntu.
    Your problem with that is probably a M$ trick to make anything else look
    bad.
    Bill Baka

  20. Re: Best version of Linux to run under MS VPC 2007?

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:08:13 -0700, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Bill
    , wrote

    >FACE wrote:
    >> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:25:54 -0700, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Bill
    >> , wrote

    >>> I don't want to spoil the fun here, but, I have seen on some other
    >>> groups that MSVPC is a joke compared to VMware. I've even read in some
    >>> magazines basically the same opinion, but watered down so they don't
    >>> offend 'you know who' in Redmond.
    >>> Anyway, if you MUST use windows, good luck.
    >>> I'm playing with various configurations myself, but running XP (no Vista
    >>> here, ever) under Ubuntu makes a whole lot more sense to me than running
    >>> Ubuntu under windows of any sort.
    >>> Bill Baka

    >> Well I've been there now. VMPlayer managed not to convert any MS VPC,
    >> even though the filetypes were preconfigured into the VMWARE's conversion
    >> dropdown box as "MS Virtual PC". I tried 3 and got "irrecoverable error"
    >> on all of them. However, I did find a way into VMPplayer *after* first
    >> time in where I can change certain aspects of a machines' configuration
    >> -- in my case, it was memory allocation.
    >>
    >> FACE
    >>

    >VMware server is free, and I've heard 'probably here' as well as other
    >places that MSVPC doesn't play nice with others. Did I get it right that
    >you are trying to run MSVPC under VMware under Linux??
    >I know that the buzz is that VMware can run other VM's or systems, like
    >DOS, windows whatever, or even some other Linux under Ubuntu.
    >Your problem with that is probably a M$ trick to make anything else look
    >bad.
    >Bill Baka

    I have VMware server, just not installed.

    I am running Win XP Pro and MSVPC and VMPlayer, all top level physical
    machine.

    I have VMs under both MSVPC and VMPlayer.

    Out of all the "All you do is just..." answers I have read, the best and
    most likely is that MS flat does not have a decent display driver for
    Linux systems.

    FACE