Best VNC choice for a mixed environment? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Best VNC choice for a mixed environment? - Ubuntu ; I am faced with setting up a suite of servers and workstations. Servers will primarily be Ubuntu. Workstations will be a mix of Ubuntu and windows XP Pro. We need the ability to have remote graphical access between all work ...

  1. Best VNC choice for a mixed environment?

    I am faced with setting up a suite of servers and workstations. Servers will
    primarily be Ubuntu. Workstations will be a mix of Ubuntu and windows XP
    Pro. We need the ability to have remote graphical access between all work
    stations and servers so I need something that is reliable on both Ubuntu
    8.04 and win XP.

    What is the best choice for VNC? TightVNC? RealVNC? Something else? Are the
    clients and servers interopable (Can Tight client talk to RealVNC server,
    etc)?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Best VNC choice for a mixed environment?

    Bio Wonders wrote:
    > I am faced with setting up a suite of servers and workstations. Servers will
    > primarily be Ubuntu. Workstations will be a mix of Ubuntu and windows XP
    > Pro. We need the ability to have remote graphical access between all work
    > stations and servers so I need something that is reliable on both Ubuntu
    > 8.04 and win XP.
    >
    > What is the best choice for VNC? TightVNC? RealVNC? Something else? Are the
    > clients and servers interopable (Can Tight client talk to RealVNC server,
    > etc)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    The best choice for the servers would be ssh -- yes, the CLI "terminal."
    What would be the purpose of a bloated GUI DE on a server?!

    For a GUI Remote Desktop Connection, I use rdesktop and tsclient. On
    Windows I think it is called Remote Desktop Connection on Windows SP
    Pro. It isn't available on XP Home.

    Both rdesktop and tsclient are available in Synaptic. Works to GNU/Linux
    and Windows (RDC and VNC) boxes.

    Following are the "apt-cache show" and "apt-cache showpkg" outputs for
    rdesktop and tsclient (these are from Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Dapper Drake --
    the current Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Hardy Heron will likely have newer versions):

    john@ubuntu6.06:~$ apt-cache show rdesktop
    Package: rdesktop
    Section: x11
    Installed-Size: 388
    Maintainer: Tomas Fasth
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 1.4.1-1.1ubuntu0.6.06
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8a-1), libx11-6
    Filename: pool/main/r/rdesktop/rdesktop_1.4.1-1.1ubuntu0.6.06_i386.deb
    Size: 100916
    MD5sum: 3a88d294358e5c6446c52d22a07b564c
    SHA1: 06891a4bb51ef1f238c4897e1564856e04492307
    SHA256: df2be3220082949ef691278efb7005428dbfcf971eb9e1a987 89b599509adfa3
    rdesktop is an open source client for Windows NT/2000 Terminal Server,
    capable
    of natively speaking its Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) in order to present
    the user's NT/2000 desktop. Unlike Citrix ICA, no server extensions are
    required.
    Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Task: ubuntu-desktop, edubuntu-desktop

    Package: rdesktop
    Section: x11
    Installed-Size: 388
    Maintainer: Tomas Fasth
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 1.4.1-1.1
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8a-1), libx11-6
    Filename: pool/main/r/rdesktop/rdesktop_1.4.1-1.1_i386.deb
    Size: 100680
    MD5sum: 51e397ecae64930f011132bfc56f521b
    rdesktop is an open source client for Windows NT/2000 Terminal Server,
    capable
    of natively speaking its Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) in order to present
    the user's NT/2000 desktop. Unlike Citrix ICA, no server extensions are
    required.
    Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Task: ubuntu-desktop, edubuntu-desktop

    rdesktop is an open source client for Windows NT/2000 Terminal Server,
    capable
    of natively speaking its Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) in order to present
    the user's NT/2000 desktop. Unlike Citrix ICA, no server extensions are
    required.

    john@ubuntu6.06:~$ apt-cache showpkg rdesktop
    Package: rdesktop
    Versions:
    1.4.1-1.1ubuntu0.6.06(/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_dapper-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_dapper-security_main_binary-i386_Packages)(/var/lib/dpkg/status)
    1.4.1-1.1(/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_dapper_main_binary-i386_Packages)

    Reverse Depends:
    tsclient,rdesktop 1.3
    krdc,rdesktop 1.3.1-1
    krdc,rdesktop
    grdesktop,rdesktop 1.3.0-1
    gnome-rdp,rdesktop
    education-desktop-other,rdesktop
    education-desktop-other,rdesktop
    krdc,rdesktop 1.3.1-1
    krdc,rdesktop
    Dependencies:
    1.4.1-1.1ubuntu0.6.06 - libc6 (2 2.3.4-1) libssl0.9.8 (2 0.9.8a-1)
    libx11-6 (0 (null))
    1.4.1-1.1 - libc6 (2 2.3.4-1) libssl0.9.8 (2 0.9.8a-1) libx11-6 (0 (null))
    Provides:
    1.4.1-1.1ubuntu0.6.06 -
    1.4.1-1.1 -
    Reverse Provides:

    john@ubuntu6.06:~$ apt-cache show tsclient
    Package: tsclient
    Section: gnome
    Installed-Size: 896
    Maintainer: Andrew Lau
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 0.140-3ubuntu1
    Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.9.0), libbonoboui2-0 (>= 2.5.4), libc6 (>=
    2.3.4-1), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.10.0), libgnome2-0 (>= 2.8.0), libgnomeui-0
    (>= 2.13.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0), libpanel-applet2-0 (>= 2.14.1),
    rdesktop (>= 1.3)
    Suggests: vnc-viewer, xnest
    Filename: pool/main/t/tsclient/tsclient_0.140-3ubuntu1_i386.deb
    Size: 261812
    MD5sum: f42b9d034f56b4809985f38a5b407f0d
    tsclient is a GNOME program for remotely accessing Microsoft Windows
    NT/2000
    Terminal Services and XP Remote Desktop Sharing as implemented by the
    Remote
    Desktop Protocol (RDP). Using the rdesktop program as a backend, tsclient
    allows users to access and view their desktops as stored on remote Windows
    NT/2000/XP servers.

  3. Re: Best VNC choice for a mixed environment?

    Bio Wonders wrote:
    > I am faced with setting up a suite of servers and workstations. Servers will
    > primarily be Ubuntu. Workstations will be a mix of Ubuntu and windows XP
    > Pro. We need the ability to have remote graphical access between all work
    > stations and servers so I need something that is reliable on both Ubuntu
    > 8.04 and win XP.
    >
    > What is the best choice for VNC? TightVNC? RealVNC? Something else? Are the
    > clients and servers interopable (Can Tight client talk to RealVNC server,
    > etc)?

    On 8.04, the supported VNC packages are vino and vinaigre. On XP, I
    would use UltraVNC. Almost all VNCs can talk to almost all others, but
    you sometimes end up with a lowest common denominator of available options.

    --
    JimP

  4. Re: Best VNC choice for a mixed environment?

    I use RealVNC (and, as noted, ssh is always preferable when
    practical). I found that TightVNC had terrible network performance.

    On 2008-06-22, Bio Wonders wrote:
    > I am faced with setting up a suite of servers and workstations. Servers will
    > primarily be Ubuntu. Workstations will be a mix of Ubuntu and windows XP
    > Pro. We need the ability to have remote graphical access between all work
    > stations and servers so I need something that is reliable on both Ubuntu
    > 8.04 and win XP.
    >
    > What is the best choice for VNC? TightVNC? RealVNC? Something else? Are the
    > clients and servers interopable (Can Tight client talk to RealVNC server,
    > etc)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Best VNC choice for a mixed environment?

    Bio Wonders wrote:
    > I am faced with setting up a suite of servers and workstations. Servers will
    > primarily be Ubuntu. Workstations will be a mix of Ubuntu and windows XP
    > Pro. We need the ability to have remote graphical access between all work
    > stations and servers so I need something that is reliable on both Ubuntu
    > 8.04 and win XP.
    >
    > What is the best choice for VNC? TightVNC? RealVNC? Something else? Are the
    > clients and servers interopable (Can Tight client talk to RealVNC server,
    > etc)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    On ubuntu use vino (installed by default on desktop, but not sure about
    server) The windoze and ubuntu viewers are a free download the the
    realvnc site.

+ Reply to Thread