Change User Name - Gnome does not agree - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Change User Name - Gnome does not agree - Ubuntu ; Having a little tidy up today, I managed to mangle the machine. I wanted to change the default username I first set up on the box, so I found and run this command: usermod -l newname oldname Which worked just ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    Having a little tidy up today, I managed to mangle the machine.

    I wanted to change the default username I first set up on the box, so I
    found and run this command:

    usermod -l newname oldname

    Which worked just fine. However, I had not considered my home directory
    in the equation. So I renamed that and chown'd it to 'newname'. Shortly
    afterwards evolution threw a warning when it was polling for email,
    saying it was unable to find 'oldname'. Launching some other programs had
    the same problem, pan for one thing had kept all the usernames, but lost
    the subscribed groups list. I then noticed that the 'user switcher' was
    still running as 'oldname'.

    I figured out perhaps it was just gnome messing about, so I did a full on
    reboot (I know it's not windoze). Got to the login screen, put in
    'newname' and in we went but all my desktop settings had gone and the
    user switcher still has 'oldname' in it. Some of the programs still seem
    to be looking for /home/oldname because gnome still thinks I am 'oldname'.

    I've googled, played, I've sworn a bit, gone for a walk etc. I had made a
    backup of the '/home/oldname' so I copied all the files back into 'home/
    newname' after rebooting into a recovery version, changed the owner/group
    to 'newname' and rebooted.

    Again I can log in with 'newname' but the 'user switcher' is still
    calling me 'oldname'.

    I'm going for a longer walk - - -, anyone know how I can undo my **** up?

  2. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    A J Hawke wrote:
    > Some of the programs still seem
    > to be looking for /home/oldname because gnome still thinks I am 'oldname'.

    Of course it does! Why the hell would you rename the home directory? lol

  3. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    A J Hawke wrote:

    > I'm going for a longer walk - - -, anyone know how I can undo my **** up?

    Not sure how Ubuntu plays with things but /etc/passwd - 6th field, contains
    the path to your home directory. Does this match what you want / expect?

    Pete
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  4. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:28:02 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > A J Hawke wrote:
    >> Some of the programs still seem
    >> to be looking for /home/oldname because gnome still thinks I am
    >> 'oldname'.

    > Of course it does! Why the hell would you rename the home directory?
    > lol

    To match the new user name, it's kinda the done thing:

    username=gonk /home/gonk
    username=ping /home/pink
    username=old /home/old

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:49:40 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Not sure how Ubuntu plays with things but /etc/passwd - 6th field,
    > contains the path to your home directory. Does this match what you want
    > / expect?

    It does and is /home/newusername. The only thing that does not want to
    play nice with it are the majority of my applications and gnome - which
    still sees the wrong username.

  5. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    A J Hawke wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:28:02 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >> A J Hawke wrote:
    >>> Some of the programs still seem
    >>> to be looking for /home/oldname because gnome still thinks I am
    >>> 'oldname'.

    >> Of course it does! Why the hell would you rename the home directory?
    >> lol

    > To match the new user name, it's kinda the done thing:
    >
    > username=gonk /home/gonk
    > username=ping /home/pink
    > username=old /home/old

    Sounds like very bad OS policy to me, but then I would have thought most
    applications would just use ~ (tilde) or $home as home.

    Path variable somewhere?

    (You can tell I'm a Windows convert can't you?)

  6. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > A J Hawke wrote:

    >>> Of course it does! Why the hell would you rename the home directory?
    >>> lol

    >> To match the new user name, it's kinda the done thing:
    >>
    >> username=gonk /home/gonk
    >> username=ping /home/pink
    >> username=old /home/old

    > Sounds like very bad OS policy to me, but then I would have thought
    > most applications would just use ~ (tilde) or $home as home.
    >
    > Path variable somewhere?
    >
    > (You can tell I'm a Windows convert can't you?)

    Not really. I don't see much of a convert.

