networking with Windows - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on networking with Windows - Ubuntu ; I'm a Windows/ CentOS user looking at Ubuntu (8.04) and not liking what I see: Ubuntu not networking smoothly with a Windows machine. Apparently there are no GUI tools for configuring Samba and a Windows network. How do others accomplish ...

  1. networking with Windows

    I'm a Windows/ CentOS user looking at Ubuntu (8.04) and not liking what
    I see: Ubuntu not networking smoothly with a Windows machine.
    Apparently there are no GUI tools for configuring Samba and a Windows
    network. How do others accomplish this?

  2. Re: networking with Windows

    Bruce Coryell illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I'm a Windows/ CentOS user looking at Ubuntu (8.04) and not liking what
    > I see: Ubuntu not networking smoothly with a Windows machine.

    You see that where?

    > Apparently there are no GUI tools for configuring Samba and a Windows
    > network.

    Yes there are!

    > How do others accomplish this?

    Personally, I install the full samba and configure it with my
    preferred samba.conf file. It's a 30 second task.

    If you prefer to configure it yourself, there's a simply method from
    the off in your Gnome menu bar
    Places -> Connect to Server

    This fires up your requested GUI. It can also handle SSH, FTP and
    WebDAV.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  3. Re: networking with Windows

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:25:39 -0400
    Bruce Coryell wrote:

    > I'm a Windows/ CentOS user looking at Ubuntu (8.04) and not liking
    > what I see: Ubuntu not networking smoothly with a Windows machine.
    > Apparently there are no GUI tools for configuring Samba and a Windows
    > network. How do others accomplish this?

    Configuring Samba is pretty straighforward, so
    "vi /etc/samba/smb.conf" has always worked pretty well...

    If you want a GUI, though, "aptitude search samba" shows a couple of possibilities
    (gsambad, system-config-samba).

    jeff

  4. Re: networking with Windows

    Bruce Coryell wrote:
    > I'm a Windows/ CentOS user looking at Ubuntu (8.04) and not liking
    > what I see: Ubuntu not networking smoothly with a Windows machine.

    Pure bull.

    > Apparently there are no GUI tools for configuring Samba and a Windows
    > network. How do others accomplish this?

    There are GUI tools, and there are CLI tools. There's even a simple Web
    interface.

    Install Ubuntu or Debian and see for yourself.

    --
    John

  5. Re: networking with Windows

    Bruce Coryell wrote:
    > I'm a Windows/ CentOS user looking at Ubuntu (8.04) and not liking
    > what I see: Ubuntu not networking smoothly with a Windows machine.
    > Apparently there are no GUI tools for configuring Samba and a Windows
    > network. How do others accomplish this?

    I couldn't get Samba to work but following advice from this group I used
    Smb4k which worked straight away.

    Slatts

+ Reply to Thread