Interesting Wireless experience today - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Interesting Wireless experience today - Ubuntu ; I dusted off my laptop today and decided to install Hardy on it. Of course, this particular laptop happens to have one of the problematic broadcom chipsets for wireless. So go install hardy and try to get the wireless working. ...

  1. Interesting Wireless experience today

    I dusted off my laptop today and decided to install Hardy on it. Of
    course, this particular laptop happens to have one of the problematic
    broadcom chipsets for wireless.

    So go install hardy and try to get the wireless working. Ubuntu detects
    it's there, installs the necessary stuff via the restricted driver
    manager but it just will not work.

    So eventually I just give up and say forget it, I have a pcmcia intel
    wireless card I can just plug in instead and screw the built in wireless.
    Let me at least go into the bios and disable it...

    So I go into the bios, err wait a second...it's already set to disabled
    in the bios! No wonder ubuntu couldn't get it to work! Everything works
    flawessly now that I actually enabled it in the bios.

    On that note, I just realized, this may actually be worth something
    looking into for others who potentially have issues with their laptop,
    hardy and the broadcom wireless. I didn't expect it to be disabled in the
    bios since Ubuntu detected it...

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: Interesting Wireless experience today

    Stephan Rose illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I dusted off my laptop today and decided to install Hardy on it. Of
    > course, this particular laptop happens to have one of the problematic
    > broadcom chipsets for wireless.
    >
    > So go install hardy and try to get the wireless working. Ubuntu detects
    > it's there, installs the necessary stuff via the restricted driver
    > manager but it just will not work.
    >
    > So eventually I just give up and say forget it, I have a pcmcia intel
    > wireless card I can just plug in instead and screw the built in wireless.
    > Let me at least go into the bios and disable it...
    >
    > So I go into the bios, err wait a second...it's already set to disabled
    > in the bios! No wonder ubuntu couldn't get it to work! Everything works
    > flawessly now that I actually enabled it in the bios.
    >
    > On that note, I just realized, this may actually be worth something
    > looking into for others who potentially have issues with their laptop,
    > hardy and the broadcom wireless. I didn't expect it to be disabled in the
    > bios since Ubuntu detected it...

    Interesting. Wireless disabled in the BIOS. That's madness. Innit?

    I've had a similar experience. All hardware worked perfectly on a
    fresh install on an Acer 8920G

    The one exception being that I had to change from ALSA to OSS4 to get
    the Intel ICH8 sound system. Not too much effort though.

    --
    Moog

    “Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?”

+ Reply to Thread