Newb questions... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newb questions... - Ubuntu ; A friend of mine gave me an Ubuntu boot disk and walked me through installing it on my system and configuring it for my needs (Apache web host with MySQL). Works great on my system, no problems. I just ordered ...

  1. Newb questions...

    A friend of mine gave me an Ubuntu boot disk and walked me through
    installing it on my system and configuring it for my needs (Apache web
    host with MySQL). Works great on my system, no problems.

    I just ordered parts to upgrade my system from a 32-bit P4 to a 64-bit
    AMD X2. What do I need to be looking for to install a 64-bit Ubuntu on
    my new system?

    When I look for drivers, do I need to specifically look for 64-bit
    drivers? Or will anything labled "Linux driver" work?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Newb questions...

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:24:09 -0500, Dave wrote:

    > A friend of mine gave me an Ubuntu boot disk and walked me through
    > installing it on my system and configuring it for my needs (Apache web
    > host with MySQL). Works great on my system, no problems.
    >
    > I just ordered parts to upgrade my system from a 32-bit P4 to a 64-bit
    > AMD X2. What do I need to be looking for to install a 64-bit Ubuntu on
    > my new system?
    >
    > When I look for drivers, do I need to specifically look for 64-bit
    > drivers? Or will anything labled "Linux driver" work?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You shouldn't have any trouble with a desktop motherboard as long as you
    are using a recent distro. You will need to download the 64 bit version
    and burn yourself a new CD. You can also put the 64 bit LiveCD onto a
    FLASH key and install it from there, it's faster than from a CD.

    If you want to be on the safe side you should look up the motherboard
    that you ordered on Newegg and search the reviews for the work Linux,
    there should be a few reviews where people say what there Linux
    experiences were.

  3. Re: Newb questions...

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:24:09 -0500, Dave wrote:

    > A friend of mine gave me an Ubuntu boot disk and walked me through
    > installing it on my system and configuring it for my needs (Apache web
    > host with MySQL). Works great on my system, no problems.
    >
    > I just ordered parts to upgrade my system from a 32-bit P4 to a 64-bit
    > AMD X2. What do I need to be looking for to install a 64-bit Ubuntu on
    > my new system?
    >
    > When I look for drivers, do I need to specifically look for 64-bit
    > drivers? Or will anything labled "Linux driver" work?
    >
    > Thanks!

    As a user of 64 bit Ubuntu, I would recommend installing the 32 bit
    version, instead. Though Linux driver support from third parties is way
    better than it was even a year ago, and is getting better every day, it is
    still easier to find support for 32 bit systems than for 64 bit ones. I
    suspect that the performance improvement for 64 bit is not so great as to
    justify the added aggravation.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar