Auto start a program at bootup - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Auto start a program at bootup - Ubuntu ; Can anyone tell me how to autostart a program at bootup. Windows uses a shortcut to the program on the startup folder Maurice Helwig...

  1. Auto start a program at bootup

    Can anyone tell me how to autostart a program at bootup.

    Windows uses a shortcut to the program on the startup folder

    Maurice Helwig

  2. Re: Auto start a program at bootup

    Maurice Helwig wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to autostart a program at bootup.
    >
    > Windows uses a shortcut to the program on the startup folder

    via /etc/init.d/rc.local, add your commands there.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.7

  3. Re: Auto start a program at bootup

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:36:50 +1000, Maurice Helwig wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me how to autostart a program at bootup.
    >
    > Windows uses a shortcut to the program on the startup folder

    The GUI way is to go to 'sessions' the default tab is startup programs.
    Use the 'Add' button.

  4. Re: Auto start a program at bootup

    * Maurice Helwig peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Can anyone tell me how to autostart a program at bootup.
    >
    > Windows uses a shortcut to the program on the startup folder

    That's not at bootup. That's at login.

    One option is usually to add a startup script to /etc/rc.local,
    depending on your distro.

    --
    Just yesterday morning, they let me know you were gone,
    Suzanne, the plans they made put an end to you,

  5. Re: Auto start a program at bootup

    Maurice Helwig wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to autostart a program at bootup.
    >
    > Windows uses a shortcut to the program on the startup folder
    >
    > Maurice Helwig

    Thanks for your help
    I am new to linux and get lost sometimes
    I have Ununtu 8.04 installed and am happy with it

    Maurice Helwig

  6. Re: Auto start a program at bootup

    On 2008-06-24, Maurice Helwig wrote:
    > Maurice Helwig wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me how to autostart a program at bootup.
    >>
    >> Windows uses a shortcut to the program on the startup folder
    >>
    >> Maurice Helwig

    > Thanks for your help
    > I am new to linux and get lost sometimes
    > I have Ununtu 8.04 installed and am happy with it

    You need to reD MANUAL PAGE OF CRONTAB

    man crontab

    and pay attention to

    @reboot