    --
    John

  7. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:50:09 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>
    >> Path variable somewhere?
    >>
    >> (You can tell I'm a Windows convert can't you?)

    > Not really. I don't see much of a convert.

    OUCH!! LOL!!

  8. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:43:24 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Sounds like very bad OS policy to me, but then I would have thought most
    > applications would just use ~ (tilde) or $home as home.
    >
    > Path variable somewhere?

    I don't know if I agree that it is a bad 'OS policy' as the core OS is
    acting as it should and everything works fine within a command line.

    It would appear to be GNOME (an application) that seems to have some bad
    policies to me. I've managed to 'cure' some of the bad karma by editing
    various application XML and config files, but GNOME 'user switcher' and
    evolution are still not wanting to play nicely.

    It tends to point to a flaw somewhere within GNOME. This morning, after a
    night of leaving the machine off I am greeted with a number of GNOME
    errors after logging in this morning:

    "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
    Some things, such as themes, sounds or background
    settings may not work corrtectly.
    The last error message was:
    Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: The remote
    application did not send a reply, the message bus security
    policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
    network connection was broken.

    GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time
    you log in."

    And then when I try and get my fonts and settings back to normal with
    GNOME 'appearance' I get:

    "Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'
    Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences man
    not take effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-gnome
    (e.g. KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the
    GNOME settings manager."

    Still, something to spend the time of day on. It's one of those wonderful
    things about Linux, such simple things take such a long time to resolve -
    but I still prefer it over windows any day of the week ;-)

  9. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> A J Hawke wrote:

    >>> To match the new user name, it's kinda the done thing:
    >>>
    >>> username=gonk /home/gonk
    >>> username=ping /home/pink
    >>> username=old /home/old

    >> Sounds like very bad OS policy to me, but then I would have thought
    >> most applications would just use ~ (tilde) or $home as home.
    >>
    >> Path variable somewhere?
    >>
    >> (You can tell I'm a Windows convert can't you?)

    > Not really. I don't see much of a convert.

    You're new to computers aren't you?

  10. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:

    >>> Sounds like very bad OS policy to me, but then I would have thought
    >>> most applications would just use ~ (tilde) or $home as home.
    >>>
    >>> Path variable somewhere?
    >>>
    >>> (You can tell I'm a Windows convert can't you?)

    >> Not really. I don't see much of a convert.
    >>

    > You're new to computers aren't you?

    Define "new."

    --
    John

  11. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    John F. Morse wrote:

    >>> Not really. I don't see much of a convert.
    >>>

    >> You're new to computers aren't you?

    > Define "new."

    It needs a definition?

  12. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    >>> You're new to computers aren't you?

    >> Define "new."
    >>

    > It needs a definition?

    Yes. It can mean different things to different people. I'm having a
    difficult time reading your mind.

    If you really want an answer, then properly define it. Otherwise I'll
    just write you off as a troll.

    When you're done, how about considering whether you really meant "You're
    'new to computers' aren't [are not] you?" or perhaps you meant "You're
    'new to computers' are you?"

    Or what I'd suggest: "Computers are new to you?" -- since computers are
    inanimate and really can't determine whether or not something is new" to
    them.

    --
    John

  13. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:16:03 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:
    > If you really want an answer, then properly define it. Otherwise I'll
    > just write you off as a troll.

    The rest of us already have, a look at some of his 'work' in uk.legal and
    various other haunts will give you a clearer picture.

    Funny that a little bit of fiddling with 'CORK SOAKER' give 'ARSE CORK
    OK' - fitting one would stop him speaking from it.

    --
    begin broken-news-reader.exe

  14. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    A J Hawke wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:16:03 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:
    >> If you really want an answer, then properly define it. Otherwise I'll
    >> just write you off as a troll.

    > The rest of us already have, a look at some of his 'work' in uk.legal and
    > various other haunts will give you a clearer picture.
    >
    > Funny that a little bit of fiddling with 'CORK SOAKER' give 'ARSE CORK
    > OK' - fitting one would stop him speaking from it.

    Trolls feeding trolls, interesting.

    As neither of you have had any useful input, I really couldn't give a
    **** about either you. Please do filter out my posts, I don't want you
    reading them, and I certainly do not want you responding to them.

    Back to your cave, troll.

  15. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > A J Hawke wrote:
    >> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:16:03 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:
    >>> If you really want an answer, then properly define it. Otherwise I'll
    >>> just write you off as a troll.

    >> The rest of us already have, a look at some of his 'work' in uk.legal
    >> and various other haunts will give you a clearer picture.
    >>
    >> Funny that a little bit of fiddling with 'CORK SOAKER' give 'ARSE
    >> CORK OK' - fitting one would stop him speaking from it.
    >>

    > Trolls feeding trolls, interesting.
    >
    > As neither of you have had any useful input, I really couldn't give a
    > **** about either you. Please do filter out my posts, I don't want
    > you reading them, and I certainly do not want you responding to them.
    >
    > Back to your cave, troll.

    As you have requested, it is done.

    Now do me the same favor and plonk me so you won't waste your time
    replying to the wind.

    --
    John

  16. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > I have cancer and I'm dying.

    Thank **** for that!

  17. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    In <654aj5-9s4.ln1@quarkbomb.dyndns.org> Cork Soaker:

    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> I have cancer and I'm dying.

    > Thank **** for that!

    Too bad plonking's the only feasible response I have ATM.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  18. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    > In <654aj5-9s4.ln1@quarkbomb.dyndns.org> Cork Soaker:
    >

    >> John F. Morse wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have cancer and I'm dying.
    >>>

    >> Thank **** for that!
    >>

    > Too bad plonking's the only feasible response I have ATM.

    I never posted any such statement in any article.

    That is a manufactured article by Cork Soaker, one really sick wacko.

    Thanks for quoting it or I would have never seen it. I suspect he
    figured that since he asked me to plonk him yesterday I wouldn't be
    aware of his filthy lie.

    He obviously didn't think anyone would look back up the thread and see
    his stupidity.

    He's going to lose his news account on Motzarella, which is my news
    server peer (check the Path in the header; read from right to left).

    --
    John

  19. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    In John F. Morse:

    [Snip...]

    > He obviously didn't think anyone would look back up the thread and see
    > his stupidity.

    I first thought this might be a forgery, and Corky not involved. But on
    header review, IMO it's not a forgery, and is Corky (of course, ICBW).

    At any rate, I don't need that sort of malice in my life.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  20. Re: Change User Name - Gnome does not agree

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    > In John F. Morse:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >

    >> He obviously didn't think anyone would look back up the thread and see
    >> his stupidity.
    >>

    > I first thought this might be a forgery, and Corky not involved. But on
    > header review, IMO it's not a forgery, and is Corky (of course, ICBW).
    >
    > At any rate, I don't need that sort of malice in my life.

    It most certainly is a forgery. Although it is probably from Cork Soaker
    (comparing to his other headers), he certainly forged the quoted
    material to something I never said.

    It's easy to look back up the thread to the message to which he was
    replying, and to any and all of the thread's messages. He simply replied
    to the message then edited the quote to make it look like I said
    something I didn't say.

    That is far more serious than his filthy language or ignorant opinions.
    He is entitled to those, but to state in writing that I said so-and-so
    when it is easy to see I didn't, it is serious.

    Too bad I'm not a lawyer, or know one who likes to slap these jerks
    around, and try to teach them something about honesty and decency.

    Obviously he is just another lowly troll, a simpleton at that, and was
    trying to troll me back into a flame war by posting a forged message
    quote, and knowing I stated he was plonked.

    This makes me write him off as undesirable, and there is no need to ever
    again read anything he might say. I do not do business with liars and
    thieves.

    --
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast