Proper grub command to refresh grub install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Proper grub command to refresh grub install - Ubuntu ; Due to some pendrive/Ubuntu installation tinkering my main system grub went a bit schizo and I want to make sure that when I politely ask Mr. Grub to update his required parameters, I do so in the nicest of syntax ...

  1. Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    Due to some pendrive/Ubuntu installation tinkering my main system grub
    went a bit schizo and I want to make sure that when I politely ask Mr.
    Grub to update his required parameters, I do so in the nicest of syntax
    fashion.

    Recommendations would be most appreciated....thanks! :-)

  2. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 05:03:58 +0000, propman wrote:

    > Due to some pendrive/Ubuntu installation tinkering my main system grub
    > went a bit schizo and I want to make sure that when I politely ask Mr.
    > Grub to update his required parameters, I do so in the nicest of syntax
    > fashion.
    >
    > Recommendations would be most appreciated....thanks! :-)

    The grub bootdisk would love to do that for you.

    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

  3. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 02:31:18 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 05:03:58 +0000, propman wrote:
    >

    >> Due to some pendrive/Ubuntu installation tinkering my main system grub
    >> went a bit schizo and I want to make sure that when I politely ask Mr.
    >> Grub to update his required parameters, I do so in the nicest of syntax
    >> fashion.
    >>
    >> Recommendations would be most appreciated....thanks! :-)

    > The grub bootdisk would love to do that for you.
    >
    > http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

    Thanks for the reply...been meaning to download that rascal and after
    your suggestion, grabbed the iso and burnt it. Seems it isn't going to
    be straight forward.....the problem I am running into is Ubuntu is
    installed on my system inside Vista and therefore partition managers for
    example aren't detecting the linux partitons (because they are installed
    in a Windows partition).....so right now, because of my unfamiliarity
    with exactly how things are setup and the length of time between the last
    time I played with linux, things are a little on the confusing side!

    Probably missing something fairly obvious ( sure wouldn't be the first
    time) but I'm sure with a little more exploring and straining of the old
    grey cells a solution will become apparent.

    Right now I have to boot up my linux system via a pendrive (which has a
    complete LiveCD distribution installed on it) and go through two Grub
    selection menus.....this process is the end result of a day spent
    researching and fixing my menu.lst file.

    When trying to boot from my laptop alone (without the pendrive plugged
    in) Grub seems to get to the 1.5 stage but then throws an Error 21; no
    other choice at this point but to reboot. Frustrating enough, Grub
    doesn't tell a person exactly what "file is missing" etc and at the point
    mentioned above, Grub doesn't enter interactive mode for a person to play
    around with the settings etc. This problem of programs and OSes throwing
    error messages without pertinent understandable information, IMHO, has
    been a *real* pain in the butt and big time waster over the years!

    Anyways, enough of my bitching.....onwards and upwards (at least one
    would hope so anyways)....thanks again for the reply. :-)

  4. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    propman wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply...been meaning to download that rascal and after
    > your suggestion, grabbed the iso and burnt it. Seems it isn't going to
    > be straight forward.....the problem I am running into is Ubuntu is
    > installed on my system inside Vista and therefore partition managers for
    > example aren't detecting the linux partitons (because they are installed
    > in a Windows partition).....

    I'm not a fan of the Wubi gimmick install, and this is a perfect example
    of why. It's fine for demo purposes, but shouldn't be considered a
    "real" Linux installtion.

    I'd recommend uninstalling it, partitioning your drive properly, and
    doing a conventional install.

    JMO. YMMV.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  5. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > propman wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the reply...been meaning to download that rascal and after
    >> your suggestion, grabbed the iso and burnt it. Seems it isn't going to
    >> be straight forward.....the problem I am running into is Ubuntu is
    >> installed on my system inside Vista and therefore partition managers for
    >> example aren't detecting the linux partitons (because they are installed
    >> in a Windows partition).....

    > I'm not a fan of the Wubi gimmick install, and this is a perfect example
    > of why. It's fine for demo purposes, but shouldn't be considered a
    > "real" Linux installtion.
    >
    > I'd recommend uninstalling it, partitioning your drive properly, and
    > doing a conventional install.
    >
    > JMO. YMMV.

    I've got to agree. Wubi is just a "persistent LiveCD" imho.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Li...eCDPersistence

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  6. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:31:03 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> propman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for the reply...been meaning to download that rascal and after
    >>> your suggestion, grabbed the iso and burnt it. Seems it isn't going
    >>> to be straight forward.....the problem I am running into is Ubuntu is
    >>> installed on my system inside Vista and therefore partition managers
    >>> for example aren't detecting the linux partitons (because they are
    >>> installed in a Windows partition).....

    >> I'm not a fan of the Wubi gimmick install, and this is a perfect
    >> example of why. It's fine for demo purposes, but shouldn't be
    >> considered a "real" Linux installtion.
    >>
    >> I'd recommend uninstalling it, partitioning your drive properly, and
    >> doing a conventional install.
    >>
    >> JMO. YMMV.

    > I've got to agree. Wubi is just a "persistent LiveCD" imho.
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence?

    action=show&redirect=LiveCDPersistence

    Thanks for the link....interesting and another link contained in that
    page is one I wished I'd seen before doing the pendrive install as it
    explains the grub gotcha's and the problem with Xserver barfing after
    installation.

    Off to do some more reading and tinkering..... :-)

  7. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 18:28:10 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > propman wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the reply...been meaning to download that rascal and after
    >> your suggestion, grabbed the iso and burnt it. Seems it isn't going to
    >> be straight forward.....the problem I am running into is Ubuntu is
    >> installed on my system inside Vista and therefore partition managers
    >> for example aren't detecting the linux partitons (because they are
    >> installed in a Windows partition).....

    > I'm not a fan of the Wubi gimmick install, and this is a perfect example
    > of why.

    IMHO, it's merely a case of the proper tools being unavailable right now;
    there maybe already tools or procedures already in place but at this
    point in time I have no knowledge of them.

    > It's fine for demo purposes, but shouldn't be considered a
    > "real" Linux installtion.

    First one would have to define "real".....one of the basic linux tenets
    is choice. Is Ubuntu "real" or a gimmick based on Debian?

    > I'd recommend uninstalling it, partitioning your drive properly, and
    > doing a conventional install.
    >
    > JMO. YMMV.

    Again one would have to define "partitioning your drive properly". :-)

  8. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    propman wrote:
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >>
    >> I'd recommend uninstalling it, partitioning your drive properly, and
    >> doing a conventional install.

    > Again one would have to define "partitioning your drive properly". :-)

    A good place to start would be to blow away the Vista partition. :O)

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  9. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:16:55 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > propman wrote:
    >> Mark Warner wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'd recommend uninstalling it, partitioning your drive properly, and
    >>> doing a conventional install.

    >> Again one would have to define "partitioning your drive properly". :-)

    > A good place to start would be to blow away the Vista partition. :O)

    ......and now for a good and resounding ** PLONK **

  10. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    propman wrote:
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >> propman wrote:
    >>> Again one would have to define "partitioning your drive properly". :-)

    >> A good place to start would be to blow away the Vista partition. :O)

    > .....and now for a good and resounding ** PLONK **

    Dude...

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  11. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    On 2008-06-22, propman wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:16:55 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:
    >
    >> propman wrote:

    >>> Again one would have to define "partitioning your drive properly". :-)

    >> A good place to start would be to blow away the Vista partition. :O)

    > .....and now for a good and resounding ** PLONK **

    Wow. A bit extreme for someone obviously funning a bit... See
    obvious smiley...

    Now let's define a "real" install. Wubi is trash. It doesn't create
    a linux partition, it creates a hidden file with a virtual filesystem.
    Of course grub cannot see this. It is designed to be booted from the
    NT Bootloader, with some helpers.

    If you have the space to put in a virtual filesystem, it makes much
    more sense to just resize your NTFS partition down a bit, and use that
    free space to build a real ext3 filesystem, that will work even when
    your NTFS becomes corrupted by the latest malware variant...

    It makes dual-boots much smoother, and it protects each filesystem
    from the other. And you can still read and write files to the NTFS
    from linux, or read the ext3 from Windows...

    And you would have saved yourself a whole bunch of time and
    aggravation...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  12. Re: Proper grub command to refresh grub install

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-06-22, propman wrote:

    >>> A good place to start would be to blow away the Vista
    >>> partition. :O)

    >> .....and now for a good and resounding ** PLONK **
    >>

    > Wow. A bit extreme for someone obviously funning a bit... See
    > obvious smiley...

    ROTFLMAO, I'm blowed if I can recall which I learned to decode and use
    first, :-) or PLONK!

    No matter, whichever it was, I've convinced myself I'm far from unique
    in one respect; arriving online so uptight that my ignorance was
    exceeded, but only by my arrogance.

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread