fax with HP all in one - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on fax with HP all in one - Ubuntu ; I've got a *minor* problem, and a used new printer. HP office-jet all in one 4110 Scanner, Printer and fax (hardware part) took only a couple of minutes to set up. Now the device is connected via usb, and "efax-gtk" ...

  1. fax with HP all in one

    I've got a *minor* problem, and a used new printer.
    HP office-jet all in one 4110

    Scanner, Printer and fax (hardware part) took only a couple of
    minutes to set up. Now the device is connected via usb, and
    "efax-gtk" wants to send the fax via modem tssy like in the old
    days. is there a way to set it up that it will use the usb-port?
    If not I can still connect some old modem for that...

    Dragomir Kollaric

  2. Re: fax with HP all in one

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > I've got a *minor* problem, and a used new printer.
    > HP office-jet all in one 4110
    >
    > Scanner, Printer and fax (hardware part) took only a couple of
    > minutes to set up. Now the device is connected via usb, and
    > "efax-gtk" wants to send the fax via modem tssy like in the old
    > days. is there a way to set it up that it will use the usb-port?
    > If not I can still connect some old modem for that...
    >
    > Dragomir Kollaric

    Did it say "Linux compatible" or just windoze Vista compatible?
    As for the modem, is it a winmodem?
    What happens when you run out of ink? Probably $$$$$$.
    The 'all in one' works for most people but what if you want to scan a
    book? I have 2 big flat bed scanners but they aren't recognized by
    Ubuntu, but only windoze. That's why I have to keep M$ and a few other
    things like CAD. OH, and good luck on your side.
    Bill Baka
    Bill Baka

  3. Re: fax with HP all in one

    Bill wrote:

    > I have 2 big flat bed scanners but they aren't recognized by Ubuntu,
    > but only windoze. That's why I have to keep M$ and a few other things
    > like CAD.
    > Bill Baka

    I see AutoCAD 2000 is now runnable in Wine. I haven't tried it.

    What brand and model are your scanners?

    --
    John

  4. Re: fax with HP all in one

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> I have 2 big flat bed scanners but they aren't recognized by Ubuntu,
    >> but only windoze. That's why I have to keep M$ and a few other things
    >> like CAD.
    >> Bill Baka

    > I see AutoCAD 2000 is now runnable in Wine. I haven't tried it.
    >
    > What brand and model are your scanners?

    I have a 2002 vintage Visioneer 3300 parallel port sitting on top of an
    HP USB, a late 2006 model that has a USB interface. My oldest is a 1995
    HP/SCSI now sitting in the trunk of my parked gas guzzler 1966 Chrysler.
    So if I want to scan anything I have to boot XP, scan it and put the
    Jpeg on a common drive with NTFS+ compression, then back to Linux.
    Ubuntu reads and writes to NTFS, but windows totally refuses to even
    acknowledge the existence of a Linux file system. Instead it asks me if
    I want to create a partition and format it, NTFS of course.
    Bill Baka

  5. Re: fax with HP all in one

    Bill wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have 2 big flat bed scanners but they aren't recognized by Ubuntu,
    >>> but only windoze. That's why I have to keep M$ and a few other things
    >>> like CAD.
    >>> Bill Baka

    >> I see AutoCAD 2000 is now runnable in Wine. I haven't tried it.

    Have you tried Autocad 2009 in Virtualbox? Works
    well. Is 2000 just runnable or usable?
    caver1

  6. Re: fax with HP all in one

    Bill wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have 2 big flat bed scanners but they aren't recognized by Ubuntu,
    >>> but only windoze. That's why I have to keep M$ and a few other
    >>> things like CAD.
    >>> Bill Baka

    >> I see AutoCAD 2000 is now runnable in Wine. I haven't tried it.
    >>
    >> What brand and model are your scanners?
    >>

    > I have a 2002 vintage Visioneer 3300 parallel port sitting on top of
    > an HP USB, a late 2006 model that has a USB interface. My oldest is a
    > 1995 HP/SCSI now sitting in the trunk of my parked gas guzzler 1966
    > Chrysler.
    > So if I want to scan anything I have to boot XP, scan it and put the
    > Jpeg on a common drive with NTFS+ compression, then back to Linux.
    > Ubuntu reads and writes to NTFS, but windows totally refuses to even
    > acknowledge the existence of a Linux file system. Instead it asks me
    > if I want to create a partition and format it, NTFS of course.
    > Bill Baka

    I have an Apple ColorOne Scanner that works via SCSI, on a Mac. I moved
    it to a Windows 98SE then Windows XP Pro, using a PCI SCSI card.

    I also have a UMAX Astra 1200S that I replaced the Apple ColorOne
    scanner with, mainly because the Apple scanner's fluorescent lamp was
    always reporting it was too dim, and new ones didn't help.

    The UMAX Astra 1200S is both SCSI and serial, and was working SCSI on
    the XP box and serial to a PowerMac at the same time. Since I rarely
    turn on the PowerMac 8600/200, I removed the serial connection.

    Then I moved the PCI SCSI card to the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS box, and with
    SANE, plus Kooka or XSane Image Scanner, it works fine. So that was one
    "problem" solved to rid myself of Windows.

    A second was RDC via PPTP/IPSec. I now have a solution on Ubuntu and
    Debian that allows me to access a remote XP box to administer an FTP client.

    That left AutoCAD as the remaining Windows "necessity," but since people
    are reporting success with Wine, the Windows PC is never used anymore.
    It dual-boots with Ubuntu 8.04, and that is the only OS I've used on it
    for months.

    One final application that I need is FileMaker Pro. It will run on
    Windows or the Mac OS, so I really no longer "need" Windows.

    --
    John

  7. Re: fax with HP all in one

    http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  8. Re: fax with HP all in one

    caver1 wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >> John F. Morse wrote:

    >>> I see AutoCAD 2000 is now runnable in Wine. I haven't tried it.

    > Have you tried Autocad 2009 in Virtualbox? Works well. Is 2000 just
    > runnable or usable?
    > caver1

    I haven't tried it -- either way. Just going by what I've read on the
    Wine site. Someone reported that text wasn't too good. Possibly a font
    problem. Don't know if it runs the LISP stuff either.

    I have R-12 through R-14, LT97, and 2000, 2000i and 2002. Just have
    little need anymore except for personal drawings, like my home and
    electronic wiring diagrams.

    Years ago I did try AutoCAD R-13, R-14 and AutoCAD LT97 on a PowerMac
    8600/200 under VirtualPC. That was a disaster. It ran without any
    failures, but the crosshairs were a day behind the mouse.

    You must have a speedy PC?

    --
    John

  9. Re: fax with HP all in one

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:

    >> Have you tried Autocad 2009 in Virtualbox? Works well. Is 2000 just
    >> runnable or usable?
    >> caver1

    > I haven't tried it -- either way. Just going by what I've read on the
    > Wine site. Someone reported that text wasn't too good. Possibly a font
    > problem. Don't know if it runs the LISP stuff either.
    >
    > I have R-12 through R-14, LT97, and 2000, 2000i and 2002. Just have
    > little need anymore except for personal drawings, like my home and
    > electronic wiring diagrams.
    >
    > Years ago I did try AutoCAD R-13, R-14 and AutoCAD LT97 on a PowerMac
    > 8600/200 under VirtualPC. That was a disaster. It ran without any
    > failures, but the crosshairs were a day behind the mouse.
    >
    > You must have a speedy PC?

    I don't think its that speedy. AMD 4600 with 4 gigs ram.
    Most of what we use was 2008 but some of people got new computers with
    2009 so had to try it. Most of what we use is lite as it's way to
    expensive otherwise.
    caver1

  10. Re: fax with HP all in one

    caver1 wrote:

    > I don't think its that speedy. AMD 4600 with 4 gigs ram.
    > Most of what we use was 2008 but some of people got new computers with
    > 2009 so had to try it. Most of what we use is lite as it's way to
    > expensive otherwise.
    > caver1

    That "4600" sure sounds faster than a Motorola 604E running at 200 MHz. ;-)

    I think the old PowerMac 8600 probably has only 256 or 384 MB of RAM. It
    also is running OS 9.0.4 as it can't run OS-X.

    I put AutoCAD 2000 on Windows 98SE and it left the Mac in the dust.

    I really can see no sense in running AutoCAD under VirtualBox on Linux,
    when I have Windows PCs available, that already have the OS running native.

    IOW, no point installing Windows on a Linux box. ;-)

    I forgot that I do have Windows 98SE installed under qemu on Ubuntu
    7.04, but that was just to see if it would work. I could install AutoCAD
    there, but again it would only be for proof of concept.

    I may take a look at my R-13 CDs and see if the Unix version is on them
    along with the Windows version. R-13 would likely be all I need to be
    able to read and use my personal drawings.

    I have no LISP in them, but I know AutoDesk created a lot of LISP
    problems when they released R-14 and our R-13 routines stopped working
    or gave weird results.

    --
    John

  11. Re: fax with HP all in one

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu reads and writes to NTFS, but windows totally refuses to even
    >> acknowledge the existence of a Linux file system. Instead it asks me
    >> if I want to create a partition and format it, NTFS of course.

    > http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

    I went there and bookmarked it but I have reservations about letting
    windows have access to the Linux files. It might be nice to edit my
    etc/hosts file since from within Linux it keeps telling me I don't have
    the authority to change anything. Of course windows gives me the same
    crap, and just irritates me since I am the only user and the IT for my
    own computer.
    Anyway, thanks for the pointer.
    I will try it when I get brave.
    Bill Baka

  12. Re: fax with HP all in one

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >> John F. Morse wrote:

    >>> I see AutoCAD 2000 is now runnable in Wine. I haven't tried it.
    >>>
    >>> What brand and model are your scanners?
    >>>

    >> I have a 2002 vintage Visioneer 3300 parallel port sitting on top of
    >> an HP USB, a late 2006 model that has a USB interface. My oldest is a
    >> 1995 HP/SCSI now sitting in the trunk of my parked gas guzzler 1966
    >> Chrysler.
    >> So if I want to scan anything I have to boot XP, scan it and put the
    >> Jpeg on a common drive with NTFS+ compression, then back to Linux.
    >> Ubuntu reads and writes to NTFS, but windows totally refuses to even
    >> acknowledge the existence of a Linux file system. Instead it asks me
    >> if I want to create a partition and format it, NTFS of course.
    >> Bill Baka

    > I have an Apple ColorOne Scanner that works via SCSI, on a Mac. I moved
    > it to a Windows 98SE then Windows XP Pro, using a PCI SCSI card.
    >
    > I also have a UMAX Astra 1200S that I replaced the Apple ColorOne
    > scanner with, mainly because the Apple scanner's fluorescent lamp was
    > always reporting it was too dim, and new ones didn't help.
    >
    > The UMAX Astra 1200S is both SCSI and serial, and was working SCSI on
    > the XP box and serial to a PowerMac at the same time. Since I rarely
    > turn on the PowerMac 8600/200, I removed the serial connection.
    >
    > Then I moved the PCI SCSI card to the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS box, and with
    > SANE, plus Kooka or XSane Image Scanner, it works fine. So that was one
    > "problem" solved to rid myself of Windows.
    >
    > A second was RDC via PPTP/IPSec. I now have a solution on Ubuntu and
    > Debian that allows me to access a remote XP box to administer an FTP
    > client.
    >
    > That left AutoCAD as the remaining Windows "necessity," but since people
    > are reporting success with Wine, the Windows PC is never used anymore.
    > It dual-boots with Ubuntu 8.04, and that is the only OS I've used on it
    > for months.
    >
    > One final application that I need is FileMaker Pro. It will run on
    > Windows or the Mac OS, so I really no longer "need" Windows.

    I'm wondering if I can install the scanners to run under wine.
    That may be a workaround to an actual windows dual boot.
    VMware, Virtualbox, xen, are still on my to do list.
    Bill Baka

  13. Re: fax with HP all in one

    On 2008-06-27, Bill wrote:
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu reads and writes to NTFS, but windows totally refuses to even
    >>> acknowledge the existence of a Linux file system. Instead it asks me
    >>> if I want to create a partition and format it, NTFS of course.

    >> http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html
    >>

    > I went there and bookmarked it but I have reservations about letting
    > windows have access to the Linux files. It might be nice to edit my
    > etc/hosts file since from within Linux it keeps telling me I don't have
    > the authority to change anything. Of course windows gives me the same
    > crap, and just irritates me since I am the only user and the IT for my
    > own computer.
    > Anyway, thanks for the pointer.
    > I will try it when I get brave.
    > Bill Baka

    Ummm, try sudo nano /etc/hosts

    Also, the ext driver for Windows only allows read access to ext3
    partitions, since it cannot handle the journal. It will do read and
    write if you are using ext2, but most people are using the default
    ext3.

    I still find it useful, as I have still not had any luck getting linux
    to work on my Plasma TV correctly (1360x768). The video driver for
    the laptop's ATI Radeon 1200x doesn't seem to support it, no matter
    what online help I have tried. So, when I connect it to the TV I use
    Windows and connect to my video folder on the ext3 partition. Works
    well, though I continue to work on getting the damned ati driver to
    work right... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  14. Re: fax with HP all in one

    Joe wrote:

    > Also, the ext driver for Windows only allows read access to ext3
    > partitions, since it cannot handle the journal. It will do read and
    > write if you are using ext2, but most people are using the default
    > ext3.

    Incorrect. The name notwithstanding, the driver I linked to gives full
    R/W access to files on an ext3 partition.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318