(k)ubuntu problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on (k)ubuntu problem - Ubuntu ; Having been successfully using a Dell PowerEdge SC430 for over a year with kubuntu/apache2/php/MySQL as my local server, it suddenly started misbehaving in weird ways. It's almost completely stopped serving up web pages. Strangely, my other machine will get some ...

  1. (k)ubuntu problem

    Having been successfully using a Dell PowerEdge SC430 for over a year
    with kubuntu/apache2/php/MySQL as my local server, it suddenly started
    misbehaving in weird ways.
    It's almost completely stopped serving up web pages.
    Strangely, my other machine will get some response from the domains the
    server hosts - but only after a while (minutes, then with failure to get
    MySQL connection) calling it by IP address always brings up the apache
    default page instantly.
    All the above fail on the server itself using any of 'localhost',
    '127.0.0.1' or its own IP address.
    So, I thought I should have a look at the configuration files, only to
    find more problems...
    Some of the basic utitilties come up with sometimes incomplete border
    buttons and NO window content - just blank white, while others are OK.
    The offending ones I've noticed so far are:
    Terminal
    *Time and Date
    *Network
    *Users and groups
    *Network Tools - initial fdialog OK but clicking 'configure' brings up
    blank 'Settings for..' dialog. This gets osme content after a while, but
    clicking to change the configuration (it's not picking up its usual
    address from dhcp) clobbers everything (the bottom bar appears and the
    icons expand, but there's no response to clicks), including
    Ctrl-Alt-Del, but not Ctrl-Alt-Back.
    Ctrl-Alt-Back works as usual, but choosing either 'default', 'gnome' or
    'failsafe' leaves me with the screen background image and a white
    rectangle in the top r-h corner, sometimes with an inner frame as if
    it's a terminal window trying to make itself known.
    Well, what do you reckon? It seems that's quite enough strangeness.
    It's especially problematic for me as I work on the system daily and
    it's been perfect for a long time - so much so that each day I turn it
    on and off without looking at its screen (I use a KDM switch) - I only
    usually switch over to the server to shutdown and do that entrirely by
    touch-typing.

    Can anyone help?

    thanks in advance

    Dave Johnson

  2. Re: (k)ubuntu problem

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:14:32 +0100, Dave Johnson wrote:

    > Having been successfully using a Dell PowerEdge SC430 for over a year with
    > kubuntu/apache2/php/MySQL as my local server, it suddenly started
    > misbehaving in weird ways.
    > It's almost completely stopped serving up web pages. Strangely, my other
    > machine will get some response from the domains the server hosts - but
    > only after a while (minutes, then with failure to get MySQL connection)
    > calling it by IP address always brings up the apache default page
    > instantly.
    > All the above fail on the server itself using any of 'localhost',
    > '127.0.0.1' or its own IP address.
    > So, I thought I should have a look at the configuration files, only to
    > find more problems...
    > Some of the basic utitilties come up with sometimes incomplete border
    > buttons and NO window content - just blank white, while others are OK. The
    > offending ones I've noticed so far are: Terminal
    > *Time and Date
    > *Network
    > *Users and groups
    > *Network Tools - initial fdialog OK but clicking 'configure' brings up
    > blank 'Settings for..' dialog. This gets osme content after a while, but
    > clicking to change the configuration (it's not picking up its usual
    > address from dhcp) clobbers everything (the bottom bar appears and the
    > icons expand, but there's no response to clicks), including Ctrl-Alt-Del,
    > but not Ctrl-Alt-Back.
    > Ctrl-Alt-Back works as usual, but choosing either 'default', 'gnome' or
    > 'failsafe' leaves me with the screen background image and a white
    > rectangle in the top r-h corner, sometimes with an inner frame as if it's
    > a terminal window trying to make itself known. Well, what do you reckon?
    > It seems that's quite enough strangeness. It's especially problematic for
    > me as I work on the system daily and it's been perfect for a long time -
    > so much so that each day I turn it on and off without looking at its
    > screen (I use a KDM switch) - I only usually switch over to the server to
    > shutdown and do that entrirely by touch-typing.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    Do you have a main ext3 partition on a PERC RAID container?

  3. Re: (k)ubuntu problem

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:14:32 +0100, Dave Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> Having been successfully using a Dell PowerEdge SC430 for over a year with
    >> kubuntu/apache2/php/MySQL as my local server, it suddenly started
    >> misbehaving in weird ways.
    >> It's almost completely stopped serving up web pages. Strangely, my other
    >> machine will get some response from the domains the server hosts - but
    >> only after a while (minutes, then with failure to get MySQL connection)
    >> calling it by IP address always brings up the apache default page
    >> instantly.
    >> All the above fail on the server itself using any of 'localhost',
    >> '127.0.0.1' or its own IP address.
    >> So, I thought I should have a look at the configuration files, only to
    >> find more problems...
    >> Some of the basic utitilties come up with sometimes incomplete border
    >> buttons and NO window content - just blank white, while others are OK. The
    >> offending ones I've noticed so far are: Terminal
    >> *Time and Date
    >> *Network
    >> *Users and groups
    >> *Network Tools - initial fdialog OK but clicking 'configure' brings up
    >> blank 'Settings for..' dialog. This gets osme content after a while, but
    >> clicking to change the configuration (it's not picking up its usual
    >> address from dhcp) clobbers everything (the bottom bar appears and the
    >> icons expand, but there's no response to clicks), including Ctrl-Alt-Del,
    >> but not Ctrl-Alt-Back.
    >> Ctrl-Alt-Back works as usual, but choosing either 'default', 'gnome' or
    >> 'failsafe' leaves me with the screen background image and a white
    >> rectangle in the top r-h corner, sometimes with an inner frame as if it's
    >> a terminal window trying to make itself known. Well, what do you reckon?
    >> It seems that's quite enough strangeness. It's especially problematic for
    >> me as I work on the system daily and it's been perfect for a long time -
    >> so much so that each day I turn it on and off without looking at its
    >> screen (I use a KDM switch) - I only usually switch over to the server to
    >> shutdown and do that entrirely by touch-typing.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help?
    >>

    > Do you have a main ext3 partition on a PERC RAID container?

    main ext3

    - and nothing been changed that I know of
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread