Alternative to HJ Split? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Alternative to HJ Split? - Ubuntu ; I've been searching through the synaptic Package Manager and cannot find an equivalent to Freebytes HJ Split. Is there something and I'm just not using the right search parameters?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Alternative to HJ Split?

    I've been searching through the synaptic Package Manager and cannot find
    an equivalent to Freebytes HJ Split. Is there something and I'm just not
    using the right search parameters?

  2. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:18:33 -0400, Meat Plow quoth:

    > Get the idea?
    >
    > Don't know how to split files but cat combines them.

    I tried using 'split' and it seemed to work. I think it would be included
    in any Linux distribution.

    Felmon

  3. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:38:19 -0400, Felmon wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:18:33 -0400, Meat Plow quoth:
    >

    >> Get the idea?
    >>
    >> Don't know how to split files but cat combines them.

    > I tried using 'split' and it seemed to work. I think it would be included
    > in any Linux distribution.

    Duh,, man split - "used to split files"

    lol

  4. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    Nico wrote:
    > I've been searching through the synaptic Package Manager and cannot find
    > an equivalent to Freebytes HJ Split. Is there something and I'm just not
    > using the right search parameters?

    Depends. WTF does HJ split do? What do you need your equivalent to do?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    > I've been searching through the synaptic Package Manager and cannot find
    > an equivalent to Freebytes HJ Split. Is there something and I'm just not
    > using the right search parameters?

    I couldn't find what I wanted in Synaptic either. Try hoz at:
    hoz.sourceforge.net They also have a Windows version if needed. It's a
    little confusing at first looking at the program, but it uses "cut" and
    "Paste" to split and rejoin.

    Jim

  6. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:50:21 -0500, Nico wrote:

    > I've been searching through the synaptic Package Manager and cannot find
    > an equivalent to Freebytes HJ Split. Is there something and I'm just not
    > using the right search parameters?

    Look at Freebytes' web page:
    http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/
    Hj Split for Linux-Freeware Linux file splitter with full graphical user-
    interface (screenshot) on Gnome and KDE. Compatible with the other
    HJSplit versions.
    (requires Kylix library,also available there)

    Lx Split-command line splitter/joiner,open source,GPL,compatible with any
    HJSplit version

    Dave

    --
    Registered Linux user # 444770
    Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a

  7. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    Nico wrote:
    > I've been searching through the synaptic Package Manager and cannot find
    > an equivalent to Freebytes HJ Split. Is there something and I'm just not
    > using the right search parameters?

    Use 7-zip to create multi-volume archives in store mode, and then use
    7-zip again to decompress them.

    7z a archive.7z files.tar.gz -mx0 -v100000000

    Note that 7z doesn't know linux permission and owner. So use tar first
    to store them into a file.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.7

  8. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    > Use 7-zip to create multi-volume archives in store mode, and then use
    > 7-zip again to decompress them.
    >
    > 7z a archive.7z files.tar.gz -mx0 -v100000000
    >
    > Note that 7z doesn't know linux permission and owner. So use tar first
    > to store them into a file.

    Good thing about 7-zip: work on both Linux and Window$.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.7
    ^ ^ 20:09:01 up 10:08 2 users load average: 1.01 1.08 1.03
    (CSSA):

  9. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:

    >> Use 7-zip to create multi-volume archives in store mode, and then
    >> use 7-zip again to decompress them.
    >>
    >> 7z a archive.7z files.tar.gz -mx0 -v100000000
    >>
    >> Note that 7z doesn't know linux permission and owner. So use tar
    >> first to store them into a file.

    > Good thing about 7-zip: work on both Linux and Window$.

    Try zip (and unzip) from info-zip. Also try to leave attributions
    for material you quote.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  10. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    > Note that 7z doesn't know linux permission and owner. So use tar first
    > to store them into a file.

    Example of using both tar and 7z:

    tar cpfv - -T ${FILELIST} -X $XCLUDE | 7z a -si $OUTFILE

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.7
    ^ ^ 20:57:01 up 10:56 1 user load average: 1.06 1.05 1.01
    (CSSA):

  11. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    > Try zip (and unzip) from info-zip.

    I guess you meant zipsplit.

    > Also try to leave attributions for material you quote.

    Avoiding excessive quotes.

    The reader could always trace backward.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.7
    ^ ^ 21:00:01 up 10:59 2 users load average: 1.00 1.02 1.00
    (CSSA):

  12. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote:

    >> Try zip (and unzip) from info-zip.

    > I guess you meant zipsplit.

    No, I meant zip and unzip.

    >> Also try to leave attributions for material you quote.

    > Avoiding excessive quotes.

    Admirable. This means snip the quotations.

    > The reader could always trace backward.

    There is no backward behind the space for the attributes. Without
    them we have no idea who wrote what. In addition you are failing
    to acknowledge the contributions of others.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  13. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > The reader could always trace backward.

    But they have no idea who said what unless you leave the quote
    attribution in. See the bit above?
    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by
    typing:"

    Anyone knows that you said the bit after the ">"

    Don't be so arrogant as to assuming everyone uses their newsreader as
    you do. I hide all read messages. Your way makes it impossible to know
    who your are quoting.

    Please take off your blinkers.

    TIA.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

  14. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:18:33 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > HJ Split is a .001 .002 splitter/combiner? You can use the CAT command
    > to combine those.
    >
    > Use wild cards for the file names something like this
    >
    > file names are porno.mpg.001 thru say porno.mpg.100
    >
    > cat *porno* >porno.mpg.
    >
    > Get the idea?

    Worked like a charm. Thank you for taking the time to answer. Much
    appreciated.

  15. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:01:50 -0500, Nico wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 22:18:33 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>
    >> HJ Split is a .001 .002 splitter/combiner? You can use the CAT command
    >> to combine those.
    >>
    >> Use wild cards for the file names something like this
    >>
    >> file names are porno.mpg.001 thru say porno.mpg.100
    >>
    >> cat *porno* >porno.mpg.
    >>
    >> Get the idea?
    >>

    > Worked like a charm. Thank you for taking the time to answer. Much
    > appreciated.

    No problem, I asked the same question here several months ago and was
    told about the cat command. For future reference you can name the output
    file anything you wish.

  16. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:38:12 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > No problem, I asked the same question here several months ago and was
    > told about the cat command. For future reference you can name the output
    > file anything you wish.

    That I realized. Plus having a bunch of files all with the same name
    would become confusing rather quickly!

  17. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    Nico wrote:

    > I've been searching through the synaptic Package Manager and cannot find
    > an equivalent to Freebytes HJ Split. Is there something and I'm just not
    > using the right search parameters?

    Try:

    #emerge lxsplit

  18. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    Al wrote:

    > Nico wrote:
    >
    >> I've been searching through the synaptic Package Manager and cannot find
    >> an equivalent to Freebytes HJ Split. Is there something and I'm just not
    >> using the right search parameters?

    > Try:
    >
    > #emerge lxsplit

    Oops forgot I was on a.o.l.u

    On forums

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxsplit

  19. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    Meat Plow wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > No problem, I asked the same question here several months ago and
    > was told about the cat command. For future reference you can name
    > the output file anything you wish.

    cat is one of the fundamental unix/linux/posix CLI commands. You
    should be familiar with all of them. Get a suitable book and find
    out how to open a terminal window.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  20. Re: Alternative to HJ Split?

    > Don't be so arrogant as to assuming everyone uses their newsreader as
    > you do. I hide all read messages. Your way makes it impossible to know
    > who your are quoting.

    Even SLNR shows the thread view as in Thunderbird....

    > Please take off your blinkers.

    I have my reason to use my current signature.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.25.7
    ^ ^ 12:34:01 up 36 min 0 users load average: 1.12 1.04 0.96
    (CSSA):

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast